PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Wilson Recon SR Tactical

FBF
02-18-15, 21:19
Hey guys, I am a Wilson pistol freak, but am just now looking for a quality AR. I have a Bushmaster, which my son in law will get. I have my eye on the Wilson Recon SR Tactical in 556, and would buy a can to fit. Opinions?

Kain
02-18-15, 21:25
What are you wanting from the rifle? That is the first question.

Wilson makes awesome 1911s, however most here will tell you that their ARs leave a bit to be desired. For the coin for the WC, over $2k, I would be looking at something like a Noveske. Or, putting together a BCM with everything I could want, from trigger, to rail, and still have coin left over for mags, ammo, optic. For the money I just feel there are other options that are better.

Onyx Z
02-18-15, 21:29
What are you wanting from the rifle? That is the first question.

Wilson makes awesome 1911s, however most here will tell you that their ARs leave a bit to be desired. For the coin for the WC, over $2k, I would be looking at something like a Noveske. Or, putting together a BCM with everything I could want, from trigger, to rail, and still have coin left over for mags, ammo, optic. For the money I just feel there are other options that are better.

I 100% agree. There are much better options.

MegademiC
02-18-15, 21:44
KAC is in that price range, and makes one of the best rifles you can buy.

FBF
02-18-15, 21:49
Thanks guys. I have spent enough time on forums to know I should have stated the intended use. Sorry. I will shoot for fun and let my wife shoot it, but will also keep it in the bedroom. I know a ton about 1911s, but don't know squat about ARs. I would never take on a build--do not have the time, and as stated in my signature, I don't like taking something on that I'm not going to do 100%.

Let me also mention I have a very close relationship with the folks at Wilson. I am not wedded to them, so to speak, but I don't mind spending more for one of their products. Their customer service is so outstanding, it would be hard for me to leave.

I really should have given more thought to my question. I was not looking as much for the value as I was for features this particular rifle does not have, or those it does have that are not up to snuff, so to speak. For instance, do the Noveske rifles have features the Wilson does not? Do other Wilsons have features better than this one?

I hope I did not waste anyone's time. I am really a newbie to ARs.

GH41
02-19-15, 06:46
I tend to look at rifles like the Wilson in a different way. If you bought a base rifle from a respected manufacture and equipped it with the accessories the Wilson has you probably couldn't do it for less than 2 K. The difference would be the heart of the gun. Names like BCM are respected because they run! Tens of thousands of bullets have gone through BCM rifles for every one fired from a Wilson. The Wilson would make a fine play gun but I would be uncomfortable depending on it as bedroom gun. It doesn't sound like you have a problem spending money. Get the Wilson for play and a 6920 for home defense. Your are going to end up with more than one AR anyway. May as well buy two at a time!

djegators
02-19-15, 07:06
Thanks guys. I have spent enough time on forums to know I should have stated the intended use. Sorry. I will shoot for fun and let my wife shoot it, but will also keep it in the bedroom. I know a ton about 1911s, but don't know squat about ARs. I would never take on a build--do not have the time, and as stated in my signature, I don't like taking something on that I'm not going to do 100%.

Let me also mention I have a very close relationship with the folks at Wilson. I am not wedded to them, so to speak, but I don't mind spending more for one of their products. Their customer service is so outstanding, it would be hard for me to leave.

I really should have given more thought to my question. I was not looking as much for the value as I was for features this particular rifle does not have, or those it does have that are not up to snuff, so to speak. For instance, do the Noveske rifles have features the Wilson does not? Do other Wilsons have features better than this one?

For what you want to use it for, look for a Colt 6920 on sale for around $900 and put an AImpoint PRO on it, spend the rest of the money on ammo.

sidewaysil80
02-19-15, 07:15
One of the best, if not the best makers of the 1911...no questions. However I would not spend the money on one of their AR's. I'm sure its fine and functions, but much better can be had for that price.

Knights Armament, Larue, or Noveske; they are quite literally the Ed Brown, Wilson, and Nighthawk of the AR15. They will net you the greatest resale value and the highest level of accuracy and performance. Wilson Combat does not specialize in the AR15, they offer nothing groundbreaking nor appealing worth their $2k sticker price.

I'm not bashing them as a company (I'm literally saving towards one of their pistols), but the AR is vastly different from a 1911 and it becomes very hard to differentiate and justify a significantly higher price tag. The top 1911 smiths are showcasing hand made craftsmanship, quality, and reliability to justify price. The AR-15 is much simpler and far less labor intensive.

Amur
02-19-15, 19:07
I will disagree with pretty much everyone else here:

1) by the time you buy the colt for 900, get a better rail, trigger, grip, stock etc....the price differance is not as big as they make it seem. BTW pretty sure wilson guarantees sub MOA a colt or BCM ELW will not
2) while there is no doubt that BCM/colt etc have a proven track record, there have been no documented issues with wilson rifles and no one has given you a solid reason not to buy one other than "get a bcm" or you can save 500$.
3) sure if I was going to Afghanistan I would go with a proven combat weapon like bCM/colt/kac but you have concerns about wilson as a bedroom gun? This guys seems cool, he respects weapons etc but he's not going to helo jump into Iran next week. I am sure if you can get through 500-1000 trouble free rounds with his wife ar the range it will surely be enought to shoot the thugs that knock in his front down.
4) you own 3k+ 1911's you like some fine weapons. As a guy who only own KAC rifles now, but in past has owned BCM and Noveske also I can tell you the fit and finish of the Wilson will most likely be better than colt/BCM/Kac more similar to a NOVESKE. Now fit and finish does not mean anything but for and finish. But some people really appreciate fit and finish and I bet you do.

Bottom line for me: there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Wilson ar that I know of. (Everyone here has stated no other reason other than, I think brand X is the value dollar play). Top quality fit and finish, a sub MOA guarentee and a great current existing relation of trust with the manufacturer are more than enough reason for me to justify a Wilson if it makes you happy.

I happen to also love a theme in my personal weapon selection (because I am Not in delta force and do this for fun) and think having a Wilson 1911 and matching rifle as my HD set up would be freaking awesome!!!!

Amur
02-19-15, 19:27
Also while it will certainly be expensive you know if you call up Wilson and order a SR and matching suppresor it will be done right and all yu will have to do is pick it up with out any further home gun smithing or research on your part. If you got the coin and want that level of service, go for it....(although I know nothing about their suppresors)

cfrock
02-19-15, 20:59
For a bedroom gun wouldn't you want the most dependable, proven gun you could source? I do.

1911s is Wilson's game; like others have stated the Supergrade of ARs they are not. In that price range I'd go Knights and be done with it. Or save a bit of money and go DD (with furniture swap) or BCM. You researched and trusted in Wilson's reputation of quality 1911s , bought in and appear to be very satisfied. Why wouldn't you trust in in the reputations of the AR world?

I do enjoy shooting the Xtac.

Amur
02-19-15, 21:05
For a bedroom gun wouldn't you want the most dependable, proven gun you could source? I do. .

But you also have 0 reason to assume the wilson is not dependable is all i am saying. Inductive logic is often faulty.

cfrock
02-19-15, 21:33
But you also have 0 reason to assume the wilson is not dependable is all i am saying. Inductive logic is often faulty.

And so far, 0 reason to believe it is, no?
Adimttedly, the OP knows little of ARs. So, if he were to deduce from the opinions or experiences of the forum members here that certain brands, configs, etc. are better in some way (meaningful or otherwise) it becomes reasonable to him. After all it's safe to assume he's asking in hopes of getting a response.

murphman
02-19-15, 21:38

Lets make this easy, go to the BCM website and choose the upper of your liking while the free BCG offer is still valid. Next go to Grant at G&Rtactical and purchase a BCM complete lower and have him upgrade the trigger. Done, you just build a rifle without actually building it and saved a whole lota cash. Sorry for any typos as i just picked up a bottle of Karbach BBH and am enjoying the hell out of it.

Amur
02-19-15, 22:03
Listen I have no dog in this fight. I have never bought or owned a single Wilson product and have nothing but respect for BCM kac etc. I just think it's a little cliche these days to answer every thread with "just get a BCM". I like some of the things Wilson is offering like their 308 project etc.

Wilson has a great reputation as a firearms shop and has been building AR's for a few years now and have not had any reported issues as far as I know. To say you should not get one because it might not be reliable is pretty ridiculous with out further reasoning behind it.

And BTW again I will mention they guarentee sub MOA....BCM and KAC won't do that.

I am not saying the proven brands are bad advice. But when a guy says I love wilson, I respect the company and am thinking about dropping coin a sexy ass Wilson AR and people are like....just buy a 900$ colt.....I just wonder if they actually know what they are talking about or just repeating what they think the herd accepts.

There has not been a single factual point in this post that has stated any reason why a BCM is better than a Wilson. The Wilson will have better fit and finish and is sub MOA. Has anyone who posted here every even shot a Wilson AR? Why are you qualified to say a BCM is better?

That's it's for me. Thanks I appreciate the conversation. It's not about BCM vs Wilson for me but more the negative attitude to a manufacturer that dose'nt deserve it...(also a site sponsor BTW)

Kain
02-19-15, 22:29
I do not see a sub MOA guarantee for the model the OP mentioned in his post on the page on WC's site. It is late and I may have missed it, but it is not something they are pushing as a selling point from what I can see.

cfrock
02-19-15, 22:51
Not bashing Wilson at all; been a customer twice. I just choose to spend my AR dollars elsewhere.
I think the point was made that there are more proven shops in the AR field; I agree.

JG007
02-19-15, 23:15
If a guy wanted to spend 5k for a nice 1911, Wilson would be the top or one of the top recommendations, especially if the guy said he was leaning towards some new 1911 company without a track record

Same here, noveske, KAC, vltor, are going to be the slightly pricier top tier AR's

l8apex
02-19-15, 23:26
If you have the coin, by all means get the Wilson. Though I don't own one, you're right about their customer service as I experienced it with their 1911s. There are many choices when it comes to ARs, with your current history with them get one. What you can do is research other brands in that price range and see if any fit your needs. KAC, Noveske, Rainier Arms Super Match, Larue, custom build from HCS and so on. Customer service is a big thing, one of the reasons I keep getting more Vortex products. Good luck in the search, but most of all have fun.

DarkTemplars
02-20-15, 06:06
I've got Wilson pistols and ARs. Well, a complete 6.8 with a 5.56 and 458 uppers. I have had no issues from them. All are accurate and the 6.8 is a tack-driver.

When it comes to reliability, I'm sure 10 years from now after there more and more WC out there, they will be found to be just as reliable as any other high end AR. I've never had an issue with customer service from them.

I've been happy with my AR purchases from them and wouldn't change my mind about them. But everyone out there is going to have "their choice" for weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCGREENSWAMP13
02-20-15, 07:17
Lets make this easy, go to the BCM website and choose the upper of your liking while the free BCG offer is still valid. Next go to Grant at G&Rtactical and purchase a BCM complete lower and have him upgrade the trigger. Done, you just build a rifle without actually building it and saved a whole lota cash. Sorry for any typos as i just picked up a bottle of Karbach BBH and am enjoying the hell out of it.

I did that exact thing, bought a BCM upper, dd rail, ss barrel with free bcg. Went to GnR and got the BCM lower and a few extras for $1250 all together. Plenty of money left over for Ammo if you have a $2000 buget. But that's just my 2cents. Btw my 6920 was $930 and its my favorite rifle (first love type of thing)

djegators
02-20-15, 08:18
I didn't suggest the 6920 as a means of suggesting any problems with WC, it was an effort to offer the OP a great choice for his needs for a lot less money. Again, 6920 + PRO = very useful and high quality setup for most needs.

VIP3R 237
02-20-15, 09:53
I have put a couple hundred rounds through a Wilson, and I'll be honest it's nothing special. Sure it's a well built reliable accurate rifle, but there are many that can claim the same thing on the market. For the price I'll take a sr15 everytime, it's lighter, smoother, has the e3 enhancements, and has Ambi controls. My sr15's have all shot well with good ammo, and if you're looking for guaranteed sub Moa the LPR model takes care of that.

FBF
02-20-15, 13:34
Wow, great responses by you all. I applaud each of you for carrying on a respectful dialogue. You don't see that in a lot of forums.

I fully expected differing opinions, just like Wilson/Brown/Baer/Nighthawk. I just happen to be a Wilson junkie. So, in a sense, my inquiry was really talk me out of a Wilson. Price is certainly a negative on the Wilson side. Fit, finish and aesthetics go to Wilson. One actual Wilson owner is very happy with them. Another has shot one, and has suggested another brand. Other than that, there are no negative experience-based reliability problems. And by the way, the gun will reside in my bedroom during the night, along with my Brigadier Tactical Beretta and Wilson Stealth .38 Super.

Let me shift gears here. A good forum friend with a lot of battlefield action suggested I consider .308 vs. .556. An equally good forum friend suggested I stick with .556, citing weight and increased retort. The Wilson .308 is touted as being much lighter than other .308s. The retort I will address with a can. On the plus .308 side, I could deer hunt with it. May I have your thoughts and reasoning?

DarkTemplars
02-20-15, 13:37
I haven't had a chance to shoot one, but I'm considering picking up one of the 308s. I would sell my 30-06 to help defray the cost.

There are a couple of reviews of the floating around, but YMMV.

plouffedaddy
02-20-15, 13:54
I haven't had a chance to shoot one, but I'm considering picking up one of the 308s. I would sell my 30-06 to help defray the cost.

There are a couple of reviews of the floating around, but YMMV.

Mine should be in tomorrow ;)

FBF
02-20-15, 13:58
Mine should be in tomorrow ;)

I certainly would appreciate your evaluation asap, even on weight, fit, finish etc before you shoot it.

FourT6and2
02-21-15, 11:06
I was in the exact same boat, OP. I've been shooting nice 1911s for a while. I've shot a few Wilsons, however I am more in the Ed Brown camp. Though I'd love to have a Wilson Professional. Here's my take on things:

Unlike the 1911 world, there is really zero "hand fitting" of parts in an AR15. It's not like a gun smith is sitting there grinding and filing metal to make parts fit together perfectly. The receivers are either billet or forged. And that's the end of it. Paying $2k for a Wilson or Noveske... your rifle won't be much different in functionality or fit than many others. Very few companies "build" an AR15. They are merely "assembled," if that makes sense.

You're literally paying for the logo that's engraved on the lower. That said, the aesthetics of the rifle will be different. And the accessories that come with the rifle, stock, will be different (trigger, BCG, sights, rails, stock, grip, etc.). But all of those things can be changed after the fact. The core of the rifle that you're paying for is the receivers (billet vs forged) and the barrel.

Initially, I was like... damn I want a Wilson Combat AR. They look sick. But then I realized a few things. One, you are locked into a proprietary rail mounting system. And other than their barrels (which admittedly have a good reputation) and trigger, there's nothing different about a Wilson compared to... say... a Noveske. I decided to go with a Noveske. But again, nothing that different with one of those compared to many other ARs. But I liked the Keymod system and the sleek look of the receivers. Not gaudy. Hand guard flows nicely into the receiver. Good stainless barrel. Comes with decent sights. Good pistol grip. Good stock. And good customer service. I changed out the stock trigger for a Wilson TTU and called it a day. I'm a happy camper.

If you were to go with a Wilson, I'd go with one of their other calibers that you might not be able to get with any of the other AR companies out there at the moment. But you mentioned maybe a .308. I like the idea of that because you can hunt with it and it might be better at longer ranges. And maybe (?) more accuracy potential for target shooting? I'm not 100% sure on that one. And I'd go with their billet receivers. Because other than that, their standard AR model is no different from anybody else's when you get down to it. Because no AR is that different from any other AR. They are not custom-made, hand-fitted firearms like some 1911s. But if you like Wilson Combat, get one. It won't be any better or worse than other expensive ARs. It'll just have Wilson's name on the side is all. :)

Having said all that, and that I'm happy with my Noveske, if I did it all over again, I would 100% just build my own and go with Mega. I will be doing that with a Mega .308 Ma-Ten. After researching, once you have all the parts and tools, it shouldn't take more than a day to completely assemble an AR15.

FBF
02-21-15, 14:56
I was in the exact same boat, OP. I've been shooting nice 1911s for a while. I've shot a few Wilsons, however I am more in the Ed Brown camp. Though I'd love to have a Wilson Professional. Here's my take on things:

Unlike the 1911 world, there is really zero "hand fitting" of parts in an AR15. It's not like a gun smith is sitting there grinding and filing metal to make parts fit together perfectly. The receivers are either billet or forged. And that's the end of it. Paying $2k for a Wilson or Noveske... your rifle won't be much different in functionality or fit than many others. Very few companies "build" an AR15. They are merely "assembled," if that makes sense.

You're literally paying for the logo that's engraved on the lower. That said, the aesthetics of the rifle will be different. And the accessories that come with the rifle, stock, will be different (trigger, BCG, sights, rails, stock, grip, etc.). But all of those things can be changed after the fact. The core of the rifle that you're paying for is the receivers (billet vs forged) and the barrel.

Initially, I was like... damn I want a Wilson Combat AR. They look sick. But then I realized a few things. One, you are locked into a proprietary rail mounting system. And other than their barrels (which admittedly have a good reputation) and trigger, there's nothing different about a Wilson compared to... say... a Noveske. I decided to go with a Noveske. But again, nothing that different with one of those compared to many other ARs. But I liked the Keymod system and the sleek look of the receivers. Not gaudy. Hand guard flows nicely into the receiver. Good stainless barrel. Comes with decent sights. Good pistol grip. Good stock. And good customer service. I changed out the stock trigger for a Wilson TTU and called it a day. I'm a happy camper.

If you were to go with a Wilson, I'd go with one of their other calibers that you might not be able to get with any of the other AR companies out there at the moment. But you mentioned maybe a .308. I like the idea of that because you can hunt with it and it might be better at longer ranges. And maybe (?) more accuracy potential for target shooting? I'm not 100% sure on that one. And I'd go with their billet receivers. Because other than that, their standard AR model is no different from anybody else's when you get down to it. Because no AR is that different from any other AR. They are not custom-made, hand-fitted firearms like some 1911s. But if you like Wilson Combat, get one. It won't be any better or worse than other expensive ARs. It'll just have Wilson's name on the side is all. :)

Having said all that, and that I'm happy with my Noveske, if I did it all over again, I would 100% just build my own and go with Mega. I will be doing that with a Mega .308 Ma-Ten. After researching, once you have all the parts and tools, it shouldn't take more than a day to completely assemble an AR15.

Thanks Four. Very nice analysis.

Eurodriver
02-21-15, 19:01
I have seen Wilson ARs and Noveske ARs.

I will concur with what's said above that if you are looking for Wilson quality and reliability in the AR15 world, you should go with Noveske.

I will also say Amur has made some good points, however, and if you want a Wilson just get a Wilson. As others have said, it sounds like you're not pressed for coin and you're not doing COIN missions. A Wilson will be a fine addition.

I would not get a .308 as a first AR.

Amur
02-21-15, 19:28
Here is the other thing that is throwing me off. Guy walks in and says I think I want a BMW(Wilson) Everyone immediately goes: Just get a Toyota camery (colt) or Honda accord (BCM) it's cheaper and wil get you the store just as well if not better.

This is not un-true, but the guy is Beemer shopping, he should be comparing to Mercedes (noveske) Audi (KAC) and Cadillac (Larue etc)

Final message to the OP: you say you want a top of the line luxery rifle set up and ready to go with out any further tinkering on your side:

Take a look at the following and pick the one that best floats your not. They will all do exactly what you need them to:

KAC
Noveske
Larue
Wilson

Also, if you are thinking you want to add a Suppresor consider that while fungible; easiest most common matchs are:
KAC-kac
Larue-they specifically suggest Surefire and can be ordered with their muzzle devices
Wilson-Wilson
Noveske-seem to ship a lot with ACC muzzle ends

Now that is how you go luxery rifle shopping!!!!

F-Trooper05
02-21-15, 23:06
Paul Howe was rocking his WC at his pistol/carbine instructor course I was at in November. It worked as well as everyone else's rifle.

JiminAZ
02-21-15, 23:46
I was in your exact same boat a few years ago. I am high end 1911 guy, and I own or have owned just about all of them. At one point I had over 50 1911's. I have since settled on what works for me I have been getting rid of a lot of mediocre guns that I tried along the way.

So, when the black rifle disease hit, I decided that I didn't want to try to own everything over the course of a decade like I had done with 1911s. I asked myself, what is the Wilson CQB of the AR world? After some research I decided on the KAC SR15. Bought a couple of them and never looked back. Done deal. Now I just shoot and enjoy.

This thread put me over the line: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?58268-What-makes-the-Knights-Armament-SR-15-E3-5-56mm-rifle-such-a-good-rifle

djegators
02-22-15, 06:17
Paul Howe was rocking his WC at his pistol/carbine instructor course I was at in November. It worked as well as everyone else's rifle.

Good to know. And if I knew I would get the same carbine that they would ship to Paul Howe, that certainly increase the value.

Nevermiss
02-22-15, 21:33
I have 10 ARs and most of the brands mentioned here with the exception of WC. They all serve a purpose and do so just fine. Shocked nobody has mentioned JP rifles. I suggest taking a look at JP as well. If I had to get rid of all my ARs, it would be really difficult to decide which of my two JPs I'd keep.

Even if you don't get one as your first, you owe it to yourself to eventually get one, especially if like and appreciate the finer things in life. Then shoot the hell out of it. You should also get a LaRue at some point too. Then again I really like my Noveskes and the KAC SR15 too.

Oh hell, you really can't go wrong with most all of the ARs mentioned in this thread.

You'll get the bug and the next thing you know you'll be getting stamps for SBRs and suppressors. Sorry, my post is pretty useless except to warn you of the addiction.

plouffedaddy
02-23-15, 18:08
http://i.imgur.com/CEXVIbXl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GkeX6YJl.jpg

Initial impressions are EXTREMELY positive. We'll see how it does on the range...

texasmarine022003
02-23-15, 19:20
I love mine. I've had it for about two years now and thousands of rounds later (suppressed as well).
This is a pic post-barrel change. Changed the barrel to a Rainier Arms Mountain Series CHF barrel.
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q624/texasmarine022003/IMG_20140902_090818349_zpszlnb71mv.jpg (http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/texasmarine022003/media/IMG_20140902_090818349_zpszlnb71mv.jpg.html)

plouffedaddy
02-24-15, 23:19
http://i.imgur.com/iJvVkM7l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/R6x68U0l.jpg

Snowy day shots.....

DarkTemplars
02-25-15, 04:19
14.7" barrel??

Eurodriver
02-25-15, 06:28
$3000+ and they use a Rogers Stock?

DarkTemplars
02-25-15, 06:38
I like the Rogers stock. Although is I was to get the 308, I would prefer a fixed stock.

M&P15T
02-25-15, 10:37
I have a BCM, and highly recommend them.

But if you like the Wilson, buy it and enjoy it. There's basically very few "bad" ARs anymore. Even the cheap stuff like S&W & RRA run reliably and dependably, and are more accurate that their users can utilize.

Buy it, shoot it, and enjoy it.

ETA: FWIW, an enthusiast's site like this one is the last place to ask "what do you think about brand X?". Most enthusiasts are brand snobs, and think their AR must be able to HAHO into Syria and run 10,000,000 rounds without cleaning. But the reality is that an M&P Sport or RRA would suffice.

It's a hobby. Buy what you want, what you like, what you'll enjoy.

FBF
02-25-15, 11:47
I have a BCM, and highly recommend them.

But if you like the Wilson, buy it and enjoy it. There's basically very few "bad" ARs anymore. Even the cheap stuff like S&W & RRA run reliably and dependably, and are more accurate that their users can utilize.

Buy it, shoot it, and enjoy it.

ETA: FWIW, an enthusiast's site like this one is the last place to ask "what do you think about brand X?". Most enthusiasts are brand snobs, and think their AR must be able to HAHO into Syria and run 10,000,000 rounds without cleaning. But the reality is that an M&P Sport or RRA would suffice.

It's a hobby. Buy what you want, what you like, what you'll enjoy.

I was a bit concerned about this, but the replies have been very objective and informative.

FBF
02-25-15, 11:55
UPDATE:

I listed my Wilson EP on a FaceBook 1911 group page, mentioning my desire for an AR. Lo and behold, a young man from Ohio suggested an even trade--my EP for his Wilson Paul Howe, with scope package. I accepted. We both shipped our items yesterday morning, and will have them on Monday. Next on the list is to decide on a suppressor.

Nevermiss
02-25-15, 12:33
UPDATE:

I listed my Wilson EP on a FaceBook 1911 group page, mentioning my desire for an AR. Lo and behold, a young man from Ohio suggested an even trade--my EP for his Wilson Paul Howe, with scope package. I accepted. We both shipped our items yesterday morning, and will have them on Monday. Next on the list is to decide on a suppressor.

Congrats! Sounds like you both got what you wanted. Enjoy your suppressor search! I have a Surefire 762K and an AAC 762 SDN for my ARs and one thing I've learned early is that suppressor technology/models change frequently and by the time I purchased these, did the paperwork and waited for my stamps to come it, new models were already being announced! Be realistic about what which caliber, which rifles, what purpose, which muzzle device/attachment you want and if it will be adequate without the can, future caliber purchases, which cans may be your second and third purchases down the road and account for the wait time. Keep in mind that 5.56 is still going to be very loud and not safe to shoot without ear pro even with a can.

FBF
02-25-15, 13:32
Thanks Nevermiss. You have given me much to ponder. I will have to replace the flash suppressor no matter what. I have heard nothing but good about Surefire. I read it requires its own muzzle device. Are tools required to remove them?

It seems the Wilson can is pretty darn good as well. I need to decide to start the wait.

Nevermiss
02-25-15, 14:19
Thanks Nevermiss. You have given me much to ponder. I will have to replace the flash suppressor no matter what. I have heard nothing but good about Surefire. I read it requires its own muzzle device. Are tools required to remove them?

It seems the Wilson can is pretty darn good as well. I need to decide to start the wait.

I'm not sure which brake you have, but most can be removed/installed with a crescent wrench. Installation varies from manufacturer, but most recommend using a loctite type of compound to keep the brake from rotating and not the use of crush washers if you plan to use a can.

I prefer the surefire brake compared to various AAC models when not used with a can because it does a pretty decent job of preventing muzzle rise, but it is still not as effective and the many various 3 Gun design brakes which are specifically designed to reduce muzzle rise but cannot accommodate a can.

Suppressors are a lot like ARs. Most work very well and you probably won't be disappointed if you pick one from any quality manufacturer (SF, AAC, Wilson, Silencer Co, Gemtech, KAC, etc ). You can also look at and compare decibel data to help with your decision, but I doubt you would ever really notice a difference in the field.

I know that Surefire is known to have less change in the point of impact when shooting with a can and without a can compared to other brands but I have not confirmed this with my own cans. I can tell you that my 762K does have a difference POI of about 1.5" and 100 yards with my LaRue OBR and this is repeatable when removing and reinstalling the can. There is information here on M4C as well as other forums that can help you with your search.

I can tell you that my favorite pistol to shoot with a can is my HK USP Tactical with an AAC Tirant and my favorite AR is my Noveske 8" 300BLK Subsonic with the 762 SDN, but they are all fun! I am no expert is this field and I'm certain there are many more who can chime in with their experience and opinions too.

Enjoy your search and make sure to let all your friends shoot it too!

FBF
02-25-15, 15:39
Thanks again sir. The rifle is built with a flash suppressor "welded" to the barrel. From what I understand, this part may be removed and replaced with whatever brake I should choose based on the can. Now I need to save up some money. It stinks having to buy the thing and wait six months to get it. Oh well.