PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Suppliers?

RRMan03
07-05-08, 21:26
Is their a list of who supplies barrels to the AR makers? I know some make their own but not all. Does Sabre and LaRue make their own barrels?

trubilt1
07-05-08, 21:58
I can't speak for very many companies, but I do know that Charles Daly uses Shaw and Wilson barrels and SW uses Thompson Center. SW used to use Mossberg barrels at one time.

lalakai
07-06-08, 09:07
Noveske and Sabre make their own also. BCM doesn't but they usually special order their barrels and put them through some pretty stringent testing before selling (i think that's what the hold up is for BCM now; their last batch didn't meet their specs and they refused to take them.) Not sure about Rainier, but if they don't make them, then they follow the same pattern as BCM.

mpardun
07-06-08, 09:22
I had thought PacNor made Noveske's to John's spec (but could be wrong).

Lothar-Walther (Germany) makes some for Alexander Arms and I am sure others.

Drummer
07-06-08, 10:43
Depends on what you mean by "make."

Most AR manufacturers buy barrel blanks from people like Shaw, Wilson, Rock, etc. then contour, chamber, and drill the gas port.

I've heard that Sabre defense makes their own barrels, meaning they start with a bar of steel and make it into a barrel completely in house. Larue uses Lothar Walther barrels.

With the exception of Colt, FN, HK, and Sabre, I can't think of any AR builder who does every step of barrel making in house.

ADC
07-06-08, 10:53
I dont know about FN, HK, and Saber, but I know Colt dosent do there barrels 100% in house.

jh1
07-06-08, 11:05

Most AR manufacturers buy barrel blanks from people like Shaw, Wilson, Rock, etc. then contour, chamber, and drill the gas port.

I've heard that Sabre defense makes their own barrels, meaning they start with a bar of steel and make it into a barrel completely in house. Larue uses Lothar Walther barrels.

With the exception of Colt, FN, HK, and Sabre, I can't think of any AR builder who does every step of barrel making in house.

Do any make them scratch? Not buy blanks.

RRMan03
07-06-08, 15:02
Seems the question is open to debate.I will clarify and say make it from a blank.But who's blank. I know Shaw,Wilson.Kreiger make custom barrels.I have heard Sabre makes their own but not confirmed.

AMMOTECH
07-06-08, 18:58
FN has/does provide an AR barrel for at least one AR maker and FN does all their barrel work in house.

TurretGunner
07-06-08, 20:12

Im pretty sure colt doesn't make all theirs in house. I know they used Shaw at one time or another.

Tspeis
07-07-08, 03:20
I know for a fact HK gets a proprietary steel in the form of blanks from a company close to the German border. From there, they do all the rest and strictly oversee QC and testing. Their barrels are second to none in my opinion.

Tspeis

recon by fire
07-07-08, 13:54
What about LMT? Who makes LMT barrels?