PDA

View Full Version : More NJ Fun...not

WillBrink
02-19-15, 17:48
I'm in The People's Republic of MA, and MA (as bad as it is) looks like Alaska or VT compared to NJ in regards to gun laws and how people are treated:

Flintlock from 1700s could land elderly NJ man in prison

A retired teacher is facing 10 years in prison and the loss of his state pension for possessing a flintlock pistol that may not have been fired since George Washington was alive, his attorney told FoxNews.com on Wednesday.

In a case that underscores the Garden State's strict gun laws, Gordon Van Gilder, a retired English teacher and collector of historical items, has been charged with criminal possession of a handgun and faces up to 10 years in prison. If the 72-year-old is convicted, the charge carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 3.5 years and the pension Van Gilder earned as an educator could be revoked, penalties attorney Evan Nappen called "outrageous."

“It’s crazy," Nappen told FoxNews.com. "The gun was unloaded and strictly possessed as a historical relic. We’re hoping the prosecutor will exercise discretion and dismiss his case.”

Van Gilder readily acknowledged the unloaded gun was in his glove compartment and wrapped in cloth when he was pulled over for a traffic violation in Cumberland County in November 2014, according to Nappen. He had recently bought the gun and was planning to add it to his collection of antiques, which includes other old firearms, the lawyer said.

Cont:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/18/flintlock-from-1700s-could-land-elderly-nj-man-in-prison/

jpmuscle
02-19-15, 17:55
Kudos to the Sheriff on that one.... Asinine.

Mr blasty
02-19-15, 19:59
Aren't firearms over a certain age not legally firearms anymore?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Eurodriver
02-19-15, 21:18
Federally, state laws can be different.

What kind of a human being takes another persons freedom away for something like this? Talk about "just following orders"

Aren't firearms over a certain age not legally firearms anymore?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Ned Christiansen
02-19-15, 21:34
This one really got me. I sent a letter today to NJ's Governor and AG, and to the Sheriff and Prosecutor of Cumberland CO NJ. We just can't have this.

jpmuscle
02-19-15, 21:42

What kind of a human being takes another persons freedom away for something like this? Talk about "just following orders"
Stop that. Everyone said that wouldn't happen.

OH58D
02-19-15, 21:52

Evil People who comprise Evil Governments who enforce Evil Laws. The OP lives in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Another bastion of firearms freedom. A friend of mine in Springfield, MA knows a gentleman who was just sentenced to a 3 year stint in one of the minimum security prisons in that State for possessing a 30 round magazine, an unregistered AR and some black powder. This person just left classification at a Hell Hole called Walpole Prison and is heading to some fine lockup for the next 36 months. He committed no other crime but the possession of the above items.

jpmuscle
02-19-15, 21:56
I'm pretty sure that's the definition of tyranny.

fixit69
02-19-15, 22:02
Watch out. Your cutlass and halberd are next.

ABNAK
02-19-15, 22:52

Since you brought it up, have you ever seen the NJ State Police uniform? Rather eerie looking.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/02/robert-farago/quote-of-the-day-false-equivalency-edition/

OH58D
02-19-15, 23:06
Since you brought it up, have you ever seen the NJ State Police uniform? Rather eerie looking.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/02/robert-farago/quote-of-the-day-false-equivalency-edition/

Almost Goose Stepping.....but not quite. The main question should be, where is that Big Fat Rhino Chris Christie? That SOB never seems to do anything in that State regarding gun laws. If that tub gets the Republican nomination in 2016, or is on the ticket, I may have to consider holding my nose and voting for another party, or write in a dog's name.

Alex V
02-20-15, 06:28
The fat guy did veto a bill which would have limited magazines from 15rd down to 10, but that's about it. As Nj republicans go, he is okay. But I don't think I would want him in national office.

This is NJ and it sucks. According to the case law gun owners act at their own peril. Joy right?

Working on my exit strategy :-(

Eurodriver
02-20-15, 06:34

Wow...

Big A
02-20-15, 06:54

You got any suits at home or do you enjoy coming to work dressed like you're gonna invade Poland?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ4mVtNEBio

WillBrink
02-20-15, 07:00
This one really got me. I sent a letter today to NJ's Governor and AG, and to the Sheriff and Prosecutor of Cumberland CO NJ. We just can't have this.

Excellent!

WillBrink
02-20-15, 07:04
Evil People who comprise Evil Governments who enforce Evil Laws. The OP lives in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Another bastion of firearms freedom. A friend of mine in Springfield, MA knows a gentleman who was just sentenced to a 3 year stint in one of the minimum security prisons in that State for possessing a 30 round magazine, an unregistered AR and some black powder. This person just left classification at a Hell Hole called Walpole Prison and is heading to some fine lockup for the next 36 months. He committed no other crime but the possession of the above items.

That's a crappy story. MA, where Liberty started and ended. :sad:

BoringGuy45
02-20-15, 10:20

Those are MA State Troopers, not NJ. Jersey troopers, as you can see below, look similar though.

NJ is probably the most actively anti-gun. They're the state that will actively target otherwise law abiding citizens and try to make an example of them. It's their way of saying, "This is how harshly we treat good guys. Just imagine what we'll do to bad guys!"

Alex V
02-20-15, 10:26
Those are MA State Troopers, not NJ. Jersey looks similar though.

NJ is probably the most actively anti-gun. They're the state that will actively target otherwise law abiding citizens and try to make an example of them. It's their way of saying, "This is how harshly we treat good guys. Just imagine what we'll do to bad guys!"

NJ is one of those states where the ownership of firearms is illegal unless you have an exemption. So yes, as Anti-Gun as you can get.

Mauser KAR98K
02-20-15, 11:22
Almost Goose Stepping.....but not quite. The main question should be, where is that Big Fat Rhino Chris Christie? That SOB never seems to do anything in that State regarding gun laws. If that tub gets the Republican nomination in 2016, or is on the ticket, I may have to consider holding my nose and voting for another party, or write in a dog's name.

If he gets it, I'm going to my local GOP HQ and ripping up my voting card in front of them.

ralph
02-20-15, 13:25
Those are MA State Troopers, not NJ. Jersey troopers, as you can see below, look similar though.

Hmmm, change the color to black, with silver piping, some Germanic runes on the collars and yup, that'd be about right..

ralph
02-20-15, 13:46
If he gets it, I'm going to my local GOP HQ and ripping up my voting card in front of them.

I couldn't agree with you more.. Looking at the current lineup of GOP contenders for '16 I see two that I'm interested in, Scott Walker, and Rand Paul. Of those two, I'm leaning more towards Walker. If anyone else gets the nomination, then you may as well give Hillary the presidency, and get it over with. More and more, I see no real difference between the two parties anymore... The late Sen. George Wallace summed it up best, when asked what the difference was between a democrat and a republican (George was a former southern democrat, former Gov. of Alabama, that switched parties) He said "There ain't a dime's worth of difference between a republican and a democrat" That was true then, and it's more true now...

CRAMBONE
02-20-15, 13:58
So being from a state that was not one of the original 13, I find this ridiculously shocking. Is this not the colony that the revolution started in? Wasn't the capture of arms in this current state the reason we are our own country now? You **** sticks may have won the war of northern aggression, but right now I am so happy I live in Dixie and I bet your ancestors are wishing they had chosen different.

rocsteady
02-20-15, 14:14
Not to stray too far off topic but we're all in occupied territory here in the NorthEast. As a federal uniformed police officer, I can't even take someone to a pistol range in the five boroughs/NY City unless they are LE as well? Guy at the range almost had a heart attack when I had only asked about it, didn't even have the person with me.

Another classic; co-worker wanted to take his son out in Long Island to shoot a little bit at an outdoor range last summer. He shows up with this son and when signing in he shows his retired NYPD detective card and is told that's not good enough, can't let the boy shoot. So he pulls out his current FBI uniformed police officer credentials and is again told "Sorry, NY says you can't do it". Finally he shows that he had attended an 8 hour hunter training in the course of getting his previous year's hunting license and finds out that, lo and behold, that is proof that he's competent and can now take his son to the range.

So, to sum up, what does NY state think qualifies you to be safe with another shooter at a range: proof of 20 years patrolling and arresting criminals as part of a warrant squad in NY? :nono:NO! Being a federal police officer with a little place known to some as the FBI? :nono:No! How about an 8 hour hunting course that could very well have been given by someone who had never even touched a firearm? Bingo, that makes you an SME, enjoy the range!!??? :blink:

OH58D
02-20-15, 20:31
I couldn't live back there. Too confining in all aspects. That's why I live here in the middle of nowhere, 70 miles from town. I shoot when I want and where I want, just not pointing the muzzle towards anything of value. That's what 10,000 acres of deeded ranch land gives you, with another 7,000 acres of BLM lease land. Going to the "range"? Everything is range here.

rocsteady
02-20-15, 22:03
I couldn't live back there. Too confining in all aspects. That's why I live here in the middle of nowhere, 70 miles from town. I shoot when I want and where I want, just not pointing the muzzle towards anything of value. That's what 10,000 acres of deeded ranch land gives you, with another 7,000 acres of BLM lease land. Going to the "range"? Everything is range here.
Now that is living like you're supposed to live in the USA. Thank you for your service and for a way of life " to shoot for" (I know, I know, very punny).

WillBrink
02-21-15, 07:13

When I lived up in NH we had 75 acres, that backed into thousands of acres of forest. Could walk out in the morning with a coffee, and target shoot. That was one part of living in NH I really enjoyed. The cold and snow, not so much.

WillBrink
02-21-15, 07:13

When I lived up in NH we had 75 acres, that backed into thousands of acres of forest. Could walk out in the morning with a coffee, and target shoot. That was one part of living in NH I really enjoyed. The cold and snow, not so much.

Eurodriver
02-21-15, 07:58

I live on 7000 sq feet.

At least the ocean is nice...

OH58D
02-21-15, 09:40
Here's a picture of my wife taken last October during our Fall roundup. She carries two Birds Head Rugers in .45 for snakes and such. She's an excellent mounted shooter, even at a full gallop. She could ride like she is in any town here in New Mexico since it's open carry in this State:
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss126/BlackMesaRanch/mrs_oh58d_zpsjzxhx7hy.jpg

WillBrink
02-21-15, 10:57
I live on 7000 sq feet.

At least the ocean is nice...

Are there decent ranges within and hour drive?

Eurodriver
02-21-15, 12:02
Are there decent ranges within and hour drive?

Yeah. Goes out to 1000 yards and they're building a 1 mile range. Headed there on Sunday to re-test my POS Remington 700 and see if it will hold Grapefruit size groups at 100 yards.

jpmuscle
02-21-15, 18:49
Here's a picture of my wife taken last October during our Fall roundup. She carries two Birds Head Rugers in .45 for snakes and such. She's an excellent mounted shooter, even at a full gallop. She could ride like she is in any town here in New Mexico since it's open carry in this State:
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss126/BlackMesaRanch/mrs_oh58d_zpsjzxhx7hy.jpg
I grew up in the wrong half of the country for sure...

OH58D
02-21-15, 19:12
I grew up in the wrong half of the country for sure...

You have to realize that here in this part of rural New Mexico, everyone goes heeled. Protecting livestock against predators is the biggest reason. I was raised this way and I have done the same for my three children. I still have two at home. My eldest son was an Army kid so he traveled with the wife and I throughout part of my Army career. My next child is 15 and my youngest is a daughter age 11. Even our little girl can shoot while on horseback, but she only shoots a .22 revolver. This picture was taken of my youngest at out Fall 2014 roundup:
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss126/BlackMesaRanch/lil_oh58d_zpsc6qajzyo.jpg

Matthew
02-22-15, 18:37
I was beaten to it, but the picture is still valid.

Not to nitpick, but those are not NJ State Troopers. Here's a link to what their uniforms look like (yes, they resemble what I believe Massachusetts State Troopers).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/philly_police/3312757721/