PDA

View Full Version : Bipod Opinion

Dist. Expert 26
02-19-15, 20:08
Since tax return season is here, I figured I'd get a new bipod for my Rem 700. I've got the Hogue stock, so currently my only option is a sling stud mount, which pretty much limits me to Harris.

I want a swivel bipod with better feet than the Harris though, so I was considering getting a new chassis, maybe the magpul when it comes out.

Is it worth swapping out the chassis or is there another option I haven't found?

taliv
02-19-15, 22:39
not sure what you mean by swapping out the chassis, but...

the brm-s 6-9 is THE way to go. if you are very large in the gut area, consider the taller version.
nothing wrong with the feet on the harris. all the goofy upgraded claws and crap are a) a waste of money, and b) much worse when shooting off concrete or the hood of your car or something

Bimmer
02-19-15, 23:04
I have the 9-13" swiveling Harris, with the leg notches (key!). I think it's the "BLM-S." I like it so much that I'm thinking of buying another one, exactly the same...

Failure2Stop
02-20-15, 00:25
6-9 legs are good on flat ranges and benches, but if the legs get sand in them or bumped from their sprung position, they won't be very useful in most real world conditions. Lots of guys went to the longer legs for those reasons. The long legs do require a tall bag to stabilize from a bench or flat range. It's a balance of needs.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba
Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff

Dist. Expert 26
02-20-15, 10:18
I have the 9-13" swiveling Harris, with the leg notches (key!). I think it's the "BLM-S." I like it so much that I'm thinking of buying another one, exactly the same...

I think that might be part of the problem, mine doesn't have leg notches.

The height is perfect for me, my only real question was whether it would be worth it to upgrade my stock and go with a higher end bipod, but if the feet don't make much of a difference I'll stick with Harris.

deadeye99
02-20-15, 15:37
I have the same stock and wanted an Atlas bipod with quick disconnect. Blackhawk makes a stud mounted picatinney rail. I got it in this week and it works like a charm. Amazon for 25 bucks. The Atlas is very impressive. Hope this helps. Bob

taliv
02-20-15, 17:32
6-9 legs are good on flat ranges and benches, but if the legs get sand in them or bumped from their sprung position, they won't be very useful in most real world conditions. Lots of guys went to the longer legs for those reasons. The long legs do require a tall bag to stabilize from a bench or flat range. It's a balance of needs.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba
Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff

i havent' shot off a bench in years, but have been doing sniper/PRS matches for about 5 years now and in that time i've shot off about every crazy prop, and funky piece of earth between idaho and florida. I honestly don't know how you could get more variety of real world conditions. I think my bipod legs still have sand in them from texas and florida. when you need more than 9" of elevation, there are just better solutions than a taller bipod.
the bipod most people i shoot matches with are going to is the Atlas, which still tops out at 9" but goes down to 4" on the short side.

I'm genuinely curious who is moving to taller bipods and what conditions they've found that led them to that

skimbleshanks
02-21-15, 06:13
both seekins precision and badger ordnance make short rail sections with sling attachment points for mounting a bipod. if you can use a drill you are in business to use an atlas or LRA bipod. depends on your use i guess. heavy gun or heavy recoil the sling stud and harris may not be sturdy enough. However 1000's of hunters and shooters make the harris work just fine every shooting/hunting season.

Bimmer
02-21-15, 13:56
I'm genuinely curious who is moving to taller bipods and what conditions they've found that led them to that

My typical shooting position is probably flawed... I'm tall through the torso, and when I'm shooting off a bench using a bipod, I have the legs extended almost all the way. When I shoot prone, I like to be up a bit on my on my elbows (i.e., my chin's not on the ground). I've NEVER thought that the 9-13" legs were too long...

Remember, too, that if the legs are 9-13" inches, then the bottom of the forend is only 7-10" off the deck, because the legs extend out at an angle. That's not very high.

ubet
03-03-15, 17:21
Buy once cry once, the atlas is well worth the money in ny opinion. I used to have a Harris-s 6-9, after I got the atlas I will never go back to the Harris. You can pan and swivel with it, it's a very stable platform.

B Cart
03-03-15, 17:23
I had a couple Harris bipods before I got an Atlas. The Atlas is well worth the extra money IMO.

Pappabear
03-04-15, 08:47
Harris is good
Atlas is great
Tall bipods , I find to be very annoying in most situations and the lowest setting is to high for my general preference. But everybody is different.

RegisteredTM
04-04-15, 21:33
I prefer the Atlas to the Harris, but it is significantly more expensive. Personally, I'd probably update the stock before I worry about a new bipod, unless your current bipod is broken. I couldn't stand the Hogue stock that came on my SPS tactical, it seemed to me that Remington simply had to put something/anything on the barreled action in order to sell it as a rifle. I think a new stock would be a better use of funds at this juncture.

markm
04-05-15, 08:44
I prefer the Atlas to the Harris, but it is significantly more expensive.

And worth every penny. There may be a new bipod coming out pretty soon though. ;)

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-06-15, 00:19
And worth every penny. There may be a new bipod coming out pretty soon though. ;)

I think bipods need the kind of innovation that we have seen in the last few years in rails. Harris' are ok, but are literally just a bipod. Atlas' are nice, but I don't think they are fast enough deploying. I'd love to see Bipods get an evolutionary kick in legs.

Dist. Expert 26
04-06-15, 12:35
I wound up going with the Harris BRM-S. I've heard nothing but good things about the Atlas but I just couldn't justify the extra cost for my needs (I put the money into a stock instead as someone suggested).

I've heard about the KAC coming down the line. Anybody have more info on it?