PDA

View Full Version : 10-8 or Wilson Combat Vickers Sights for G19

acaixguard
02-19-15, 20:47
I am looking to replace the sights I have on my G19. I am now set on a U-notch rear with red fiber optic front, and decided this is the best setup for me. My G17 has the 10-8 setup of .140 rear with .115 red fiber front, which I absolutely love. The WC/LAV set intrigues me, but I do have a few questions for those who know...

1. How durable are the WC sights compared to the 10-8, which are melonited?

2. Does one offer a more crisp sight picture? In particular, I'm wondering how the recessed smooth around the U-notch of the WC's are.

3. The WC front sight has a .245 height, compared to the .215 of the 10-8. Will the RCS Phantom holster with a sight channel for standard height sights have enough clearance for taller front of the WC?

Thanks in advance!

KiloHotelWhiskey13
02-19-15, 21:06
I have no experience with the 10-8s but have the Wilson's on my LAV Glock 19 & like them so far. Sight picture is very crisp. When sighting the smooth area on the rear sight is not noticeable and they just funnel your eyes to the front sight. I carry a RCS Phantom as well and the Wilson's fit just fine.

kremtok
02-19-15, 23:30
In your original post, you state that you've found the optimal setup (I'm paraphrasing). Why change?

acaixguard
02-20-15, 15:07
The WC set is intriguing, in that I wonder if the design of the rear sight would allow for even faster focus to the front. Hopefully what the guy above said about it funneling the eyes to the front works for me as well. I also like the height of the overall set.

GUNSLINGER733
02-20-15, 19:19
10-8s work great for me. Never used WC sights. I'm not a fan of the extra deep u notch.

samuse
02-20-15, 23:08
I've used both on 1911s, they're pretty close.

10-8 is easier to use for racking on a holster or belt.

I like both, but prefer the 10-8 slightly.

Quick Stick
02-21-15, 06:17
I have both and both are great. I give an edge to the WC sights. The deep U notch rear is perfect for me. It tracks nicely. As far as durability, both are stout sights. I've been running the WC for about 8 months now with just normal wear. Good stuff.

sidewaysil80
02-21-15, 07:04
Just throwing a third contender into the ring, Dawson Precision. They are VASTLY popular within USPSA and IDPA and have a reputation for being incredibly durable and robust sights. I would at least look into them.

They are also the only manufacturer to offer free front sight replacement to help facilitate a perfect zero. This is monumental because its quite common for off the shelf sights to not zero the same on every gun. Dawson allows you to swap out your front sight as many times as necessary until you have reached your desired 25yd zero. Also, their rear sight is beveled and "open" to allow copious amounts of light in. Lastly, they place their fiber optic or trijicon insert at the very top of the front sight post which gives you a little leeway in terms of lining up the rear sight under duress or at speed.

acaixguard
02-21-15, 08:09
Regarding Dawsons, they only come with the square notch rears right? I hear good things, but at this point, I am only considering U notches going forth.

narcdog
02-21-15, 16:04
I use the WC rear sight with a Trijicon HD Orange front .... works great for my older eyes .... didn't like the tritium dots on the rear of the HD'S, so I replaced them with the WC.

Father of 3
02-21-15, 18:49
I too am looking for new sights for my G19. I have also been looking at the Warren Tactical sights in addition to what has been mentioned above. There are so many great options that I am having a hard time deciding as well.

Does anyone have any input on the Warren's as compared to the others?

acaixguard
02-21-15, 19:07
Another question...does anyone know the height of the rear sight? The 10-8's on my G19 have a .215" front height paired with the .250" rear height, and I get POA/POI. Hoping that the WC relative heights will offer the same POA/POI.

briguy64
02-21-15, 22:41
I'm going to throw a fourth consideration out there...only because I'm looking for a review :)

The Frank Proctor Sights have a "Y" rear sight, with the top being .140, and the bottom being .100.

acaixguard
02-23-15, 16:50
For current WC-Vickers sight users that have used either the 10-8 or Heinie sights with the .215" high front sight in the same 9mm Glock, do you get the same POA/POI with the WC sights (.245" front height)?

Thanks again!

SCSU74
02-26-15, 23:36
Fibers aren't durable at all. If you like the U notch check out trijicon Hd's

SCSU74
02-26-15, 23:37
I too am looking for new sights for my G19. I have also been looking at the Warren Tactical sights in addition to what has been mentioned above. There are so many great options that I am having a hard time deciding as well.

Warrens are ok.. Hd's are better

acaixguard
02-27-15, 06:34
The whole "fibers aren't durable" issue got put to rest a while ago. More and more people are using them today, including top trainers and competitors who put their guns through a lot of use. Much of the issue has to do with how the fiber is installed. If set in properly without wiggle room, it will be fine for the most part. Even if you somehow lose the fiber, you still have the rest of the sight to use, which would not be much worse than tritium that is washed out when you have light on what you are shooting at.

Regarding HD's, it's a preference thing. I do not like having any dots on my rear, and I especially despise 3 dot sights. So much so that on my Springfield 1911 which came with Novak 3 dots, I even took a sharpie to the rear dots. Also, I am not crazy about a wide front sight post. Therefore, the HD sights are a no go for me.

sasage
02-27-15, 07:06
Dawson has great video on installing fiber. And like some say, even if the fiber did fail, there is still a black post up front.

10-8 and Ameriglo both make great u notch rears, I run both on different pistols. The pro glo front with a u notch from either company will be about 2/3 cost of the HDs.

jbourneidentity
03-07-15, 21:17
Respectfully, I have experience with both types. I have WC/Vickers rear with a WC/ Vickers fiber optic front on a Gen 4 G21 and a good friend has 10-8s with fiber optic front on his G19. Both are excellent sights; however, the 10-8 fiber optic sight gathers much more light than does the WC/Vickers front and is far more visible when shooting. So much so that I've considered switching the WC fiber optic front on my home-defense G21 to a 10-8 fiber optic front.

The WC/Vickers rear sight is excellent and sturdy, but the U is very deep; much deeper than the 10-8 but it works fine for me. The WC/Vickers set seems a good sight system for fast combat shooting. I do like the smooth area around the "U" on the WC/Vickers rear, as it helps the eye focus on the front sight. I have many rounds through my G21 and the WC/Vickers sights seem every bit as durable as the 10-8s. The 10-8s seem more conducive to accurate shooting because of the more narrow sight-picture relationship. Both are winners, but I do slightly prefer the 10-8 sights.

Rattlehead
03-07-15, 22:37
Warrens are ok.. Hd's are better

How so?

SCSU74
03-08-15, 00:21
How so?

The larger front dot makes picking up the front sight a lot faster, wasn't a fan of the two dot style, I like the blacked out rear of the HD's.

acaixguard
03-08-15, 10:32
I like the blacked out rear of the HD's.

Maybe I wasn't aware, but I thought Trijicon HD sights only come with 2 dot rears?

Hot Sauce
03-08-15, 10:57
Maybe I wasn't aware, but I thought Trijicon HD sights only come with 2 dot rears?

I think what he means is the rears not having white outlines.

teksid
03-08-15, 21:01
I have Warren Tactical plain Black rear/FO front sights on several Glocks. I use the "carry" u-shape notched on my carry guns and have "competition" square rear notch on my 17. Have the same on my 34, but with the extra narrow notch option.

SCSU74
03-09-15, 17:30
I think what he means is the rears not having white outlines.

Yep, sorry meant it's blacked out during the daytime. The rear dots glow in the dark though.

acaixguard
03-09-15, 18:36
Gotcha. Still though, I find any form of 3 dots annoying, and for my money, I only want a dot on the front.

MadAngler1
03-09-15, 20:43
I am looking to replace the sights I have on my G19. I am now set on a U-notch rear with red fiber optic front, and decided this is the best setup for me. My G17 has the 10-8 setup of .140 rear with .115 red fiber front, which I absolutely love. The WC/LAV set intrigues me, but I do have a few questions for those who know...

1. How durable are the WC sights compared to the 10-8, which are melonited?

2. Does one offer a more crisp sight picture? In particular, I'm wondering how the recessed smooth around the U-notch of the WC's are.

3. The WC front sight has a .245 height, compared to the .215 of the 10-8. Will the RCS Phantom holster with a sight channel for standard height sights have enough clearance for taller front of the WC?

Thanks in advance!

I would encourage you to take a hard look at Trijicon HD night sights if you intend to use this pistol for IDPA, conceal carry or classes. I have Trijicon HDs on my G17 and G19s, complete with the LAV's own slide stop, mag release and a grip plug.

If you are bent on a fiber optic front for day time shooting (like steel matches, bullseye or even IDPA), you can't really go wrong with either 10-8 or Wilson Combat. I own sight sets from both companies (10-8 rear on my dad's Walther PPQ, and a Wilson X-tac) and they work great. Durability won't be an issue with either brand. Likewise, both the 10-8 and Wilson rear notches are wide enough for the front fiber optic you will be using. Sight picture shouldn't be an issue.

As far as height is concerned, it will only affect your point of impact. I'm not sure which front sight height would be the way to go on the G19, so I would call them up and ask.

Zonie
03-11-15, 11:53

Over the years I have tried standard Trij 3 dots, Meps, XS, Trij HD's, Ameriglo including the Hackathorns, and probably several others that I can't remember. I have Warrens on all of my Glocks now and I like them a lot.

ETA sights are kind of subjective but I've settled into pretty much the same setup on all of my handguns.