PDA

View Full Version : Which Rings/Base?

skywalkrNCSU
02-20-15, 11:42
I recently acquired a Remington 700 AAC-SD and a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 to go with it. My primary use for the gun is to learn precision shooting out to 1000 yards and also hunting and seeing as this is my first bolt gun I am clueless when it comes to what rings and base to get. I am not sure which brands are worth spending more money on for my intended use and then what height rings to get. I assume I want a 20 MOA base since I want to eventually reach out to 1000 yards but after that I need some advice.

Thanks in advance

HD1911
02-20-15, 18:17
What's your Budget?

Do you want top shelf stuff that won't let you down?

Have any preference on where you order from?

skywalkrNCSU
02-20-15, 18:40
What's your Budget?

Do you want top shelf stuff that won't let you down?

Have any preference on where you order from?

I don't really have a budget, I just want quality stuff but I would like to save money at the same time. I don't know the difference between $50 rings and $150 rings and I don't know if top shelf stuff is worth it for me or not. I am not taking this gun into combat or anything like that but at the same time I don't want junk. Vague I know, sorry just don't know how else to put it. No preference on where I get it from as long as it is a good price.

HD1911
02-20-15, 19:04
http://www.eurooptic.com/seekins-remington-700-sa-20-moa-picatinny-rail.aspx

http://www.eurooptic.com/seekins-30mm-tube-87-medium-4-cap-screw.aspx

Call and talk to AJ, or order those online.

Eurodriver
02-20-15, 20:27
Good luck. Look in the precision rifles forum about my 5"+ groups with my AAC SD and Vortex scope :(

Anyway, I went the "buy once cry once" route and got a Badger Ordnance 20 MOA base ($150) and Vortex Precision (actually made by seekins) 30mm low rings. As far as the rings and base go, I couldn't be happier. They are much higher quality than the EGW-type stuff I used to get. The BO base required no bedding whatsoever to get a consistent mating to the upper. I used to think "It's a picatinny rail, what are these guys smoking?" but trust me. Big difference.

...now if I could just get it to shoot well...

skywalkrNCSU
02-20-15, 21:10
Good luck. Look in the precision rifles forum about my 5"+ groups with my AAC SD and Vortex scope :(

Anyway, I went the "buy once cry once" route and got a Badger Ordnance 20 MOA base ($150) and Vortex Precision (actually made by seekins) 30mm low rings. As far as the rings and base go, I couldn't be happier. They are much higher quality than the EGW-type stuff I used to get. The BO base required no bedding whatsoever to get a consistent mating to the upper. I used to think "It's a picatinny rail, what are these guys smoking?" but trust me. Big difference.

Interesting, do you know what they do so it doesn't require bedding?

skywalkrNCSU
02-20-15, 21:11
http://www.eurooptic.com/seekins-remington-700-sa-20-moa-picatinny-rail.aspx

http://www.eurooptic.com/seekins-30mm-tube-87-medium-4-cap-screw.aspx

Call and talk to AJ, or order those online.

Good stuff, thanks!

GH41
02-21-15, 06:32

Link to thread please.

Eurodriver
02-21-15, 06:44
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?164921-Update-2-8-Help-Torque-Specs-for-Precision-bolt-gun-build-ammo-questions-etc

sidewaysil80
02-21-15, 07:25
While a quality manufacturers scope base is likely to not require bedding over say a walmart special, it can also come down to not requiring AS MUCH bedding as a cheaper base. The reason for this is not so much the base itself but the mass machining/production of receivers. Often they are not perfectly flat and can also be culprit for base bedding being necessary; but make no mistake a higher end base more than likely won't require it. Whatever you decide I would check and if ANY light is visible I would bed it.

Rings are another matter all together. If the base isn't even whether its due to lack of bedding or poor quality, the rings will be off center of one and other. This can also be due to shit production or manufacturers not matching their rings. You usually can't tell with the naked eye and have to use these pointed rods that you will install in the rings and see if their points touch. If not, and you have already bedded the base (to eliminate that as a cause) you will have to lap a ring to get it even.

Good news like I said is those are less likely to occur if using high end stuff. I brought it up merely because you inquired about it. My go to brand is Seekins Precision, they are substantially cheaper than badger which is the top of the food chain, but the same in terms of quality. Not too mention seekins make an awesome bottom metal that mimics the AR in terms of magazine release. Its very natural switching between both platforms as a result.

skywalkrNCSU
02-21-15, 09:19
While a quality manufacturers scope base is likely to not require bedding over say a walmart special, it can also come down to not requiring AS MUCH bedding as a cheaper base. The reason for this is not so much the base itself but the mass machining/production of receivers. Often they are not perfectly flat and can also be culprit for base bedding being necessary; but make no mistake a higher end base more than likely won't require it. Whatever you decide I would check and if ANY light is visible I would bed it.

Rings are another matter all together. If the base isn't even whether its due to lack of bedding or poor quality, the rings will be off center of one and other. This can also be due to shit production or manufacturers not matching their rings. You usually can't tell with the naked eye and have to use these pointed rods that you will install in the rings and see if their points touch. If not, and you have already bedded the base (to eliminate that as a cause) you will have to lap a ring to get it even.

Good news like I said is those are less likely to occur if using high end stuff. I brought it up merely because you inquired about it. My go to brand is Seekins Precision, they are substantially cheaper than badger which is the top of the food chain, but the same in terms of quality. Not too mention seekins make an awesome bottom metal that mimics the AR in terms of magazine release. Its very natural switching between both platforms as a result.

Thanks for the info, that makes a lot of sense. From a novice prospective it just looks like a base should be a base and a ring should be a ring but the way you described it really helps me understand otherwise. Thanks again.

HD1911
02-21-15, 10:42
my internet quit working last night, so Sidewaysil80 beat me to the explanation... he's spot on. You're far more likely to get an out of spec action than your are out of spec hardware from all the Top Guys: Seekins, Badger, NF, Near, Murphy Precision, Spuhr, etc.

Seekins is the best value in the rings & bases area, giving up nothing to the other guys. Hence why I didn't recommend Badger... even though I used to use Badger exclusively.

MrSunday
02-21-15, 12:30
Badger 20 moa base with Seekins rings have done me right as well

sidewaysil80
02-21-15, 16:07
my internet quit working last night, so Sidewaysil80 beat me to the explanation... he's spot on. You're far more likely to get an out of spec action than your are out of spec hardware from all the Top Guys: Seekins, Badger, NF, Near, Murphy Precision, Spuhr, etc.

Seekins is the best value in the rings & bases area, giving up nothing to the other guys. Hence why I didn't recommend Badger... even though I used to use Badger exclusively.

Believe me, if I could afford Badger I would use ONLY Badger lol. But like you said, Seekins gives up nothing but comes in at a far more affordable price. But what I wouldn't do for a McMillan and all the Badger trimmings :D.

For what its worth DSG Arms seems to have the absolute best pricing I've seen on Seekins products.