PDA

View Full Version : Glock 40 / 10mm

Devildawg2531
02-21-15, 09:14
I like the G40 10mm with the reflex site. I'm trying to determine if this is want or a need ;)

I currently own 17, 26, 34 and 22 and use them for CCW, HD and gun games. The long slide 10 mm has impressive ballistics. Does the 10 mm offer anything in real world performance over 9 and 40 ballistics (I get that its still a pistol). I live in North GA so no large predators around (occasional black bear and coyote). Anyone spent anytime or have feedback with G40 or 10 in general?

Thanks

El Cid
02-21-15, 09:49
As I understand it, most 10mm carry loads are similar to 40S&W. Using full power 10mm is going to be tougher for follow up shots, but people do hunt with 10mm handguns. I have long wanted a G20 (now I'd prefer the G40) as a woods gun. I have no illusions about it being on par with a 44mag when used against 4 legged predators. For me though it's the same size as my G21 I carry daily in terms of grip, controls, etc. All my muscle memory will work with a 10mm Glock. If I getvghe G20 all my G21 holsters will work. May pouches work. If I'm going to invest in a different caliber for a woods gun, the idea of one that is nearly identical to my work/competition guns is a big plus for me.

Devildawg2531
02-21-15, 10:02
As I understand it, most 10mm carry loads are similar to 40S&W. Using full power 10mm is going to be tougher for follow up shots, but people do hunt with 10mm handguns. I have long wanted a G20 (now I'd prefer the G40) as a woods gun. I have no illusions about it being on par with a 44mag when used against 4 legged predators. For me though it's the same size as my G21 I carry daily in terms of grip, controls, etc. All my muscle memory will work with a 10mm Glock. If I getvghe G20 all my G21 holsters will work. May pouches work. If I'm going to invest in a different caliber for a woods gun, the idea of one that is nearly identical to my work/competition guns is a big plus for me.

Agreed El Cid. That's part of the draw to 10 for me as well. The compatibility with holsters and mag pouches is a big plus. Just don't know if it actually gains anything over the G22 in real use. I have a 629 44mag that in theory is my woods gun but in reality sits in my safe unless I'm playing with it. The last real purpose for my 44 mag was a couple of years ago using it to shoot down a dead pine tree on my property (for the record about 80 rounds of full bore 300 grain 44 mag will cut an 8'' pine down).

It does lok like a lot of the factory 10mm loads are loaded light except Buffalo Bore which isn't good with the Glock barrel.

El Cid
02-21-15, 10:07
Agreed El Cid. That's part of the draw to 10 for me as well. The compatibility with holsters and mag pouches is a big plus. Just don't know if it actually gains anything over the G22 in real use. I have a 629 44mag that in theory is my woods gun but in reality sits in my safe unless I'm playing with it. The last real purpose for my 44 mag was a couple of years ago using it to shoot down a dead pine tree on my property (for the record about 80 rounds of full bore 300 grain 44 mag will cut an 8'' pine down).

It does lok like a lot of the factory 10mm loads are loaded light except Buffalo Bore which isn't good with the Glock barrel.
I've been eyeing the Corbon hunting loads and the Lehigh Defense extreme penetrator (all copper FMJ).

https://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/ammo/products/10mm-auto-140gr-xtreme-penetrator-ammunition

http://www.corbon.com/corboncart/catalogsearch/result/?q=10mm

Ryno12
02-21-15, 10:27
I have a Gen 3 G20 with a 6" Storm Lake barrel and slide mounted micro RDS. The 10mm loads I generally use are about twice the energy of an average .40 load or around 700-800+ lbs. It's basically a fun gun that got me into reloading but I do also carry it when I go deer hunting. It's very reliable & I would trust it in a SD situation. The 10mm is a blast to reload, IMO. There's so much flexibility to the caliber.

Turnkey11
02-21-15, 11:42
Check out doubletap ammo.

Ryno12
02-21-15, 12:26
Check out doubletap ammo.

...if you're looking for a 10mm equivalent to a .40 load.
10mm enthusiasts have been on to McNett's shenanigans for years. His original stuff was good but he's since been exaggerating his 10mm velocities. I wrote him off years ago.
Underwood is probably the best "factory" loads right now. Buffalo Bore isn't bad but I've had cycling issues with them & they're overpriced.

glocktogo
02-21-15, 13:28

Unless you're going to handloads or use really hot factory ammo like Underwood, Buffalo Bore, etc., going with the 10mm over a .40S&W is not productive. Where the G40 will excel is long range shooting and/or as a woods gun. The light weight and high capacity will benefit the woods user. The long barrel and sight radius will benefit the long range shooter. When mine arrives, I plan to fit it with tall sights from Dawson Precision, with the front being a relatively narrow .100" wide for precision at longer ranges. When I get the RMR, I'll go with the small dot for the same reason. My intended use is 25-100 yards on the range, so I want the flattest shooting loads I can get. I don't walk the deep woods as much as I used to, but it will be an excellent companion when I do. I already have 500 pieces of new Starline 10mm brass on hand for mine when it arrives. I can't wait! :)

teutonicpolymer
02-22-15, 08:18
10mm is a great round and although I cannot speak from experience on the G40 I have had trigger time with the G20. It is an awesome gun. Follow up shots are not that hard (I am talking with hot Underwood loads here) if you know what you are doing. I could see the optic getting destroyed pretty rapidly though because the slide moves pretty fast on the G20 and the G40 slide might even be lighter.

The 10mm can do stuff like 220 gr hardcast, .40 s&w might be able to as well but I doubt it will be optimal. There are a lot of ballistics gel vids on Underwood 10mm on the net that might be worth a watch by the way.

ritepath
02-22-15, 09:41
You want a g40....almost as bad as I do. Ever since I sold my 20 about 4 years back I've missed it. Problem being back then I didn't reload and the 10 didn't make financial sense. Now reloading has made the 10 feasible and I've been wanting a 20 since I started in July, and with the long slide 40 my prayers have been answered.

The perfect woods gun for Hunting season carry, or even hunting with the right bullet and a optic. A great range gun for beating down the plates with a 40 barrel installed. (10 brass is expensive) And for the triple threat a great Home defense firearm. What's not to love about the G40 (or 20) I plan on picking up a 40 before next hunting season rolls around. I already have the dies and several hundred brass.

El Cid
02-22-15, 10:32
On a related note... Have these hit shelves yet? Anyone have one to give us some feedback?

glocktogo
02-22-15, 12:11
On a related note... Have these hit shelves yet? Anyone have one to give us some feedback?

I placed my order with GT Distributors on the day they began accepting pre-orders. My rep said they expected a March/April drop. I don't have mine yet.

gumbo
02-23-15, 10:19
I too find myself badly wanting one of these, but I'm not sure I can justify it in my collection. I consolidated years ago to 9mm and I have been very happy about that decision. However, I have been interested in the 10mm for a while and often feel a little under-gunned while walking through the south Louisiana woods, even though those feelings are probably unjustified considering hogs are the only thing likely to give me trouble on four legs.
I don't reload at the moment and probably won't anytime in the near future, so feeding that thing would get pricey quick. I'm going to try and wait until a few people get their hands on one and report back to decide if I'm getting the G40 or adding another 9mm to the heard this year.

Slvr Surfr
02-23-15, 14:38
10mm is very flexible. You can buy/load rounds from 125gr to 230 gr. Self defense to woods defense, I don't think there is a more flexible caliber. I love my G20 and it is the softest shooting 10mm around. I can only imagine the G40 being better.

soulezoo
02-23-15, 15:34
I also have a gen 3 G20. (And a Bren Ten and Delta Elite) IMO, without going to behemoths like Desert Eagle, it provides the most punch in a duty sized pistol. Upwards of 800 ftlbs. When using these heavy loads, a good wolff spring in the 22-24 lb range is advisable and cuts down the battering one would otherwise be subjected to.
I have taken. One deer with my Delta Elite and 200 grain Norma load some years ago. A 20 yard broadside, clean kill.

teutonicpolymer
02-23-15, 20:41
I would give the gen 4 dual recoil spring system a try before buying a new guide rod and spring setup. It seemed to work pretty well going from wimp loads to the hot Underwood stuff.

kihnspiracy
02-23-15, 23:49
Try Underwood ammo. Many different 10mm bullet grains and velocities to choose from. Underwood 10mm has been very accurate in my Glock 20SF.