PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Combat Magazines

Gutshot John
07-06-08, 09:32
Who has the best deal on Wilson 47Ds or comparable combat magazines? I'd be interested in buying in batches if that yields a decent discount.

I'd also be curious if there are quality 10 rounders available that anyone recommends.

STS
07-06-08, 10:46
Get ready for a ton of different answers.

First, right now Midway has McCormick Power mags on sale for $18 - both 8 and 10 rd mags. IMO that is the best deal going. You will be paying closer to $30 for the Wilson's.

While both the Wilson and McCormicks are great mags, in my personal experience the McCormicks last much, much longer. For $18 there is no mag out there than can touch them in terms of performance and long term durability.

I've always liked Wilsons and they have run well in my guns. They just don't hold up well over the long term. Mine seem to give me 6 months of good use. Now someone will pipe up about how thier Wilsons have lasted 15 years and that is great. Mine stay loaded, go to the range at least twice a week, and average 500 rounds a week. Plus they get dropped on the ground and basically used hard. In that context there is no comparison for me. the Powermags hold up much longer.

Wilson has a great return policy. I recently send 6 47d's in for replacement and asked if I could get their new ETM mag instead. They said no problem and sent them right out no questions asked. Unfortunately after just 3 months, I am experiencing feed lip spread in excess of .400" with my new Wilson, which is simply unacceptable. Once you hit about .395" + - you are looking for functioning problems.

Tripp makes just about the best mag out there. It perfoms great and is damn near bulletproof. It is also the most expensive at aroud $33 a piece. I have several and really like them, but at least for me, they have not been much better than the Powermags I can get for $18.

Erick Gelhaus
07-06-08, 13:31
I just bought another set of McCormick 8rd magazines from Midway. Pretty sure price was a mentioned above.

RD62
07-06-08, 13:46
I second the McCormick's. They have always performed well for me and their price can't be beat. This goes for both the 8 and 10rnd mags in my personal experience. And at $18 apiece I can buy almost 2 to 1.

-RD62

Gutshot John
07-06-08, 15:57
Just ordered 5 ten rounders and 5 8 rounders from Midway.

Thanks for the advice.

Dave L.
07-06-08, 17:58
Yup- as soon as I saw this thread I ordered 2 power 8's and 2 power 10's.
My Girlfriend bought me 3 WC Elite Tacitcal Mags- I haven't been able to play with them yet due to my current location.
...but soon

That is a great deal for 1911 mags- more people should be taking advantage of this.

BigSam
07-06-08, 21:11
Chip McCormick 10 rounders all the way. Part of the EDC.
Good Luck.

Sam.

Dave L.
07-06-08, 21:23
Who has the best deal on Wilson 47Ds or comparable combat magazines? I'd be interested in buying in batches if that yields a decent discount.

I'd also be curious if there are quality 10 rounders available that anyone recommends.

Back to your original question:
I believe if you call Grant (G&R Tactical) he has good deals on 47Ds (or did). They are not on his website, you have to call.
By deal, I mean, I wouldn't expect more than $2 off the average prices.

Gutshot John
07-09-08, 18:38
By the time I had seen your reply on the 47s I had already bought the McCormick's.

I just got them today and I must say I'm heartily impressed.

Midway shipped real fast.