PDA

View Full Version : AR optics advice needed

I'dtouchthatoff
02-22-15, 02:22
I'm lookin for recommendations on good optics to grace the rail of my SR 556. I've chewed up six different hunting scopes in the life of this rifle, and now i'm lookin for the fabled Trijicon toughness without the Trijicon price. My target ranges are from 100 yds to 500 yds, I'd like to keep it under $300, and my biggest expectation is that it needs to hold a zero through some rough treatment. Any advice is welcome

Leaveammoforme
02-22-15, 03:50
Delete

MBtech
02-22-15, 04:12
As mentioned above, you are asking a lot for that budget, but in that price range I would recommend these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BAHMHQW/ref=mp_s_a_1_4/192-5363799-1856527?qid=1424599719&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=nikon+p223+3-9x40&dpPl=1&dpID=41WDDy2HJ8L&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008KUMSX4/ref=mp_s_a_1_5/192-5363799-1856527?qid=1424599719&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=nikon+p223+3-9x40&dpPl=1&dpID=41C0ltfCSNL&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006Z07JTE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1424600996&sr=8-2&keywords=nikon+p+223&dpPl=1&dpID=31j7XwOAMEL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

I've used Nikon scopes for years for a hunting optic, no complaints I have not had one fail me yet, I currently have a P223 fixed 3x32 on an AR with BDC reticle and a Slughunter 3-9x40 on a rifled barrel shotgun. Both have served me well getting drug around through the woods.

mack7.62
02-22-15, 05:31
What was the combined total cost of the six hunting scopes? Buy once cry once.

Hmac
02-22-15, 06:52
Yeh, by limiting your price range that much, you're setting yourself up for having a 7th trashed scope in the drawer.

b2dap1
02-22-15, 07:09
Just had this conversation yesterday with a buddy. What you pay for in high end optics is the toughness factor and top of the line glass as well. Other thing with optics is getting a good mount. Check out Larue and all of their optic combos. Larue does not mess around and all of their products will hold zero!

henschman
02-22-15, 09:21
The only thing that could match ACOG toughness in that price range is an older used Aimpoint. There is no $300 magnified optic that would come close. That said, do you really need an optic that you can pitch like a baseball against a wall, throw on a concrete floor as hard as you can, or survive an explosion that destroys the rifle it's mounted on? If you just want something you can beat around in the woods, drop the rifle its mounted on, get wet, stand up to op-rod recoil impulse, and not break, you might look into a Burris TAC30. I've used one in a bunch of cross country run 'n guns in all kinds of conditions, and subjected it to that sort of treatment and it held up well. It is the best sub-$300 scope I know of.

Hochsitz
02-22-15, 09:32
I'm lookin for recommendations on good optics to grace the rail of my SR 556. I've chewed up six different hunting scopes in the life of this rifle, and now i'm lookin for the fabled Trijicon toughness without the Trijicon price. My target ranges are from 100 yds to 500 yds, I'd like to keep it under $300, and my biggest expectation is that it needs to hold a zero through some rough treatment. Any advice is welcome

Do you mind sharing which hunting scopes you chewed up so the rest of us don't make the same mistake?

Kain
02-22-15, 09:48
What has caused the other optics to fail, or how have they failed?

To echo what has already been said, buy once cry once. If you are wanting a Trijicon optic then save up for a Trijicon optic. If you shop around you may be able to find an ACOG on the used market for under the $800 range, hell I bought mine for around $600. I have seen Accupoints pop up for the $500 range from time to time as well. So you can sometimes find deals, that said, if you are wanting to get into a top end optic you are going to end up spending more than $300 dollars. On the flip side, I can personally tell you that if you want an ACOG or something like that then save up for it. You have to have goals after all.

MBtech
02-22-15, 10:44
What has caused the other optics to fail, or how have they failed?

To echo what has already been said, buy once cry once. If you are wanting a Trijicon optic then save up for a Trijicon optic. If you shop around you may be able to find an ACOG on the used market for under the $800 range, hell I bought mine for around $600. I have seen Accupoints pop up for the $500 range from time to time as well. So you can sometimes find deals, that said, if you are wanting to get into a top end optic you are going to end up spending more than $300 dollars. On the flip side, I can personally tell you that if you want an ACOG or something like that then save up for it. You have to have goals after all.

Yes this ^^^ also watch the EE forum, a lot of good Trijicon deals pop up there.

tmanker
02-22-15, 15:36
So you bought a $1000 rifle and want to put a $300 optic on it after 6 other trash optics shat the bed? In sales, I tell the customer what they need to hear, not what they want to hear. I don't think you want to hear what you need to hear, nor do I think you will listen. I know this post offers nothing, but it's the same song and dance all the time. Good luck.

HKGuns
02-22-15, 16:00
There are reasons Trijicon optics are expensive, you obviously haven't learned a lot after going through 6 scopes.

Given 556 rifles aren't notorious for destroying even the cheapest hunting optics, I have to assume you're physically abusing them, which is even more reason to get the Trijicon optic.

sevenhelmet
02-22-15, 17:54
Doing the same thing (buying a budget scope) and expecting a different result won't make you happy.

Saving for a quality scope will.

LDB
02-22-15, 20:04
What is the consensus on quality, toughness and durability of EOTech?

VIP3R 237
02-22-15, 20:09
OP if you are looking at $300-ish and want a durable optic I would look at the Primary Arms 4X prism optic.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4X_Prism_Scope_p/pac4x.htm

I recently logged 9500 rounds through one with the only issue is the mount coming loose around 1000 rounds but Loctite fixed that. The glass is clear and the reticle give you a decent BDC out to 800, I've only reached out to 600 with mine though. I know 4x isn't preferable when shooting 500 yards but for your limited price point a Prism and or fixed magnification optic will be more durable than an adjustable one.

What is the consensus on quality, toughness and durability of EOTech?

Some guys like them, however it seems that most prefer Aimpoint. If you decide to go with an Eotech make sure it's the (E)XPS series as they have been much more problem free than the 5XX series.

OIPactual
02-22-15, 21:01
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/22/08bfb66865d61a62f7b3984facf288cc.jpg

Buy once cry once.

MrSunday
02-23-15, 19:15
What was the combined total cost of the six hunting scopes? Buy once cry once.

This....

RIDE
02-23-15, 19:40
... i'm lookin for the fabled Trijicon toughness without the Trijicon price. keep it under $300, ...needs to hold a zero through some rough treatment.

It doesn't exist.... period. Close thread.

You'll have better luck finding bigfoot, or maybe a unicorn!

scooter22
02-23-15, 19:50
If you want a red dot, check out the Aimpoint ACO:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Aimpoint-ACO-Aimpoint-Carbine-Optic-p/aimpoint-aco.htm

sevenhelmet
02-23-15, 20:12
OP hasn't been back. Maybe he realized that starting the same thread twice with his first two posts was a bad way to kick off an M4C membership.

Krampus
02-24-15, 11:04
OP if you are looking at $300-ish and want a durable optic I would look at the Primary Arms 4X prism optic.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4X_Prism_Scope_p/pac4x.htm

I recently logged 9500 rounds through one with the only issue is the mount coming loose around 1000 rounds but Loctite fixed that. The glass is clear and the reticle give you a decent BDC out to 800, I've only reached out to 600 with mine though. I know 4x isn't preferable when shooting 500 yards but for your limited price point a Prism and or fixed magnification optic will be more durable than an adjustable one.

Some guys like them, however it seems that most prefer Aimpoint. If you decide to go with an Eotech make sure it's the (E)XPS series as they have been much more problem free than the 5XX series.

If you have imaginary needs then you also need fabled toughness but for $300...... the above was the best answer. Air gun, 22LR and chicom mail order will not survive.

Might also consider the Vortex 3x Spitfire for the better warranty, I have no experience with this optic.

Krampus

hr00544
02-24-15, 19:17
Save up for a quality optic. Shoot irons for now.

I'dtouchthatoff
02-24-15, 22:57
Sorry for the double post I'm new to this forum business ... not sure how to delete the other post ... I don't expect miracles just askin if anyone may have stumbled upon something that fits what i'm lookin for ... The first scope I used was a tasco and I already new it wasn't what I was needing but I used it anyway ... the second was a bushnell knockoff of an acog and it lasted two weeks ... after that I was given an older luepold that had the rectical locking screw and it was the best of them all but still failed to meet my standards ... they all failed to retain zero and sighting adjustment develops excessive slop (It takes 3 to 7 clicks at 100 yards before the point of impact moves) I am currently saving money for an acog but I have a wife and two kids so having money to save is a challenge in it's self. As for the iron sights I am well capable of putting rounds on target at 600m ... but when I hunt I prefer head shot to avoid meat damage. Anyway as I said no miracles asked for just a heads up if anyone found something that fits the bill

whiskycut
02-25-15, 01:43
Vortex strike eagle,nuff said

b2dap1
02-25-15, 05:11
Headshot? What animal is that? Im no expert in AR's or war fighting but I am when it comes to hunting and Ive never seen anyone shot a game animal in the head on purpose.

hr00544
02-25-15, 07:02
A lot of guys shoot doe in the head in the effort to save meat. I personally don't do that, but it is common.

b2dap1
02-25-15, 07:23
A lot of guys shoot doe in the head in the effort to save meat. I personally don't do that, but it is common.

Yea i would never. Take off the nose and ears and your left with a 3" circle. If you miss even by a half inch its gonna blow the nose off and not kill. Shoot for the lungs!!

hr00544
02-25-15, 07:27
Yea i would never. Take off the nose and ears and your left with a 3" circle. If you miss even by a half inch its gonna blow the nose off and not kill. Shoot for the lungs!!
Yeah I don't get with the whole saving the meat thing. If I was struggling to make ends meet and I solely hunted for my food then yeah, but my current situation does not yield for head shots to save meat.

MBtech
02-25-15, 18:20
Sorry for the double post I'm new to this forum business ... not sure how to delete the other post ... I don't expect miracles just askin if anyone may have stumbled upon something that fits what i'm lookin for ... The first scope I used was a tasco and I already new it wasn't what I was needing but I used it anyway ... the second was a bushnell knockoff of an acog and it lasted two weeks ... after that I was given an older luepold that had the rectical locking screw and it was the best of them all but still failed to meet my standards ... they all failed to retain zero and sighting adjustment develops excessive slop (It takes 3 to 7 clicks at 100 yards before the point of impact moves) I am currently saving money for an acog but I have a wife and two kids so having money to save is a challenge in it's self. As for the iron sights I am well capable of putting rounds on target at 600m ... but when I hunt I prefer head shot to avoid meat damage. Anyway as I said no miracles asked for just a heads up if anyone found something that fits the bill

OP, I've been in a similar boat for a while now. I hear you on raising a family and trying to save money, it can be tough for many. You will hear the "buy once cry once" phrase over and over. Simple fact is buy once cry once is different for everyone. To some it might mean $1k, to others it is $2-$4k yada yada. For example: "I want" a USO 1-8 or a S&B. Going to be a LONG time before I have that kind of dough to throw at a scope, just a fact of life for me, so I have no problem using a $300-$400 optic so I can shoot my rifle the way I want to "now" not a year or two from now. (but I'm talking a $2k difference not a couple hundred) That being said if you are truely set on an Acog, you are not far away from having one if you search around especially for a used one adding to the $300 budget. Seriously, watch the EE optics section and shop around. It was mentioned earlier being found for $600-$800, you're halfway there.

I would also recommend a lung/heart shot placement for hunting.

hr00544
02-25-15, 20:45
You can always buy a scope shoot it for a while and save up. Sell that scope buy a nicer one...and keep going till you get something real nice.

I'dtouchthatoff
02-25-15, 22:47
I'm liking the vortex strike eagle optics ... I must research that line of optics, not far off budget. U.S optics are nice but damn the price tag, same with S&B. I don't have to hunt to survive but it dose help a lot in today's economy and I prefer the taste of wild game over just about anything from the store. As far as what b2dap1 said, the day I can't hit a 3inch target at 300m it's time to quit ... I hate to see an animal suffer and I like tracking a wounded animal even less. Thanks for the advice Whiskycut and MBtech

MBtech
02-25-15, 23:03
I'll add another to the mix, little less magnification than the 1-6 strike eagle but I've had good luck with my Leatherwood CMR

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l27uTiDjre0

http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-1-4x24-CMR-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P45852.aspx

A lot of guys seem to have good luck with the Primary Arms 1-6 also and is under $300

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?139281-Primary-Arms-1-6-scope&highlight=primary+arms+1-6

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_1_6X_Scope_with_Patented_ACSS_Reticle_p/paps1-6x.htm

Livefreeordie92
03-02-15, 13:25
Yeh, by limiting your price range that much, you're setting yourself up for having a 7th trashed scope in the drawer.

This exactly. You get what you pay for. Why put a $300 scope on a rifle that costs over five times that?