PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon HD front sight brightness

Razorhunter
02-22-15, 12:01
First off, are the painted HD front sights any brighter, or should I say, more noticeable at night than a regular tritium FS?

Secondly, does anyone here feel that one color is at all brighter than the other at night? I'm thinking the fluorescent yellow would likely be a little brighter in low light, vs the orange, but that's just based on my experiences bowhunting in low light. The green pin on my bow was by far always the brightest, with yellow being a close 2nd in low light. Granted, this was fiber optics, not photo luminous paint like the HD sights use.

bltzkrg
02-22-15, 13:07
First off, are the painted HD front sights any brighter, or should I say, more noticeable at night than a regular tritium FS?

Secondly, does anyone here feel that one color is at all brighter than the other at night? I'm thinking the fluorescent yellow would likely be a little brighter in low light, vs the orange, but that's just based on my experiences bowhunting in low light. The green pin on my bow was by far always the brightest, with yellow being a close 2nd in low light. Granted, this was fiber optics, not photo luminous paint like the HD sights use.

The luminous paint needs to be charged with a flashlight before its of any use, and the charge dissipates quickly. If you are operating under circumstances that require light discipline for any stretch of time you're going to be stuck depending on the tritium for front sight visibility.

During the day you're probably going to find the yellow appears brighter than the orange. Don't assume that's all there is to know though. I find the yellow gets lost if I'm standing in shadow but the target is in bright sunlight. It's not true of the orange. That's probably why orange out sells the yellow by a factor of 3 to 1 (according to my ffl guy's Trijicon rep).

I don't think you can get any color other than green tritium in the HD line. Be aware that the non HD line where colors are available is a mixed bag because the sights dim much more quickly and at different rates. The green is like 12 years, where orange is like 5.

Azraeyl
02-22-15, 13:33
During the day you're probably going to find the yellow appears brighter than the orange. Don't assume that's all there is to know though. I find the yellow gets lost if I'm standing in shadow but the target is in bright sunlight. It's not true of the orange. That's probably why orange out sells the yellow by a factor of 3 to 1 (according to my ffl guy's Trijicon rep).

This was my experience with the yellow when I tried my friend's HDs at my outdoor range, as well. When I decided to replace the night sights on my Glock 19 last month, I went with the orange instead and so far I prefer it over the yellow.

Of course, everyone's eyes are different, so take a look at both if you have the opportunity.

Razorhunter
02-22-15, 13:50
Excellent post blitzkrieg. I appreciate it, and you have confirmed exactly what I assumed was the case.
Hell, maybe I'll give the TruGlo TFO's some more consideration, provided the TFO front sight will work in conjunction with my LAV G19 rear (which I want to keep on the gun)
Is TruGlo the only manufacturer currently offering sights with tritium and fiber optics combined?

ggammell
02-22-15, 19:35
Excellent post blitzkrieg. I appreciate it, and you have confirmed exactly what I assumed was the case.
Hell, maybe I'll give the TruGlo TFO's some more consideration, provided the TFO front sight will work in conjunction with my LAV G19 rear (which I want to keep on the gun)
Is TruGlo the only manufacturer currently offering sights with tritium and fiber optics combined?

http://www.vikingtactics.com/category-s/1840.htm

ggammell
02-22-15, 19:35

http://www.vikingtactics.com/category-s/1840.htm

Firefly
02-22-15, 19:48
FWIW I have Orange HD on my Glock 21. The yellow seemed to "pop" more at first when I was trying to decide but kind of got irritating. The Orange seemed better all around for me and reminds me of the front sight on the blue steel smith revolvers.
Weird, I guess but it works for me.

MadAngler1
02-22-15, 20:05

The HD sights do two things:

1. The orange front dot and plain black rear draws your eyes to the front sight and the target during daylight shooting. Kind of like having a fiber optic front sight.

2. The presence of a three dot tritium set up allows for excellent night shooting alignment, unlike a single tritium dot and plain black rear (IMHO, as that's what I've discovered in classes shooting at night with my 1911, XDM and Glocks with both set ups).

For me at night, I really don't think the tritium lamp or the luminescent orange front sight of the Trijicon HD shows up any better at night on my Glocks and HK P30 than do a regular pair of Meprolights or Trijicon 3 dot tritium sights. They're roughly the same, and I've owned and shot both types at night at classes. I know the painted orange or yellow is supposed to be brighter, but my eye is on the tritium lamp. The painted orange or yellow circle is by no means an Aimpoint.

To address your second question, I have not compared a yellow vs orange Trijicon HD front sight at night. I doubt there is much of a difference. The key lies with the tritium lamps.