PDA

View Full Version : 25 yard group with Suppressed G19

Eurodriver
02-22-15, 12:09
Shot this group today, and I don't know how I should feel.

FDE Gen4 G19
Trijicon Suppressor Height Night Sights
Storm Lake Threaded Barrel
SilencerCo Octane9 HD2
Remington 115gr FMJ range ammo

I know I've harped on folks for asking this sort of question before on this forum, so forgiveness is asked in advance, but is this an acceptable 15 round group given the equipment? (ignore the shots fired in the corners.) I may be comparing apples to oranges, but I have shot much better with an issued Beretta M9. Is this expected for Glocks given the specs above? Could it be the sights? They do seem pretty large with little daylight between the notch and front post, but I don't see any other options for suppressed guns. (I've shot with OEM sights and I absolutely prefer them to reach over the can)

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_1921_zpsf699faee.jpg

Pic of Glock
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/Untitled_zpsd0f8321c.png

PatrioticDisorder
02-22-15, 13:32
Was this shot at 25 yards? Off hand? If so I'd say you're a much better shot than me. Triji HD's aren't known to be conducive to long range handgun precision but they are quick (my favorite sights), not to mention the HDs are still covered by the Octane and then some (another reason I prefer the Osprey). Remington 115gr may not be your best choice either, maybe lawman 124-147 might help you tighten the group up a little. Damn good shooting!

MegademiC
02-22-15, 14:05
I don't know about silencers on Handguns or their effects, but for an offhand group at 25yd, its in there. I'd try some different ammo, and different wt ammo. Ive had ammo shoot 5" and different ammo shoot 3".

For one group with one type of ammo, that group is not surprising. Maybe a little big, but still normal, especially for Remington ammo.

I don't think sights are going to make a difference unless its your first or second time out with them.

jhr1986
02-22-15, 15:20
My goal when shooting groups offhand is 1" dispersion for every 5 yards of distance, but I consider anything up to 1.5" per 5 yards acceptable. When shooting a number of groups I'll always have some groups tighter than 1" per 5 usually none over 1.5" per 5. I'm happy as long as the average is within that range and closer to 1" than 1.5". If I'm shooting better than that then I'm shooting too slow. But I'm also a uspsa/3gun shooter not a bullseye type of guy so I know there are others out there that can do a lot better if they really try.

C-grunt
02-22-15, 19:01
A buddy of mine has been looking for suppressor height night sights. Where did you get those?

Eurodriver
02-22-15, 19:09
Hmm. I know the group is "good". Most people I see at the range can't do that at seven yards.

I guess a better question is, on a square range with unlimited time, using the setup in the OP...what would the absolute very best group possible look like? I've never seen a serious shooter use a Glock, and while I've watched guys nail the x rings out of targets with 1911s at 25 yards I have no idea what "excellent" would be for a G19.

A buddy of mine has been looking for suppressor height night sights. Where did you get those?

I ordered these sights, from this exact link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BRGQBTA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These sights are very tall (taller than the Ameriglos), but they do reach over the suppressor. For reference, the dot itself is almost parallel with the top of my can.

MadAngler1
02-22-15, 20:11
I think it's pretty damn good given the set up and if you're shooting offhand. If you want better accuracy, you need a longer barrel and sights with a narrower notch and front sight post. It's a Glock 19; it's definitely not a Beretta. I'm no suppressor expert, but the few people I know who shoot Glocks suppressed achieve roughly the same with ball ammo at that distance. A HK may be a little tighter.

Jwknutson17
02-22-15, 20:31
I get little worse groups then you out of my 19 with osprey on it. Probably a few inches worse. I'm using standard Night sights and shooting through the can. That doesnt help. But I think without the longer barrel, finer sights, etc etc at that distance, that is defiantly quality in my book with the equipment your running. Farther out then that with a glock in hand, I'm going to be grabbing my rifle ;)

samuse
02-22-15, 22:52
If you shot that standing unsupported at 25 yards, then you're a helluva good shot. The gun probably is a little more mechanically accurate, but you'd need to tighten up the ammo and get on a rest to show it.

I'm a 8-10" Glock 19 shooter at 25 yards. Any day, all day, as fast as I can, as slow as I want, pretty much always the same. I used to be able to shoot a 1911 a lot more accurately, but I got rusty and never polished up that skill again.

jhr1986
02-23-15, 09:39
"Excellent" would be 3" at 25 yards. Would require the right ammo and a better shooter than me (or a rest) to be able to do it consistently.

Eurodriver
02-23-15, 10:13
"Excellent" would be 3" at 25 yards. Would require the right ammo and a better shooter than me (or a rest) to be able to do it consistently.

Thanks. That seems insanely difficult.

Any day, all day, as fast as I can, as slow as I want, pretty much always the same. I used to be able to shoot a 1911 a lot more accurately, but I got rusty and never polished up that skill again.

I tend to shoot this way from about 0-10~ yards. It's kind of weird. As soon as the front sight is on the bullseye I squeeze the trigger and the round goes where I expect it. My accuracy is not noticeably improved by slowing down and making each shot count. At 25 yards, however, things change and I really took my time even setting the pistol down a few times.

Since we're talking about it, I actually like shooting with the suppressor and find followup shots easier. The can really holds the barrel down and I can shoot much faster much more accurately suppressed than without it.

markm
02-23-15, 10:21
I used to be able to shoot a 1911 a lot more accurately, but I got rusty and never polished up that skill again.

Exactly the same for me. When I was 21 and had my first Colt 1991a1 with a trigger job.. I was silly accurate.

Now I just try to be able to make a head shot at 15 yards.

mizer67
02-23-15, 12:52
Unsupported, off-hand with a re-barreled Glock, the best I've seen any excellent shooter average consistently, over multiple groups for 10+ rounds is about ~4" at 25 yards, or about a fist sized group. Even the best have flyers that open them up from ~2" to ~4" over enough rounds. I've shot and have seen others shoot multiple ~2" groups unsupported for 10 rounds, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

The inherent mechanical accuracy of my re-barreled Glocks when fired from a rest seems to hover in the 1.5-2.0" range, depending on the load, for 10-round groups at 25 yards depending on the sights used. Larger/wider combat focused sights being less precise overall, in my experience. There may be a little more there that I can't utilize because of a lack of skill and my sight choices.

Sights play a big role in your ability to utilize the mechanical accuracy of the pistol. What you have isn't the best for punching paper.

Aries144
02-24-15, 01:41
ghjkl

sidewaysil80
02-24-15, 02:48
To be honest, it very well may be the sights. Depending on the width of the front sight post and the notch of the rear, that group may be the best you will get. The more light you see on the sides makes it easier/quicker to acquire but it makes it harder to get a consistent positioning of the two and thus a larger group.

PatrioticDisorder
02-24-15, 07:23
Rest the pistol, slow fire at 25 yards, and there's the benchmark for excellence. Get as close to that shooting offhand as possible.

1" at 25 yards is outstanding for mechanical accuracy with a pistol. Most service type pistols seem to shoot around 3-5".

Right and it looks like Euro made a 6" 15 shot group (15!) with Triji HD's not known for accuracy and a suppressor that is blocking much of his sight picture. I suspect with different sights and a lower profile can (Osprey, the new Illusion or the new Surefire Ryder 9) his group may even tighten up. Off hand I don't think very many shooters could do a whole lot better with the given equipment & ammo.

Pappabear
02-24-15, 07:54
It looks like a good enough group to me for a suppressed G19. I'd be happy, but I'm no handgun bullseye shooter.

Eurodriver
02-24-15, 08:15
Right and it looks like Euro made a 6" 15 shot group (15!) with Triji HD's not known for accuracy and a suppressor that is blocking much of his sight picture. I suspect with different sights and a lower profile can (Osprey, the new Illusion or the new Surefire Ryder 9) his group may even tighten up. Off hand I don't think very many shooters could do a whole lot better with the given equipment & ammo.

Thanks. I'd love to get some guy who is an expert bullseye shooter with Glocks to put it in a rest and see what it's capable of, if only for curiosity's sake. The sights really make it difficult.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/FullSizeRender_zps189f0be7.jpg
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/sights_zpsf94189be.png

It looks like a good enough group to me for a suppressed G19. I'd be happy, but I'm no handgun bullseye shooter.

Shoots better than my Remington 700!

02-24-15, 14:06
Decent group. Ammo will make a difference. Any well put together load using Hornady's crazy accurate 115gr. HAP bullet should do better.

samuse
02-24-15, 14:45
To be honest, it very well may be the sights. Depending on the width of the front sight post and the notch of the rear, that group may be the best you will get. The more light you see on the sides makes it easier/quicker to acquire but it makes it harder to get a consistent positioning of the two and thus a larger group.

This is very true for me. I used to always swap the sights on my Glocks for Warrens, Warren Sevignys, 10-8, Amerglo Defoors, always looking for something good but never could get any better accuracy, no matter the training/practice.

Ended up going back to 1911s for awhile and liked to had a stroke the first time I shot with a set of Novaks with a .125" notch/.125" post. Speed increased, accuracy went up, frustration went way down.

Now I shoot stock Glock plastic or night sights like a boss. The wide notch/skinny post just does not work for me. At All.

t15
02-24-15, 17:50
looks good to me. you're going to need a fitted kkm, aftermarket stainless slide, and a polished trigger with - connector to maximize the platform with hand loads.

oh and target sights as has been suggested already! i dont shoot my mepros any better, you should look at an RMR for at least 1 of those glocks. especially if you have the octane already!

t15
02-24-15, 17:57
Thanks. I'd love to get some guy who is an expert bullseye shooter with Glocks to put it in a rest and see what it's capable of, if only for curiosity's sake. The sights really make it difficult.

you could put a chinese clone endo tactical stock on there! i got 1 for 25 bucks on dx.com. already submitted the stamp ;)