PDA

View Full Version : Brake/suppressor muzzle device help

ASH556
02-23-15, 14:23
Hey guys, hoping for some help/experience sharing here before I blaze a trail:

I've just built a new upper that I plan to use for 3gun and also as what the "tactical" world calls a "recce" rifle (basically a carbine with a magnified optic that can be used up close or out to maybe 600 or so yards with moderate precision). The upper is a BCM 14.5" mid-gas BFH barrel with a BCM KMR 13 handguard; very similar to the one TTI shows below. Anyway, where I'm struggling is with the brake. I have an AAC suppressor that I'd like to be able to use on this rifle when not shooting 3gun to make it quieter/more pleasant to shoot. However, I don't want to give up anything when it comes to speed for 3gun. Our local matches are all 100yds or less and so speed is important in being competitive. The obvious answer seems to be to run the AAC brake, right, but I'm not convinced. I had an M&P10 .308 AR and changed from a JP Cooley to the AAC when I got my can and was disappointed at the noticeable difference in recoil and muzzle movement. I realize this is a .223, but I would expect similar results. I heard good things about the AAC Brakeout 2.0 so I bought one and tried it Friday night against my SJC Titan. I fired 5 shot groups as fast as I could pull the trigger (under 1 sec from low ready) at 5.5" B-8 targets and while the AAC Brakeout 2.0 showed noticeable up and right stringing, the Titan kept everything well inside the black center.

I know the guys @ SJC and talked to them about making a hybrid Titan/AAC 51-T type device. However, in order to fit inside the suppressor, it will have to be both shorter and smaller ID than the Titan. I'm wondering if by the time we do that, it will only work as well as the AAC and I'd be better off just doing that from the get-go rather than investing the time and money to make a custom brake/suppressor mount.'

Sorry for the long post, but not sure how else to communicate the question. Thanks for any/all feedback.
ETA: Oh, forgot to mention: The reason I'm stressing the decision so much is that because it's a 14.5" barrel, the final result/decision will need to be pinned/welded. I'm currently running the upper on my SBR lower while I test/decide, but want to put it back on a non-NFA lower once pinned/welded.

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10397192_809371805748225_5169255655107090052_o.jpg

GH41
02-23-15, 15:00
Your case is a good example of why 14.5" barrels make no sense. If I were in your shoes I would consider adding an adjustable gas block before pinning.

doriwoogie
02-23-15, 15:00
Have you looked at the 51t Battlecomp?

ASH556
02-23-15, 15:21
Have you looked at the 51t Battlecomp?

Yes, I invented it. I'm not sure in this case that the Battlecomp has as much braking capabilities as I want.
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/6F959CEA-93EF-4D9E-BADC-757BD500CF27.png (http://s854.photobucket.com/user/ASH556/media/6F959CEA-93EF-4D9E-BADC-757BD500CF27.png.html)

Nevermiss
02-23-15, 15:52
I'll follow this thread with interest. Years ago when I got into 3 Gun, I purchased a couple JP Rifles with their brake and have been happy with it although I know some are a little better. On my other ARs I run surefire brakes and AAC brakes so I can use my 762 SDN and 762K cans. None of these brakes are as effective at minimizing muzzle rise as the JP.

mtdawg169
02-25-15, 08:26
Ash, it seems like the tines on the blackout FH are longer than the AAC brake, forward of the ratchet. I wonder if they could make a 3 chamber brake with the same length as the flash hider? It seems like you could squeeze an extra chamber in there, but the individual chamber sizes may have to be adjusted.

dpd229
02-25-15, 17:02
Im interested as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASH556
03-02-15, 15:06
A little update: I talked with John of SJC Customs on Friday night and he's working with me to develop a 51-tooth Titan! I'll get pics up as soon as it's done. John is excited about the project and so am I. If all goes well, then there should be "production" versions available following shortly. Imagine that, the best of both worlds: best comp on the market with the ability to mount your suppressor as well. In the meantime, here's the rifle I'll be using the mount on. For now, it's just sporting a regular Titan un-pinned on a 14.5" barrel sitting on a registered SBR lower.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/88DBA05F-B821-45C0-A858-E7A849F9490B.jpg

Toecheese
03-02-15, 19:39
Your case is a good example of why 14.5" barrels make no sense. If I were in your shoes I would consider adding an adjustable gas block before pinning.

Agreed, and I thought Recce builds were SS 16" barrels.

The Godevil
03-02-15, 20:04
https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/muzzlebrakes/gen-ii-micro-bastard/

This one is not "can" compatible but works really well. If you've never tried it, they're right down the road from you and would let you try one.