PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else seeing these tabloid advertising?

Jaysop
02-23-15, 15:36
Everytime I click on a thread in between the comments there's celebrity bullshit! Please tell me my phone has some kind of virus...

VIP3R 237
02-23-15, 15:37
I'm seeing it too. It sucks!

MountainRaven
02-23-15, 15:42
Definitely not alone.

I figured it was intentional. I saw a little bit of raw coding in the spaces between each post earlier.

ace4059
02-23-15, 15:43
I'm also seeing it. I would bet they are doing it for a little extra dough.

JulyAZ
02-23-15, 15:44
I'm not? But I only access from tapatalk

skijunkie55
02-23-15, 15:44
So it's just under the first post on every thread?? weeeird.

scooter22
02-23-15, 15:55
Don't see it on my iPhone or MacBook.

rushca01
02-23-15, 16:02
See it on my iPad.

Vandal
02-23-15, 16:06
I'm seeing it on my MacBook. It is just below the first thread on each post and annoying as hell.

I guess M4C wasn't bringing in enough ad revenue with all of the ads we would actually click on at the top of the page.

Ryno12
02-23-15, 16:11
I use Tapatalk so I don't see it (thankfully) but I heard about it.

Someone's got a new shop to pay for so...
;)

ace4059
02-23-15, 16:22
What's sad is the adds are not gun related and has nothing to do with this site.

lunchbox
02-23-15, 16:37
I hate to ask, but could it be a hack/virus?

SilverBullet432
02-23-15, 16:37
I see it, and I don't like it.

Kain
02-23-15, 16:56
Yeah, not a fan of it, I like the banner farm up top since it tasteful and convenient for me to find places and manufactures I actually use. These ones popped up like I was messing on my phone, weird, and I too thought it was a hack of something on the site. On my browser though it looks like the first post is halfway covering it up.

UDT
02-23-15, 17:22
I'm also seeing it.

scooter22
02-23-15, 17:37
Use the 'Ghostery' extension for Google Chrome.

Noodles
02-23-15, 17:46
Heh, I remember ads in like 2007 before I started using Adblock.

RIDE
02-23-15, 17:58
Please don't let this be the M4C shark jump.
If the site needs the extra money, allow for premium membership that are easy to pay.
I've begged to pony up some money in appreciation of M4C, turns out it's literally the most difficult place on the planet to GIVE money to.

Jaysop
02-23-15, 18:17
If the site needs the extra money, allow for premium membership that are easy to pay.
I've begged to pony up some money in appreciation of M4C, turns out it's literally the most difficult place on the planet to GIVE money to.

Yea your not kidding. I while back I tried to do the same thing. I've never offered money and not gotten responses before.
I'll have to look on my laptop but I think Chrome on my phone has ad block too. Of they were industry adverts it would be cool but I couldn't give the slightest **** about the Kardashians.

FlyingHunter
02-23-15, 18:34

Agree - I'd rather pay to keep the quality appearance

.46caliber
02-23-15, 18:37
Different ads are sourced differently depending on the ad provider.

Google Ads work based on your search history and web habits. I've got no clue how Taboola determines which ads to display. Every time I've run across their ad space across the web, it's full of crap I'd never even think of clicking on. It appears it's been setup to only display ads after the first post of a given thread.

From Taboola's Home page:

Taboola recommends editorial and sponsored content across many of the world’s most highly-trafficked sites.

We help publishers monetize their content and drive higher engagement. We enable brands to surface their content to the right audience at-scale.

And above all, we help people discover content they may like yet never knew existed.

As others have mentioned, if you don't want to see them, in the short term you can use an ad-blocking extension for your web browser.

Tapatalk also does not show ads if you're using a smartphone or tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

RIDE
02-23-15, 18:45
I installed adBlock for Safari. It blocks them, but It also blocks the ads from the Site Sponsors, Which I actually like. Nice to click the G&R add and go straight there, or DD or Aim, or BCM, etc etc.

I am POSITIVE the site sponsors would rather keep their ads viewable than everyone block the site sponsor ads just to get rid of the spam type ads in between the first and second post of every page of every thread.

HD1911
02-23-15, 19:45
Seeing the garbage Ads as well.

Lnxgeek
02-23-15, 21:16
I am POSITIVE the site sponsors would rather keep their ads viewable than everyone block the site sponsor ads just to get rid of the spam type ads in between the first and second post of every page of every thread.

Agreed, I wonder if the sponsors know about the new spam ads.

NCPatrolAR
02-23-15, 21:45
We're checking on it now.

TMS951
02-23-15, 22:12
Agreed, I wonder if the sponsors know about the new spam ads.

Like others have said I actually like adds up top from the sponsors. I find them convent and I always thought m4c vetted them to make sure only quality companies and retailers advertised.

If this is not a hack I will use a an add blocker which prior to this thread never even knew about.

If this is intentional the sponsors of actual gun gear should be very angry and I hope many pull their adds, especially since many of us who install extensions won't be able to see them.

I'll give m4c the benefit of the doubt for now, if it doesn't get changed I'll have a whole new perceptive on this site.

LoveAR
02-23-15, 22:56
I am seeing it too. Looks like some kind of Spam.

LoveAR
02-23-15, 22:58
What is Taboola?

Waylander
02-23-15, 23:03
Google Chrome mobile unfortunately doesn't have plug in capability to use an ad blocker. Firefox for mobile does though. I know FF is available for Android but not iOS that I'm aware of.

Desktop browsers like Chrome or Firefox have several ad blocking plug ins. Unfortunately as mentioned they also block the site sponsor ads. There are options to create specific filters to include or exclude certain ads by domain and other rules I can't recall. I can take a look tomorrow to see what I can do if anybody is interested.

MistWolf
02-23-15, 23:07
The big question is why are we getting this crap? Is it officially sanctioned by the M4 PTB? Or did it sneak in by a back door somewhere?

MistWolf
02-23-15, 23:21
I missed this post from a STAFF member

We're checking on it now.

From this, I gather this Taboola crapola isn't sanctioned.

My suggestion? Cry HAVOCK! and let loose the Hackers of Anarchy

Cincinnatus
02-23-15, 23:38
I am seeing these same ads at other gun forums that use v-bulletin, too. I don't think it's an M4C thing but a v-bulletin thing.

Waylander
02-24-15, 00:07
I have been seeing these Taboola ads when I'm forced to use Internet Explorer for certain legit websites to behave correctly.

ace4059
02-24-15, 00:29
I am now at home on my computer and the ads are not on the first page below the first post.... it is now on entire first page when you scroll to the right side of the screen. There's a scroll bar on the bottom of the screen and its large ads now.

I'm thinking someone got hacked!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-24-15, 08:59
I see it, I was thinking I had a virus or something...

Ballistic Agency
02-24-15, 09:35
It's not a hack.