PDA

View Full Version : camping ?

Honu
02-24-15, 01:06
just curious how many are into camping and what type

used to do a ton of bicycle touring never hiking
do a ton of car camping into hammocks quite a bit not a motorhome kinda camper but thats fine if folks are
longest stint I did was 6 months while living off the land to have fun see if we could do it was quite the experience I was 30 when I did that
figured easily spent over 3 years of my life living out of a tent my ideal retirement would be a nice Fuso rig and travel all the time

C-grunt
02-24-15, 01:15
Here in a couple months Im taking my wife "real" camping for her first time. She had gone with her father and stepmom as a child but they use full camper trailers. We are going tent camping up near the Mogollon Rim. I hope she has a blast.

ABNAK
02-24-15, 05:14
Had my fill of "camping" as a grunt in the Army. Since then if there ain't a shitter and a shower forget it!

Averageman
02-24-15, 05:56
Had my fill of "camping" as a grunt in the Army. Since then if there ain't a shitter and a shower forget it!

Hoooahhh!

Honu
02-24-15, 06:15
awesome :) we like going up that way and up toward flag area to

Here in a couple months Im taking my wife "real" camping for her first time. She had gone with her father and stepmom as a child but they use full camper trailers. We are going tent camping up near the Mogollon Rim. I hope she has a blast.

TXBK
02-24-15, 06:27

No worries, they make both of those for camping. :)

I have always car or ATV camped, since I was a kid. Now, I am trending more towards hiking, so I am having to upgrade to smaller and lighter gear. I love sleeping outdoors. I have never been on any kind of adventure, that lasted more than a few days. Mostly, camping on private property. Here lately, a friend and I go out to the farm and camp a few days, shooting and hiking day and night.

The most fun that I ever had camping, was a river conoeing trip with ten of my friends that only lasted a couple days. It was the first and only time that my wife (girlfriend at the time) has camped with me. I am trying to get her interested in camping again.

wildcard600
02-24-15, 07:05
I love car camping. i would like to try backpacking but the investment in new gear that would be light enough is prohibitive. i suppose i could really rough it and just use bare "survival" gear, but somehow i dont think that would make for a terribly enjoyable trip.

Honu
02-24-15, 16:00
our car camping is more 4x4 into trails/roads where most do not go or could not go gets you out of the way a bit more

we used to do a lot of survival minimal type camping when I was young was really fun after about 30 though and my long stint I quit doing that but is fun to do

one thing I still do and have to do more of is practicing skills even making fire which is rare here with burn bans but want to make sure my kids can start a fire with basics etc.....

Outlander Systems
02-24-15, 18:57
Backpacking.

Ultra-Light, Minimalist kit.

If I wanted to sit around, I'd rent a cabin.

; )

wildcard600
02-24-15, 20:26
our car camping is more 4x4 into trails/roads where most do not go or could not go gets you out of the way a bit more

That's how we like to do it too. Luckily I've got a buddy with access to 1200 acres, 600 in one county and 600 more in another county over so even if we wanted to just camp right off the road there wouldn't be anyone around, but getting to the "back forty" there bouncing along a jeep trail for 45 minutes makes it a bit more satisfying and gives a much better feeling of getting "away from it all".

Whiskey_Bravo
02-24-15, 23:09
Backpacking for me, but I have not made the jump to ultra-light yet nor do I see myself doing it anytime soon. I enjoy packing in a nice pint of Guinness or two if the weather is right and a flask of good whiskey.

Opening a pint after a full day of hard trail walking is totally worth packing it in.

Ironman8
02-25-15, 08:52
Backpacking...and better yet Backpack Hunting! Did 9 days in Idaho hunting elk last November and can't wait to do it again

docsherm
02-25-15, 09:00
I have a 32" RV with a generator that the family goes camping in. :)

It is very nice to have a full kitchen and SAT TV while "ruffing it"....... :jester:

THCDDM4
02-25-15, 09:44
Love to go camping. We do a combination of 4x4 camping and backpacking.

We will get back into the woods in the middle of nowhere, make a "home base" campground to use for a few days and then hike out even further and do a loop back to home base over a few days hike whilst camping minimalist style during the hike and then back to home base for sitting around a fire, drinking booze, shooting, fieldcraft, river tubing, fishing, etc.

Best of both worlds and a shit ton of fun.

We try to get out as often as we can to get away from the city. Lots of places in CO to go, all are so beautiful. Sometimes we go to WY as well. Haven't done a MN or ND trip in too long, wanna get back to each this year or next.

I'm already jonesing to get out in the middle of nowhere and look up at the universe. The city sucks. Wife didn't like going in the snow- so it's not an all year thing for me anymore...

alvincullumyork
02-25-15, 18:53
Backpacking into Wilderness areas and more recently dual sport camping off my motorcycle.

My main hiking buddy. I've pulled her up and down cliffs and she's climbed thousands of feet with me.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/25/95529d3b07a46f782b41fa42e53f624f.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/25/aaf4a82228fe39a7dcaff55cab3c1dd0.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/25/4cfee267471933d3538c45e9e2839dcc.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/25/f5fe4afccbde3c523b72add0442600bc.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/25/f8ce8dc7d25d7aff6eb41f655f4e5dc5.jpg