PDA

View Full Version : Bushnell MP vs. Primary Arms Classic 30mm Red Dot

Barnstormer
02-24-15, 09:51
So I've just finished my first rifle build and I would like to put a decent quality, low budget red dot on it for now. This will go on a carbine that will be primarily for range time, and to keep by the nightstand. I've done as much reading on these two as I can find and I know some are going to say to save up for a Trijicon, EOTech, or Aimpoint. For now, spending more on the optic is not an option, as much as I would like them.

I know the Bushnell gets knocked for looking like an ACOG. That makes no difference to me one way or the other. I realize it is a little heavier than other options and I'm not terrible concerned with that either as I don't typically have to carry my rifles for extended periods of time. There are many good reviews for it, and I like what was reported in the torture test thread. I also like the T reticle. The bad reviews seemed to be associated with the reticle more than anything but those seem to be several years old, I'm wondering if these issues are less common in the current production units?

I have read that PA in general has great quality stuff and that their customer service is outstanding and that goes a long way too. Other than the reviews on their website, I have not seen much on this specific unit.

Neither would be used wit a magnifier so that won't factor into my decision. I can get both for the same price and the bushnell has free shipping to boot!

Any pros/cons or general opinions of the two to help me decide would be great. Again I realize these aren't $500+ optics.

Thanks in advance!

WickedWillis
02-24-15, 10:26
Standard 30mm red dot, why not look at the Vortex strikefire? for what it is, it really works quite well. Glass is not as clear as my aimpoint and the red dot tends to wash out a little more but on the budget red dots that is something you will just have to deal with for the most part. For the money, that is a hard sight to beat. I have heard good things about the PA stuff as well, and I know a few gentleman on here have them on plinker rifles and such. I cannot comment on the bushnell though. Good luck!

FeltaDorce
02-24-15, 10:38
Another vote for vortex strikefire V2. (version 1 is ok too, but I dislike the side mounted on/off button).

Barnstormer
02-24-15, 11:25
Thanks for the quick replies. I've read good things about the Vortex too, I'll do a little more looking at that one. The V2 seems to be about $180 most everywhere and then you have to get a mount for it too witch makes it over $200 easily. If someone is running a good deal on them let me know. Palmetto has a sale on the Bushnell right now for $79 shipped, witch was worth giving it a shot I thought.

FeltaDorce
02-24-15, 11:26
It comes with mount and caps. No extra costs.

HardToHandle
02-24-15, 21:48
Palmetto has a sale on the Bushnell right now for $79 shipped, witch was worth giving it a shot I thought.

No direct experience with the Bushnell MP but I have found the Bushnell TRS25 adequate. Comparable optics quality to Primary Arms red dot.