PDA

View Full Version : PRI or AA ff tube?

advntrjnky
02-24-15, 14:20
For those of you that have run either or both, is one better than the other? They both seem to fit my needs and haven't heard much negative about either. Which would you choose an why?

Thanks!
advntrjnky

Hemoglobin
02-24-15, 14:47
I don't run them, but what are your perceived needs for those items. I have only seen the PRI on Mk12 clones so I'm genuinely curious.

Noodles
02-24-15, 15:53
I don't run them, but what are your perceived needs for those items. I have only seen the PRI on Mk12 clones so I'm genuinely curious.

Yea, and they are antiquated there. I'll never understand the idea of clone builds but that's another matter. Pretty much anything 2010 and up stomps all over the PRI tubes, I've only used one for a couple mags at a private facility, it was heavy and tall with the over-rail rail. I remember thinking it's supposed to be light.

I honestly don't know what AA is... Adam Arms? If that's the case, it's a Samson rail they are using now. I don't mind the rainier version but I can definitely say I would select neither of these rails for any reason.

advntrjnky
02-25-15, 01:57
Sorry, Alexander Arms is AA.

I'm not building a clone of anything and metal HGs are out.

Thanks,
advntrjnky

MegademiC
02-25-15, 07:53

Thanks,
advntrjnky

Why?

The more info you provide, the more we can hone in on what will actually fit your needs best. Different people like different things for different reasons. I don't think you want to drop money based on other people's opinions.

Tx_Aggie
02-25-15, 08:39

Thanks,
advntrjnky

A shop local to me has been an Alexander dealer off and on over the years (Alexander Arms is located about 20 minutes from my house). The AA MK10 Composite handguard is nice. They are extremely light, thermally neutral, and relatively easy to install. The material is a little slick, but the holes drilled in the MK10 provide plenty of grip surface to make up for that. For a hunting rifle, precision rig, or competition rifle they are a great choice in my opinion.

If you're comparing with a PRI tube the AA is lighter and also probably less expensive.

Noodles
02-25-15, 10:49
Why [not metal]?
The more info you provide, the more we can hone in on what will actually fit your needs best.

Yea... I'd like to see the reasoning behind "metal HGs are out". About the only thing you could say would be, I live in Wisconsin and this is my winter-only to-be-stored-outside game-control rifle, or some exceptionally narrow parameter where "metal" won't work, but free float is required.

Because while I agree with Tx_Aggie, the AA looks like a cheaper and lighter alternative to the PRI... Both look mid-90s to me. Oh, proprietary rail sections, I remember when that was a thing. Looking at the "lightweight" AA, it's still heavier length for length than a BCM KMR which is certainly a better rail system.

LRRPF52
02-25-15, 12:54
I've used them all. The PRI's are just heavy for a carbon fiber handguard, similar to the old thick ArmaLite Inc. carbon tubes. One other handguard to consider from PRI is the Delta model, which is a triangular tube that rides bags and packs really well, but is still quite heavy for CF.

I do like the AA G10 handguards for precision rifle builds. They aren't the lightest carbon tube on the market, but they do balance out a hunting or target gun extremely well, while still maintaining substantial feel to the handguard. The barrel nut is symmetrical, and applies uniform force to the extension and upper, as opposed to some of the pinch type handguard attachment options currently on the market. For a heavier barrel with flutes, I really like the G10 a lot. A buddy of mine has a 28" 6.5 Grendel with the extended length G10. To me, it looked like a heavy beast of a rifle that I simply had no interest in....until I picked it up. Even with the Satern 28" heavy fluted barrel and PRS, it was one of the best balanced rifles I have ever held with a barrel that long. No matter the position I shot it from, it stayed true in the hands. Those are the kinds of rifles I like and don't want to let go of.

One benefit of carbon fiber is that when you dress out, and your hands are covered in blood, they don't stick to it like they do to a metal handguard in extreme cold, like many of us experience in hunting season. I hunt in the Rockies and Scandinavia in the winter, so this is a big consideration for me personally.

For a lightweight, superbly-balanced fighting carbine with 12 o'clock rail, I think the BCM KMR is pretty revolutionary in that it offers the weight benefits of a lightweight carbon fiber HG, while maintaining an alloy structure that is machinable for a nice one-piece tube, versus the bolt-on route required for CF tubes when looking at 1913 rails.

Another tube that I really like is the new AP Customs CF tube with increased fastener points for the barrel nut, aluminum barrel nut, and aluminum capped front end, with the 12" rifle-length model still weighing in at 7.6oz. They make an awesome little hunting stick free-float tube that contributes to a featherweight rifle, even when using medium or medium-heavy contour pipes.

I built a 6.5 Grendel 20" Lilja/PF upper for a guy with one, and when I mated it with my XM177E2 clone lower with heavy aluminum telestock just to see how it would balance, the rifle still tipped the scales at 6lbs 2oz without optics. That's a 20" AR15 that spits a 123gr 6.5mm at 2600fps into 1" for 5rds at 200yds, as reported by the owner after receiving it. That was with a full weight BCG.

So I have different formulas for the type of carbine or rifle that I am building.

Ubiquitous, lightweight, nicely balanced fighting/HD carbine? BCM KMR easy answer

Lightweight hunter/dual-purpose target carbine or rifle? AP Customs or AA G10

I'm currently looking at replacing my wife's Troy/VTAC handguard with the KMR, and am using the AP Customs for a friend's 6.5 Grendel hunting upper.

It will be interesting to see who jumps on the bandwagon with the next lightweight alloy handguard, and how the carbon fiber HG market will continue to grow.

advntrjnky
02-25-15, 17:19
Thanks for the info! It will indeed be for my winter hunting rig. I regularly hunt in Northern MN in -0f temps and throughout the winter near home in WI culling Ag deer for a friend. Metal HGs are very uncomfortable. I've been carrying and AR almost exclusively for three seasons now. My main rig is a Colt gvt profile barrel I chopped to 18" with a pre A1 non-trap door buttstock. The rubber butt is far better in cold weather than an A1 or A2 trapdoor. I have a load with 62gr tsx that shoots pretty good. I am leaning towards the AA Mk10 but have also looked a little at the AP Custom. This build will be with with a 20" 308r2 wildcat barrel that I've had sitting on for quite a while. Currently it's together with an old Armalite FF tube I had in the parts bin.....still waiting on AA 1680 powder to get in stock locally to do the load development. For those of you suggesting the BCM KMR, I will be using that for my tactical carbine that's in process.

advntrjnky

MistWolf
02-25-15, 19:19
I'd like to see the reasoning behind "metal HGs are out

Because they are miserably cold when it's cold out and get intolerably hot when left in the sun or when the rifle is run hard and the Mlok sounds the death knell of rail sections for the savvy do it yourselfer. The question isn't "Why are metal handguards out" but "Why metal handguards?"

ABNAK
02-27-15, 01:38
I have a PRI tube on my 20" rifle. While it isn't exactly "light", I like it. Guess that runs counter to the comments here but oh well.

mig1nc
02-27-15, 09:26
This PRI tube is less than an ounce heavier than the comparable AA tube of the same length according to manufacturer's specs.
http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=396951&CAT=4812

Given the PRI tube has military credentials (even if with a different barrel nut and the over-rail-rail), I would prefer to go that route given the two choices you mentioned.

If you are open to other ideas, the AP Custom Rhino carbon fibre handguards look quite interesting to me.

MegademiC
02-27-15, 09:34
You could always wrap some insulation or get rail covers over a metal handgaurd, but wanting something with a lower heat capacity makes sense. I don't have any experience with other materials, so good luck.

LRRPF52
03-05-15, 00:48
I took 7oz off a PRI AR10 handguard last night by removing the 12, 9, and 3 o'clock rails, as well as the heat shield inside, and added a Magpul Mlok low profile QD socket at the 9 o'clock. It's much more streamlined and lightweight now at 9.9oz, not counting the barrel nut and threaded ring.

Tx_Aggie
03-05-15, 14:24
I took 7oz off a PRI AR10 handguard last night by removing the 12, 9, and 3 o'clock rails, as well as the heat shield inside, and added a Magpul Mlok low profile QD socket at the 9 o'clock. It's much more streamlined and lightweight now at 9.9oz, not counting the barrel nut and threaded ring.

It's good to know that you can shave that much weight off of the PRI tube by removing the rails and heat shield.

If I remember correctly, a rifle length handguard (without rail sections) from Alexander weighs right at 10 ounces with the barrel nut.