PDA

View Full Version : Geissele SSA in Colt 6951 9mm?

Slimcakes
02-24-15, 18:20
New production, as of last month....

I know COLT is ramping the bolt on these now and I've read on TOS that fellas are installing aftermarket triggers in them, but it seems more like a 'let's try this', rather than a confirmed plug and play.

Further, I called Geissele and spoke with a young woman...she was nice, but seemed to be not too aware of a 9mm COLT being made...sort of gave me a generic answer the Geissele pins were harder, more durable than COLT's and that the SSA should work fine. Again, the answer didn't feel thoroughly definitive to me.

I know COLT put stainless pins in the trigger group for a reason...anybody with thoughts on this?

halo2304
02-24-15, 18:31
I've read the SD3G does not work, but I believe the SSA-E will. No first had experience here though.

ajacobs
02-24-15, 18:42
Works for me in a 6951 with ramped bolt. G2s also works. S3g does not.

Arty155
02-25-15, 08:35
New production, as of last month....

I know COLT is ramping the bolt on these now and I've read on TOS that fellas are installing aftermarket triggers in them, but it seems more like a 'let's try this', rather than a confirmed plug and play.

Further, I called Geissele and spoke with a young woman...she was nice, but seemed to be not too aware of a 9mm COLT being made...sort of gave me a generic answer the Geissele pins were harder, more durable than COLT's and that the SSA should work fine. Again, the answer didn't feel thoroughly definitive to me.

I know COLT put stainless pins in the trigger group for a reason...anybody with thoughts on this?

We haven't tested the 9mm rifles here at the shop but we have had some customers tell us they work and some say they do not work. Since the 9mm AR's don't have a mil-spec its kind of hard to say which ones will be fine and which ones won't be. From what we have seen, the S3G and SD3G won't be compatible due to the short reset on them along with the ramped bolt found on most 9mm AR rifles. As far as the pins go, we harden our pins to ensure that they remain very strong and have never had any types of issues with the pin breaking on any AR platform. I hope this helps clear it up a bit.

-Geissele Customer Service

Slimcakes
02-25-15, 12:03
We haven't tested the 9mm rifles here at the shop but we have had some customers tell us they work and some say they do not work. Since the 9mm AR's don't have a mil-spec its kind of hard to say which ones will be fine and which ones won't be. From what we have seen, the S3G and SD3G won't be compatible due to the short reset on them along with the ramped bolt found on most 9mm AR rifles. As far as the pins go, we harden our pins to ensure that they remain very strong and have never had any types of issues with the pin breaking on any AR platform. I hope this helps clear it up a bit.

-Geissele Customer Service

GSC, that does help. I have SSA's in my other 4 COLT's, all 5.56 guns, and I know the SSA (other triggers in your line-up) are engineered to work, and work reliably, in the 5.56 pattern AR.

I was looking for the same kind of testing or at least a more definitive answer than a user reporting he/she has 250, 500 or 1,000 rounds through a 9mm gun and proclaiming "it's good to go".

I've read enough here and elsewhere, and been around firearms long enough, to know that a reliable part, designed to work in one weapon, can be inserted into another similar kind, work for awhile and then later have a serious failure due to the part not being designed specifically for the forces said firearm produces on that specific part.

Given your reply, and the kind of engineering time COLT has put into it's 9mm AR, to include recent factory upgrades to enhance it's reliability, it seems prudent to stick with the COLT factory setup for the 9mm caliber.

Again, thank you GSC for your time and outstanding triggers.

Abraham
09-07-15, 14:47
Will the 6951 accept ALG triggers?

BillBond
09-07-15, 21:07
... it seems prudent to stick with the COLT factory setup for the 9mm caliber....

That is the same conclusion I came to.

bfoosh006
02-15-16, 12:00
Deleted

Bushy24
11-03-16, 14:11
I'll be testing the Geissele SD3G trigger in my newly manufactured RRA LAR-9 this weekend. According to an article...http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/rock-river-arms-lar-9/#bals16-lar9-lead
...I found, the 9mm carbine bolt system has been redesigned in a way to allow a greater range of aftermarket components to be compatible with them. Wish me luck!

"Ramping is what allows users to use a standard-configuration hammer rather than a 9mm-specific hammer with the 9mm bolt. This is important because it allows you to use some of the specialty trigger and hammer sets that you couldn’t run with them previously. Not all of them, but most of them."

bfoosh006
11-09-16, 14:44
Deleted

smike308
11-26-16, 02:38
Bushy24---Any update on your trigger test? I also have a RRA 9 and have held off on trigger improvements just because of the lack of definitive info. Standing by for your results. TIA

HMM
11-26-16, 06:51
Geissele Super Dynamic Combat Two Stage Trigger in my Angstadt Arms upper/lower set works. It's their bolt carrier group as well. I also put the bolt carrier group in my 5.56 rifle and it worked with the SSA model as well.

Bushy24
11-26-16, 07:21
Smiley,

Yep. I have about 10 or so mags through my RRA 9. The sd3g trigger runs flawlessly! I'm super excited about that! Geissele asked me to get back to them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utahjeepr
11-27-16, 06:04
I have a QC10 Colt pattern with QC10 ramped bolt and JP SCS buffer system. The SSA-E functions flawlessly. However, the hammer will not allow removal of the SCS, I have to remove the RE in order to access and clean the SCS. Pretty narrow set of circumstances, just passing it along to inform others if they intend to try the same configuration.

Todd.K
11-27-16, 12:31
You should not use the JP SCS in a blowback 9mm. NEVER REDUCE THE WEIGHT OF THE BUFFER TO LESS THAN A 9MM BUFFER.

utahjeepr
11-27-16, 16:08
You should not use the JP SCS in a blowback 9mm. NEVER REDUCE THE WEIGHT OF THE BUFFER TO LESS THAN A 9MM BUFFER.

It's a 9mm SCS.

Bushy24
11-28-16, 21:33
The Geissele SD3G trigger also worked flawlessly in my S&W M&P 15-22 PC! 10 magS, varying speeds, distances and scenarios, no hiccups.

smike308
11-28-16, 22:55
Bushy24--thanks to you and the others who added info to this thread. It helps to have someone's experience to draw from.

Ridgeline
01-12-17, 10:56
I have a little over 3k rounds with a G2S in my 9mm AR and it is fine. I use the pins that came with the trigger and it's in a DDLES lower.

Prior to this I was using a standard lower with an unramp bolt and dedicated 9mm hammer with standard pins. I lost rds count but know it's over 10k and I never had any issues. I kept hearing about pins breaking and pin holes egging out, but I never experience it. I did use some KNS pins for a few thousand rds due concerns, but took them out because I thought they were ugly. I don't use them now.

Mad Machinist
01-12-17, 19:59
I have seen a both ....9mm that work and those that don't with various triggers.... we are implementing a design change in our 9mm bolts as soon as testing is done that so far seems to work with everything we have tested with....from an SSA-E to a Larue MBT.....as well as with a standard full auto parts kit in a subgun application.
Rudy.....Macon Armory

Iraqgunz
01-13-17, 01:20
The hammer pin will break at some point. It's a known issue due to the direct blowback.

I have a little over 3k rounds with a G2S in my 9mm AR and it is fine. I use the pins that came with the trigger and it's in a DDLES lower.

Prior to this I was using a standard lower with an unramp bolt and dedicated 9mm hammer with standard pins. I lost rds count but know it's over 10k and I never had any issues. I kept hearing about pins breaking and pin holes egging out, but I never experience it. I did use some KNS pins for a few thousand rds due concerns, but took them out because I thought they were ugly. I don't use them now.

Lefty223
01-13-17, 07:32
Running a Geiselle SSA-E trigger in an otherwise stock Olympic 9mm. No idea of round count, but no issues.

mooseman
02-05-17, 16:02
Did you end up trying it out? I picked up a 6951 last week and was interested to hear since I put Geissele Triggers into all of my ARs.

Singlestack Wonder
02-25-17, 14:17
If a properly ramped 9mm bolt is used, are there still potential hammer pin breakage / lower receiver hammer pin hole wear issues?