PDA

View Full Version : poor site performance...

orkan
07-06-08, 20:36
Seems to be a lot of good information here. However, I hate spending much time here, because most of it is watching the blue bar in internet explorer.

I am a web developer, so I notice these kinds of things. Just in case you guys didn't know, this site is extremely laggy. Often times, website owners aren't even aware there is a problem, because no one says anything. hehe

Well I'm telling you now. You have a problem.

Could be a routing issue, but its very unlikely. Most likely, is a server load/management problem.

As I mentioned, I do this type of thing professionally, so if you'd like help troubleshooting your problem, I'd be glad to help. In the mean time, I try not to spend too much time here, as most of it ends up wasted while waiting for the server to kick the php over to the next page.

Robb Jensen
07-06-08, 20:38
I use FireFox as a browser and Comcast internet service and it's lightening fast.

warpigM-4
07-06-08, 20:48
No problems here on my end connection is fast

orkan
07-06-08, 20:50
Doesn't matter if I use IE, Firefox, Opera, etc...

I've tested it on approx 12 different computers at 5 different locations.

I've used cable, dsl, and an OC-48...

Still slower than molasses in january.

So as I mentioned, if it isnt server related, then it is something to do with the routing up here to the great white north.

R.D.
07-06-08, 20:58
Im using Firefox here and cable modem,the site is extremely fast. Even the Magpul AAR with a LOT of pictures was fast.

Jay Cunningham
07-06-08, 21:02
Seems to be a lot of good information here. However, I hate spending much time here, because most of it is watching the blue bar in internet explorer.

I am a web developer, so I notice these kinds of things. Just in case you guys didn't know, this site is extremely laggy. Often times, website owners aren't even aware there is a problem, because no one says anything. hehe

Well I'm telling you now. You have a problem.

Could be a routing issue, but its very unlikely. Most likely, is a server load/management problem.

As I mentioned, I do this type of thing professionally, so if you'd like help troubleshooting your problem, I'd be glad to help. In the mean time, I try not to spend too much time here, as most of it ends up wasted while waiting for the server to kick the php over to the next page.

You seem to be the only one with a problem, fella.

rob_s
07-06-08, 21:45
Yep, no problems here either.

This isn't one of those computer-dork type "lags" where it's taking 17 milliseconds for the page to load instead of 10, is it?

Buckaroo
07-06-08, 21:47
I use FireFox as a browser and Comcast internet service and it's lightening fast.

+1 :cool:

jamesbond
07-06-08, 22:01
I am using firebug and page loads in less than 4 seconds everytime. Half of the greek/latin (server/router/blah), I din even understand.

ST911
07-06-08, 22:15
Well I'm telling you now. You have a problem. Could be a routing issue, but its very unlikely. Most likely, is a server load/management problem. As I mentioned, I do this type of thing professionally, so if you'd like help troubleshooting your problem, I'd be glad to help. In the mean time, I try not to spend too much time here, as most of it ends up wasted while waiting for the server to kick the php over to the next page.

Does your computer have the BCM Network Card Upgrade Kit? That could be the issue. Site is optimized for same.

Or, perhaps your network card is short stroking. I would field strip the machine and hit the card with a MOACKS. Then, try loading one page at a time and see what happens.

:D

K.L. Davis
07-07-08, 00:03
So as I mentioned, if it isnt server related, then it is something to do with the routing up here to the great white north.

Due to the nature of M4C posts, all request from Canada have to go through the ITAR "AECA Compliance Server" -- this can add a considerable amount of time for pages and content to load.

ZDL
07-07-08, 00:35
It lagged for the first time for me yesterday. It was like this for about 30 mins. Other than that 1 time this site has been very fast. The lag could have been on my end just wanted to note it happened.

Scattergun
07-07-08, 04:34
I have been having problems with this site loading slow also.

C4IGrant
07-07-08, 08:12
Forum is very fast for us as well. Last time I checked the load on the servers, the forum is only using about 10-15% of their capability.

Thank you for your input, but you are one of the few people to ever have an issue.

C4

jh1
07-07-08, 09:17
I got a dell with yahoo/att high speed (not the fastest that att offers) and it is pretty fast,no problems here although the faster the better.

orkan
07-07-08, 09:53
Yep, no problems here either.

This isn't one of those computer-dork type "lags" where it's taking 17 milliseconds for the page to load instead of 10, is it?

Hardly. One of those things where its taking 10-30 seconds to load instead of 1 second. Once the page actually starts loading, it takes no time at all, but getting the next page to start is the issue.

How many of you are in South Dakota?

@ Thekatar - You'll want to take advantage of what I have to say, rather than just sluff me off like that. A lot of companies pay my company a lot of money for nothing more than a conversation with me. However, if you don't care that I have a problem viewing your site, then I guess I'll just stay away from it.

hatt
07-07-08, 10:17
I think the site was down one time I tried to get on, but that is common at some point in time for every site including Amazon.com. Otherwise, no problems and the pages load quickly.

Tom_Jones
07-07-08, 12:13
I routinely get transfer times (from request to all content downloaded) between 600ms and 800ms. Occasionally I see times a little over 1 sec.

M4C does not appear to have a server load problem. I suspect you are seeing a network issue somewhere between South Dakota and the Lunarpages (M4C's apparent hosting provider) data center in southern California.

jh1
07-07-08, 12:30
Hardly. One of those things where its taking 10-30 seconds to load instead of 1 second. Once the page actually starts loading, it takes no time at all, but getting the next page to start is the issue.

@ Thekatar - You'll want to take advantage of what I have to say, rather than just sluff me off like that. A lot of companies pay my company a lot of money for nothing more than a conversation with me. However, if you don't care that I have a problem viewing your site, then I guess I'll just stay away from it.

I'm all for making it better.

Tungsten
07-07-08, 12:36
Always fast here. This guy's just trolling for business or trying to make a name for himself. :rolleyes:

orkan
07-07-08, 12:38
I routinely get transfer times (from request to all content downloaded) between 600ms and 800ms. Occasionally I see times a little over 1 sec.

M4C does not appear to have a server load problem. I suspect you are seeing a network issue somewhere between South Dakota and the Lunarpages (M4C's apparent hosting provider) data center in southern California.

Was my initial thought. However, ping times are fine, and trace's don't show anything suspect. Trace's throughout the day/night havn't changed, so the routing seems to be the same no matter what. Kinda rules out routing issues.

Seems more like a server load problem... but I have no way to troubleshoot that.

Tom_Jones
07-07-08, 12:44
Was my initial thought. However, ping times are fine, and trace's don't show anything suspect. Trace's throughout the day/night havn't changed, so the routing seems to be the same no matter what. Kinda rules out routing issues.

Seems more like a server load problem... but I have no way to troubleshoot that.

Could you PM me the output from a traceroute and a ping?

I'm not affiliated with M4C other than as a member, I'm just curious.

orkan
07-07-08, 12:45
Oh... and I've already made a name for myself. Just noticed a problem and offered to help... FOR FREE.

... sorry... im shitty at this "troll" thing. I'll remember to add some SPAM next time.

PM coming your way tom jones.

C4IGrant
07-07-08, 12:49

I think we are always interested in making the forum as fast as possible and money is of little issue. It appears however that, the slowness is related more on your end than on anyone else's.

C4

orkan
07-07-08, 12:53
So I guess if I'm the only one having a problem, then no big deal huh?

Wow.

Look...
Maybe its my computer, maybe its not.
Maybe its my ISP... maybe its not.
Maybe its routing to the whole state of south dakota.

As a tech, I for one, would like to know. I would have thought that you guys would also like to know. Maybe I was wrong.

C4IGrant
07-07-08, 12:57
So I guess if I'm the only one having a problem, then no big deal huh?

Wow.

Look...
Maybe its my computer, maybe its not.
Maybe its my ISP... maybe its not.
Maybe its routing to the whole state of south dakota.

As a tech, I for one, would like to know. I would have thought that you guys would also like to know. Maybe I was wrong.

Yes, so far you are it.

We would like to know as well why it is slow on your end. At this time though, we do not have the man power to trouble shoot slow load speeds per member (sorry).

I am also not sure why or how you would compare M4C to TOS simply because no one else is seeing your same issue.

P.S., nice edit out of the BARFCOM comment, but I caught it.

C4

rubberneck
07-07-08, 12:59
I don't understand some of the hostility in this thread. It's not like the poster insulted anyone here. Just because I have no issues loading doesn't mean that there aren't others out there that don't visit this page because they do.

C4IGrant
07-07-08, 13:02
I don't understand some of the hostility in this thread. It's not like the poster insulted anyone here. Just because I have no issues loading doesn't mean that there aren't others out there that don't visit this page because they do.

I actually didn't see any hostility in this thread. The Orig. poster has slow load times. Other people chimed in that they did not. Not sure what the big deal is.

C4

rubberneck
07-07-08, 13:09
I actually didn't see any hostility in this thread. The Orig. poster has slow load times. Other people chimed in that they did not. Not sure what the big deal is.

C4

A poster (with a grand total of 4 whopping posts) called him a troll, while others seemed rather abruptly dismissive.

One of the reasons why I no longer use Brownell's website is their long load times. I called them and they said it was on my end and since I am not an expert I was willing to accept until I read a thread on another board where there were dozens of posts from people saying the same thing. I wonder how many people might have a problem and have given up trying to post here. It doesn't surprise me that the regulars don't have an issue as they probably wouldn't be regulars if they did.

The guy offered to help gratis. That offer has been dismissed out of hand by at least two mods. I understand that you don't have the time to research a problem with a poster but have you stopped to consider there might be others out there that have the same issue?

C4IGrant
07-07-08, 13:21
A poster (with a grand total of 4 whopping posts) called him a troll, while others seemed rather abruptly dismissive.

One of the reasons why I no longer use Brownell's website is their long load times. I called them and they said it was on my end and since I am not an expert I was willing to accept until I read a thread on another board where there were dozens of posts from people saying the same thing. I wonder how many people might have a problem and have given up trying to post here. It doesn't surprise me that the regulars don't have an issue as they probably wouldn't be regulars if they did.

The guy offered to help gratis. That offer has been dismissed out of hand by at least two mods. I understand that you don't have the time to research a problem with a poster but have you stopped to consider there might be others out there that have the same issue?

Ok, gotcha. A new member thinks the guy is trolling for business. Not the end of the world and if I was the orig. poster, would just ignore the comment.

We would love to hear from a bunch of members that were having issues. To date, there are not many.

C4

orkan
07-07-08, 13:30
Well... to hell with it. I've offered to help, the mods seem to have no interest, so I'll forget about this site.

Meanwhile, you can be assured that people other than myself are having problems, but you won't hear about it. Mainly because people will assume it is their stuff and just click to another site. So continue thinking you don't have a problem. Fine with me. I've been designing high level networks/servers on an enterprise level since 1995... but you are probably right... I'm sure its just my computer. :rolleyes:

... and forgive me for editing my own post and removing the reference to barfcom. I thought it out of line so I took it upon myself to remove it.

It is quite obvious that people like me have absolutely no business being on this site. The attitude of people here is astonishing to me... and I'll go ahead and leave the reference to barfcom in this time. The same elitist crap I hoped to escape there, seems to be alive and well here.

Since I'm not a complete troll, I'll leave my offer to help you with your problem open. You never know... maybe somebody will wake up. Otherwise, just keep patting yourselves on the back. :)

Tungsten
07-07-08, 13:40
Grant,

Apologies if my new member status throws things. I've lurked here for about a year now and only recently had any reason to register to post. I enjoy the fact that M4C has a low signal to noise ratio, as evidenced by the number of users with low post counts but valuable posts to their names. ;)

My stance that he's trolling for business stems from the fact that as the founder and admin of two moderately sized forums with a more localized membership and content base, I've had people (like this orkan guy) sign up, comment on the "slow performance" of my forums and then offer their services. It's sort of like the door to door salesman who interrupts your dinner, tries to sell you new siding or gutters for your house and then claims that all of your neighbors had already committed to buy and had referred him to you because they thought you could use his services too.

Sadly sometimes these guys sign up also hoping that by "helping you" that they will gain access to your vBulletin admincp and be able to really dick things up and then hold you over the barrel for ransom.

So yeah, his posts remind me a lot of some personal experiences I've had dealing with similar tactics. For what it's worth, I'm on a connection fed by two 10mb fiber Metro Ethernet connections to BellSouth and AT&T, and this forum is lightning fast for me and always has been. Furthermore, it's just as fast when I am surfing from my Comcast cable Internet connection at home.

I don't think you've got anything to worry about. But that and $4.20 may get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. ;)

Best regards,
--Tungsten

Tungsten
07-07-08, 13:41

Please see my previous post about why these "gratis" offers are sometimes not what they seem.

orkan
07-07-08, 13:48
Now you are starting to piss me off.

I come in here with a hand extended, offering help. Not only is the offer refused, but I'm labeled a spammer? W...T...F?

I am a professional you jerkwad. I've worked at levels in tech you can't fathom for companies who's wealth is measured in the TRILLIONS. ... and you sit here and call me a troll and accuse me of trying to gain access to the admin panel?

Here is my middle finger. Study it well.

If I wanted to screw up this forum... I wouldnt need admin rights to do it. Savvy?

Refuse my help... fine. Don't you dare lump me in with some script kiddies like this is some "pinky and the brain" episode.

Gig-E linked into 2 backbones... and the internet is fast for you? ... well NO SHIT!???!?!?! You don't say!?!??!

C4IGrant
07-07-08, 13:52
Well... to hell with it. I've offered to help, the mods seem to have no interest, so I'll forget about this site.

Meanwhile, you can be assured that people other than myself are having problems, but you won't hear about it. Mainly because people will assume it is their stuff and just click to another site. So continue thinking you don't have a problem. Fine with me. I've been designing high level networks/servers on an enterprise level since 1995... but you are probably right... I'm sure its just my computer. :rolleyes:

... and forgive me for editing my own post and removing the reference to barfcom. I thought it out of line so I took it upon myself to remove it.

It is quite obvious that people like me have absolutely no business being on this site. The attitude of people here is astonishing to me... and I'll go ahead and leave the reference to barfcom in this time. The same elitist crap I hoped to escape there, seems to be alive and well here.

Since I'm not a complete troll, I'll leave my offer to help you with your problem open. You never know... maybe somebody will wake up. Otherwise, just keep patting yourselves on the back. :)

Being an Ex-IT guy myself, I have a clue or two about what I am talking about. ;) I do not think it is "your computer" in the least and fully understand that you are having loading issues. To date though, we have not have had a single other person state that they are having to wait 30-40 seconds for a page to load. You ARE the only one, but to check though, I have put up a thread here to see if anyone else is seeing what you are. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=188282#post188282

You say that you have received "Elitist crap" from this forum. Here is the defintion of "elitist:"

The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

I have not seen this. I will tell you though that M4C is MUCH different than TOS. The majority of members on here are the real deal shooters. This is NOT a hobbyist forum (FYI). That doesn't mean that average Joe shooters cannot hang out here, but just understand that you will receive BLUNT and honest answers to what you say on here. If your skin is not thick enough to handle that then you will not like it on here (as there is no hand holding).

Your concern with the forums load times is noted and if we feel that it is a wide ranging problem, we may just take you up on your offer.

C4

Tungsten
07-07-08, 13:53
I am a professional you jerkwad. I've worked at levels in tech you can't fathom for companies who's wealth is measured in the TRILLIONS. ... and you sit here and call me a troll and accuse me of trying to gain access to the admin panel?

From where I'm sitting, you appear to be anything but professional. I hope that you are able to resolve the problems with your Internet connection and that you're able to enjoy the same fast browsing experience on this forum that many (all?) of the rest of us are.

Good luck.

C4IGrant
07-07-08, 13:55
Grant,

Apologies if my new member status throws things. I've lurked here for about a year now and only recently had any reason to register to post. I enjoy the fact that M4C has a low signal to noise ratio, as evidenced by the number of users with low post counts but valuable posts to their names. ;)

My stance that he's trolling for business stems from the fact that as the founder and admin of two moderately sized forums with a more localized membership and content base, I've had people (like this orkan guy) sign up, comment on the "slow performance" of my forums and then offer their services. It's sort of like the door to door salesman who interrupts your dinner, tries to sell you new siding or gutters for your house and then claims that all of your neighbors had already committed to buy and had referred him to you because they thought you could use his services too.

Sadly sometimes these guys sign up also hoping that by "helping you" that they will gain access to your vBulletin admincp and be able to really dick things up and then hold you over the barrel for ransom.

So yeah, his posts remind me a lot of some personal experiences I've had dealing with similar tactics. For what it's worth, I'm on a connection fed by two 10mb fiber Metro Ethernet connections to BellSouth and AT&T, and this forum is lightning fast for me and always has been. Furthermore, it's just as fast when I am surfing from my Comcast cable Internet connection at home.

I don't think you've got anything to worry about. But that and $4.20 may get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. ;)

Best regards,
--Tungsten

Thank you for your input. I was never going to give anyone the "keys" to the palace. Being an ex-Spook, I trust no one. ;)

C4

Tungsten
07-07-08, 13:59
Thank you for your input. I was never going to give anyone the "keys" to the palace. Being an ex-Spook, I trust no one. ;)

C4

Understood. Sorry if I've complicated the thread by rebutting the guy. :)

orkan
07-07-08, 14:00
... or if you don't want my help... I could just stuff it down your throats. :)

Seems that lunarpages hosting isnt a fan of vbulletin.
http://www.lunarforums.com/lunarpages_webhosting_help/vbulletin-t39776.0.html

Secondly... after running some tests to lunarpages forums... I see that the route traveled to THEIR forums mainly runs across AT&T backbone, while my route to m4c forums mainly runs accros Lvl3, with a short stay on Alternet.

Anybody that has dealt with high level connections much, knows that Lvl3 can be real douchebags when it comes to routing tables as well as low level packet filtering/shaping.

... or it could be lunarpages rack/racks in said datacenter in LA... is having issues with backhaul to said trunks?

... oh, and I'll say it again. Listen closely this time. If I'm having this problem... then SO ARE A LOT OF OTHERS. You just don't know it because they aren't saying anything. ...and why would they, as they probably aren't qualified to define the source of the issue.

I am.

C4IGrant
07-07-08, 14:00
From where I'm sitting, you appear to be anything but professional. I hope that you are able to resolve the problems with your Internet connection and that you're able to enjoy the same fast browsing experience on this forum that many (all?) of the rest of us are.

Good luck.

His attitude is a bit rough and does not take differing view points well. Having been an IT Manager for a couple years (and had programmers and such work for me) I know how fragile they can be (have zero people skills and take everything as a personal attack). They tend to be introverts and is why they are in the profession they are in (computers don't talk much). ;)

I am not saying that any of this applies to the orig. posters, but am just saying.....

C4

C4IGrant
07-07-08, 14:03
... or if you don't want my help... I could just stuff it down your throats. :)

Seems that lunarpages hosting isnt a fan of vbulletin.
http://www.lunarforums.com/lunarpages_webhosting_help/vbulletin-t39776.0.html

Secondly... after running some tests to lunarpages forums... I see that the route traveled to THEIR forums mainly runs across AT&T backbone, while my route to m4c forums mainly runs accros Lvl3, with a short stay on Alternet.

Anybody that has dealt with high level connections much, knows that Lvl3 can be real douchebags when it comes to routing tables as well as low level packet filtering/shaping.

... or it could be lunarpages rack/racks in said datacenter in LA... is having issues with backhaul to said trunks?

The lunar page/VB is a known thing, but to date have not seen any serious issues.

The issue seems to be more or less on your side with the path taken (which of course has nothing to do with you).

C4

STAFF
07-07-08, 14:05
Ok, enough fun for one day. The POSSIBLE issue will be looked at.