PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Cross between vintage, new, and prototype AR-15

ClassIIIGunsmith
02-24-15, 20:37
So my 18 year old son got this crazy idea because he's way more gun nuts than me. He got this idea from shooting a M1C Garande with the off-set scope. He mounted a scope on the side of the gun using angle mounts so he can run regular Irons and a scope at the same time. He says its not complete, partly because the lower you see in the picture is my stag arms. He says he going to add a tear drop forward assist and give it a SP1 Carbine lower style using a Nodak Spud Lower but with an aluminium butt stock. Tell me what you think because we are going to shoot his Frankien-gun soon and I'll post the results and a video of it.
Here's some pictures

opngrnd
02-24-15, 21:22
It seems neat. If it works, and he likes it, more power to him.

militarymoron
02-24-15, 21:54
Scope doesn't look positioned to get a natural/comfortable/consistent cheek weld. The bottom of the cheek bone should be resting on the comb of the stock, not below/beside it.

sevenhelmet
02-24-15, 22:30
I've never seen an offset scope mounted that way before. It seems like something which would be suitable only for a very specialized application, like shooting from an unusual position or with unusual equipment. I'm skeptical, but good luck with the build!

KUSA
02-24-15, 22:35
I would mount the scope correctly and have the irons offset.

crazymjb
02-24-15, 23:26
Interesting idea... but ditch it and move on. The M1 scope was offset to facilitate loading the enbloc clips. It wasnt ideal it was neccessary. This is pointless as well as adds potential zeroing issues. Unless he keeps a constant hold hes going to need different dope for different ranges as far as windage is concerned.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Dionysusigma
02-25-15, 02:38
Personally, I would reverse the scope mounts to the right side of the rifle - provided it doesn't impede ejection - and use the scope by "rolling" the rifle counterclockwise along the bore axis, maintaining a consistent cheek weld. To me, this would seem to answer the issue of a user who occasionally needs magnification, has a rifle with a permanent FSB, but absolutely cannot stand the 6 o'clock "sight shadow" a conventionally-mounted scope picks up. It would also allow easier manipulation of a standard charging handle, without the ocular lens getting in the way.

Just add a decent rear sight (possibly non-folding) and it'd be complete. I like it!

Benito
02-25-15, 03:50
It's definitely ...... unorthodox.
It's like your irons are your primary, and the scope is your backup.

immanuelrx
02-25-15, 11:26
I would mount the scope correctly and have the irons offset.

I agree with this if I were to go with this setup, but vintage AR15 parts aren't my thing in the first place.

Iraqgunz
02-25-15, 11:43
As I recall the M1 Garand had to have the scope mounted in such a way. The AR15 does not. This build really makes no sense other than to say its "special".

ClassIIIGunsmith
02-25-15, 16:16
I find it interesting that y'all are either wishing the best of luck and or are wondering why my boy is doing this. Here's what I understand of what he's trying to do. 1st he's wants to use a Daniels Defense A1.5 rear sight. Next from what he said is that he wants to use the scope for ranges of 100 yards to 600 yards and irons are for close range engagements. Next he said that he doesn't like the scope too high up on the gun and he hates 6 o' clock iron shadow. Ultimately it will either work and or fail. Hopefully we'll be able to test it this weekend if Georgia weather allows (keeping fingers crossed). I will post the final results of this test after we shoot it.

TMS951
02-25-15, 16:21
I'd echo what most others said about, being to far back and in the way when using the irons and that he would better off with off set irons.

But he's 18, imo experience is the best teacher. I have a feeling the build will be short lived once he shoots it. I do fear him getting the scope square in the nose when he tries to use the irons. Some dry fire may make sense to see if it is going to hit him under recoil.

Ultimately I think it's great you are letting your 18yo play around with this stuff and experiment and that you enable him on this. let us know how it goes.

sevenhelmet
02-25-15, 17:16
Offsetting the scope to the right would eliminate the problem of being inadvertently struck in the nose while shooting with the irons. Replacing the FSB with a low-profile gas block and center-mounting the scope is a better solution IMO. Nothing at all against your boy, I give him credit for thinking outside the box. I'm just not sure he'll be as happy with the results as he might think.

ClassIIIGunsmith
03-03-15, 21:48
http://youtu.be/RJ0fI-KfQ10
heres the link to the test footage my boy took.
he had no issues but he does want to put a smaller scope on it so its not as bulky.