PDA

View Full Version : M&P mag

Robb Jensen
07-06-08, 20:57
This is for those that say M&P mags don't do weird things when dropped with rounds till in them. This was at todays match in Fredericksburg VA.
It's my teammates M&P9 mag after he dropped it, this is what it looked like when he picked it up after shooting. He shot Production with his M&P9. I shot Open minor with my not yet USPSA approved M&P9L and it did it twice today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/MPmagroundsfubared.jpg

ToddG
07-06-08, 23:03
Yup ... not at all uncommon for just about any pistol magazine when it's partially loaded and allowed to drop on the floorplate. The loaded cartridges have more than enough momentum to compress the spring, and then if the top round moves out of alignment it can flip around in all sorts of ways.

I've seen it happen plenty of times with Beretta and SIG mags as well as with my M&P mags.

That's why a magazine, once dropped, should be considered inoperative until you've had a chance to shuck all the rounds out and then load the mag from scratch.

Robb Jensen
07-07-08, 05:59
I've seen on with SIG, Beretta and CZ (but to a much lesser extent) but never with Glock. I think it has something to do with mag spring strength.

vaspence
07-07-08, 08:13
I saw that happen to a shooter at the most recent Black Creek IDPA match. If I recall correct the gun fired a few rounds then the gun stopped. After the stage was over we looked at the mag and it was identical to the picture shown. It is the only thing keeping me from buying a M&P .45 right now.

bullitt5172
07-07-08, 20:27
I've seen on with SIG, Beretta and CZ (but to a much lesser extent) but never with Glock. I think it has something to do with mag spring strength.

I've had it happen to partially loaded Glock mags. The last pistol class I took it happened to me about three times. I had never seen it before, but I normally don't drop loaded mags. My buddy shooting an XD had the same issue. Both 9mm's with full cap mags.