PDA

View Full Version : OEM and Aftermarket Threaded Glock Barrels

sidewaysil80
02-26-15, 00:46
I am getting ready to purchase a Glock 21 threaded barrel and had a quick question regarding fitment. Are all of the OEM and aftermarket barrels a drop in part? Is there a proper way to fit or install it?

Is there any reason aside from thread preference/rifling to opt for an OEM barrel over say an offering from Gemtech or Silencerco? Since all of these barrels have been out for awhile I wasn't sure if any stood out in terms of accuracy, fitment, or durability.

Thanks!

firefighter37
02-26-15, 06:05
I can't help you with aftermarket barrels, but all of my Glocks have used the factory threaded barrels, and I own Glocks that came threaded from the factory with suppressor sights, and they all have worked flawlessly. I have moved the barrels around on my various guns and I have had no problems.

PatrioticDisorder
02-26-15, 07:49
I am getting ready to purchase a Glock 21 threaded barrel and had a quick question regarding fitment. Are all of the OEM and aftermarket barrels a drop in part? Is there a proper way to fit or install it?

Is there any reason aside from thread preference/rifling to opt for an OEM barrel over say an offering from Gemtech or Silencerco? Since all of these barrels have been out for awhile I wasn't sure if any stood out in terms of accuracy, fitment, or durability.

Thanks!

Silencerco barrels have not been out very long at all, couple of months tops.

sidewaysil80
02-26-15, 08:52
I can't help you with aftermarket barrels, but all of my Glocks have used the factory threaded barrels, and I own Glocks that came threaded from the factory with suppressor sights, and they all have worked flawlessly. I have moved the barrels around on my various guns and I have had no problems.
Do you have to fit them or are they pretty much a drop in affair? Also, did you notice any accuracy or feeding issues AFTER switching to the Glock barrels?

Silencerco barrels have not been out very long at all, couple of months tops.
Thank you for correcting that, I assumed they had been out as long as the other guys.

PatrioticDisorder
02-26-15, 09:56
Do you have to fit them or are they pretty much a drop in affair? Also, did you notice any accuracy or feeding issues AFTER switching to the Glock barrels?

Thank you for correcting that, I assumed they had been out as long as the other guys.

Big thing for me against an OEM barrel is the euro left handed thread pitch although some would argue its superior to the American thread pitch (Silencerco barrels).

t15
02-26-15, 10:03
The manufacture will specify if it's a fitted or drop in barrel. I think KKM and Jarvis make some of the best for the platform. If you can get an OEM threaded barrel and the proper piston for your can, then that's probably the best route. You're going to get more velocity out of a polygonal barrel, but you have to watch for leading if you plan on shooting cast bullets.

sidewaysil80
02-26-15, 11:30
The manufacture will specify if it's a fitted or drop in barrel. I think KKM and Jarvis make some of the best for the platform. If you can get an OEM threaded barrel and the proper piston for your can, then that's probably the best route. You're going to get more velocity out of a polygonal barrel, but you have to watch for leading if you plan on shooting cast bullets.

I use FMJ or plated bullets so leading is a non issue. Also, I was leaning towards the AAC TiRant which is offered to match the OEM Glock thread pattern. Allegedly the Glock threaded barrels were meant for Gen 3 pistols and I wasn't sure if it would work properly in a Gen 4. Assuming no documents issues exist and it won't hurt reliability, I think I may take your advice and go with the OEM Glock barrel.

t15
02-26-15, 17:58
All generations of Glock's can interchange barrels assuming they are the same model. I have 2 stainless KKM barrels, both drop ins with no issues. You will definitely get more accuracy out of a stainless aftermarket, just something to think about.

Also I am a big Silencerco fan :eek:

http://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/handgun/products/osprey-pistons