PDA

View Full Version : Spock (Leonard Nimoy) is gone......

Singlestack Wonder
02-27-15, 11:36
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/02/27/leonard-nimoy-spock-star-trek-dead-at-83/

BBossman
02-27-15, 11:58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtQUePN5y40

chuckman
02-27-15, 12:12
"He's dead, Jim."

CrazyFingers
02-27-15, 12:19
At 83, it was coming. Still a bummer.

glocktogo
02-27-15, 12:49
Live long and prosper... :(

Doc Safari
02-27-15, 14:24
http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/leonard-nimoy-%e2%80%98star-trek%e2%80%99s%e2%80%99-spock-dies-at-83/ar-BBi2SNv

Leonard Nimoy, ‘Star Trek’s’ Spock, Dies at 83

Sam
02-27-15, 14:34
Live Long and Prosper Mr. Spock/Leonard Nimoy ! This was his last public tweet: A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.

Another piece of my childhood and youth is gone.

Doc Safari
02-27-15, 14:39
I was watching an old rerun of The High Chaparral the other day. I got online and researched the cast members. I guess I'm not surprised at how many of them are dead.

Star Trek's Scotty and Dr. McCoy have been dead for some time.

Half the Beatles are dead.

It seems like pretty soon everything we enjoyed as youngsters will be gone.

Sam
02-27-15, 14:46
Half the Beatles are dead.

Two third of the Bee Gees are gone.

docsherm
02-27-15, 15:02
He was always my favorite on Star Trek.

RIP

http://uploads.neatorama.com/images/posts/876/66/66876/1384222868-0.jpg

Doc Safari
02-27-15, 15:11
I always loved the classic Star Trek the best. They never ever ever EVER found a better cast than Kirk, McCoy, Spock, and Scotty. Never will.

When I was a kid I used to practice raising one eyebrow like Mr. Spock. It's a regular part of my facial expressions. That's about the most lasting contribution any TV or movie character has made in my life.

A lot of people don't know it, but the famous "live long and prosper" hand sign originated with Mr. Nimoy's Jewish religion. The hand sign represents the Hebrew letter Shin that priests in his synagogue used to bless people.

Now you know. ;)

Really, so much of the Spock character was originated by Nimoy that I don't think anyone else could have played the part. Spock would have been a much different character without the Vulcan neck pinch, live long and prosper hand sign, raising one eyebrow, etc.

Leonard Nimoy definitely made the character of Spock more......wait for it.....fascinating.

I think Nimoy's and Mr. Spock's lasting legacy is that he/they taught legions of nerds that it was okay to be different and be successful anyway.

Who knows how life in America was improved in the 1960's and beyond with just that concept.

3 AE
02-27-15, 17:53
I remember us kids in elementary school trying out the "Vulcan Nerve Pinch" on each other during recess and even in class. Quite a few detention slips issued on that one! "Live long and prosper Science Officer Spock."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgMjV3Yse3U :cool:

SteyrAUG
02-28-15, 00:33
Live Long and Prosper Mr. Spock/Leonard Nimoy ! This was his last public tweet: A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.

Another piece of my childhood and youth is gone.

Fairly astute observation by the logical one. Gonna try and remember that one.

And yeah, right there with you on the other observation.

Moose-Knuckle
02-28-15, 00:58
One of the greats for sure, RIP.

MBtech
02-28-15, 01:31
Aw damn, hate to hear this. A lot of the greats are passing these days. He lived a good long life though, and a lot of people enjoyed what he did. RIP Spock.

Moose-Knuckle
02-28-15, 05:26
Thinking about him today I was reminded of my favorite TV show of his, the docu-series In Search Of . . .

Also I looked him up on IMDB, something I do pretty frequently of actors/directors and discovered that he diredted Three Men and a Baby, classic 80's comedy with a stellar cast. I never knew he directed that lol.

MBtech
02-28-15, 05:36
Thinking about him today I was reminded of my favorite TV show of his, the docu-series In Search Of . . .

Also I looked him up on IMDB, something I do pretty frequently of actors/directors and discovered that he diredted Three Men and a Baby, classic 80's comedy with a stellar cast. I never knew he directed that lol.

Did not know that, I remembered that movie frequently when I was changing diapers and getting peed on lol.

ralph
02-28-15, 08:54
Saw him on a old rerun of Perry Mason (1963) playing the part of a jealous boyfriend, years before Star Trek.. It's fun seeing what bit parts some of these people did before they got famous..

SteyrAUG
02-28-15, 13:59

Man, my Dad and I watched "In Search of..." every week.

Sam
02-28-15, 14:11
My buddy Tim Burke posted this on Facebook:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/10312533_10204488280866228_4169915239701696898_n.jpg

bp7178
02-28-15, 16:00
The amazing part about Leonard Nimoy was that you never heard a bad story about the guy. Never heard about the guy yelling at a waiter, or treating a lighting guy like a jerk on set.

In fact, I'm sure if there was a story about Nimoy getting into it with a waiter, the story would have been how much of a dick the waiter was.

decodeddiesel
02-28-15, 16:36
I still remember watching reruns of Star Trek on the old black and white TV my parents had when I was young, Mr. Spock was always my favorite character. The Wrath of Khan is the best Star Trek movie ever made, and I seriously doubt it will ever be topped by the franchise. I remember when we finally got a color TV in the 80s and seeing Star Trek on it was so unbelievable. Now seeing the remastered TOS on Netflix really shows how timeless the show is. Nimoy was such a huge part of that.

All through my childhood and my adulthood I can honestly say that anything I ever saw or heard on TV or the internet, if Nimoy was in it, I knew I was going to enjoy it more. I remember going to the Boston Science Museum as a child, and watching an early Imax video there. Nimoy narrated it, and it was awesome.

He seemed like a good, kind man from everything I have read of him.

HKGuns
02-28-15, 16:39
RIP Mr. Spock.

Moose-Knuckle
02-28-15, 23:24
Saw him on a old rerun of Perry Mason (1963) playing the part of a jealous boyfriend, years before Star Trek.. It's fun seeing what bit parts some of these people did before they got famous..

William Shatner played small parts in everything from Gunsmoke to The Man from U.N.C.L.E.. My favorite was an episode he did on the Twilight Zone entitled "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" that first aired in 1963 about a guy with a window seat on a commercial airliner that sees a gremlin on the wing trying to cause the plane to crash and everyone thinks he's crazy. Classic . . .

SteyrAUG
03-01-15, 00:57
William Shatner played small parts in everything from Gunsmoke to The Man from U.N.C.L.E.. My favorite was an episode he did on the Twilight Zone entitled "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" that first aired in 1963 about a guy with a window seat on a commercial airliner that sees a gremlin on the wing trying to cause the plane to crash and everyone thinks he's crazy. Classic . . .

Nimoy get's cool points for playing Packy in the "Takeover" episode of "The Untouchables" (1962).

He also had a Twilight Zone episode "A Quality of Mercy" (1961) as well as appearances on Dragnet, Sea Hunt, Bonanza, Rawhide, The Outer Limits, Man from U.N.C.L.E., Combat!, Daniel Boone, Get Smart, Gunsmoke, Mission Impossible, Night Gallery and even T.J. Hooker. Both Nimoy and Shatner were pretty prolific when it came to character roles.

Moose-Knuckle
03-01-15, 01:46
Nimoy get's cool points for playing Packy in the "Takeover" episode of "The Untouchables" (1962).

He also had a Twilight Zone episode "A Quality of Mercy" (1961) as well as appearances on Dragnet, Sea Hunt, Bonanza, Rawhide, The Outer Limits, Man from U.N.C.L.E., Combat!, Daniel Boone, Get Smart, Gunsmoke, Mission Impossible, Night Gallery and even T.J. Hooker. Both Nimoy and Shatner were pretty prolific when it came to character roles.

I grew up watching most of those shows in syndication, well T.J. Hooker was on. Good stuff for sure.

Moose-Knuckle
03-01-15, 06:54
Man, my Dad and I watched "In Search of..." every week.

Just found this, I'll have to pick this up one day.

http://www.amazon.com/Search-Complete-Episodes-Leonard-Nimoy/dp/B008X8VM1W

SteyrAUG
03-01-15, 17:28
Just found this, I'll have to pick this up one day.

http://www.amazon.com/Search-Complete-Episodes-Leonard-Nimoy/dp/B008X8VM1W

Well there goes another $135. Actually not bad for a 21 disc set.

ralph
03-01-15, 20:48

I SAW THAT! about a year ago, there's a channel (metv) that shows old shows like that Twilite Zone, Alfred Hitchcock, Thriller, with Boris Karloff, I remember that episode.. It was great!

3 AE
03-05-15, 11:13
Live long and prosper Canada. Got a good chuckle reading this one from our neighbors to the North. :laugh:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102479916?__source=xfinity|mod&par=xfinity

Well done Canadians, well done!

Doc Safari
03-05-15, 11:18

Shatner did an episode of The Virginian where he shows up as something like the long-lost friend of one of the main characters. It's been some time since I saw that episode, but I did some research online and that was probably the last thing Shatner did before Star Trek. I say it's interesting because if you see the episode Shatner looks about as much like Capt. Kirk as he could on an unrelated show--hairdo and all.

jpmuscle
03-05-15, 11:27
Live long and prosper Canada. Got a good chuckle reading this one from our neighbors to the North. [emoji23]

Haha, that's the best thing I've ever seen from Canada.

Doc Safari
03-05-15, 11:47
I just remembered an interesting story I heard some years ago. I may have read it in "The Making of Star Trek" or some other publication.

Supposedly, there was a fight scene in an early Star Trek episode where Mr. Spock was supposed to hit an evil Kirk doppelganger over the head. Nimoy thought that level of violence was inappropriate to his character, and when the time came to film the scene he told Shatner to go along with him on something different. At the point where Spock was supposed to hit the evil Kirk, he reached over and did the Vulcan neck pinch instead. Shatner compliantly crumpled to the ground. The director and Roddenberry were so impressed that they made it a part of Spock's character.

SteyrAUG
03-05-15, 22:56
Live long and prosper Canada. Got a good chuckle reading this one from our neighbors to the North. :laugh:

Best thing I've seen since Doug and Bob McKenzie.