PDA

View Full Version : What rear stock are you running on your Mcrees?

masan
02-27-15, 12:24
Like the title says, what rear stock are you running on your Mcrees and why?

Feel free to post pics, I am trying to decide if I want to use a Magpul PRS that I have sitting around or try something else.

SeriousStudent
02-27-15, 21:02
I am debating either the UBR I have sitting in the gun room, or ordering a PRS.

The PRS is slowly gaining ground, as bonus time approaches.

anatolian B
02-27-15, 22:09
I'm running the ACS-L. I like the height and the storage compartment for the spare battery to my PST.

Quick Stick
03-01-15, 06:31
Mcree folding rear. Fully adj. rear and does everything I need it to. They make excellent stuff.

masan
03-01-15, 09:22
I really debated whether to buy the Mcrees rear but wanted to try the chassis with my PRS, since it is just gathering dust at the moment. If the rear stock goes on sale I will likely end up buying one, they look like a solid piece.

TheBelly
03-10-15, 14:01
carbine tube and a CTR with a Magpul riser. If you want a light handy little gun, pair it with the shorter forend and a shorter-ish barrel, and you've got quite the little hunting gun.

masan
03-10-15, 15:26
I may have to go with something other than the PRS. The stock wants to rotate on the receiver extension, which is nice for adjusting the angle of the butt plate for different shooting positions but does not provide a stable platform.

Because there is no buffer or spring inside the RE would I be compromising the integrity of the stock/RE by using a small self tapping screw to keep the stock from rotating on the RE?

If using a set screw is ok, theoretically I could have multiple holes drilled that I could use to rotate the stock to for different shooting positions.

Dist. Expert 26
03-10-15, 18:13
I'm running the McRee folder. It has every adjustment I need, locks up totally solid and although I haven't tested it yet, I think it'll be much easier to pack the rifle up and down the mountains here.

TheBelly
03-10-15, 19:01
I may have to go with something other than the PRS. The stock wants to rotate on the receiver extension, which is nice for adjusting the angle of the butt plate for different shooting positions but does not provide a stable platform.

Because there is no buffer or spring inside the RE would I be compromising the integrity of the stock/RE by using a small self tapping screw to keep the stock from rotating on the RE?

If using a set screw is ok, theoretically I could have multiple holes drilled that I could use to rotate the stock to for different shooting positions.

i use a castle nut to keep the tube in place.

joedirt199
03-10-15, 19:02
XLR sells their stocks separate and have plenty of adjustment. Also much lighter than the PRS.

TheBelly
03-10-15, 20:29

you could also put a small notch in the folding part of the mcrees and then stake the tube itself into that notch, the same way that you'd stake a castle nut to an end plate on an AR...

masan
03-10-15, 23:25
there is a set screw on the mcrees for the receiver extension

i am talking about the PRS turning on the extension because there is nothing for the PRS to mate up with like there is on an AR lower

TheBelly
03-11-15, 00:03
there is a set screw on the mcrees for the receiver extension

i am talking about the PRS turning on the extension because there is nothing for the PRS to mate up with like there is on an AR lower

yep, just went and looked... super derp on my part.

masan
03-11-15, 08:48
no worries

anyone have any thoughts on running a self tapping screw through the PRS into the RE to keep it from rotating?