PDA

View Full Version : GMX and TSX GR variety performance as well as mk262 SMK/TMK barrier performance.

ryannairnmoore
02-27-15, 13:11
Question regarding 55gr,70gr GMX/TSX and TMK SMK barrier performance.
While doing research between the 55gr 70gr BARRIER GMX TAP (not the super performance load),I noticed on Hornady's website the 70gr is said to meet fbi requirements but the 55gr does not have any such description on the ballistics information page. It seems that the 55gr penetrates deeper, has better cavity depth and terminal performance. I wanted to know if the 55gr GMX BARRIER TAP meets FBI ballistic testing. Basically for performance from 100y out to 350y. Which of these two BARRIER TAP loads would be the better performer?
This is my first post on this site. I have been very heavily involved in researching and enjoying the information in the forums.
-Thank you everyone for building such a great community.

My other question was in regards to the mk262 TIPPED SIERRA MATCHKING (TMK Blackhills load) Will this round still be able to hit a ballistic target inside of a vehicle. To what degree will the SMK and TMK actually perform against barriers. It seems people make it seem like it's not cable at all if there is a barrier in between you and your target. What can I expect from the SMK and TMK when engaging a vehicle with ballistic gel inside various points? (forward into front auto glass, side windows as well as through the paneling on the vehicle.

I really want details as I am going to be going out to my friends property to do some testing with all of the rounds listed in my post. I just want some help from the community here as far as what I am going to be experiencing.
-Thank you- Ryan M

MegademiC
02-27-15, 15:52
My thiughts:
50 gr tsx optimized (black hills load) will be the best all around.
Don't know about the 62 gr optimized.
77gr tsx will perform well. The petals tend to shear off through glass/steel.

Smks frag through glass resulting is very shallow penetration. If I was planning on defending myself through glass, these would rank low on the list. For most other shots, they perform very well. Hard to beat for an HD to long range outdoor use.

To know the true performance, you'll want gel behind the glass. Water jugs will give you an idea and is better than nothing. Looking forward to it!

ryannairnmoore
02-27-15, 18:19
Great, I appreciate the informative response. I am still confused about the ballistic gel performance on Hornady's site. It pretty much said that the 55gr GMX penetrates better compared to the 70gr. Does this mean the 55gr is better all but at long range?

WS6
02-28-15, 00:54
I think the 70gr GMX is going to be a good deal. The GMX bullets are "more durable" than the TSX bullets, and shouldn't shear petals/lose much mass through auto-glass or other harder barriers, while still expanding very well on soft tissue.

MegademiC
02-28-15, 08:53
The 55 grain gmx looks like it didn't expand and that's why it penetrate more. Besed on the gel shots, I'd go with the 70, but the 55 looks good. I think the gmx loads will fall in right under the 50 gr optimized BH tsx. We'll see though.

ryannairnmoore
02-28-15, 09:18
The price of the TSX is just isnt practical for practicing unless xm193 would have the same POI. doesnt the 55gr GMX have the same POI as xm193 or does the length of the copper weight to length ratio make it more on track with 62gr loads?
I really want to know how ineffective mk262 or TMK which is advertised as having better barrier performance then the original mk262. Could you still hit a target behind a vehicle through the front windshield with the TMK and get a hit?

WS6
02-28-15, 10:19
The price of the TSX is just isnt practical for practicing unless xm193 would have the same POI. doesnt the 55gr GMX have the same POI as xm193 or does the length of the copper weight to length ratio make it more on track with 62gr loads?
I really want to know how ineffective mk262 or TMK which is advertised as having better barrier performance then the original mk262. Could you still hit a target behind a vehicle through the front windshield with the TMK and get a hit?

Maybe, maybe not, but you would hit it with a tiny fragment, whatever occurred. It's just a big nosler ballistic tip for all common intents.

ryannairnmoore
02-28-15, 11:18
I also saw that the 70gr GMX only created a perm cavity of 1.5in on plain gel. The 55gr got 5inches of perm cavity. This I don't understand.

WS6
02-28-15, 19:24
I also saw that the 70gr GMX only created a perm cavity of 1.5in on plain gel. The 55gr got 5inches of perm cavity. This I don't understand.

Look at the pictures. It's likely a typo...

MegademiC
03-01-15, 00:21
Maybe, maybe not, but you would hit it with a tiny fragment, whatever occurred. It's just a big nosler ballistic tip for all common intents.

This. It's not about hitting a target, it's about being able to stop a threat on the other side, which means it needs to still be able to penetrate enough tissue to reach and penetrate the vitals.

I don't know how they calculate perm cavity, but the temp cavity is a wounding mechanism for rifle rounds. That said, die tends to make it look better than it is. The 70 showed significant vertical cracking along the wound channel, which I would think is a good thing, but can say for sure. I'd like to hear an experts opinion on that.

ARDeputy
03-01-15, 00:58
I've been looking for a good barrier blind round to use in my patrol rifle so I'm interested in what your testing shows. I think I've settled on the GMX, just not sure which one. What barrel length will you be using?

WS6
03-01-15, 01:07
I've been looking for a good barrier blind round to use in my patrol rifle so I'm interested in what your testing shows. I think I've settled on the GMX, just not sure which one. What barrel length will you be using?

I sent some 55gr TAP LE GMX to a guy to test and he used a 7.5" barrel. Beautiful expansion at impact velocity of mid 2300's.

HD1911
03-01-15, 10:52
You can't really ever go wrong with choosing the heavy-for-caliber projectiles, all other things being equal. Better Ballistic Coefficient, which translates to Improved External Ballistics and Energy down range.... and they almost always penetrate deeper, while starting out with more mass, so if it happens to shed some weight, you're still better off than starting out with a lighter weight projo.

Not saying it's completely wrong to use a lightweight bonded/solid barrier blind load... but just my thoughts. Hits are always better than misses and all that jazz.

5.56 is still a Turd Burglar compared to basically any other Centerfire Rifle round when it comes to Intermediate Barriers.

ryannairnmoore
03-01-15, 11:45
Ok here is where it gets a bit difficult to think about...55gr GMX you get a decent increase in velocity and the 70gr has a bit more weight. so how you do calculate the difference in penetration taking into account the increase speed of the 55gr when impacting compared to the slight increase in weight at a slower velocity with the 70gr. I am speaking of a limit of 350MAX range.
I just went shooting 60miles south of Seattle yesterday with my first ar15 build. It really made me realize why the 5.56 is used over 6.8. I can keep the Iron sights on target no matter how fast I shoot. It is such a reactive and controllable caliber. The 6.8 kicks you off your irons enough to slow down your reaction and the 6.5 isn't enough of a step up to justify the ballistic needs in urban environments, tho it would be useful as a sniper round even tho there are better options in this department. So I feel the 5.56 is the best urban center fire round available given my experience with accuracy and control while shooting my ar15 mil spec clone.

ryannairnmoore
03-01-15, 11:56
You can't really ever go wrong with choosing the heavy-for-caliber projectiles, all other things being equal. Better Ballistic Coefficient, which translates to Improved External Ballistics and Energy down range.... and they almost always penetrate deeper, while starting out with more mass, so if it happens to shed some weight, you're still better off than starting out with a lighter weight projo.

Not saying it's completely wrong to use a lightweight bonded/solid barrier blind load... but just my thoughts. Hits are always better than misses and all that jazz.

5.56 is still a Turd Burglar compared to basically any other Centerfire Rifle round when it comes to Intermediate Barriers.

The all copper loads like the GMX 55gr among others penetrates barriers to a degree that is very effective from my personal tests. The GMXwhen hitting a hard object clips the tip together so it doesn't expand allowing the round to break the barrier and induce yawing once flesh is impacted on the other side of the barrier. So I disagree that it is ineffective against barriers. given the control of muzzle climb it is an amazing rifle. An added plus is that the ammo would still have value if the economy were to even destabilize. all of the special ar calibers and even the 308 would be very hard to come by in such a situation. 5.56 is the way to go for my needs.
for urban use copper solid, gilded and bonded rounds make up for it's barrier performance issues that are only present with the fragmenting rounds that were set as the staple load for the rifle. This might have just been a mistake that is being corrected now that we have seen so many developments in the ar15 systems capability.(excluding mk262 like rounds that are used for extreme range engagements) The rifle we have in this day in age is of no comparison to the older varieties.
I am crossing my fingers that no one brings up the "it was designed to wound" myth in this post. lol

ryannairnmoore
03-01-15, 12:03
I sent some 55gr TAP LE GMX to a guy to test and he used a 7.5" barrel. Beautiful expansion at impact velocity of mid 2300's.

and of course the 55gr GMX is actually an affordable gilded copper round and has the same poi as xm193. Cant go wrong with having practice ammo that has the same POI as the 55 GMX. I hope they don't ban xm193 now that they have caused this 855 panic......ugh, not that its even a good load haha.

ryannairnmoore
03-01-15, 12:08

16inch middy melonite QPQ 1/7 NATO 5.56 4150V radical arms. My own home build. melonite BC as well. 89$ barrel that has great accuracy.

WS6
03-01-15, 21:49
and of course the 55gr GMX is actually an affordable gilded copper round and has the same poi as xm193. Cant go wrong with having practice ammo that has the same POI as the 55 GMX. I hope they don't ban xm193 now that they have caused this 855 panic......ugh, not that its even a good load haha.

Not necessarily. It may follow the same ballistic drop path, but that doesn't mean in the least that it will not have a separate zero from M193.

BufordTJustice
03-02-15, 06:07
Can't say where I got it, but here is a 70gr TAP red box 5.56 NATO GMX expanded from an SBR:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/02/cac9b55648eddd8735ec8ec489e21622.jpg

Ballistic info is on the paper behind. It's flat on one side because it impacted the table the block was resting on.

HD1911
03-04-15, 08:36
The all copper loads like the GMX 55gr among others penetrates barriers to a degree that is very effective from my personal tests. The GMXwhen hitting a hard object clips the tip together so it doesn't expand allowing the round to break the barrier and induce yawing once flesh is impacted on the other side of the barrier. So I disagree that it is ineffective against barriers. given the control of muzzle climb it is an amazing rifle. An added plus is that the ammo would still have value if the economy were to even destabilize. all of the special ar calibers and even the 308 would be very hard to come by in such a situation. 5.56 is the way to go for my needs.
for urban use copper solid, gilded and bonded rounds make up for it's barrier performance issues that are only present with the fragmenting rounds that were set as the staple load for the rifle. This might have just been a mistake that is being corrected now that we have seen so many developments in the ar15 systems capability.(excluding mk262 like rounds that are used for extreme range engagements) The rifle we have in this day in age is of no comparison to the older varieties.
I am crossing my fingers that no one brings up the "it was designed to wound" myth in this post. lol

I never said the 5.56 was "Ineffective" against barriers. Please point out where I said that. However, I did say it was a Turd Burglar compared to basically any other center fire rifle cartridge, when it comes to Interdmediate Barries... that's a True Statement with Factual Evidence.

Also, calling Mk262 "Extreme Range".... hmmm, no further comments.

ryannairnmoore
03-06-15, 01:39
I never said the 5.56 was "Ineffective" against barriers. Please point out where I said that. However, I did say it was a Turd Burglar compared to basically any other center fire rifle cartridge, when it comes to Interdmediate Barries... that's a True Statement with Factual Evidence.

Also, calling Mk262 "Extreme Range".... hmmm, no further comments.

for an ar15 yes it does add more range and accuracy to the ar.
Just stating that the 5.56 is still a good barrier caliber with the bullets we have now days.
just conversion....

ryannairnmoore
03-06-15, 01:52
When I called the company directly they said the 70gr GMX is released late March. I hope it's cheap like the 55gr which keeps going up in price. Why has the price of 55gr GMX been so expensive lately and hard to find? ammo to go has it for 25 for 20 it was 17 last week.

ryannairnmoore
03-07-15, 12:21
so at closer ranges the 55gr has more speed and will penetrate steel better then the 70 at closer ranges because it's going slower. so the 55gr seems to be where it is at (50gr tsx as well) are better then the 70gr bullets at close range. What are your thoughts because you do get a lot more velocity with the 55 gmx and 50tsx. Is this weight more effect for close range urban warfare? Thoughts people. I want real details. This is my favorite website now:)
typing on phone sorry for spelling and grammar

Kowalski
03-07-15, 14:48
DocGKR, a former moderator here, has done extensive testing of the 50gr TSX. Do a search for his posts here and elsewhere on the subject. Lots of good info to be found. For LE or personal defense use out to about 250 yards, he liked the load a lot.

ryannairnmoore
03-08-15, 05:34
DocGKR, a former moderator here, has done extensive testing of the 50gr TSX. Do a search for his posts here and elsewhere on the subject. Lots of good info to be found. For LE or personal defense use out to about 250 yards, he liked the load a lot.

I will look up his posts. I have read articles from him before. So it does seem lighter projectiles have an advantage in urban engagements with the speed increase.

ryannairnmoore
03-08-15, 05:42
why on hornady's site does it say the 70gr meets fbi requirements but not the 55gr at leased i couldnt find where it said that. It looks as if it does meet the requirement. I did read they thought it penetrated to far and that was why? Enlighten me? This has been bothering me for awhile now

ack495
03-08-15, 09:08
I emailed Hornady a few weeks ago and asked what the 55gr GMX minimum expansion velocity is. They replied back that it will expand down to 2000fps. Not sure if this helps anyone.

I want to like this round and it's priced decently but, by all accounts and tests I've seen, it just penetrates a bit too much for me for a self defense round. I'll stick with the fusion msr.

BufordTJustice
03-08-15, 12:20
I emailed Hornady a few weeks ago and asked what the 55gr GMX minimum expansion velocity is. They replied back that it will expand down to 2000fps. Not sure if this helps anyone.

I want to like this round and it's priced decently but, by all accounts and tests I've seen, it just penetrates a bit too much for me for a self defense round. I'll stick with the fusion msr.
That's impressive and makes sense. A harder gilding metal alloy GMX wouldn't have the same expansion threshold as a pure copper TSX.

fz1boxer
03-08-15, 19:13
That expansioN threshold is similar to the black hills 5.56 50 grain tsx load,so maybe this could be their version.

ryannairnmoore
03-09-15, 08:57

But doesn't it drive you nuts you are using a round in .223. Rounds that are not up to 5.56 pressure hit harder but also go further minus a bit of accuracy. why would you use a .223 load over 5.56. I really want your input.

fz1boxer
03-09-15, 09:41
if the round expands to quickly it may decrease penetration,ive seen this in+p pistol rounds and it also depends on bullet construction hence the BH 50 grain tsx built a little tougher for the higher velocities

ack495
03-09-15, 09:55
But doesn't it drive you nuts you are using a round in .223. Rounds that are not up to 5.56 pressure hit harder but also go further minus a bit of accuracy. why would you use a .223 load over 5.56. I really want your input.

Not at all. The fusion/gold dot bullet has been proven to expand down to 1800fps. I'll get plenty enough range for my purposes from my 11.5" and 16" rifles.

I'm only using concerned with self defense, so when you say "hitting harder", I'm assuming your talking about muzzle energy, which again, isn't a concern for me. For hunting purposes, I suppose it would be.

I'll only care about good expansion and penetration in gel testing between 12"-18" across all barriers. The fusion/gold dot rounds fit the bill for me. As do several others, its just I was able to score quantities for a decent price a while back.

ryannairnmoore
03-09-15, 09:57
if the round expands to quickly it may decrease penetration,ive seen this in+p pistol rounds and it also depends on bullet construction hence the BH 50 grain tsx built a little tougher for the higher velocities

I don't think that is the case with this round

ryannairnmoore
03-09-15, 09:58
Not at all. The fusion/gold dot bullet has been proven to expand down to 1800fps. I'll get plenty enough range for my purposes from my 11.5" and 16" rifles.

I'm only using concerned with self defense, so when you say "hitting harder", I'm assuming your talking about muzzle energy, which again, isn't a concern for me. For hunting purposes, I suppose it would be.

I'll only about good expansion and penetration in gel testing between 12"-18" across all barriers. The fusion/gold dot rounds fit the bill for me. As do several others, its just I was able to score quantities for a decent price a while back.

how far out could you hit your target with enough velocity...ect to take the hunt on the first shot with a .223 load over 5.56

ryannairnmoore
03-09-15, 10:00
So I guess the 70gr GMX is coming out in march late. Why can't I find 5.56 70gr TSX loaded to 5.56 pressure anywhere? do they not make it? I don't have reloading equipment yet. Does anyone know who sells the 5.56 70gr TSX?

ack495
03-09-15, 10:02
So I guess the 70gr GMX is coming out in march late. Why can't I find 5.56 70gr TSX loaded to 5.56 pressure anywhere? do they not make it? I don't have reloading equipment yet. Does anyone know who sells the 5.56 70gr TSX?
Try asym precision

fz1boxer
03-09-15, 10:03
silver state armory has 5.56 stamped all over their boxes but i dont think it is loaded to 5.56 velocities pressures

ack495
03-09-15, 10:06
Try asym precision
I was wrong. They list it as .223 round as well. I honestly don't think it's necessary to load this round to any higher pressures. It has a good B.C. for a .223 bullet and is already considered a good longer range hunting round for this caliber.

ryannairnmoore
03-09-15, 10:28
Try asym precision

but thats .223 not 5.56. I only want the 5.56 version

ryannairnmoore
03-09-15, 10:34
Why does hornady's site say the 70gr GMX coming out in march meets FBI testing but it is not listed as saying so for the 55gr GMX TAP? it looks like the 55gr out performs the 70 in testing in all but long range engagements. Thoughts? This has been bothering me for awhile now...

ryannairnmoore
03-09-15, 10:35
I was wrong. They list it as .223 round as well. I honestly don't think it's necessary to load this round to any higher pressures. It has a good B.C. for a .223 bullet and is already considered a good longer range hunting round for this caliber.

Do you know why the 55gr GMX is so short compared to 55gr xm193? it's extremely short when side by side...but on other forums a lot of people say they have similar POI/POA

ack495
03-09-15, 10:40
Do you know why the 55gr GMX is so short compared to 55gr xm193? it's extremely short when side by side...but on other forums a lot of people say they have similar POI/POA
I honestly don't know. Usually these non lead bullets, i. e. the tsx, are longer than their copper/lead bullet counterparts.

I would suggest calling or emailing Hornady with questions. They have been very good about replying to me.

BufordTJustice
03-09-15, 10:41
The Asym is loaded to higher pressures, as indicated by its muzzle velocity being about 100fps faster than the SSA load in a recent test.

ryannairnmoore
03-09-15, 10:53
The Asym is loaded to higher pressures, as indicated by its muzzle velocity being about 100fps faster than the SSA load in a recent test.

so it is loaded to 5.56 pressure but labeled as .223?
I just emailed ammunition depo they said they are going to be running out of 55gr GMX and will probably have trouble getting more. Where can I buy more if they run out? everyone seems out of stock and it takes me awhile to buy and stock up expensive ammo

witchking777
03-09-15, 11:03
I really like the 55 gr flavor,it matches POA/POI perfectly with my Eotech EXPS3 and M193.

ryannairnmoore
03-09-15, 11:19
I really like the 55 gr flavor,it matches POA/POI perfectly with my Eotech EXPS3 and M193.

where do you find the 55gr everyone is out of stock. only one sight has 1000 boxes left. Do you have any sources?

turnburglar
03-20-15, 01:11

Why so exclusive?

BufordTJustice
04-29-15, 04:33
Bare gel and barrier tests:<br />
<br />
youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lihq_U-2BKM)<br/>

Courtesy of Viciouscb

PatrioticDisorder
04-29-15, 08:49
Bare gel and barrier tests:<br />
<br />
youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lihq_U-2BKM)<br/>

Courtesy of Viciouscb

That's a NASTY round! Is this stuff widely available? I can't seem to find any in stock anywhwre.

Molon
04-29-15, 10:11
. . . . . .

Molon
04-29-15, 10:51
silver state armory has 5.56 stamped all over their boxes but i dont think it is loaded to 5.56 velocities pressures

http://www.box.net/shared/static/risa2oauig.jpg

Silver State Armory's 70 grain TSX load easily matched the reported muzzle velocity of the 5.56mm Optimized load. From a 16" Colt barrel with a NATO chamber, chrome lining and a 1:7" twist, the SSA load had a muzzle velocity of 2788 FPS with a standard deviation of 15 FPS. From a 20" Colt barrel it had a muzzle velocity of 2899 FPS with a standard deviation of 21 FPS.

Since the SSA 70 grain TSX load is 5.56mm load, I decided not to use my Krieger barrel, with its match chamber, to evaluate the accuracy of the SSA load. Instead, I used my 20” Noveske HBAR which has a chamber designed to fire the 5.56mm MK262 load safely, on full-auto, in hot environments. This barrel has a 1:7” twist. Using match grade hand-loads, this barrel turned in a 10-shot group at 100 yards that had an extreme spread of 0.726”.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/9p6kf1904l.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/m1qe5ga8fq.jpg

Previous accuracy testing using hand-loads of the 70 grain TSX bullet proved the bullet itself to be capable of fine accuracy. A 10-shot group fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15 at 100 yards had an extreme spread of 1.12”.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/i3jfs1623r.jpg

The SSA 70 grain TSX load was tested shooting from a bench-rest at a distance of 100 yards. A Leupold Competition scope with a magnification of 45X was used for sighting. Wind conditions were monitored using a Wind Probe.

Just for kicks, I did something a little different this time. I fired two 5-shot groups! Those groups had extreme spreads of 1.22” and 1.91”. I then fired a traditional 10-shot group, which had an extreme spread of 1.93” and a mean radius of 0.61”. I over-layed the two 5-shot groups on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 10-shot composite group. The 10-shot composite group had an extreme spread of 1.93” and a mean radius of 0.63”.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/pjflm7508m.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/jcjqb2mh11.jpg

The Barnes 70 grain TSX is a very long bullet for its weight and caliber. At a nominal length of 1.037” it is longer than the heavier 77 grain Sierra MatchKing.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/m6fiuzhwkc.jpg

Besides being a long bullet, the 70 grain TSX has a specific gravity much lower than a copper jacketed/lead core bullet due to its sold copper construction. For example, the Hornady 75 grain BTHP has a specific gravity of approximately 10.3, while the Barnes 70 grain TSX has a specific gravity of only 8.9.

The Barnes 70 grain TSX will be unstable from a 1:9” twist barrel with a gyroscopic stability factor of less than 1 at all velocities. The 70 grain TSX will only be marginally stable in a 1:8” twist barrel with a G.S.F. of 1.05 at 2500 fps. A 1:7” twist barrel will produce acceptable stability with the 70 grain TSX with a G.S.F. of 1.37 at 2500 fps.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/ndm746vfgpp8e78kt7t0rof4x5itpskd.jpg

As previously stated, a barrel with a 1:9” twist theoretically will not stabilize the 70 grain TSX. Today, I put the theory to test using a Colt 16” HBAR with a 1:9” twist. This same barrel will marginally stabilize the Hornady 75 grain BTHP, though accuracy is slightly diminished compared to a 1:7” twist Colt HBAR.

I fired a 10-shot group of the 70 grain TSX round at a distance of 100 yards using the 1:9” twist barrel. Accuracy was terrible; the group had an extreme spread of over 3 inches. Several of the bullet holes were slightly oblong in shape and a coulple of the bullet holes were clearly “key-holed” demonstrating that a 1:9” twist barrel will indeed not stabilize the 70 grain TSX.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/pe38ll1snq.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/gzuragtqfz.jpg

When the TSX is shot through autoglass, the "petals" tend to shear off, or collapse in on themselves.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/piqgn00tvb.jpg
Courtesy of Dr. Roberts

Molon
04-29-15, 10:53
Do you know why the 55gr GMX is so short compared to 55gr xm193?

Wherever you're getting your information from, it's a very poor source . . .

https://app.box.com/shared/static/jzsze5qakv5ndoascfqeu13h13g372qg.jpg

BufordTJustice
04-29-15, 12:04
Molon, have you had a chance to test the Hornady 70gr GMX projectile?

Molon
04-29-15, 18:44
Molon, have you had a chance to test the Hornady 70gr GMX projectile?

It's on The List.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/pg6ixt7imb1cdqs9h8nqrnh09l7tmhot.jpg

BufordTJustice
04-29-15, 20:57
It's on The List.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/pg6ixt7imb1cdqs9h8nqrnh09l7tmhot.jpg

Outstanding! I'M EXCITE! (in my best Borat voice)

C4IGrant
05-06-15, 12:14
We hope to be stocking the 55gr and 70gr 5.56 GSX shortly!

C4

fz1boxer
05-06-15, 14:59
i stand corrected Molon,the 70 grain is loaded to 5.56 spec.
Molon have you tested any of the SSA 64 grain bonded ammo they produce?

vicious_cb
05-06-15, 15:22
Black Hills is supposed to be coming out with a 5.56 70gr GMX load very soon. Id much prefer BH since hornady civilian availability is always a crap shoot.

fz1boxer
05-06-15, 15:34
the more the merrier maybe with more on the market the price will be driven down..........................lol

PatrioticDisorder
05-06-15, 16:05
Black Hills is supposed to be coming out with a 5.56 70gr GMX load very soon. Id much prefer BH since hornady civilian availability is always a crap shoot.

i think Black Hills would likely be more elusive than Hornady, until recently Hornady coulda been had relatively easy.

WS6
05-06-15, 16:41
The black hills load is the only one that will meet duty or personal standards for me. I like my go to ammo sealed.

Molon
05-06-15, 17:57
Molon have you tested any of the SSA 64 grain bonded ammo they produce?

Muzzle velocity of 2990 FPS from a chrome-lined, NATO chambered 20" Colt barrel with a 1:7" twist with a standard deviation of 29 FPS.

Redstate
05-06-15, 20:18
Question. When the reference is to "barrier" penetration, is that commonly understood as windshield glass or does it encompass many other barriers? Thanks.

PatrioticDisorder
05-06-15, 21:36
Question. When the reference is to "barrier" penetration, is that commonly understood as windshield glass or does it encompass many other barriers? Thanks.

Steel, wall board, ply wood and windshield glass are the typical barriers considered.

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/556-nato/55-gr-gmx-tap-barrier

Redstate
05-06-15, 21:44
Thanks, PatrioticDisorder.