PDA

View Full Version : My son's first deer rifle

MBtech
02-27-15, 22:22
Gents, I am looking to buy my son his first gun/deer rifle for his birthday in a couple of months. I have a few questions for those of you that have been down this path.

First off is caliber requirements, must be .243 or larger.

I only have experience with 223/5.56, (ARs), 20 and 12ga shotguns, .308 bolt actions, and a SCAR 17s. My son has shot my AR and SCAR from a bench and does very well with the recoil. So my question here is how does a .243/260/270 bolt rifle compare as far as recoil? (I have not personally shot any of them but I know a 308 bolt gun is too much for him). What would be your recommendations? Go with the .243 or step up to maybe a .260/.270?

Rifle choices, budget is $500-$600 (ish) give or take before optic. Leaning toward a Tikka T3 Lite, any other recommendations are welcome.

The purchase is special to me and him, he won't know it yet until he is much older and says that was my first gun my Dad bought for me. I'd buy him a million dollar rifle if I could but....

With that said, I don't want to just buy him something to buy something, and I have to factor in an optic. I just don't want to go overboard with recoil that he won't want to shoot. If I knew someone that had any as mentioned to try out I would do so but unfortunately I don't.

Thanks in advance

anatolian B
02-27-15, 22:57
The Tika in 243 would be a great choice. He'll always love whatever you get him.

48J
02-27-15, 23:06
I am a fan of the .243 Winchester. It is a great deer round So, first, I would recommend the .243 as your caliber. You did not describe your son by age or stature so that leaves some guess work about length of pull, rifle weight, etc. I would go with a full size and cut the stock if necessary but save the piece to add length later.

GunBroker has three nice Mauser style rifles in .243 that include a Churchill, an Oberndorf Mauser, and an Austrain Cougar Voere that fit your price range. I would look at these to refinish the stock with a hand rubbed oil finish as a project to further bond you and your son.

My prejudice is toward older Mauser rifles so please pardon my bias.

I look forward to doing this with my son. Good luck to you and your son.

MBtech
02-27-15, 23:30
You did not describe your son by age or stature so that leaves some guess work about length of pull, rifle weight, etc.

He will be turning 10, just under 5' tall and around 85lbs (I'll have to recheck they grow like weeds)

Pic from this last summer, he has grown a bit since.

Uprange41
02-28-15, 03:21
What will he be hunting, what ranges, etc?

MBtech
02-28-15, 04:08
What will he be hunting, what ranges, etc?

0 to 100-150 yards tops for starters, most situations will be 100 or less

MBtech
02-28-15, 04:58

This was about a year and a half ago with a DPMS AR and a Nikon P223 3x32 scope at 100 yards, far from a top notch setup or groups to write home about, but you get the idea. I'm looking so forward to getting him set up.

Campbell
02-28-15, 06:41
Based on the added info you listed, a 243 sounds like a very good start. It will cover his needs for a varmint/predator rifle as a bonus to being his deer rifle...

masan
02-28-15, 07:39
I agree, 243 will always be my first choice if the intended purpose does not call for a .30 cal.

My father bought me a 243 as my first rifle and it is still my favorite to shoot and is worth more to me than all of my other guns combined. You are absolutely right about what this gun will mean to your son. It won't matter to him how fancy the gun is, what will matter is that the gun is his.

H_Talon
02-28-15, 14:15
I'm thinking 7mm-08, I have a couple and recoil is less than the 243 105grn,
the 243 tops out at about 105, 7mm-08 starts there and does up.

and as you said they grow like weeds so there is more room to grow into. up to larger
game down the road.

if your ranges will say under the 150yrs why not the 30-30, mild recoil and cheap ammo
so more shooting to develop those skills .. (just thinking out loud)

just a thought :-) I'm glad to see younguns out shooting and hunting :-)

Uprange41
02-28-15, 16:55
0 to 100-150 yards tops for starters, most situations will be 100 or less

If it's just whitetail, hogs, or coyotes, the .243 will be perfect. Very effective MBPR for him to not need to worry about holdovers at 150, great bullet performance, and low recoil. I would look at some Savage rifles for your best performance for cost. The 16 or 14 would be my picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjxds
02-28-15, 19:37
Gents, I am looking to buy my son his first gun/deer rifle for his birthday in a couple of months. I have a few questions for those of you that have been down this path.

First off is caliber requirements, must be .243 or larger.

I only have experience with 223/5.56, (ARs), 20 and 12ga shotguns, .308 bolt actions, and a SCAR 17s. My son has shot my AR and SCAR from a bench and does very well with the recoil. So my question here is how does a .243/260/270 bolt rifle compare as far as recoil? (I have not personally shot any of them but I know a 308 bolt gun is too much for him). What would be your recommendations? Go with the .243 or step up to maybe a .260/.270?

Rifle choices, budget is $500-$600 (ish) give or take before optic. Leaning toward a Tikka T3 Lite, any other recommendations are welcome.

The purchase is special to me and him, he won't know it yet until he is much older and says that was my first gun my Dad bought for me. I'd buy him a million dollar rifle if I could but....

With that said, I don't want to just buy him something to buy something, and I have to factor in an optic. I just don't want to go overboard with recoil that he won't want to shoot. If I knew someone that had any as mentioned to try out I would do so but unfortunately I don't.

Thanks in advance

As far as 243/260/270 I believe the 270 offers better overall performance and is probably easier to get ammo for. However I don't think there would be a big difference in recoil between the 270 and 308. The 243 would definitely be the softest shooter. Another important consideration in addition to recoil is length of pull and weight of the rifle, you may consider going to a youth stock or if one is not available, it can always be cut down, and there are a lot of options for recoil pads to help as well, such as Kick Eze and limb saver.

The only time recoil will really be a consideration is when sighting in and practicing. During the hunt when he pulls the trigger there will be so much adrenaline flowing he won't feel a thing. If he is like me and most others I know, his first rifle may very well always be his favorite gun, and forever hold a special place in his heart!

I think for a 10 year old the 243 may be the best overall option. If he really enjoys shooting and hunting It will not be his last rifle.

My little Huntn Buddy is grown now, and I really miss all the good times.

Good Luck and enjoy.

SkiDevil
03-01-15, 09:59
I agree with the suggestion of the 7mm-o8 Remington. If he can handle the SCAR, then a slightly larger caliber should work In a bolt gun. Plus, it is a caliber suitable for any medium size game in North America and shot placement will not be as critical. Finally, it is a rifle that he can grow into with reduced recoil factory loads available as well.

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3/t3-compact

The Tikka is a solid choice.

MBtech
03-01-15, 10:15
Thanks for all the replies so far much appreciated. I'll do some more research on the 7mm-08. Yes, he'll shoot my SCAR all day long without a problem, to me it isn't a whole lot more recoil than a 5.56, there is a difference but not a lot. Like I was saying in the OP, my only bolt experience is with .308 and it is much more than the SCAR, that's why I'm inquiring about these other calibers in a bolt gun so thanks again.

That Tikka T3 Compact looks perfect, being able to adjust as he grows thanks for the link.

krm375
03-01-15, 10:35
I started out on the .243 carbine 788, at around the same age, it has a pretty light recoil impulse and now with the hornady custom lite ammo you can even go further to reduce some of the recoil impulse of a bolt gun.

you can search in google recoil impulse of the 243, 7m08, 308 and the chuck hawks site has a chart that you can reference a general recoil impulse of a particular caliber.

I hunted hogs, whitetail, pronghorn, and coyote. With proper bullet selection and the modern bonded, and all copper bullets and correct bullet placement, I would not hesitate to step up to a mule deer. I never had an animal go more than 50 60 yards after taking a 100 gr soft point in the right place.

MBtech
03-01-15, 14:17
I started out on the .243 carbine 788, at around the same age, it has a pretty light recoil impulse and now with the hornady custom lite ammo you can even go further to reduce some of the recoil impulse of a bolt gun.

you can search in google recoil impulse of the 243, 7m08, 308 and the chuck hawks site has a chart that you can reference a general recoil impulse of a particular caliber.

I hunted hogs, whitetail, pronghorn, and coyote. With proper bullet selection and the modern bonded, and all copper bullets and correct bullet placement, I would not hesitate to step up to a mule deer. I never had an animal go more than 50 60 yards after taking a 100 gr soft point in the right place.

Looking at these recoil tables the 7mm-08 is 12.1 ft/lbs of energy with a 120gr round @ 3,000 fps with a 7.5lb gun.

The .243 with a 95gr round @ 3,100 fps with a 7.25 lb gun is 11.0 ft/lbs

So pretty close comparisons between the two and the 7mm-08 is a heavier bullet.

I went ahead and looked at shotgun recoil tables also and a 20ga with 2.75" and 7/8 shot in a 6lb gun is 16.1 ft/lbs and a .308 with 165gr @ 2,700 fps in a 7.5 lb gun is 18.1 ft/lbs.

That site also had good information of how much the gun should weigh to keep recoil below 15 ft/lbs.

The Chuck Hawks site was very helpful thanks.

mark5pt56
03-03-15, 05:49
My vote, he will enjoy this rifle. Recoil will be mild, won't punish him. And a rifle he can hand down to his children, boy or girl or even shoot when he's old--or you will:cool:

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-lite-compact-243-win-jrte315c-with-rings.aspx

Watrdawg
03-03-15, 09:47
Here's another option. This is what I did for my son. I bought him a Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter in .243 to start out with. He was 10 also and about the same size as your son. He had no problems shooting it and accuracy was great. A couple of years later I bought the 7mm08 barrel for it and swapped them out. He's been hunting with it ever since and is now 16. Overall the recoil between the 7mm08 and the 243 isn't much different. The Tikka T3 is a great rifle. I've been hunting with 7mm08 since the round came out in 89. It's my favorite all around deer cartridge. With a good bonded bullet or a solid copper one it's good up to elk sized game.

brickboy240
03-03-15, 10:30
The Tikka can also be had in 6.5x55 which allows for heavier bullets and is a very accurate caliber. I have taken lots of deer and pigs with thr 6.5x55 Swede round. It is a very light kicker and an accurate round that is not hard to find factory ammo in lots of weights.

MBtech
03-03-15, 19:11
My vote, he will enjoy this rifle. Recoil will be mild, won't punish him. And a rifle he can hand down to his children, boy or girl or even shoot when he's old--or you will:cool:

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-lite-compact-243-win-jrte315c-with-rings.aspx

I was originally looking at the T3 Lite, I was not aware of the compact with the spacer option for the stock as he grows until this thread. I think I'm set on this gun now. I'm going to get a price from my LGS tomorrow and see what he can get me one for. I'm going to get to enjoy it too, at least until he grows up and moves out :D

Eurodriver
03-03-15, 19:17
That tikka looks nice.

I have to recommend it if only because Mark recommended a Tikka when I bought my Remington...and well we see what happened. I will live vicariously through you.

MBtech
03-03-15, 19:26
I think I'm going to go with a .243 for him. There are more ammunition options to choose from at my local shops in .243 the more I've looked around. My next task is going to be selecting a scope for the rifle. I'm thinking a simple crosshair reticle Considering a 3-9x40 but I don't want to add too much additional weight.

MBtech
03-03-15, 19:30
That tikka looks nice.

I have to recommend it if only because Mark recommended a Tikka when I bought my Remington...and well we see what happened. I will live vicariously through you.

I might end up being very jealous

Eurodriver
03-03-15, 19:39
I think I'm going to go with a .243 for him. There are more ammunition options to choose from at my local shops in .243 the more I've looked around. My next task is going to be selecting a scope for the rifle. I'm thinking a simple crosshair reticle Considering a 3-9x40 but I don't want to add too much additional weight.

I own a Mueller APV. 4.5-24 or something (I never go above 12). It was like $175 and is a good bang for your buck!

MBtech
03-03-15, 19:44
I own a Mueller APV. 4.5-24 or something (I never go above 12). It was like $175 and is a good bang for your buck!

Yea, we're not going to go too crazy with his first scope, it's going to get abused getting drug around in the woods I'm sure. $150-$300 tops should get him a decent optic to start out with

MBtech
03-03-15, 20:52
I was originally thinking of setting the gun up with scope installed and already in a case as a package. But I think I have changed my mind on that. They will be separate and we will mount the scope together and then zero the scope together.

Any .243 ammunition recommendations this rifle may like would be great.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

brickboy240
03-04-15, 12:43
One of those Nikons in 3x9x40mm ought to do quite well. They can be had in the 100-150 range easily.

I use he Federal Premiums tipped with the Nosler Ballistic Tip in my Savage 99 243. They are extremely accurate, however the Ballistic Tip does quite a bit of meat damage. I mostly shoot coyotes with my 243, but that Nosler really puts them down fast and does some impressive exit wounds!

MBtech
03-04-15, 13:04
Update, my local gunshop price on the .243 Tikka T3 Lite Compact is $550.

I agree with Nikon, I have always had good luck with them for a hunting scope. I may look into the Leupold VX-1 and VX-2 line as well they are around $200 also.

brickboy240
03-04-15, 15:40
Yeah, if you can get a Leupy for 200 go for it.

Around here, I can easily find a Nikon 3x9x40 for 100-125 at our Academy stores.

Also get quality bases and rings. I prefer Redfield or Leupold steel rings and bases.

For ammo...you really need to try a few types and see what the rifle "likes" best. Some bolt guns can group amazingly well with the cheapo stuff and others really benefit from the premium stuff. I have a 30-06 that will throw a 1/2" group at 100yds all day long with the Winchester Power Point cheap stuff from Wal Mart. My brother's 30-06 Browning A-bolt would not do nearly as well and needed Federal Premiums to group that well from the same bench.

There was not a huge difference between 100gr winny Power Points and the Federal Premiums in my 243 Savage...but I choose to hunt mostly with the better ammo. Would the Power Points get the job done? Probably.

You never know unless you try various rounds to see which ones the rifle will like. It might NOT be the pricey stuff.

MBtech
03-04-15, 17:15
This is one of the scopes I'm pondering on.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-1-Riflescope-P51827.aspx

I think we will start of with trying some Hornady, Win, Federal, and Rem, in the 80-100 gr range.

H_Talon
03-04-15, 18:08
you might look at the Burris 2X7 they are in your price range.

I use one on my 7mm-08 and I'm good 25yds to 300yds ....

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/H_Talon/rifle/7mm-08-99_zps88af5ed0.jpg

compact and lite weight, :-)

Watrdawg
03-05-15, 07:04
In my son's rifle the Hornady 95gr SST's shot best. He's put down multiple deer with that round. As said before try a couple of different rounds and see what shoots best

MBtech
03-05-15, 09:48
My cousin used to have a 243 and used Hornady 95gr and had great results with coyote and pigs. Does it produce a significant wound channel on deer in case much of a tracking job is needed? I'm not concerned about meat damage a heart/lung shot placement is just going to go through the ribcage. There isn't enough meat there to be worried about in my opinion. I've taken a couple of my relatives kids hunting in the past and in the heat of the moment the shot doesn't always end up where intended due to nerves and excitement. Then it's on to the blood trail. I've been mostly a bow hunter and shotgun, so a lot of these rifle rounds for deer are new to me. Thanks again for the help.

krm375
03-05-15, 10:11
I started out with a fixed 4x Tasco on my Rem 788, then I moved up to a Bushnell 3-9x40. For my kids, I have set up the Rifle with Tally rings and bases with a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 illuminated fire dot with a German #4 reticle.

Dont skimp on the rings and bases, they are as important as the scope and rifle itself.

I have purchased some Hornady Custom Lite 87 grain .243 reduced recoil for my kids to start on and 95 grain federal fusion bonded for them to hunt with.

MBtech
03-05-15, 10:27
I started out with a fixed 4x Tasco on my Rem 788, then I moved up to a Bushnell 3-9x40. For my kids, I have set up the Rifle with Tally rings and bases with a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 illuminated fire dot with a German #4 reticle.

Dont skimp on the rings and bases, they are as important as the scope and rifle itself.

I have purchased some Hornady Custom Lite 87 grain .243 reduced recoil for my kids to start on and 95 grain federal fusion bonded for them to hunt with.

Yes, I agree I'm thinking of going with Leupold bases and rings. I'm guessing I should use a set of low rings on this rifle?

I do need to look into some target practice rounds also as they are cheaper than hunting bullets usually.

brickboy240
03-05-15, 11:07
Love that custom Savage 99.

Mine is a 1964 Featherweight in 243. I cut and re-crowned the barrel down to 18" and put a Leupy 2x7 on it. Makes a nice close range coyote gun!

the Savage 99 is one accurate lever action.

Watrdawg
03-05-15, 13:42
My cousin used to have a 243 and used Hornady 95gr and had great results with coyote and pigs. Does it produce a significant wound channel on deer in case much of a tracking job is needed? I'm not concerned about meat damage a heart/lung shot placement is just going to go through the ribcage. There isn't enough meat there to be worried about in my opinion. I've taken a couple of my relatives kids hunting in the past and in the heat of the moment the shot doesn't always end up where intended due to nerves and excitement. Then it's on to the blood trail. I've been mostly a bow hunter and shotgun, so a lot of these rifle rounds for deer are new to me. Thanks again for the help.

For the most part we haven't had many exit wounds. We usually shoot our deer right at the top of the shoulder. They drop in their tracks and don't budge. The few that my son has shot through the lungs haven't gone too far either. Earlier this year we tracked a doe about 100 yards at night and had a very easy blood trail to follow. Lots of blood drops and then foamy puddles where she was coughing up blood. I'm surprised she went as far as she did.

MBtech
03-05-15, 13:55
For the most part we haven't had many exit wounds. We usually shoot our deer right at the top of the shoulder. They drop in their tracks and don't budge. The few that my son has shot through the lungs haven't gone too far either. Earlier this year we tracked a doe about 100 yards at night and had a very easy blood trail to follow. Lots of blood drops and then foamy puddles where she was coughing up blood. I'm surprised she went as far as she did.

Good deal, that's reassuring. As far as the shoulder shot placement I'll have to get out of my bowhunting mindset for that, I've always chose a broadside lung shot as it provides a larger target.

Watrdawg
03-05-15, 14:42
I'm the same way when bowhunting myself Right behind the should lower third of the body. Up until about 5 years ago I was that way when rifle hunting. Then i read about how deer would drop in their tracks with a shot placed right at the top of the shoulder. Also saw video and I was hooked. So If I'm about 150 yards and in that is where I place my shot. Works every time

MBtech
03-05-15, 15:09
I'm the same way when bowhunting myself Right behind the should lower third of the body. Up until about 5 years ago I was that way when rifle hunting. Then i read about how deer would drop in their tracks with a shot placed right at the top of the shoulder. Also saw video and I was hooked. So If I'm about 150 yards and in that is where I place my shot. Works every time

While on the subject of shot placement, I really like a quartering away shot aiming for the opposite front shoulder. With a "quartering to" shot (which for bowhunting I will not take) sounds like the .243 is a go to take that shot. I'll be coaching side by side, I don't plan on him taking a shot on a deer more than 100-150 yards, closer the better.

Sounds like you have certainly been down this road and I appreciate the advice.

Watrdawg
03-05-15, 16:01
A quartering away shot gives you so much more room for error! I'm in the same boat as far as taking a "quartering to" shot with a bow. A good bonded bullet like a Hornady Interbond, Federal Fusion or even the Federal Trophy Copper all will handle those shots easily out to the distances you are talking about and even farther. I'm really looking at the Federal Trophy Copper round. It's only an 85gr bullet but at 3200 fps out to 250 or so I'd have no problem pulling the trigger with it. I shoot that same bullet in my 7mm08 and its performed flawlessly so far. It's also a very accurate round. It's basically a tipped TSX bullet. The Hornady SST 95gr has performed very well and I have no issues with it at all. I just like to keep trying new stuff to see if the grass really is greener on the other side.

MBtech
03-05-15, 23:57
A quartering away shot gives you so much more room for error! I'm in the same boat as far as taking a "quartering to" shot with a bow. A good bonded bullet like a Hornady Interbond, Federal Fusion or even the Federal Trophy Copper all will handle those shots easily out to the distances you are talking about and even farther. I'm really looking at the Federal Trophy Copper round. It's only an 85gr bullet but at 3200 fps out to 250 or so I'd have no problem pulling the trigger with it. I shoot that same bullet in my 7mm08 and its performed flawlessly so far. It's also a very accurate round. It's basically a tipped TSX bullet. The Hornady SST 95gr has performed very well and I have no issues with it at all. I just like to keep trying new stuff to see if the grass really is greener on the other side.

Excellent, that will give me a lot more confidence to tell him to take the shot under those circumstances. I've shot a 12ga Hornady SST sabot slug for years now and it puts the smack down on them, however it puts the smack down on my shoulder too and I'm about over it myself, it's punishing out of my single shot, not as young and tough as I used to be :)

Watrdawg
03-06-15, 07:14
You're a tougher man than me! No way I'm shooting a 12ga slug out of a single shot!! I hate recoil. That's one reason I like the 7mm08 so much. I do have a .300 Win Mag but It has a muzzle brake on it and the recoil is on par with my 7mm08. The only way I'm shooting that gun is with the muzzle brake.

MBtech
03-06-15, 08:06
You're a tougher man than me! No way I'm shooting a 12ga slug out of a single shot!! I hate recoil. That's one reason I like the 7mm08 so much. I do have a .300 Win Mag but It has a muzzle brake on it and the recoil is on par with my 7mm08. The only way I'm shooting that gun is with the muzzle brake.

I have a love/hate relationship with it :)

Watrdawg
03-06-15, 08:15
At least the weight of the gun helps to dampen some of the recoil. My son's very first 243 was a handy rifle version of yours. I gave it to my nephew when we got the Thompson Center Encore to replace it.

mark5pt56
03-07-15, 06:41
Update, my local gunshop price on the .243 Tikka T3 Lite Compact is $550.

I agree with Nikon, I have always had good luck with them for a hunting scope. I may look into the Leupold VX-1 and VX-2 line as well they are around $200 also.

Guessing you purchased this? That's a great rifle and price. Dang, I'll be jealous!

The H&R single shot 12 ga is always highly advised-but not for me with recoil.

A cheap sleeper scope is the Leupold Rifleman line, have a 2-7 and it's been a tank!

MBtech
03-07-15, 08:51
Guessing you purchased this? That's a great rifle and price. Dang, I'll be jealous!

The H&R single shot 12 ga is always highly advised-but not for me with recoil.

A cheap sleeper scope is the Leupold Rifleman line, have a 2-7 and it's been a tank!

I have not purchased it yet, but that's the rifle and where I'll be buying it from. Waiting on tax return. Guy treats me right I've bought guns from him for the last 10 years. My SCAR 17 was $2600 when they were still going for around $3k. I have a feeling I'm going to be jealous too.

My H&R Ultra Slug is stupid accurate but it only gets the zero checked and pointed at a deer, not a fun range toy.

A 2-7 would make sense to keep the package light, and should be plenty of magnification for the ranges he'll be shooting. I'll look into those. Based on his size I'm guessing a set of low rings to mout the scope with?

His birthday is May 4th that's why I'm trying to get on the ball with it now to get it all figured out. I can't wait! :)

mark5pt56
03-07-15, 09:12
Yes, either the low Optilock or Talley one piece. I'm not sure if it comes with rings or not.

These came with my Tikka .223 Varmint, not using them so let me know and I can give you a deal.
http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-ring-mount-1-inch-low-silver-gray-s132r967.aspx

MBtech
03-07-15, 09:55
I really like the looks of those Talley one piece, looks like one solid setup I was unaware of those, no ring base just one solid mount. I see they have extra low for the T3 Tikka, worth considering or just stick with low?

Thanks for the offer too, I never thought to ask if the rifle came with rings or not.

mark5pt56
03-07-15, 10:12
I really like the looks of those Talley one piece, looks like one solid setup I was unaware of those, no ring base just one solid mount. I see they have extra low for the T3 Tikka, worth considering or just stick with low?

Thanks for the offer too, I never thought to ask if the rifle came with rings or not.

I would call Talley on the extra low, may not be necessary or advisable as when hunting you may have extra face gear on and not be able to have optimal cheek placement.
They are good on the phone with advice and can tell you what objective each will handle.

MBtech
03-07-15, 10:32
I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say. Thanks again!

It's pretty much looking like this one is all over but the crying. I think I'm going to go ahead and go with the 3-9x40 as it is only an ounce heavier.

Tikka T3 Lite Compact .243 $550 (LGS)
Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 $199.95 (SWFA)
Talley one piece rings $49.95 (Talley)
Need to pick out a sling :cool:

I can't wait to see the look on my son's face and post up some pics and groups

You all have been a great help much thanks.

To be continued.....:)

mark5pt56
03-07-15, 12:42
I've been using the Proctor sling on my hunting shotguns and rifles, including bolt and semi. Light and easy to adjust, tweak length to your needs. Nice on the Tavor as well.

MBtech
03-07-15, 12:56
I've been using the Proctor sling on my hunting shotguns and rifles, including bolt and semi. Light and easy to adjust, tweak length to your needs. Nice on the Tavor as well.

Any recs on good place to buy? I'm seeing about $40 on Amazon. Not bad..

mark5pt56
03-07-15, 13:37
https://troyind.com/slingsmounts?page=3

You will need 1" swivels, both of my Tikka's came with them.

MBtech
03-07-15, 13:57
https://troyind.com/slingsmounts?page=3

You will need 1" swivels, both of my Tikka's came with them.

Cool, thank you. I need to give my gunshop a call back and find out what all this rifle is going to come with it sounds like.

MBtech
03-07-15, 14:47
Rifle does come with the 1" swivels. Called Cabelas and they have the rifle in stock to go put my hands on it to check it out. $579 I still plan on purchasing from my local guy though. Cabelas makes plenty of $. Gives me something to do today to get out of the house :cool:

mark5pt56
03-07-15, 18:13
Excellent! Hey, saves you $10-

I recently stopped in a Cabela's and drooled over the Sako's

MBtech
03-07-15, 18:28
Excellent! Hey, saves you $10-

I recently stopped in a Cabela's and drooled over the Sako's

32057 32058

Rings too, what a sweet little rifle! Gun counter guy went in the back to get it for me to check out, wasn't assembled with the bolt installed but I checked out and cycled a couple other Tikka's off the shelf. Damn they are silky smooth! This thing will be perfect for him and I want a Tikka now! It was hard to have him box it back up and leave without it, but I know what I'm getting now. I did pick up 200 rnds of PMC XTac 5.56 green tip though :cool:

I would love to have a Sako TRG

AverajeJo
03-08-15, 11:11
MB. Not to start a controversy, any reason that you did not go with 308? My little baby boy (10 year old) hunts with AAC-SD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sabelljr
03-08-15, 15:02
.243 is a great choice, in my opinion the best to start a youngster with. I went through the same process last year and bought my son a Ruger compact in .243 with a leapold 2-7 compact scope. I have him shooting 100 grain Federal soft points, nice groups mild recoil. He shot his first deer last Thanksgiving in Maine, 130 yard shot resting of a tree branch. The doe dressed 127lbs knocked her flat.

MBtech
03-08-15, 16:01
MB. Not to start a controversy, any reason that you did not go with 308? My little baby boy (10 year old) hunts with AAC-SD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm just wanting to start him out with lighter recoil, build him up to the larger calibers. I want him to build confidence with that slow squeeze and suprise not be anticipating the bang and develop the "blink/squint/flinch/yank trigger" kids can very easily start out doing, just develops bad habbits from the start in my opinion.

Watrdawg
03-09-15, 09:54
Butler Creek Comfort Stretch slings are really nice, inexpensive slings. They are very quiet, padded and the neoprene really stays put on your shoulder. I've got them on all of my hunting rifles.

MBtech
03-09-15, 19:53
Butler Creek Comfort Stretch slings are really nice, inexpensive slings. They are very quiet, padded and the neoprene really stays put on your shoulder. I've got them on all of my hunting rifles.

Thanks, I'll look into those. Taking a kid hunting I'll take all the quiet I can get :) I had some shoulder straps on one of my Summit climbers that creaked and squeaked, drove me nuts! They did not stay long.

MBtech
03-20-15, 19:23
Tikka T3 Compact .243 is on order :cool: it does come with rings so I can cross those off the list.

MBtech
03-21-15, 15:46
The rifle should be in Wed or Thurs. I'm up in the air about the scope. Pretty sure I'm going with a Leupold Rifleman, 2-7x33 or 3-9x40. After getting to handle the rifle I realized how nice and compact it is and a 2-7 makes good sense especially for keeping it light and compact for a youth shooter/hunter. I've not used anything smaller than a 40mm objective on any of my hunting guns.

My question to those of you that have 2-7x33 experience and 40mm. How much to be concerned with the objective difference for available light in dusk/dawn situations if any, and field of view comparing the two?

I'm sure for the average distances he'll be shooting/hunting 2-7 would be plenty of magnification.

bjxds
03-21-15, 19:48
The rifle should be in Wed or Thurs. I'm up in the air about the scope. Pretty sure I'm going with a Leupold Rifleman, 2-7x33 or 3-9x40. After getting to handle the rifle I realized how nice and compact it is and a 2-7 makes good sense especially for keeping it light and compact for a youth shooter/hunter. I've not used anything smaller than a 40mm objective on any of my hunting guns.

My question to those of you that have 2-7x33 experience and 40mm. How much to be concerned with the objective difference for available light in dusk/dawn situations if any, and field of view comparing the two?

I'm sure for the average distances he'll be shooting/hunting 2-7 would be plenty of magnification.

The light and compact advantage of the 2-7x33 may outweigh any advantage the 3-9x40 would provide for your configuration. I replaced a compact 30mm with a 3-9x40 on a .22 plinker/squirrel gun simply because I have been use to looking through 3-9x40's for so long anything else just didn't feel right. I also keep my scopes on the lowest setting because I just don't need more where I hunt.

Given equal glass the larger scope will always be brighter and have a larger field of view than the smaller one, but he has no basis of comparison at 10 years old.

IMHO I don't think the 2-7x33 would be a disadvantage for your son at this age, but I think it's a preference thing.

MBtech
03-23-15, 18:58
I think I will go ahead and go with a 2-7x33 scope for him and keep it nice and compact and save the few extra ounces that would be added from larger scope. SWFA so far has the best price on the Leupold Rifleman at $184 that I have found.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-7x33-Rifleman-Riflescope-P1996.aspx

brickboy240
03-27-15, 11:06
My uncle has that same scope on a Sako 75 in 7x57mm. It is a nice short to medium range scope that is much more compact than the 3x9x40 sized scopes.

I almost put one on my Savage 99 Featherweight 243 but got a screaming deal from Optics Planet on a Nikon 3x9x40 and went that route.

That Sako 75 in 7x57mm is really a nice light little rig - I am jealous that my cousin will be inheriting that little gem...not me! LOL

MBtech
03-27-15, 11:57
I think it should turn out to be a really nice setup.

I will be picking up the Tikka this evening after work :cool:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oY2PdtIsnqc

MBtech
03-27-15, 18:39
I brought the rifle home this evening. What a slick little gun, the action on this thing is smooth as glass, and the trigger feels great. I can't wait to see how it shoots.

Tikka T3 Lite Compact in 243. Rings, sling swivels included along with a length of pull stock spacer to add as he grows.

The only thing I've found that concerns me is how the safety is sitting, not sure if this is a big deal, normal, or just maybe a little tweak is needed. The safety seems to be a little crooked and is contacting and leaving a mark on the rear of the bolt. I didn't notice it while purchasing, it operates fine but that is bugging me. Any Tikka owners seen this?

JW5219
03-28-15, 11:09
The only thing I've found that concerns me is how the safety is sitting, not sure if this is a big deal, normal, or just maybe a little tweak is needed. The safety seems to be a little crooked and is contacting and leaving a mark on the rear of the bolt. I didn't notice it while purchasing, it operates fine but that is bugging me. Any Tikka owners seen this?

3241432415[/QUOTE]

That isn't normal and does look cockeyed. I own 5 Tikka's and the safeties are straight and do not make contact . I'd have it looked at. Congrats on your purchase.
they are great rifles !

MBtech
03-28-15, 13:30
I took the rifle back to the gun shop today and showed him the safety, he's going to get another rifle in this week and trade me so I don't have to mess with it. Shop is on my way to and from work, just a matter of stopping in, checking out another rifle and making a trade. Very happy with the service, big reason why I have done most of my gun and ammo purchasing with him for over 10 years now. Not a big deal.

Thanks for the info JW5219.

ETA: Glad I started this project well ahead of time and make sure everything is right for him. I still have a month to get the scope, sling, and some ammo.

mark5pt56
03-28-15, 14:49

That isn't normal and does look cockeyed. I own 5 Tikka's and the safeties are straight and do not make contact . I'd have it looked at. Congrats on your purchase.
they are great rifles ![/QUOTE]

Not normal, looks like it may have been bumped during assembly.

MBtech
03-28-15, 15:35
they are great rifles !

Not normal, looks like it may have been bumped during assembly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys, I didn't think it should be like that, never had a Tikka but my guy at the gunshop is being very helpful to make it right for me. Looks like I'll most likely be trading out for another T3Compact.

MBtech
05-03-15, 13:45
I gave my son the Tikka this weekend and what a precious moment! I'm not sure who's smile was bigger his or mine :) Watching him open up the box with no clue what was inside and watch his eyes light up will be a memory I will never forget. The rifle fits him perfect as I suspected it would to watch him shoulder it and nestle his cheek against it. I can't wait for the first range session! I'll add more about how it goes after he starts getting some trigger time in with it. Pretty sure Dad won the best birthday gift award this year :)

ETA: The replacement rifle safety lever is not crooked much better, that was for sure not normal on the first gun.

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys.

Eurodriver
05-03-15, 14:50
That's awesome!

jstone
05-05-15, 17:40
Perfect pick mb! You cant beat the 243 as a starter gun. I started with a marlin 336, and the leupold 2-7 scope. The 2-7 would be perfect to start, it will keep it compact and light. Not only can this rifle serve as a starter hunting rifle, you could also use it to get into long range shooting. 243 is a great lr round. If your looking for a good 6mm deer bullet look into the 100gr partition. I know federal used to load it in there vital shok line.

The tikka should shoot great, they guarantee sub moa out of the box. Some of my best memories are from going hunting with my dad when I was younger. So I know he will enjoy it. There needs to be more fathers out there like you that carry on the tradition of teaching there children to hunt, and shoot. Without fathers like you our second amendment rights could dissapear withing a generation. Sorry for going a little off topic.

MBtech
05-05-15, 18:21
Perfect pick mb! You cant beat the 243 as a starter gun. I started with a marlin 336, and the leupold 2-7 scope. The 2-7 would be perfect to start, it will keep it compact and light. Not only can this rifle serve as a starter hunting rifle, you could also use it to get into long range shooting. 243 is a great lr round. If your looking for a good 6mm deer bullet look into the 100gr partition. I know federal used to load it in there vital shok line.

The tikka should shoot great, they guarantee sub moa out of the box. Some of my best memories are from going hunting with my dad when I was younger. So I know he will enjoy it. There needs to be more fathers out there like you that carry on the tradition of teaching there children to hunt, and shoot. Without fathers like you our second amendment rights could dissapear withing a generation. Sorry for going a little off topic.

Thanks man, not off topic at all that's what this thread is all about!

Picking out a great gun for a great son to make a lot of memories with! ;)

My son and daughter both are the two best shooting/hunting buddies I could possibly ask for :)

jstone
05-05-15, 19:17
Even better getting your daughter invovled, there are not enough young girls shooting. They will never forget the time spent hunting and shooting with dad. Next step if you dont already is reloading.

MBtech
05-06-15, 16:57
Even better getting your daughter invovled, there are not enough young girls shooting. They will never forget the time spent hunting and shooting with dad. Next step if you dont already is reloading.

Both of my kids have been going hunting with me since about 5 years old, they are now 10 and 12. I started them out shooting at around 8.

One of the first questions my son had about the rifle was "Can this be a wild boar gun?" Lol, yep sure can buddy no problem. Added even more excitement to the gift :)

As far as reloading I do not, but it is on the to do list. I know zilch about it but I know there is a wealth of knowledge right here on M4C on the subject for when I want to prepare for it and learn. I have a Rem 700 AAC SD in .308, now we added a Tikka in .243 (I suspect another Tikka going in the safe with dad's name on it as well) :) So it is a definite worth while investment.

rcoodyar15
05-06-15, 19:39
Both of my kids have been going hunting with me since about 5 years old, they are now 10 and 12. I started them out shooting at around 8.

One of the first questions my son had about the rifle was "Can this be a wild boar gun?" Lol, yep sure can buddy no problem. Added even more excitement to the gift :)

As far as reloading I do not, but it is on the to do list. I know zilch about it but I know there is a wealth of knowledge right here on M4C on the subject for when I want to prepare for it and learn. I have a Rem 700 AAC SD in .308, now we added a Tikka in .243 (I suspect another Tikka going in the safe with dad's name on it as well) :) So it is a definite worth while investment.

A little late to the party. The .243 is an awesome round. Great ballistics. Inherently accurate. Makes a good caliber for a 6mm 1000yd rifle.

That said I have tracked more wounded deer shot with a .243 than any other caliber. The reason is exactly what we have heard here. Kids and girls with not a whole lot of experience get handed one because of the low recoil. I am not saying that the .243 is not capable of killing deer. What I am saying is with the 6mm's bullet placement is very important. Those iffy shots you need to pass up. It takes skill and judgment to hunt humanely with a 6mm. I have seen the expressions on the faces as we tracked wounded animals. It is not a good experience for a young inexperienced hunter.

Sounds like your son is a proficient marksman and has the experience and judgment to pick his shot. he will be very happy with the .243.

My first deer rifle was a .308. I was 12. No telling how many deer I killed with that gun. Never missed and never had one run off. Of course back then a 200 yd shot was a long one. I still deer hunt with a .308. Lot nicer one now and have all kinds of other rifles but when I head to the deer stand I take the .308. Nostalgia? or I know it works?

FishTaco
05-24-15, 22:59
Would have to agree with a basic .243 plus decent scope. Will also work out to longer ranges if necessary.

MBtech
05-25-15, 15:08
First shots with first rifle

Well, we finally got to shoot the Tikka today. Picked up some Winchester Super X Power Point 100gr to get started with, mainly because it was cheap and was all my LGS had at the time in 243. We just started off at 50 yards to get him used to the rifle and get on paper. Once the nerves calmed down and he knew what to expect as far as recoil (which I will say as light as the T3 Compact is it does have some thump) but he's doing just fine with it.

These were his last 3 sets of shots in the zeroing process, we were just taking two at a time trying to beat the rain this morning.

Next two below these, with one last adjustment afterwords in dead center

Last two of the day...

Only got to shoot 50 yards today but hey what a way to get off to a great start. Can't wait to try some other ammo and move back to 100. He's well on his way to making good kill shots for hunting, recoil is not an issue, and consistent shot placement around an inch or less on the first go round = success in my book, I was very pleased to see him punching holes right next to each other. Most of all he's loving his rifle and having a blast, and so am I :)

brickboy240
05-26-15, 11:09
That is definitely "minute of deer" and with some practice and maybe switching ammo...you can tighten that up some.

With those 100gr Power Points out of my 1964 Savage 99 243, I get similar results and never tried any other round. That is "close enough" for my short range needs for the 243.

That round will take the average white tail nicely at 100yds or less and it devastating on coyotes. I have probably taken more yotes with that round than deer.

MBtech
05-26-15, 12:46
That is definitely "minute of deer" and with some practice and maybe switching ammo...you can tighten that up some.

With those 100gr Power Points out of my 1964 Savage 99 243, I get similar results and never tried any other round. That is "close enough" for my short range needs for the 243.

That round will take the average white tail nicely at 100yds or less and it devastating on coyotes. I have probably taken more yotes with that round than deer.

I'm sure after some more practice he will tighten it up more. Definitely going to try several different ammo. At first he was flinching and being a bit timid not knowing what to expect which I suspected, it's only natural for a kid, but after a little coaching and getting him to relax and take his time and the shots started landing that close together while sighting in I was super proud. After the last scope adjustment and he hit dead center I saw the confidence gleaming at that point. The jitters are out of the way now and he's dying to shoot again.

"Minute of deer" that's exactly what I told him, just keep doing that and and prove to me he can do it consistently and out to 100 yards and the deer are in trouble.