PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional/Uncommon/Unique Items in Your Kit

Outlander Systems
02-28-15, 17:15
It's always interesting to see what some of the oddball type items folks carry in their packs/kits.

I'd say the strangest item I carry is a pencil sharpener. It makes short work of pines, and beats the hell out of carving up feathersticks by hand.

The other odd one is modified, waterproof sparklers.

Other than that, it's pretty much standard fare. Just curious to see what some of y'all are carrying that's atypical.

SeriousStudent
02-28-15, 23:22
Small bottle of potassium permanganate.

Firestarter, disinfectant, water purifier, and it will flat out kill jungle rot on your feet.

Outlander Systems
03-01-15, 08:17

Firestarter, disinfectant, water purifier, and it will flat out kill jungle rot on your feet.

Very... VERY interesting.

ST911
03-01-15, 08:51

Recently learned about this as a friend ignited it atop some snow. VERY cool.

HKGuns
03-01-15, 09:01
Vaseline infused cotton balls in a zip lock bag for fire starting.

- light, compact and work like magic.

MBtech
03-01-15, 11:53

Yep same here awesome way to start a fire.

SeriousStudent
03-01-15, 16:57
Very... VERY interesting.

Recently learned about this as a friend ignited it atop some snow. VERY cool.

Yeah, a long time ago I used to spend a lot of time in jungle environments. Some nice fellow with a British accent explained how they carried it in their kit, and following him around made me a believer.

It is getting harder to find now. You used to be able to pick it up from most swimming pool supply stores. I ordered the last container from a place on eBay.

When wandering about the landscape, I always try to carry at least three methods of starting fires, preferably four. This one is handy as also serves medicinal purposes. A sterilizer/disinfectant has proved to be very useful to me in the past. The darker the color, the more bugs it kills. Just a few crystals dropped into a canteen will kill most of the critters in it. A very light pink color will disinfect a wound.

ETA: And be careful with the stuff around brake fluid. Search YouTube for more info on that. :cool:

Outlander Systems
03-01-15, 17:23
When wandering about the landscape, I always try to carry at least three methods of starting fires, preferably four.

Good man.

I always go for multiple redundancies on fire prep and water prep.

Sounds like the Pot-Perm will serve double duty on both of those.

Thanks for the heads up on this stuff.

interfan
03-02-15, 15:00
A little silly, but a Lego Darth Vader keychain flashlight. http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Darth-Vader-Light/dp/B005AN6DEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425329165&sr=8-1&keywords=lego+darth+vader+keychain

It is in all my kits to serve two purposes:
1. Entertain my son (he's 3) and give him something to make him feel secure or just distracted with a toy if there is an emergency, and
2. It is an extra flashlight that can be used if needed (it isn't very bright, but OK for reading).

As he has grown, it gives me a reason to evaluate, inspect, and update things periodically to meet current needs. It is small enough not to be space wasting and is safe and easy for him to use if he needed to (not retina burning like a Surefire Ultra).

hotrodder636
03-07-15, 20:46
I keep one of the County Comm micro grapple hooks in my "travel/go" bag

For the potassium permanganate, is also gets interesting when mixed with glycerin IIRC

Outlander Systems
03-08-15, 17:56

For the potassium permanganate, is also gets interesting when mixed with glycerin IIRC

School me on that hook. Looks very interesting...

hotrodder636
03-08-15, 20:31
The hook is made of stainless steel, has three prongs which screw out and are stored withing the body of the hook. The back (where you would tie your cordage) unscrews and this is where you put the tines. It has a decent heft to it. I find it effective to use with paracord for straining up backpacks, food etc. in the woods. There is a larger model as well, but I wanted "micro".

It also appears that they now have an even smaller version, a 'pico'

I acquired them from county countycomm.com

Let me know if I didn't answer your questions and I will remedy.

hotrodder636
03-08-15, 20:33
You can find various quantities of potassium permanganate on Amazon up to 2 lbs.

Yeah, a long time ago I used to spend a lot of time in jungle environments. Some nice fellow with a British accent explained how they carried it in their kit, and following him around made me a believer.

It is getting harder to find now. You used to be able to pick it up from most swimming pool supply stores. I ordered the last container from a place on eBay.

When wandering about the landscape, I always try to carry at least three methods of starting fires, preferably four. This one is handy as also serves medicinal purposes. A sterilizer/disinfectant has proved to be very useful to me in the past. The darker the color, the more bugs it kills. Just a few crystals dropped into a canteen will kill most of the critters in it. A very light pink color will disinfect a wound.

ETA: And be careful with the stuff around brake fluid. Search YouTube for more info on that. :cool:

Outlander Systems
03-09-15, 00:11
The hook is made of stainless steel, has three prongs which screw out and are stored withing the body of the hook. The back (where you would tie your cordage) unscrews and this is where you put the tines. It has a decent heft to it. I find it effective to use with paracord for straining up backpacks, food etc. in the woods. There is a larger model as well, but I wanted "micro".

It also appears that they now have an even smaller version, a 'pico'

I acquired them from county countycomm.com

Let me know if I didn't answer your questions and I will remedy.

I really like anything that can't be fabricated, or is difficult fabricate in the woods, that can serve multiple purposes and still be lightweight.

That pico looks pretty damned cool.

hotrodder636
03-09-15, 01:44
I think the pico might actually be too small to be useful. I wish the tines on the micro were a tad longer.

Straight Shooter
03-11-15, 06:42
County Comm has lots of unusual but useful stuff that would go nicely in this thread. Don't know how unusual it is...but I have their small shortwave radio with extra antennae. This little beast is awesome, and has an alarm and small LED light too. Worth every penny.

Shao
03-11-15, 11:37
I carry a small lockpick kit in my BOB. I figure if the S really hits the F, it could come in handy to procure propane from those locked outdoor cabinets or perhaps gain entry into an abandoned house to use as a temporary domicile without destroying the door. Most household locks can be raked open or picked within a minute and the Masterlocks that they use to secure those propane tanks are a joke - 20-30 seconds tops. Plus, it beats carrying around a giant prybar.

lunchbox
03-11-15, 17:35
Survco card axe http://youtu.be/L26b_VDRxDw

Lost River
03-13-15, 23:51
Titanium roll up volcano stove.

Weighs practically nothing and is perfect for making coffee, ramen, whatever, for a hot meal from just a few twigs.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/018-4.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/018-4.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/015-9.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/015-9.jpg.html)

Shao
03-14-15, 09:43
Condoms and anti-biotics... you never know what kind of STDs will run rampant after the SHTF. :D

threeheadeddog
03-14-15, 13:48
Prep. H individually wrapped wipes. Even if you dont suffer from the intended use of these( I dont) the medication seems to help with swamp ass. Since many people carry wipes anyway might as well carry some that are more multi-use.

SeriousStudent
03-15-15, 01:03
Titanium roll up volcano stove.

Weighs practically nothing and is perfect for making coffee, ramen, whatever, for a hot meal from just a few twigs.

That's very cool - where did you find the stove? Or did you make it?

A buddy of mine taught me a trick that worked relatively well for that need. He had two pairs of stainless steel chopsticks, and would stick three of them into the dirt, and build the fire. He'd rest the pot on the sticks. The forth chopstick worked as a stirring stick, or pot lifter.

Didn't always work for me, as I spent a lot of time in rocky desert areas. It seemed like every time I wanted to do that, I was on a solid rock platform. But when it did, it worked pretty well.

Lost River
03-15-15, 19:13
Not homemade. If you Google Ed T stoves, his stuff will pop up. Pretty simple design and works very well with a minimal amount of wood. He built mine to a specific cup/pot diameter.

He posts on hill people gear and 24 hour campfire.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/046.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/046.jpg.html)

SeriousStudent
03-15-15, 19:59
Thanks for the lead on the stove, I will check him out.

HKGuns
03-16-15, 13:31
I picked up one of those pico sized grappling hooks as a result of this thread. Thanks.

HKGuns
03-16-15, 13:35
Not homemade. If you Google Ed T stoves, his stuff will pop up. Pretty simple design and works very well with a minimal amount of wood. He built mine to a specific cup/pot diameter.

He posts on hill people gear and 24 hour campfire.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/046.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/046.jpg.html)

PSA: If you google ole Ed and browse to his site, DO NOT install that flash download. If you need a flash update go to Adobe on your own please. That prompt just doesn't look right and that is a well known tactic of those who would invade your computer.

luckybychoice
03-17-15, 19:02
I carry a couple yo-yo fishing rigs and some split shot and hooks. The yo-yo rigs can be set up for fishing or set up for snare traps.

hotrodder636
03-20-15, 16:15
Glad I could be of help.

I picked up one of those pico sized grappling hooks as a result of this thread. Thanks.

PLA
04-10-15, 04:26
I thought what was in my fire kit was different but I guess its just my background

Potassium permanganate for sure, yes amazon

I also have sections of road flare ( Girl Scout Match) cut about 6 inches long and sealed with duct tape- when you need a fire in the rain, and when it rains in Az its raining, a spark shower from a ferro rod or ignition from butane lighter does the trick

A section of plastic tubing cut approx. 2 ft long with a 4 inch piece of 1/4 in copper pipe inserted. Its a blow tube to direct air to the ignition source in a tinder ball. Keeps the oxygen directed to the exact spot when its smoldering but not all the way burning. 2 reasons, first it keeps my face away from the produced flames and second it doesn't blow my tinder all over like blowing directly on it sometimes will. The copper pipe is used on the fire end so combustion doesn't burn up my blow tube

I also have one of those grappling hooks. I use it for recovering crayfish and minnow traps, if you tie one to the bank someone will steal it. If I would ever use a fish trap that's what the hook would be used for too.

weggy
04-10-15, 19:27
It's always interesting to see what some of the oddball type items folks carry in their packs/kits.

I'd say the strangest item I carry is a pencil sharpener. It makes short work of pines, and beats the hell out of carving up feathersticks by hand.

The other odd one is modified, waterproof sparklers.

Other than that, it's pretty much standard fare. Just curious to see what some of y'all are carrying that's atypical.
M&Ms, melt in your mouth not in your kit!

RamadiDoorkicker
04-26-15, 21:33
After a few tours in Iraq, I carry a tampon or two in my kit. I know it isn't the best compared to state of the art medical equipment but they work...

ST911
04-26-15, 21:47
After a few tours in Iraq, I carry a tampon or two in my kit. I know it isn't the best compared to state of the art medical equipment but they work...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?164741-Efficacy-of-Tampon-Sanitary-Napkin-Use-for-Hemorrhage-Control

Stuffel
04-28-15, 14:48
Dryer lint in the fire starting kit. Great lightweight tinder.

dentron
05-01-15, 17:55
Dryer lint in the fire starting kit. Great lightweight tinder.
Put some Vaseline in it and it will burn longer.

zombiescometh
05-01-15, 18:52
Dryer lint/cotton balls with Vaseline packed inside ping pong balls

larryp
01-09-16, 23:31
One thing I've found useful is a H&B tomahawk. http://www.hbforge.com/polled-axes/medium-camp-axe

EVR
01-21-16, 18:41
It shouldn't be an oddball item but evidently is.

Piece of rubber inner tube with one edge cut into fringe slices. Roll it up and put a waterproof match to it. Best firestarter ever made. You can light it and set it on the water and it'll keep burning.

I make my own parang knives and they, too are the most handy of field tools.

Where I live and what I do allows me to test a lot of stuff, and over the years I've weeded out a lot.

jbjh
01-21-16, 19:13
Door stop (usually 2). Started putting them in my pack after taking CERT training. Now I have the things everywhere. Even out in the woods, I'm surprised at how often I use them

Sent from 80ms in the future
Jimmy

tb-av
01-21-16, 20:24
Door stop (usually 2). Started putting them in my pack after taking CERT training. Now I have the things everywhere. Even out in the woods, I'm surprised at how often I use them

Jimmy

Ha!, they would be great for this place, the wind is always blowing the doors shut.

http://www.celebritybrideguide.com/photos/jason-mraz-569.jpg

Shao
01-22-16, 08:07

Jimmy

Sorry, but what would you use a door stop in the woods for? In case you wandered upon a well-kept cabin in the woods or something? For the life of me, I can think of any other use for a door stop in the wild. You could always carry a hatchet or large camp knife and make a door stop out of a piece of wood or something...

jbjh
01-22-16, 09:50
Sorry, but what would you use a door stop in the woods for? In case you wandered upon a well-kept cabin in the woods or something? For the life of me, I can think of any other use for a door stop in the wild. You could always carry a hatchet or large camp knife and make a door stop out of a piece of wood or something...

The wedge is one of man's oldest tools. I've set them behind knives while baton cutting wood, used them to level corners of the grill (from underneath with a bit of wood to keep cool), hold something open after I've pried or lifted something up - they're just a bit thicker than my hand. It's a pain in the ass to make a wedge by whittling, and some desert places I get to don't have any wood just lying about.

Shao
01-22-16, 10:27
The wedge is one of man's oldest tools. I've set them behind knives while baton cutting wood, used them to level corners of the grill (from underneath with a bit of wood to keep cool), hold something open after I've pried or lifted something up - they're just a bit thicker than my hand. It's a pain in the ass to make a wedge by whittling, and some desert places I get to don't have any wood just lying about.

Good points all around. What kind of door stops do you carry? I don't imagine the polymer ones would withstand much batoning.

jbjh
01-22-16, 11:53
Generally whatever is cheap on sale. The hard rubber ones out of the industrial catalogs are good.

I suppose hardwood wedges that weren't too wide would work. Some of my buddies on the fire department keep them on their jackets when they go inside the building. But they push them underneath the door using a hammer or axe. The thing that keeps me from using them, is remembering how poorly they kept doors open when I was a kid in school.

Jimmy

jbjh
01-22-16, 11:56
Ha!, they would be great for this place, the wind is always blowing the doors shut.

Just so you know, nearly spit coffee all over my kids homework this morning when I saw this!

+1 Internets for you sir.

Jimmy

tb-av
01-22-16, 12:19
Just so you know, nearly spit coffee all over my kids homework this morning when I saw this!

+1 Internets for you sir.

Jimmy

That place is located very near me. Not sure if you know who Jason Mraz ( singer/songwriter ) is, but that is his wife. That place is located near where he grew up. They got married there last year.

Mr blasty
01-22-16, 13:39

The glycerin that's needed with it is very useful as well. Glycerin is good as a laxative, stain remover, lotion, sweetener, preservative and is very useful for making your own soap (actually very easy to do in the bush). I carry potassium permanganate and glycerin as well. One of the most important and most versatile things in my kit. I also Cary a small container of lard (any fat will do). It's good for rust prevention (it's what I maintain my axes with. No rust, even in pissing rain or snow), leather and fabric waterproofing/conditioning, takes the place of butter for cooking, will work as a weapon lubricant (no it's not my go to. I run slip 2k but it does do the job just fine) and goes liquid as it heats up, good as a skin/lip balm, and a hundred other uses. It's cheap, easy and renewable if you kill something and render it's fat.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

RobertTheTexan
01-23-16, 00:36
Good points all around. What kind of door stops do you carry? I don't imagine the polymer ones would withstand much batoning.

I've already made them from a 2x4 using my skilsaw. Not that I've cut an entire 8' 2x4 into wedges, but I'd venture to say you could make enough for all your bug out bags and then some.[emoji846]. I have kit that is at home and kit I travel with. When I travel it's always by air so I have to get creative especially in the personal defense side. I do carry a couple of polymer door stops in my bag to use in my hotel room. Never have actually needed them but I carry them nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coastwatcher42
05-20-16, 16:58
I have photos of my family in my BOB/emergency bag. Although sentimental reasons play a role in why I carry them, they also serve a practical purpose. If, God forbid, I am separated from them in an emergency situation, I will have photos of them to show around to help me find them. Of course this will only work if I'm in a populated area but it is much faster, easier, and more accurate than trying to describe them verbally.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers and thumbs

RobertTheTexan
05-20-16, 17:16

I use dryer lint packed in toilet paper tubes. Also another way to use the dryer lint or cotton balls too, is to take cardboard egg cartons, separate the 12 cells & stuff each one with dryer lint wrap some dental floss around. And dip in paraffin wax. The balls are waterproof and you don't have to worry about cross contamination. Not as easy as Vaseline and cotton balls though , that's for sure.

Lost River
06-08-16, 14:05
Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/KLR%20ride%20June2016/IMG_1165_zpsbbbdc36q.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/KLR%20ride%20June2016/IMG_1165_zpsbbbdc36q.jpg.html)

Snugpack Ionosphere 1 man tent

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/KLR%20ride%20June2016/IMG_1154_zpsxotrfy1h.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/KLR%20ride%20June2016/IMG_1154_zpsxotrfy1h.jpg.html)

Jimbeaux82
06-14-16, 07:23
While not that unusual, here are a couple very useful things that I carry

JB Weld - I can fix nearly anything with it

Large rat trap - best thing made for catching squirrels

Cyalume sticks - need light for more than just a little while?

small tea candles - much easier to make a fire once lit

double yes on the yo-yo's

w3453l
07-07-16, 21:41
I remember reading an article somewhere about a guy going away for work to relatively dangerous/third world country. I remember he listed the things he packed in his one backpack. The one thing that stood out to me, and I thought was a good idea was a pack of candy.

His reasoning was that it can be used to give as a sign of good gesture when coming across someone with language barrier.

EVR
07-07-16, 21:45
I remember reading an article somewhere about a guy going away for work to relatively dangerous/third world country. I remember he listed the things he packed in his one backpack. The one thing that stood out to me, and I thought was a good idea was a pack of candy.

His reasoning was that it can be used to give as a sign of good gesture when coming across someone with language barrier.

That's for sure!!

In these parts the best "candy" I could produce would be a brick of .22 ammo or a case of beer!

XM177E2
07-08-16, 20:01
Mk.13 Flares (x2) and Mk.79 or M-201/P Gyrojets.

w3453l
07-09-16, 21:33
That's for sure!!

In these parts the best "candy" I could produce would be a brick of .22 ammo or a case of beer!

I like your thinking

carbine357
07-22-16, 11:20

means its an automatic fire starter with nothing else needed but tinder. do it in a controlled area (concrete driveway) its a sure fire starter. been used by campers and military for years. before all the new whiz bang ways were invented. IF U TRY THESE: caution. keep them separated in glass bottles. when I carried it, I used 1oz glass bottles and put THEM in a plastic bottle. good kit

carbine357

daniel87
07-22-16, 12:53
means its an automatic fire starter with nothing else needed but tinder. do it in a controlled area (concrete driveway) its a sure fire starter. been used by campers and military for years. before all the new whiz bang ways were invented. IF U TRY THESE: caution. keep them separated in glass bottles. when I carried it, I used 1oz glass bottles and put THEM in a plastic bottle. good kit

carbine357
on youtube a guy cut two bottle caps with the threaded portion and used a plastic disk as a space then epoxyd them. seems like a good compact method

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

threeheadeddog
08-02-16, 17:09
I have lately been carrying a pencil sharpener. Partly because its usefull and partly because it was all "cheating daddy" when I pulled it out and showed the kids how fast I could make shavings(after they had been slaving away for 10min with a mora).

Just to clarify I use it on pencil sized twigs. I have been looking for one of those pencil sharpeners for those huge novelty pencils though because I think it might be more useful.

strambo
08-21-16, 17:44
Sweet KLR and Tankvest Lost River!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/bstrambo/IMG_0821_zpszzww0pz9.jpg (http://s111.photobucket.com/user/bstrambo/media/IMG_0821_zpszzww0pz9.jpg.html)
I always have a small bottle of iodine tabs, they saved my ass (and the group I was with) once.

ggp2jz
09-05-16, 22:14
I have lately been carrying a pencil sharpener. Partly because its usefull and partly because it was all "cheating daddy" when I pulled it out and showed the kids how fast I could make shavings(after they had been slaving away for 10min with a mora).

Just to clarify I use it on pencil sized twigs. I have been looking for one of those pencil sharpeners for those huge novelty pencils though because I think it might be more useful.

http://m.staples.com/Charles-Leonard-2-Hole-Metal-Pencil-Sharpener/product_975836

Det-Sog
09-06-16, 13:24
Dang... Never thought of using a pencil sharpener. Good idea. I'm going to have to start carrying one of those in the camping bag.

tb-av
09-06-16, 15:24

here ya go.... https://www.amazon.com/Novelty-Cucumber-Sharpener-Kitchen-Vegetable/dp/B00JR40ZX2

Pointman1177
04-27-17, 12:18
flexcuffs....never know when you need them as heavy duty zip ties.

threeheadeddog
04-30-17, 17:29
here ya go.... https://www.amazon.com/Novelty-Cucumber-Sharpener-Kitchen-Vegetable/dp/B00JR40ZX2
Haven't checked this thread in a while. That is awesome. I will be buying one next time I make and amazon order.

Also I never thought about it as odd until yesterday when I was mentioning it to a someone but I keep several of those elastic wrist braces (just a long piece of elastic about 3" wide with Velcro on the ends) in my kit. They are in the kit to help compress stuff like my down puffer jacket, and hold together pieces of kit like tins of stuff. When I get where I am going I use them for everything from cozies for my stainless steel water bottle to holding wooden sticks together for taller tarp poles. I originally kept them because I have issues with my knees, and if I walk on rocky terrain for more than a few miles I appreciate one wrapped under my knee. Over the years they have been used for rolled ankles(my wifes and mine) and they would be very useful for a splint if it came to it. I would guess that I have 3-6 in my kit at all times.

Spin Drift
06-09-17, 14:49
While not that unusual, here are a couple very useful things that I carry

JB Weld - I can fix nearly anything with it

Large rat trap - best thing made for catching squirrels

Cyalume sticks - need light for more than just a little while?

small tea candles - much easier to make a fire once lit

double yes on the yo-yo's

The rat trap is excellent. No kidding, never even gave that a thought. And, works both ways, dinner, or varmint control.

blade_68
07-02-17, 09:04
Cheap solar light.
FYI metal rat traps have teeth I have 4 great for tree rats and can use as alarm.

bushcraftdave
08-04-17, 02:43
I have a little fire kit and I love bringing fatwood. I have a fire piston that I'm still trying to figure out

DBCDave
08-04-17, 09:58
A Hershey Bar. Will get you thru roadblocks, across borders, and out of jail.

SeriousStudent
08-04-17, 16:25
I have a little fire kit and I love bringing fatwood. I have a fire piston that I'm still trying to figure out

Did you make the piston or buy it? I have seen them on eBay, and have been thinking about trying one out. They do look interesting.

tsalagi88
08-21-17, 13:51

Wisdom. But where to buy...?

SeriousStudent
08-21-17, 19:20
Wisdom. But where to buy...?

You can find it on eBay, they will ship you all you need. A pound is usually under 20 bucks shipped.

You can also find magnesium ribbon there. It's a lot more useful than those magnesium blocks. Ever try to shave flecks off of one, in a windy rainstorm while your hands are numb? I have, and it sucks. And not in a good way, either.

Adding a few strips of magnesium ribbon to your kit actually weighs less, and is a lot easier to use.

RobertTheTexan
08-21-17, 19:41
You can find it on eBay, they will ship you all you need. A pound is usually under 20 bucks shipped.

You can also find magnesium ribbon there. It's a lot more useful than those magnesium blocks. Ever try to shave flecks off of one, in a windy rainstorm while your hands are numb? I have, and it sucks. And not in a good way, either.

Adding a few strips of magnesium ribbon to your kit actually weighs less, and is a lot easier to use.

I found it, in a one pound container. Loudwolf brand. Do you have a brand you prefer? Thx!

SeriousStudent
08-21-17, 20:11
Nope, I have used several different sources. I have never noticed any real differences.

You used to be able to buy big tubs at a swimming pool supply store, but no longer.

GunsCarsBikesCigars
08-21-17, 20:50
dental floss unflavored, rubber gloves and condoms

RobertTheTexan
08-21-17, 20:55
Got it. I ordered a pound. I also saw on for magnesium ribbon, one post was selling aluminum powder and black iron oxide powder. Interesting stuff to be had on eBay.

tsalagi88
08-21-17, 21:47

Adding a few strips of magnesium ribbon to your kit actually weighs less, and is a lot easier to use.Good copy, thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
08-21-17, 22:30
Got it. I ordered a pound. I also saw on for magnesium ribbon, one post was selling aluminum powder and black iron oxide powder. Interesting stuff to be had on eBay.

Sweet baby Harambe, I hope they don't ship all of that in the same box.

RobertTheTexan
08-22-17, 01:48
Sweet baby Harambe, I hope they don't ship all of that in the same box.

1LB Al powder and 3LB Black Iron Oxide powder and 75' of magnesium ribbon.

When I did a mouse-over the "Buy It Now" button I swear it said NSA red flag. Lol

JasonB1
08-23-17, 14:17

Triple antibiotic ointment in lieu of the Vaseline will burn also while adding another function.

Small bottle of alum to cause cuts to clot up faster.

PattonWasRight
08-23-17, 14:40
Pocket sized crossword puzzle booklet ... if stuck somewhere helps relieve boredom. Doubles as a way to leave someone a coded message or to store passwords & ID numbers.

VARIABLE9
08-23-17, 15:47
It might be a bit heavy, I've been looking for a lightweight version to no avail. A Silcock Key.

https://www.amazon.com/Jones-Stephens-J40-005-Four-Way/dp/B000DZKYVC/ref=pd_sim_469_3/147-5596361-5031247?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000DZKYVC&pd_rd_r=TPYNM7PP3TXKSPMA8NAA&pd_rd_w=I90Ld&pd_rd_wg=vWMrm&psc=1&refRID=TPYNM7PP3TXKSPMA8NAA

the_master_midget
09-26-17, 01:57
roll of electrical tape. can be used to make a splint, semi waterproof bandage, protect your muzzle from debris on your firearm. light weight and can be used to lash items together if your out of line. it has more uses than other adhesive tapes.

Tortuga
01-02-18, 19:22

Great piece of kit, I love demonstrating its' virtues to students in the field. I'm surprised how little it is mentioned in most survival references.

SeriousStudent
01-02-18, 19:37
Great piece of kit, I love demonstrating its' virtues to students in the field. I'm surprised how little it is mentioned in most survival references.

Yup, we did some stuff with the Brits a long time ago, and they showed us how to use it.

I have had some around ever since.

Tortuga
01-03-18, 17:49
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Brit that introduced us to it years ago. Up until the past couple of years we had an exchange program where a Brit SERE specialist would get stationed with us and we would send them one of our parachute riggers.

SeriousStudent
01-03-18, 19:51
Yeah, this was in Hong Kong before reversion. I think it was 1985? Two of the guys we were chatting with were Royal Marines, and the other guys were Ghurkas who patrolled the Chinese border.

We traded them some aluminum Japanese bento boxes for use as survival kit containers, and swapped Ka-bar's for kukri's. They gave us some potassium permanganate in a deal for some magnesium ribbon we, uh..."found" aboard ship.

They got the better part of the deal - the kukri I got was a cheap Indian POS that rusted back on Okinawa. Live and learn!

Dr. Bullseye
01-04-18, 12:31
Mosquito net. I got a $2.00 head net at Walmart. It pulls over a hat or ear muffs. During certain periods flies are a problem and mosquitoes can be a problem too. It wads up, weights what, one once?

elephant
04-30-18, 04:14
I have been stranded before. About 1.5 hours away from the nearest gas station. I was stranded for only 2 days but still, with no phone signal or electricity I learned enough to always be prepared. My girlfriend was building a tiny house, out in the middle of nowhere where land was super cheap. It was a cabin on 22 acres to go to on the weekends where I could ride motorcycles, shoot, and just be in the country and stare off into the night sky. The house was only in the framing stage so no roof, walls, windows etc.Just her and I and a 4 door sedan.

You know on old dirt roads, the area where years and years of tires going over are lower than the middle part and my car bottomed out on one of these roads. 11 miles from the nearest county road. The road I was on didn't have a name and wasn't listed in my Garmin or my car navigation. No phone signal, no help, just us out there with a stuck car and all 4 wheels where about 4 inches above the ground.

Luckily I had a few things. Cigarettes, a bottle of water and Dr Pepper that we got on the way out there and a blanket my girlfriend used when we went to see a movie. That's it. I honked my horn about a hundred times and the sun was already going down when we were leaving so I didn't want to wonder off too far with flip flops.

Monday morning came and were helped out by an old man on a tractor on his way to bale hay.

Monday afternoon I went to REI and purchased 4 Life Straws, flashlight, glow sticks, rain jacket, travel pillow, travel blanket, 4 ways to start a fire, solar charger for my phone, JetBoil camping stove, and some Mountain House 3 day survival MRE's. I got a few other things later on like electric tire inflator, one of those military folding shovels and a survival hand crank radio. I have changed certain things, added other stuff and withdrew things.

But the most unconventional - uncommon - unique item I have in my kit is probably my fire hydrant wrench. I figured if I need good clean, old fashioned city water, I can get it.

SeriousStudent
04-30-18, 20:17
Best survival gear ever? A deck of cards.

As soon as you realize you are lost, just pull out the deck of cards and start playing Solitaire.

Within minutes someone will look over your shoulder, and without being asked will say "The red jack will go on the black queen."

Presto - you are rescued!

LMT Shooter
04-30-18, 22:12
Red Man- the last thing I want if I'm in a bad spot is an itch I can't scratch. If you have a tobacco habit, I recommend having what you favor in your kit. Obviously this will increase your need for water, so act accordingly.

tb-av
05-04-18, 09:21
I have been stranded before. About 1.5 hours away from the nearest gas station.

Man you need a HAM radio. with all that stuff you bought, what if you had been injured instead of just stuck? You would still be SOL.

tb-av
05-04-18, 09:41
After reading this thread and buying a few things. Rethinking a few things. ... and just having so many 'things' that I don;t use that often or hardly at all.

The most unusual thing I am going to add is an instructional manual that is written in my words with large type and photos. Waterproof storage on paper and pdf.

Why large type.... all of the manuals seem to like microscopic type these days and if I were to lose my contacts or glasses they are useless to me.
Why pictures... same thing.... I may not have time to recall 'what goes where'.
Why not just re-write the manual?... Because I want it in my words. After learning the 5 step manual way. I want the two step real world way.

There are so many things we use that it's near impossible to remember how everything works. What if I remember there is a trick to figuring out what time of day it is, or how to reset a certain device. Well I don't have time to read through a survival book.

So that's going to be my addition. My spare brain that remembers the things I have available to me and how to use them quickly and safely.

I had to go to a forum,that then referenced my owners manual, on how to reset a 'service due' on my 4Runner that took me say an hour to 'remember' a 10 second sequence of pushing buttons. If I had my own survival manual, I could have solved that issue in 2 minutes.

... and the worst part would be if someone else had to use your gear to save you and they had everything they needed but no instructions.

So I have come to believe that everyone's gear bag should have an owner written instruction manual that practically anyone could read quickly and utilize.

Caduceus
07-14-18, 10:37

Old quote, but it's the vaseline you need. Skip the cotton balls if you want. I've smeared Neosporin from my FAK onto tinder and it works the same.

PattonWasRight
07-14-18, 10:49
Old quote, but it's the vaseline you need. Skip the cotton balls if you want. I've smeared Neosporin from my FAK onto tinder and it works the same. Nice, never would have thought about the Neosporin as a fire starter had you not mentioned. I guess that's true of any similar antibiotic/vaseline-based ointment, and they all seem to be

Eurodriver
12-31-18, 08:36
Condoms and anti-biotics... you never know what kind of STDs will run rampant after the SHTF. :D

This is a good idea.

K-Dero
01-05-19, 08:55
An old metal spile for tapping trees as a back up means for gathering water.

3 AE
01-09-19, 00:38
Five hundred dollars in Ones, Tens, Twenties, Fifty's. I want to be able to buy my way out of trouble as quick as I bought my way in to trouble!

LMT Shooter
01-09-19, 08:34
Five hundred dollars in Ones, Tens, Twenties, Fifty's. I want to be able to buy my way out of trouble as quick as I bought my way in to trouble!

Same here, plus 5 $100 bills

1_click_off
01-11-19, 20:08
Superglue. Closes up deep clean cuts nicely. Plus several other uses, but this works like a quick butterfly bandaid.

Buckaroo
01-11-19, 22:55
Superglue. Closes up deep clean cuts nicely. Plus several other uses, but this works like a quick butterfly bandaid.Super difficult to keep after being opened. This is my only disagreement. If you have a solution I am all ears! I keep mine taped up right on the back wall of the refrigerator. (inside the unit) but this is the only way I have found to make it last more than a month after opening.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1_click_off
01-12-19, 07:32
Super difficult to keep after being opened. This is my only disagreement. If you have a solution I am all ears! I keep mine taped up right on the back wall of the refrigerator. (inside the unit) but this is the only way I have found to make it last more than a month after opening.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have had better luck with the loc-tite brand in the gel type if you want it to last. Get it in the hard plastic container, not the foil tube. Think of it more of a disposable cold pack if you like. One and done, but really nice for the one. Light weight and doesn’t take much room.

rhughesnc
01-16-19, 15:21
Don't forget the glycerin

coachjenorris
07-06-19, 21:04

I never heard of this. I will definitely be checking this stuff out. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coachjenorris
07-06-19, 21:06

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. Your post reminded me of using this and I will be putting some of these in my bag. Thanks

robbins290
10-03-19, 13:42
being a woods guy, i have all the standard stuff to keep you alive.

But i carry packets of salad dressing. So smothering meat while cooking animals/meat i have gathered. Any thing will taste good loaded with Italian dressing on it. And works with all meats and fish. I replace every 6 moths or so.

flenna
10-03-19, 16:20
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. Your post reminded me of using this and I will be putting some of these in my bag. Thanks

Another good fire starter:

Cut cardboard egg carton into individual cups. Fill with dryer lint and then melt wax over it.

A little bulky but they will burn longer than the Vaseline and cotton balls.

teufelhund1918
10-22-19, 07:46
While it's not paracord, I put a pack of waxed dental floss in with my stuff. Handy when needing to lash little things together and handy for small repairs. Can be used as thread also. It's pretty strong.

Dave James
10-22-19, 07:59
Had forgot all about potassium permanganate, it was a god send in the RVN, will have to find it, the only other thing besides the normal so to speak is an Alaskan Ulu, after learning to use one I like it better they my knifes for field work