PDA

View Full Version : Old school Beretta 92F

Leonidas24
03-02-15, 01:48
So I picked up a new (to me) Beretta 92F that I've had my name on for the past 4 months finally, and am looking for some advice on how to bring it up to a modern standard. A quick back story on this gun: since I've worked for this particular LGS for the past year and a half I've come to know a lot of very loyal, local customers. A few have become good friends. One such friend was Mark Goldstein, who'd been a good customer long before I started working there. We became decent friends and went to the range together fairly often and swapped reloading advice with eachother; he was much more of a collector than I and I enjoyed shooting the large inventory he usually hauled to the range with him.

Moving forward to October 2014, while ferrying a KingAir down to Arkansas on a contract (he was a private pilot) his aircraft experienced engine failure and the plane crashed into one of the buildings at Mid Continent Airport. He along with several occupants of the building were killed. We volunteered to take in his estate of guns and ammunition to sell for the family to help them out with funeral costs. To say the least Mark had some amazing firearms; a Costa M&P, a couple Sig X5s, an SBR SCAR-H, and others, yet I didn't know he owned a Beretta 92F. I'd been eyeballing a Beretta ever since Wilson began doing work on them last year. Apparently Mark had regulated it to safe-queen status after being told to move forward into the 21st Century after bringing it to a class in a drop leg Bianchi universal holster, and I don't blame him for doing it either.

Nonetheless the gun in question was manufactured in 1986 and purchased in 1987, making it a year older than me. It was the right price, and in very well-kept condition, so when the time was right I laid down the cash and made it mine. I do have plans to turn it into somewhat of a memorial gun, but I in no way plan on babying it or putting it away in a shadow box. Mark wouldn't want it and it's too awesome of a gun to do so.

The plans thus far are to have Wilson tune the action, replace the sights, convert to G configuration, add a short reset trigger, and checker the front strap. After that the slide, frame, and barrel will be refinished at Black Fire Ordnance in TNT-BN. I also want to have "Mk. G" engraved on the slide to complete the memorial aspect of the gun.

My question is, outside of doing all that which in all honesty probably won't happen for the next year, what can I do to bring it up to carry standards myself? I've got 500 rds on the gun thus far and am thinking of at least replacing the barrel. The grips are probably going to also be replaced by VZ slants when they'll email me back on other color options. Outside of those two things should I look into overhauling the internals and springs?

BBossman
03-02-15, 05:54
Detail strip, clean and inspection. Install a current generation locking block and new springs. Shoot it and enjoy it.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Pappabear
03-02-15, 13:41
I sent in the slide and had G conversion done $150. Then buy the other items as money permits. You should be able to do it yourself or have a friend do the remaining work.

KalashniKEV
03-02-15, 16:30
...what can I do to bring it up to carry standards myself?

Safe queen Beretta 92?

Nothing.

Leonidas24
03-02-15, 16:45
Safe queen Beretta 92?

Nothing.
It was no safe queen for 22 years. I don't know how many rounds were put through it before he put it away but without a doubt this gun was shot a fair amount.

Renegade04
03-02-15, 17:10
I would not do a thing to it. Just keep it as is. If you want a more modern Beretta 92, just find a good deal on a used 92FS and have it worked the way you want it. I would not bastardize a 92F. It is seldom that you ever see one for sale. I would love to add a 92F to my collection.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/015_zpscc2655c2.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/015_zpscc2655c2.jpg.html)

Kain
03-02-15, 17:19
Detail strip, clean and inspection. Install a current generation locking block and new springs. Shoot it and enjoy it.

This would be my thoughts. If it is an older Italian Beretta 92, I would just make sure it is in good working order and enjoy it. If you are wanting to take a 92 and turn it into a carry/combat rig I would be more inclined to buy a new production model and then having it worked over. Actually I am not inclined at all, it is what I am doing. I have an Old 92SB that is a wonderful Italian 9mm, shoots scary accurate, smooth as hell, and wonderful blued finish. While I would carry it if I had to, it would not be the choice of carry for a few reasons, and with Beretta bringing out current production G models I would look at investing in one of them.

KalashniKEV
03-02-15, 19:24
It was no safe queen for 22 years. I don't know how many rounds were put through it...

I must have misread your post.

Then maybe I'd re-spring it if it makes you feel better, but an M92 is the definition of a pistol that needs no aftermarket pimping to be duty ready.

The only possible thing I would even consider changing is the sights, but then the design precludes that without dovetailing the FS.

125 mph
03-02-15, 22:02
If it were me I'd get a new recoil spring, a D spring, and call it good.

Can I ask why the new barrel? Is the current one shot out?

Leonidas24
03-02-15, 22:48
If it were me I'd get a new recoil spring, a D spring, and call it good.

Can I ask why the new barrel? Is the current one shot out?

It'll be a threaded barrel for shooting suppressed primarily, but also to eliminate any potential issues with the original. I have noticed some interesting chatter marks on the locking block along with some peening above and below the extractor cutout on the barrel itself. The current barrel doesn't show any erosion that I could see.

JonInWA
03-03-15, 07:42
I'd simply replace the recoil, slide stop, all magazine, trigger bar and trigger return springs, properly lubricate it and call that quite good.

Best, Jon

03-03-15, 11:44
I carried concealed and shot a 92F in IDPA for many years. I wore out an extractor, replaced it and kept going. New springs and a D main are what I did. Might want to look at a new locking block but mine was fine.

Uni-Vibe
03-06-15, 20:01
Trade it for a Browning Hi-Power, if you expect to find yourself on the two-way shooting range.

Leonidas24
03-07-15, 01:46
Trade it for a Browning Hi-Power, if you expect to find yourself on the two-way shooting range.

Wow you're helpful. K thx bai.

Slater
03-07-15, 09:24
Did the older 92's have chromed bores or was that started in the 1980's?

ramairthree
03-07-15, 09:51
Clean, lube, shoot should be fine.

Replace recoil spring, trigger spring,
Put in new locking block and D-spring would be very well prepared.

If you are going to be shooting high powered NATO subgun ammo with a suppressor a lot, consider having the slide machined to accept the larger hammer retaining pin of the FS.

WC trigger job, VZ grips, and G conversion will make for a top of the line gun,
that since it has personal meaning for you and will be a lifelong possession, are reasonable but unnecessary.

BBossman
03-07-15, 11:13
Yes, if memory serves me, the chrome lining began with the 92 SB-F, which was the final submission for military trials and became the M9 and the civilian 92 F.

Did the older 92's have chromed bores or was that started in the 1980's?