PDA

View Full Version : LA police shooting (Video)

RIDE
03-02-15, 09:03
http://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoerner/video-shows-los-angeles-police-shooting-homeless-man

Thoughts?

TAZ
03-02-15, 10:31
Can't really see squat from the video. Typical, camera steady till the action needs to be seen clearly. Then all shaky and such. Can't get sound either for some reason.

Article insinuates the guy went for a cop's gun after being taken to ground. If so its a play stupid games; win stupid prizes moment for the homeless dude. Need more info. Although the homeless dude looked pretty whacked out before being taken to ground.

THCDDM4
03-02-15, 11:19
http://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoerner/video-shows-los-angeles-police-shooting-homeless-man

Thoughts?

Well, here's what I saw/heard:

1) crazy bum who appears to be either mentally ill or intoxicated resisting arrest and throwing wild punches gets taken to ground.

2) whilst on the ground he is actively resisting; without being able to really see myself- he apparently gets ahold of one of the officers firearms.

3) LEO's give verbal command for him to drop the gun at least three times whilst tazing him, he gets a shot off ( it has to be him because no LEO had drawn a firearm at this point from what I can tell) an officer then takes a step back draws on him, fires three shots and he is incapacitated.

4) a bunch of idiots start yelling at the LEO's a bunch of idiotic shit acting as if they know anything about what's going on when it is obvious they do not.

5) Black guy filming starts calling the black officer a sell out and asking cops to put down guns as if he would do something to them if on equal footing to fight if they would just put down their guns...

Was a good shoot from what I can tell; lots of morons in the vicinity; one filming the video seemingly the biggest moron in the group.

Averageman
03-02-15, 11:26
Unless someone has some better footage its going to be a clean shoot. After all of the wittness statements are taken it will become six Cops with a very similar story -vs-three dozen Hobo's with wildly different wittness statements.
The only difference between this and Ferguson is that the shooter appears to be a Black Cop -vs- a Black Hobo with six other Cops as witnesses. Will that stop Rev Al and the FSA from looting LA?
Doubt it.

I really could be a Cop, just watching this made me want to wade in there with a billy club and start doing dental work on those slugs.

Averageman
03-02-15, 11:29
Well, here's what I saw/heard:

1) crazy bum who appears to be either mentally ill or intoxicated resisting arrest and throwing wild punches gets taken to ground.

2) whilst on the ground he is actively resisting; without being able to really see myself- he apparently gets ahold of one of the officers firearms.

3) LEO's give verbal command for him to drop the gun at least three times whilst tazing him, he gets a shot off ( it has to be him because no LEO had drawn a firearm at this point from what I can tell) an officer then takes a step back draws on him, fires three shots and he is incapacitated.

4) a bunch of idiots start yelling at the LEO's a bunch of idiotic shit acting as if they know anything about what's going on when it is obvious they do not

5) Black guy filming starts calling the black officer a sell out and asking cops to put down guns as if he would do something to them if on equal footing to fight if they would just put down their guns...

Was a good shoot from what I can tell; lots of morons in the vicinity; one filming the video seemingly the biggest moron in the group.

Now, now, I'm sure it's hard to have a good handle on current events after doing three or four shots of Sterno to start the day, Poor Hobo's.
That being said I believe they were in pursuit of a theif.

Sam
03-02-15, 13:29
Here we go again ...

Get ready for the next riot L.A. ... burn that mofo down ! DOJ and 1600 Pennsylvania avenue are going to send their representatives to the funeral ....

We've seen this movie before.

Eurodriver
03-02-15, 13:35
I was wondering when LAPD was going to be back in the news.

Isn't their agency larger than NYPD? Aside from the Dorner fiasco they've done a pretty good job of balancing officer safety with community respect.

Coal Dragger
03-02-15, 14:10
I try to avoid having encounters with the police, even though I friends that are LEO's; however one good way to not get shot by the cops is to do what they ask you to do within reason. Like you know, not resisting arrest.

Bad things happen to dumb assess.

interfan
03-02-15, 14:23
I try to avoid having encounters with the police, even though I friends that are LEO's; however one good way to not get shot by the cops is to do what they ask you to do within reason. Like you know, not resisting arrest.

Bad things happen to dumb assess.

The real problem is that the mentality with most 'thug' idiots is that if you don't resist - you must be an informer. There's no street cred. in cooperating 'cause snitches get stitches. This is one of the reasons that UOF incidents are rising and the common thread in suspect deaths.

Chameleox
03-02-15, 16:54
Isn't their agency larger than NYPD?

Third largest non-federal agency behind New York and Chicago. Fourth overall if you count the FBI(#2 or 3).

diving dave
03-02-15, 17:55
There was recent survey done by a organization that puts on street survival seminars for cops, and the question asked was how many Officers these days would recommend law enforcement as a career . A whopping 80% replied no. Times they are a changing. I just retired after 25 years of it and I'm happy to be out.

Irish
03-02-15, 20:43
without being able to really see myself- he apparently gets ahold of one of the officers firearms.

How did he get ahold of the officer's gun? Did his holster and firearm retention techniques both fail? Was the officer disarmed with his firearm in hand?

Looked like a giant cluster**** to me and I couldn't see much of anything other than dude attempting a whirling dervish and a bunch of dudes trying to pile on. Hopefully the security cameras will provide a better picture of what happened.

jpmuscle
03-02-15, 20:48
Any body cams present?

THCDDM4
03-02-15, 21:07
How did he get ahold of the officer's gun? Did his holster and firearm retention techniques both fail? Was the officer disarmed with his firearm in hand?

Looked like a giant cluster**** to me and I couldn't see much of anything other than dude attempting a whirling dervish and a bunch of dudes trying to pile on. Hopefully the security cameras will provide a better picture of what happened.

It was a cluster**** and very hard to tell what actually happened. I am not sure if he DID get ahold of an officers gun or not honestly, or how he did if it indeed went down that way.

My post was describing to my best ability what I could see and hear from the video; which wasn't too much.

I'm waiting on more info and evidence, but from what I could make out, admittedly mixed with some assumptions on my part based on what we do have to go off of at this time- it is seemingly a good shoot.

I watched and listened to the video many times and as hard as it is to make out what's going on, it does seem as if he got ahold of a gun somehow, with the single shot fired almost simultaneously with what sounds like him being tazed; and then a slight pause followed by one of the officers returning three shots.

I could be completely wrong here, but with what I had to go on in The video/audio, this seemed the most plausible.

I am very interested to learn more of what happens and hope they have some better footage to look at.

26 Inf
03-02-15, 21:07
According to LAPD several other sources for video including CCTV and body cam.

HKGuns
03-02-15, 21:18
You can see him holding a gun if you freeze it at 15 & 16 seconds into the video.....shortly followed by drop the gun shouted several times.

Good shoot.

C-grunt
03-02-15, 23:34
I'm not sure what holster LAPD issues but many departments issue a plain leather type holster with a thumb snap strap retention. Most cops buy a better holster but many do not. Those holsters are not terribly hard to get a gun out from.

26 Inf
03-03-15, 00:16
Here is a story with video substantiating attempted gun grab:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/LAPD-Skid-Row-Shooting-Death-Video-Investigation-294676431.html

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-03-15, 01:29
One of our Deputies was killed in 2011 with his own firearm. Scuffle on the ground involving multiple Deputies/Officers and perp. Guy was able to defeat Safariland Lvl II and fire the Deputy's 1911 into his neck and vest, all in a split second.

It CAN happen, despite training and proper gear. If it begins to happen, it's automatic lights out for bad guy. Good shoot? We'll see after the investigation.

If bystanders and "civil rights shouters" wanted to keep people from being shot by the police, they would step in and help apprehend the subject instead of filming and yelling like animals. Getting someone into cuffs can save their life; the police are not apt to losing fights...

The best quote from the article:

Anthony Blackburn, the man who recorded the shooting, told CNN that he didn’t see the homeless person reaching out for an officer’s gun, contradicting the police’s version of events. “Why didn’t they simply “shoot the man in the leg?” Blackburn said. “He’s already on the ground.”

God must love idiots. He sure made a lot of them.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-03-15, 01:47
Just watched it again on full screen. You can see him grab the officers gun from his holster. You hear, "He's got my gun!" and then a single gun shot. An officer jumps out of the way and looks at himself as if he was just shot. Good shoot? Oh hell yes.

The best place to fight the police: the courts. The worst place: the streets.

Averageman
03-03-15, 05:46
http://www.aol.com/article/2015/03/02/los-angeles-police-shoot-kill-man-in-fight-caught-on-video/21148213/
Video showed the homeless man, whose name has not been released, reaching toward the rookie officer's waistband, Beck said. The officer's gun was found partly cocked and jammed with a round of ammunition in the chamber and another in the ejection port, indicating a struggle for the weapon, Beck said.

"You can hear the young officer who was primarily engaged in the confrontation saying that 'He has my gun. He has my gun,'" Beck said. "He says it several times, with conviction."

Then three other officers opened fire.

The man was black, as is the rookie officer who was just short of completing his probationary year on the force, police said.

Irish
03-03-15, 08:43
Here is a story with video substantiating attempted gun grab:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/LAPD-Skid-Row-Shooting-Death-Video-Investigation-294676431.html

Thanks for posting that.

Alex V
03-03-15, 09:03
I honestly don't know if I could keep my composure when having insults hurled at me by scumbags like those officers did. I have to give them credit. I might have taken the baton and cracked one of them right across the mouth. I have no idea how they can remain that calm.

austinN4
03-03-15, 13:16
..............the rookie officer who was just short of completing his probationary year on the force, police said.
I wonder how that is going to work out for him now?

Averageman
03-03-15, 18:37
I don't knopw how that will work out for him, I'm certainly thankful that during the fight for the gun it had been cycled enough times to double feed during the fight.
This guy was French and had done time for Bank Robbery. He probobly learned a bit more about his trade in prison.

SkiDevil
03-04-15, 03:17
The attrition rate for rookie LAPD Officers is high.

Working the Skid-row beat is a tough assignment. There are many shit heads there in a concentrated area.

From the the local coverage and limited release of information (2 Officers were wearing Dept, issued body cameras) it appears to be justfiable homicide. Does it look bad? Yeah.

If the shooting is ruled within policy, then those Officers involved should likely suffer no repurcussions.

As another member pointed-out, being a Patrolman or street Cop will never be the same in this age of cameras and technology. A very difficult and thankless job.

LAPD is approximately 10,000 Officers.

Averageman
03-04-15, 05:18
http://www.aol.com/article/2015/03/03/man-killed-by-los-angeles-police-was-wanted-by-us-marshals/21149283/?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-sb-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D622320

Axel Cruau, the consul general for France in Los Angeles, said the man stole the identity of a French citizen and was living in the United States under an assumed name. He had applied for a French passport in the late 1990s to come to the United States to "pursue a career in acting."

Using the name Robinet, the man was identified as a French national in 2000 when he was convicted of robbing a Wells Fargo branch and pistol-whipping an employee in an effort to pay for acting classes at the Beverly Hills Playhouse.

Eurodriver
03-04-15, 06:56
http://www.aol.com/article/2015/03/03/man-killed-by-los-angeles-police-was-wanted-by-us-marshals/21149283/?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-sb-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D622320

Axel Cruau, the consul general for France in Los Angeles, said the man stole the identity of a French citizen and was living in the United States under an assumed name. He had applied for a French passport in the late 1990s to come to the United States to "pursue a career in acting."

Using the name Robinet, the man was identified as a French national in 2000 when he was convicted of robbing a Wells Fargo branch and pistol-whipping an employee in an effort to pay for acting classes at the Beverly Hills Playhouse.

See the images? "Body cameras won't stop police murders"

I though that's what they wanted? You know, because cops were shooting unarmed black people just minding their own business all the time. So they got cameras and the footage shows dudes trying to kill cops beforehand and now they want something else.

austinN4
03-04-15, 07:24
...............and now they want something else.
And they always will.

Vandal
03-04-15, 08:37
I honestly don't know if I could keep my composure when having insults hurled at me by scumbags like those officers did. I have to give them credit. I might have taken the baton and cracked one of them right across the mouth. I have no idea how they can remain that calm.

I had a dude in my backseat talking shit for a solid hour, everyone is a badass in handcuffs. I was trying not to laugh half the time. Oddly enough he stopped talking when we got to the jail.

One of the guys I work with is former LAPD and knew at least one of the guys involved. He was saying it looks to be a good shoot with the right people going home.
Grab a cop's gun and you can expect to get smoked.

RIDE
03-04-15, 09:58
....Grab a cop's gun and you can expect to get smoked.

This. It's pretty simple.

Campbell
03-05-15, 03:49
I watched it with the sound off a few times{did not care for the play by play}, it is fairly easy to see the whole dynamic of the struggle change as frenchy starts touching something he shouldn't. It goes from trying to gain control to as said above, getting smoked.

Averageman
03-05-15, 05:09
I'm wondering if Rev Al's jet turned around mid flight somewhere over Omaha when he found out this guy was a bank robber and wanted by the US Marshall's?

Mauser KAR98K
03-05-15, 06:53
So why was this guy not deported after released from prison?

NCPatrolAR
03-05-15, 11:56
He had developed roots in the community and amongst his victims

kwelz
03-05-15, 16:07
Hard to tell from the video honestly. Guy was down but that hardly makes him a non threat. Zoomed out shot with no detail in a melee like that isn't much to go on. Multiple threats to the police in a crazy situation like that... I am sure the armchair quarterbacks will come out of the woodwork.

sevenhelmet
03-05-15, 16:44
So why was this guy not deported after released from prison?

In this day and age? I take it the question is rhetorical...