PDA

View Full Version : My 604 project, finally!

Donut
03-02-15, 11:05
After 9 months, I finally got my 604 clone together. There's an easter egg/minor oops of sorts in one of the photos in the link... 3 internets to the first one to figure it out. Aaaaaand... GO!

http://copper-jacket.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/6041.jpg (http://copper-jacket.com/wordpress/2015/03/01/retro-ar-build-colt-604usaf-m16/)

http://copper-jacket.com/wordpress/2015/03/01/retro-ar-build-colt-604usaf-m16/

Renegade04
03-02-15, 17:02
Very nicely done. Doing a retro AR the right way can take a while. 6 months to 2 years is a good average, depending on the difficulty of the build. 601s are getting more difficult to get parts for unless you are prepared to fork over some serious cash for the parts. I spent nearly 3 years on my XM607 before I could take it out and shoot it. A little over 2 years acquiring all of the parts and having the stock installed on the lower and another 8 1/2 months waiting on my tax stamp. My XM177E2 took almost two years. Most of the others took about 8 months to a year. I love the retro ARs. That is why I have a few of them.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/010_zpsf5a46f51.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/010_zpsf5a46f51.jpg.html)
Retro Clone Models: XM607, XM177E2, 653, 723 (early), 723 (late), 727, 602, 603/M16A1, and a 1977 Colt SP1

Donut
03-02-15, 18:32
That, right there, is why I won't touch a retro carbine. Once you dip your toe in those waters, it turns into... THAT. I can handle a 604, a 603, and an A2, and I can rationalize not doing a 601 or 602. But the carbines... that could be a hole I'd never get out of.

Renegade04
03-03-15, 07:50
That, right there, is why I won't touch a retro carbine. Once you dip your toe in those waters, it turns into... THAT. I can handle a 604, a 603, and an A2, and I can rationalize not doing a 601 or 602. But the carbines... that could be a hole I'd never get out of.

I understand exactly where you are coming from. It is kind of like eating Lay's potato chips, no one can have just one. Once you get started, it is harder to stop. In 2004, I bought my first AR. Over the years, I have owned nearly four dozen. I have built close to three dozen. I currently own 30 of them and another already in the planning. Once bitten, it is hard to shake them. As for retro ARs, there are so many variations of the carbines, not so many of the rifles. In building these retros, you basically need to learn all of the little details for each model in order to build a correct, or close to correct, clone. There were times I almost gave up on my XM607, but I stuck with it and was rewarded. That is the same with every retro I have done. Pride in accomplishment and ownership. I would say that for many, just having a 603 and/or a 604 would be more than satisfying and rewarding. Personally, I would like to build a 604 to add to my collection. I am getting ready to embark on an 20" A2 Gov't build. I had one several years and sold it to a friend of mine that was looking for one. Anyhow, when getting into the retro ARs, just step in one foot at a time. Make sure it is something you want to start. Make sure you are aware of the resources that are available where you are able to acquire the parts and services needed. Also, have patience. That is the main thing.

Donut
03-03-15, 11:34
I suck at patience, but I love to obsess over details. I'm a little pissed at myself for pussing out on the BCG and going with the later variant to save time and money. I really didn't think it would bug me this much, (notice the dust cover is tightly closed in every photo. LOL) and I might very well still end up with a slick chrome BCG because... well... just because.

Renegade04
03-03-15, 13:49
I suck at patience, but I love to obsess over details. I'm a little pissed at myself for pussing out on the BCG and going with the later variant to save time and money. I really didn't think it would bug me this much, (notice the dust cover is tightly closed in every photo. LOL) and I might very well still end up with a slick chrome BCG because... well... just because.

I know what you mean about details. My 602 has a DPMS slickside chrome carrier that I picked up from a guy on ARFCOM a few years back. I recently changed the BCG in my XM607. I had a Colt M16 BCG, but the build really called for a chrome M16 type carrier w/ serrations. I searched high and low for a carrier like that, but was unable to locate one. I ended up buying a WMD NiB-X M16 carrier and putting it in there. Before it came in, I had contacted a resource of mine to see if he has a chrome carrier like what I was looking for. It turns out he did and it will be here next week. So, I can put the chrome carrier in there that should be there and use the WMD BCG in another of my ARs. Trying to be correct can be a pain and costly, but it is worth it in the long run. Trying to find a chrome slickside carrier is going to be a chore. They are hard to find these days. I hope you have good luck and run across one that does not cost you an arm and a leg.

BTW, I just put some feelers out to see if I can locate a chrome slickside carrier for you. Will let you know what I come up with.