PDA

View Full Version : Is Reloading Really a Good Idea?

w3453l
03-02-15, 18:54
Hello,

For a while I've been wanting to get into reloading; I read the stickies here, and I enjoy browsing the reloading sub forums.

I was about to make the jump into getting a setup and components a little over a couple weeks ago. Then a wave of stupidity came out of nowhere, but I don't want to turn this into a thread about that; I think we all know what I mean.

So now the question I have is this: is reloading really practical for someone to start today? I get that a lot of people have large stashes of components saved up, and I see that certain things like powder aren't the easiest to come by.

My main reason to get into reloading would be to save costs on ammo. I'd be reloading .223/5.56 and 9 mm. .357 magnum and maybe .45 Auto would be possibilities in the future.

I see conflicting comments saying reloading is more for the "hobby" aspect these days vs saving ammo costs, but then there's always the occasional "I can get that for 22 cpr reloading vs buying it for 35 cpr" every now and then.

I have enough money for a decent reloading set up right now. At the same time I can use that on quite a bit of factory ammo instead right now. Either way I just don't want to be left with no ammo during the next shortage.

As of now I have just under 3k of .223 and a few thousand of 9 mm. So I have something, but it's not a comfortable amount in my opinion.

Thanks for any advice

punkey71
03-02-15, 19:09
Depends how much you shoot.

I shoot about 5-8K of 9mm a year. I load it for about .10/rnd. Makes sense for me.

.223 is next. I will start that in a few months. I only shoot about 3-5K .223 per year but I'd like to load some hunting rounds and range ammo. Range ammo will be at about .18 per of 55 ball. Not a huge savings TODAY, but if ammo prices go up or I start shooting more it will be very worth it. Both of those are likely IMO.

For me the key to reloading savings has been buying bulk components when prices are cheap. I have years worth of components on hand. 1. It's cheaper 2. I don't sweat ammo scares - I shoot my normal amount and then load up on components once the scare is over.

Lastly, while I don't mind reloading and I do find it interesting, I certainly don't enjoy pulling the handle for hours. Keep that in mind. If you are time limited or think you'll hate it just buy ammo in bulk.

Just one guys opinion.

Harold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rcoodyar15
03-02-15, 19:20
Hello,

For a while I've been wanting to get into reloading; I read the stickies here, and I enjoy browsing the reloading sub forums.

I was about to make the jump into getting a setup and components a little over a couple weeks ago. Then a wave of stupidity came out of nowhere, but I don't want to turn this into a thread about that; I think we all know what I mean.

So now the question I have is this: is reloading really practical for someone to start today? I get that a lot of people have large stashes of components saved up, and I see that certain things like powder aren't the easiest to come by.

My main reason to get into reloading would be to save costs on ammo. I'd be reloading .223/5.56 and 9 mm. .357 magnum and maybe .45 Auto would be possibilities in the future.

I see conflicting comments saying reloading is more for the "hobby" aspect these days vs saving ammo costs, but then there's always the occasional "I can get that for 22 cpr reloading vs buying it for 35 cpr" every now and then.

I have enough money for a decent reloading set up right now. At the same time I can use that on quite a bit of factory ammo instead right now. Either way I just don't want to be left with no ammo during the next shortage.

As of now I have just under 3k of .223 and a few thousand of 9 mm. So I have something, but it's not a comfortable amount in my opinion.

Thanks for any advice

If just saving money is your only reason I think not. You would get tired of the reloading process and your equipment would sit unused.

If you want better quality ammo than you can buy, if finding the absolutely most accurate bullet/powder combo for your rifle interest you, If you just want the ability to create your own ammo then yes

Colt guy
03-02-15, 19:22
I love to reload in fact will be loading 45acp in the morning.

You won't save a dime reloading (hate to pop your bubble) but you will more then likely just shoot more.

And its great to be able to shoot even if most ammunition is sold out.

Get a couple of books do some reading, then find a person to go thru the process with you.

Any questions ?

IraqVet1982
03-02-15, 19:35
I can generally buy cheap steel cased 223 for less then I can reload. But I can reload 9mm, .40, and .45 for less than I can buy it; especially .45.

Specialized and uncommon cartridges are also a lot less to reload once you have brass.

Pistol is easiest to reload.

Overall if your time is worth anything it's cheaper to buy. If you want a hobby, it had it's benefits.

sevenhelmet
03-02-15, 19:41
I kicked the idea of reloading around for a while, but realized I'd never save money. I simply don't shoot enough to save money, mainly due to lack of time with job + family, which also means less time for reloading. Availability of components seems subject to the same frustrating lunacy as the factory ammo market. I even have a good friend who quit reloading because he wasn't saving any money, despite shooting every weekend. Reloading does look interesting, but only as more of a hobby and time investment, not an economic or material boost.

Kain
03-02-15, 19:46
Just started reloading recently. Of course this was in due partly due to the fact that I picked up a single stage RCBS rock chucker for $50 plus full sets of carbide dies for 9mm, .45, and .38/,357 for $10 a set, and a set of 30-06 for $10 as well. Need dies for .308, 5.56, and a couple other calibers. I also picked up a progressive MEC shotshell reloader for $25, which I have been using since I run a lot of 12 gauge at clays with the old man. Is it worth it? Well, if you shop around, are shrewd in what you buy, and patient, yes I think you can save a few bucks on ammo, over time, because lets be honest start up is a bitch, but if you don't shoot enough to justify it then it may just not be worth the time or effort. I like tinkering, reloading is in someways a cheap way for me to screw with shit, better than building another AR, and lets me justify putting more rounds down range. I also have a number of calibers, more than I really need, but it is what it is.

Now, all that said, do I think now is a bad time to get into reloading? No, not compared to two years ago, and if you are willing to put in the time and do shoot enough that a few bucks a hundred rounds can add up then I say go for it.

nate89
03-02-15, 19:51
This is only my experience, so yours may vary; just another data point to consider. I got into reloading to save money, that was the only consideration. I'm still a student, so money is a little tight, and every little bit helps when the savings may be the difference between being able to take a class this year or or not. I will be getting primers for $22/1000 online (by buying in bulk). I have a supply of cases, so I consider those are free. I load 9mm 124 grain bullets with 4 grains of titegroup (1750 rounds loaded per pound), which is just over 1 cent per pound. Finally the bullets can be had for 6-8 cents each depending on where you look (black bullets, xtreme, berry's etc.). I have a local guy who is coating lead bullets with hi-tek and charging $50/1000 if I buy in bulk. I would think it's pretty hard to find loaded 9mm ammo for less than $9/box of 50, which I am loading for way less. .05/bullet, .02/primer and .01/powder throw is 1000 rounds for 80 bucks or $4 s box. You are going to save even more with .38 and .357, as long as you can get cases, because factory ammo for those are usually more than 9mm, but cost about the same to load. Rifle ammo is a little different for me. Comparing my 55 grain FMJ reload price to steel cased wolf, it's about a wash as far as price.

I have come to enjoy just sitting down and loading for an hour or so, it's relaxing and a chance to think about something else besides work or school for a bit. If you ever have any questions, I've found reloaders are generally some of the most helpful people you will meet. I've had older guys who have been loading longer than i've been alive spend copious amounts of time helping me figure things out when I was getting started.

Quiet-Matt
03-02-15, 20:01
If just saving money is your only reason I think not. You would get tired of the reloading process and your equipment would sit unused.

If you want better quality ammo than you can buy, if finding the absolutely most accurate bullet/powder combo for your rifle interest you, If you just want the ability to create your own ammo then yes

I'll echo rcoodyar15 on this one. I do it for the challenge of creating the "ideal" load, more than the cost savings.

sevenhelmet
03-02-15, 20:07
The idea of creating and testing loads does interest me, so I might get into reloading eventually. I'm just not in a hurry, and I don't want to do it in the middle of yet another market panic.

.46caliber
03-02-15, 20:17
I reload with my father, so the hobby aspect certainly plays a role for us.

Our CPR doesn't really beat bulk 5.56 prices, certainly not el cheapo Eastern Block steel case. But our 55gr FMJ range fodder is far more consistent as each charge is weighed on the RCBS Chargemaster.

We do save money on the more expensive rounds. I can load 50 rounds of 70gr TSX bullets for hunting for little more than the cost of 20 factory rounds of the same. Plus I can dial the charge to really perform out of my barrel.

I think one of the most important practical benefits is being able to weather shortages and panic buys. Stack the components deep and when shelves go dry, I'm still shooting and not touching my factory stash.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ryno12
03-02-15, 20:41
I don't think it's ever too late to take up reloading. It's especially handy when corrupt politicians & wacko gun nuts tip over the apple cart.

125 mph
03-02-15, 21:28
Getting into reloading only makes sense if you'll enjoy reloading. If you just want to save money, you're better off just shopping smart for common calibers like 9mm and .223.

I dig reloading, I'd do it even if it cost me the same as buying factory ammo because I control the quality of my rounds this way.

Onyx Z
03-02-15, 21:30
When you start loading match ammo, you really start to see the savings since any kind of match ammo is $1+ a pop. I can load them for less than half that. Plus you control the quality and can find a sweet load that really shines in your rifle. I honestly think my match grade loads are held to a much higher quality standard than anything you can buy. And I'm sure most will agree about their loads as well.

As for bulk ammo, it gets really tiring on a single stage. Load 50 or so at a time and it's not bad. I still do it because there are definite savings involved. But 90% of my loading and shooting is match grade stuff, so the savings really add up.

Components that work well can be found fairly easily, you just have to look around and possibly wait a few weeks. I really don't have any problems finding 223 powder or SR primers these days. If you want a specific powder, you might not be so lucky, but a powder that will work well is not hard to find at all. Bullets might be a little more tricky to find at times like these though.

texasgunhand
03-03-15, 01:03
I just got into it about 3 months ago,i can load damn near 100 6mm remington for the price of one box of 20,and i can pick the weight of the bullets. As far as 9mm i load for two and the difference is i get great ammo for 9 or 10 bucks a box verses the American eagle i can buy for $12 a box or so that isnt even hot enough to seal the chamber properly.

Ive spent probably $1700 or so on all the stuff and now have everything i need to load thousands of rounds. You have too figure in the price of equipment, powder, bullets , primers and brass etc. It adds up but once you have it , you have it and it should last you a long long time. I was beginning to think i was going a bit over board,and probably did, but now that ammo seems to be disappearing again it makes it worth it, iam set up to load 9mm,.45,.223/5.56, and 6mm remington.

Plus you can always still buy factory ammo to shoot and you can reload the brass and shoot it again. It will take a bit to learn how to do it,but with this place,books and you tube it makes the learning pretty easy really. Its not that hard just precise, since i am used to building engines and spending time doing precision stuff it doesnt bother me i bought a small tv thats wifi ready so i just sit there and mess with whatever and watch netflix for hours in my back room. You can make it fun and very peaceful.

With the elections comeing and .223 ammo flying off the shelves iam glad i did it. If you ever start up you will see just how crappy that cheap ammo really is and you will learn alot of different things you probably didnt know and thought you did all these years, I did.

Also for you guys that dont have netflix and like to watch tv and movies ,get it, its awsome 8.99 a month and watch whatever you want basically when ever you want.i love it. In the middle of watching Magnum PI one episode after another and no damn advertisements. TOTALLY worth it. I only wish i would have gotten it years ago,so nice calling Direct TV and dropping my 100 a month down to basic, sorry to get off topic.

w3453l
03-03-15, 12:27
Thank you everyone to all the replies; all of the posts were great to read.

While saving on ammo costs is certainly a plus, I guess I forgot to mention that to me just having access to ammo at all times is the most important. Even if it means paying just as much as or a little more than factory ammo.

I do get some down time at different points in the year like Winter etc. and I can always find a few hours in the weekend. Time isn't an issue, as I enjoy doing maintenance checks or cleaning my guns; it's relaxing, and I've always had an interest in different ammo performance.

A question I have is: have powders always been this scarce? I mean I know pre-Obama/Sandy Hook things were better all around, but is there currently another craze that just developed on reloading components due to the whole M855 BS? Or has it been like .22 LR where it's just been constantly scarce?

Also, around about what would you say is a fair price for 8 lbs of H335 or H110? I'm seeing close to ~$180 at most places and sold out. Is this normal, or just a sudden spike in price? For ex. I'm seeing XM855 for ~55 CPR which is just stupid.

Thanks very much again

Off Topic: Netflix is good, but their selection just keeps shrinking. Check out the foreign films though; there's lots of really good movies that aren't in English, but I'd say they're better than most American films I've seen.

Onyx Z
03-03-15, 12:55
Both of my local powder retailers are selling 8lb of any powder @ $200+. No hazmat fees though, so take it as you will. Some online shops are charging $200+ with hazmat fees on top... that's just insane.

I just bought 8lbs of H110 from Powder Valley at <$150. They didn't post a new shipment on Facebook like they normally do, so out of pure luck, I have some on the way. And I feel like I got a fair price on it too. I've seen kegs of H110 in stock 2-3 times in the last month, so it is coming back around. You just have to keep your eyes open and subscribe to email and Facebook alerts. Better be quick though, they sell out in minutes.

To me, "fair prices" are what Widener's and Powder Valley are selling powder for. They didn't raise their prices much after Sandy Hook. Widener's seems to be more reliable to have powders in stock and Powder Valley is the most popular supplier in the nation, so it can be hard to find through them. Sometimes you get lucky though... :)

masan
03-03-15, 12:58
It seems that powder is getting slightly easier to find (slightly...).

Here is an interview done by the Powerfactor Show guys with Chris Hodgdon from Hodgdon Powder about powder supply about 7 months ago. It is a long interview, basically about how the demand for powder is so high that manufacturers cannot keep up with demand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jphEvE3IXkw

Powder Valley has H110 listed at $142.50 for 8lb jugs and $165 for H335 (both out of stock atm)

http://www.gunbot.net/reloading/Powder/ is a good way to try and jump on in stock items

markm
03-03-15, 13:40
Reloading pays of most if you like doing it. Everything else falls right in place if you're happy doing it.

texasgunhand
03-03-15, 16:39
Look for local places,theres a guy down the road from me that has tons of powder. Then thers no doubt if it there just walk in and look,thats how i get mine,i dont buy 8 pounds at a time i just buy it when i find it for a reasonable price,it cost more but not when you figure in hazmat and shipping.

weez440
03-04-15, 21:58
for me i am starting to get into reloading for a few reasons. i am slowly buying the components as i can afford them, and have been saving my brass for a while.
1. it might not be a huge savings now but what about 5, 10, or 25 years from now? hunting rounds for my 7mm wsm were 25 dollars a box 9 years ago and are over 40 for the same thing.
2. for the hobby aspect, i enjoy shooting, hunting, cleaning guns and believe i will enjoy this.
3. after the learning curve it will be nice to know what works best in what gun and what i want to do with that gun, getting the most out of my firearms.
4. quality control!

yellowfin
03-04-15, 22:15
Pistol is real savings for me, as is any rifle bigger than. 223, which even itself becomes a bargain when doing 69 and 77gr loads. It lets me turn cold, rainy, and any other otherwise useless days into useful time. And now I even got a press for my wife to run right next to mine so we don't lose time that is important to spend together.

SteveS
03-04-15, 22:23
1976 one of my friends brought over to my house a complete loading set up with a RCBS Rock Chucker press. By 1991 I had enough of the single stage and bought a complete Dillon 550 press. In todays dollars it amounted to about $500.00 for my initial purchase. 24 years already !! That is $20.84 per year, $1.74 per month for the press set up. I load about 8,000 rounds per year of pistol. I have loaded in the past 223,308,30/06, 300 Weatherby mag as well but I am out of rifles I have more fun shooting pistols. Loading is fun and a progressive press makes good use of your time.

cosme9242
03-04-15, 22:24
To the OP, that's an extremely loaded question. If your a causal shooter (once a month) and are just trying to save a buck then no its not. If you shoot comps then yes. For me I enjoy it so getting to shoot more often because I've always got ammo on hand is the biggest plus

duece71
03-05-15, 06:26
For me, it was about shooting more for less $$$$. I also see it as a hobby as the one thing that isn't really quantified is YOUR time engaging in loading round after round. I enjoy it, I like the challenge of creating better, more accurate ammo. If I can shoot more, I can become a better shot.....That was what I wanted out of it. I agree, if you are only going to load and shoot a 100 rounds a month....probably not worth it. Money savings for me comes from loading thousands of rounds, not hundreds.

Whytep38
03-05-15, 10:33
Whether you save money or not depends on several factors. One is when you buy the tools and components. If you buy them when the cycle bottoms out, or near to it, you can save quite a bit because prices on components, tools, and factory-made ammo tend to trend upward over time, and they spike when the government looks like it's attempting yet another squeeze on the 2A.

Another factor is whether you buy in bulk or just what you need at the moment. I buy 2-3 years worth at a time, so I can ride out the cycles while getting bulk discounts at the same time.

Then there's how much you value your time. Assuming you can go into a store and pick up a box of the ammo you want - versus spending the time to set up your tools, buy and prep your components, and then make your ammo - you probably aren't saving any money.

However, there are also non-monetary benefits.

When a panic hits, you don't have to rely on what is or is not available at the store or whether the store will jack up the prices. I like reloading a lot for this reason.

Also, I can create loads that are more consistent round-to-round than factory-made. There's a surprising amount of variation in factory-made stuff, especially the cheaper-made foreign stuff.

I can tailor my rounds to my needs.

I can experiment with different loadings.

Even factory-made ammo produces a squib every now and again. If I do my part, that ain't gonna happen.

Reloading isn't my favorite hobby, but I enjoy it enough to make it worthwhile.

So for me, in sum:

Tool/component costs (in bulk) v. factory-made, you can save money.

Tool/component costs (in bulk)/value of time invested v. factory-made, you don't save money.

Tool/component costs (in bulk)/value of time invested/non-monetary benefits v. factory-made, reloading is worthwhile regardless of whether you save money.

caporider
03-05-15, 10:50
To echo others here, handloading for me is only beneficial for specialized calibers and match ammo, and the purpose is to maximize accuracy and performance, not save money. I really only handload 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 Grendel these days. Chasing .223 and 9mm brass is also a time suck that I'd rather not have in my life.

Frankly, case prep for rifle calibers is a pain in the a**, and that's coming from a guy that has a Giraud trimmer. The actual loading part, even on a single stage press, doesn't take that much time. I use a RCBS electronic powder measure/scale to keep things moving along and a Hornady Lock-n-Load single stage press that allows me to preset my dies and just swap them out to change calibers. I also buy and set seating dies for each of the bullets I use (I just have a couple per caliber).

To keep costs down on powder/primers, you ideally want to buy up to the 50lb limit on a single hazmat fee, so your per-order cost may be high but your per-unit cost will be lower. Finding stuff in stock is another challenge... Right now I'm on the hunt for Hodgdon CFE223 powder.

jmoney
03-05-15, 10:50
I own a dillon550b. Without it, I would never be able to shoot the amount that I do. I reload 9mm for considerably less than buying new. 556 I am set up for but have not loaded yet due to space issues at the house. Once we move in two months I will start making my own 77r loads. They will be about the same as buying plinking ammo but with berger tips and considerably more accurate.

Its worth it if you have time for rifles. If you shoot competition pistol frequently I don't see how you could not do it unless you are loaded.

TehLlama
03-05-15, 12:07
Reloading pays of most if you like doing it. Everything else falls right in place if you're happy doing it.

I keep hearing that this is true - but not that reloading pays for itself, (just as much money gets spent), just that what you pay in becomes a lot more useful.
I'm waiting on having a garage for two reasons - to build myself a Corvette Kart (ala Roadkill), and to start reloading 45ACP - which will lead to handloading 308 and 5.56 rifle stuff.

FloridaWoodsman
03-05-15, 23:56
Go ahead and give it a shot (so to speak). If this extension to the hobby doesn't do much for you, you can probably get most of your money back out of the equipment.

As to the cost angle, time is money. If you've got more time than money, it may be worthwhile.

As to seeing you through shortages, there are so many people loading now, the shortages hit them too. But it's one more alternative.

Personally, I like knowing what goes into my rounds. I like picking a low-flash, clean-burning powder with a burn rate appropriate for the length barrel I'm using. I like to load my own the way a parachutist likes to pack his own 'chute - zero defects. It's a great hobby for the obsessive-compulsive.

big_pErm
03-07-15, 10:27
For ME.. It has allowed me to shoot a whole lot more than when I was buying. Components have been a bitch to locate but when I do I buy in bulk.

Rifle case prep is a PITA...and almost doesn't make it worth it to me. I do case prep in large batches 1-2x a year to speed up the reloading process.

Pistol rounds is definitely worth it, if you can find an 8lb keg of your powder then you are set for a long time. I use the same powder for .45 and 9mm so the 8lb keg of unique is going to last a long time.

If you are really trying to save money and factor your time in then I doubt you are going to save money. For ME I hate watching TV, so when the kids are finally in bed I hit my reloading bench, turn on some tunes, and zone out reloading for a couple of hours. The monotony of the process is actually pretty therapeutic to me. I block everything out and just focus on the process. The Zen of reloading is what I like to call it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
03-09-15, 08:51
For ME.. It has allowed me to shoot a whole lot more than when I was buying.

No doubt.

Rifle case prep is a PITA...and almost doesn't make it worth it to me. I do case prep in large batches 1-2x a year to speed up the reloading process.

I've found that doing brass in Thumlers SS media tumbler lot sizes works best for keeping me from going nuts. (about 130 pieces at a time... once or twice a week)

opsoff1
03-09-15, 10:47
Personally it was all about accuracy for me and cost savings were always appreciated.
Crunching numbers - a few popular reloads are shown to illustrate -

.223 - 77gr
Low cost / accurate match load.
Rel 15 Powder: $.07
77 SMK Bullet: $.27
Fed 205M Primer: $.03
New LC Brass: $0 (I have a shit ton of brass)
Total: $.37/rd or $7.40 / box of 20.
This is less than 1/2 the cost of Federal Gold Medal and mine is more accurate.

.308 Palma
Varget Powder: $.16
155gr SMK Palma Bullet: $.32
RWS Primer: $.03
New Lapua Brass: $.68
Total: $1.19/rd or $23.80/ box of 20.
This is a first run - so brass bumps the cost up - the cost goes down substantially after - without getting in to depreciation, figuring the cost of the brass is all in the first loading and subsequent loads are free for brass cost - the total drops to $.51/rd or $10.20/box. Again HIGHLY tuned match grade ammo - that can't even be had commercially. If it was - cost would easily be in the $30+ / box vicinity.

.308 LR
IMR 4064 Powder: $.13
180gr SMK Bullet: $.0 (I acquired a huge stash of these years ago for nada)
LC Primed Match Brass: $0 (I acquired a huge stash of these years ago for nada)
Total: $.13/rd or $2.60/ box of 20. And this ammo will outshoot Mk316 all day long.
Granted this is an anomaly - but it represents what I load and save.

Last is a pistol load:
.45 ACP
Win 231 Powder: $.015
200gr LSWC Bullet: $.14
Fed LP Primer: $.025
Brass: $0 (I have a shit ton of brass)
Total: $.18/rd or $9/ box of 50.
Tuned accurate in my 1911's - and waaaay cheaper than I could buy over the counter.

The components that I do buy, are usually bought in bulk. (500rd boxes of bullet & 8lbers of powder) I also try to get in on club or group buys through my local ranges. When one starts factoring in S&H as well as Hazmat if you are buying on line - well the numbers sky rocket. As some have siad - if you are a low volume loader and are buying small quantities by mail - well a lot of these savings vanish. Also factoring in all the equipment - it can get pricey from a start up stand point. This is also the basis for advice I give to first timers - buy the best possible equipment you can afford as invariably, if you cheap out in the beginning, you end up buy better equipment over and over again.

Bottom line - reloading gives me what I want - accruracy and cost savings. I also really enjoy reloading.

Your results may vary.

Onyx Z
03-09-15, 14:12
.223 - 77gr
Rel 15 Powder: $.07
77 SMK Bullet: $.27
Fed 205M Primer: $.03
New LC Brass: $0 (I have a shit ton of brass)
Total: $.37/rd or $7.40 / box of 20.
This is less than 1/2 the cost of Federal Gold Medal and mine is more accurate.

What kind of velocity are you getting with this load? XBR is still my favorite powder out there, but I can get Rel 15 relatively easily here locally.

opsoff1
03-09-15, 14:21
What kind of velocity are you getting with this load? XBR is still my favorite powder out there, but I can get Rel 15 relatively easily here locally.

If memory serves - it is right under 2700. This through a Krieger 1/7.7.

w3453l
03-09-15, 21:49
Thanks again to everyone.

I'm trying to see in what order to buy everything, since I'll be starting from scratch.

Obviously components are going to get harder to come by as elections approach, but what about reloading equipment?

I know that I can't start without a press and all, but I realized it might be a better idea to spend my entire budget on powders/bullets etc right now. Then just go ahead and buy the actual press and reloading setup sometime next year.

Now this is just going off of past observation with ammo supply/price. I have a little ammo to get me by for now, but I'm sure I can get a decent amount of components right now as well.

Does this sound like a good idea? Or am I better off buying a setup and getting a far lesser amount of components for the time being?

I'm also of the thought that I rather buy once cry once in regards to buying the reloading setup.

cbx
03-09-15, 22:49
Off Topic: Netflix is good, but their selection just keeps shrinking. Check out the foreign films though; there's lots of really good movies that aren't in English, but I'd say they're better than most American films I've seen.
They just added a whole bunch of movies. Top gun, days of thunder, robo cop, brick mansions.

I'd day the exact opposite is happening.

I'm doing my homework for what will do what I want in a reloading setup. I'm tired of these ammo shortages.

big_pErm
03-10-15, 06:40
For the volume I shoot I've been happy with the lee classic turret press, also have a single stage RCBS rockchucker that I use for mainly for swaging .223 and low volume precision rifle loads.

If money were no object I would love a dillon progressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.46caliber
03-10-15, 07:00
Thanks again to everyone.

I'm trying to see in what order to buy everything, since I'll be starting from scratch.

I think starting with stockpiling components first is a fair plan. Equipment is usually easier to come by.

I say usually because my local reloading shop has been hit hard since the M855 proposed ban. All the RCBS shell holders have been wiped out in service caliber sizes.

This will also allow you some time to scout for some used equipment if you're not opposed. Our reloading bench has 3 single stage presses setup for different tasks. 2 are second hand.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk