PDA

View Full Version : Can selection & rifle length?

PatrioticDisorder
03-03-15, 05:50
If you had an 11.5 & 14.5 along with a SOCOM RC & Mini, which can would you run on which length and why? I ask because I originally planned to run the RC on the 11.5 and the Mini on the 14.5, now I'm second guessing myself.

firefighter37
03-03-15, 07:51
That, is exactly what I do, and I do it so the OAL is closer and I like the way it balances. When I put the big can on the 14.5 or 16, it puts a lot of weight out front. Sometimes I put the mini on the 10.5 or 11.5 for the shortest possible package. Usually its RC on 10.5 and Mini on 14.5.

TehLlama
03-03-15, 15:42
Shoot them both, mess with both. I have an M4S and 14th on a 10.5" and 16", and I actually shuffle them around a lot. The Mk18 w/ 4" reflex can is pretty useless, but great fun; the 16" with 5.75" can isn't that handy, but it's still lighter than a Mk12 (and does most of the same stuff), but the 'usual' configuration is the short can on the Recce and the longer can on the SBR.

Jwknutson17
03-03-15, 17:48
RC on the 11.5, Mini on the 14.5. This is what I do. While the mini is still fun on the 11.5 every once in a while, My RC lives on there. And the mini lives on my 13.7.

PatrioticDisorder
03-03-15, 18:34
RC on the 11.5, Mini on the 14.5. This is what I do. While the mini is still fun on the 11.5 every once in a while, My RC lives on there. And the mini lives on my 13.7.

I think this is what I'm gonna do, I'm a bit OCD about these things and didn't intend on sharing the cans among various hosts, but I think it crazy to buy more mini cans just to occasionally use on the 11.5.

AverajeJo
03-06-15, 17:27
Get a tavor and you don't need to have SBR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sparky5019
03-06-15, 19:39
Get a tavor and you don't need to have SBR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pardon me while I puke in my boots.

As to the OP, play with it and see which one shoots, sounds and FEELS better. You can always interchange when you have specific needs with each rifle.

Noodles
03-06-15, 21:16
Pardon me while I puke in my boots.

As to the OP, play with it and see which one shoots, sounds and FEELS better. You can always interchange when you have specific needs with each rifle.

Gah, pretty much! I don't mind the idea of the Tavor, except that it's 8lbs clean, has a terrible trigger, costs more than an SBR AR, doesn't suppress well, and isn't comfortable to use in unconventional positions... But yea, it's great at the range.

OP mess around with it, but it doesn't really matter. I have the 556-RC on my 12.5" and it'll go on my 11.5", all I really wanted was to end up with a gun that suppressed was similar to the feel of a 16" gun. The Mini and RC are close in weight and close in size, you aren't going to notice either imo. It's like 2oz and 1" or so.

AverajeJo
03-07-15, 16:22
[QUOTE=Noodles;2092429]Gah, pretty much! I don't mind the idea of the Tavor, except that it's 8lbs clean, has a terrible trigger, costs more than an SBR AR, doesn't suppress well, and isn't comfortable to use in unconventional positions... But yea, it's great at the range.

That's funny. IDF feels otherwise. But hey what do they know they are just bunch of guys that been at war for the last 70 years and developed it to solve the CQB/long range battlefield challenges.

I am sure the AR SBR is the answer. Lol

No wait, AR has a great trigger and it is great to suppress. :0)

Let's see. You have an option for the rifle that's shorter than most ARs at the same time it has a 16" barrel. Why not get an AR and pay $200 for SBR stamp and end up with the rifle that has a pistol lengths barrel and the fireball 4' around you when you use it. Sweet plan :0).

t15
03-07-15, 16:38
[QUOTE=Noodles;2092429]Gah, pretty much! I don't mind the idea of the Tavor, except that it's 8lbs clean, has a terrible trigger, costs more than an SBR AR, doesn't suppress well, and isn't comfortable to use in unconventional positions... But yea, it's great at the range.

That's funny. IDF feels otherwise. But hey what do they know they are just bunch of guys that been at war for the last 70 years and developed it to solve the CQB/long range battlefield challenges.

I am sure the AR SBR is the answer. Lol

No wait, AR has a great trigger and it is great to suppress. :0)

Let's see. You have an option for the rifle that's shorter than most ARs at the same time it has a 16" barrel. Why not get an AR and pay $200 for SBR stamp and end up with the rifle that has a pistol lengths barrel and the fireball 4' around you when you use it. Sweet plan :0).

To be completely fair, the izzys were fielding x95 prototypes without properly tuning the gas system and can barely get through a magazine. I really want to like the TAR, but I'll be waiting for a while yet. Not to mention how many 11.5 AR's they're using as well. Not certain, but I bet a lot of the mossad guys if given the choice are running AR's.

AverajeJo
03-07-15, 16:51
I have a different reports regarding the xm95 and tavor and it disagrees with what you said. Having said that, I have both tavor and AR and if I had to choose I would go with tavor. It is reliable and functions flawlessly with any ammo or magazines, suppressed or unsuperssed. At the same time being very compact and mobile.

Noodles
03-08-15, 00:02
I have a different reports regarding the xm95 and tavor and it disagrees with what you said. Having said that, I have both tavor and AR and if I had to choose I would go with tavor. It is reliable and functions flawlessly with any ammo or magazines, suppressed or unsuperssed. At the same time being very compact and mobile.

I believe there is another forum you might want to check out,

PatrioticDisorder
03-11-15, 09:15
Not sure how this thread got turned into a bullpup vs. AR debate, lol. I won't knock the Tavor but the AR is America's rifle & the AR SBR is 'MURICA's rifle! To own a Tavor and not an AR is simple unAmerican!

Anyway I finally had the muzzle brake on my 11.5 installed so I was screwing around between the RC and the Mini.... I have to say, the mini makes the rifle feel slick & the RC doesn't make it feel enormous or anything but it makes it feel bigger than I care for, I almost wish I'd bought all Minis; overall sound suppression be damned! To me these cans are so if I ever have to shoot inside without ear pro I'm not permanently deaf for life & with ear pro they become tolerable.

Taking my 11.5 with the RC & Mini and comparing it to my 14.5 Knights that doesn't yet have the Surefire MB installed and comparing to my DD V1 here is what I observed. The 11.5 with the RC is virtually identical in length to the 16" V1 (maybe a 1/4 inch shorter) and with the Mini it's a smidge shorter than the 14.5 Knights with stock flash hider.... Not to mention the mini just looks sexier on the gun!

My only concern now is how well the 11.5 & Mini combo suppress flash at night with Hornady GMX 55gr & XM193, I'm guessing the RC will do a better job, but I'm not sure by how much.

Jwknutson17
03-15-15, 18:54
My only concern now is how well the 11.5 & Mini combo suppress flash at night with Hornady GMX 55gr & XM193, I'm guessing the RC will do a better job, but I'm not sure by how much.

Just got back from a few night TX hog hunt. Used both the RC and Mini back to back on my 11.5. Using MK262 and M855. The mini does not have much flash at all. It does however does show very little on ever round. Almost like small sparks instead of a large flash. The RC showed very little first round. And zero on follow up rounds. Even waiting a little after the first round. Zero flash. Using the NVGs even with the mini didn't effect them. RC is better, the mini did a good job. Happy with both.

PatrioticDisorder
03-15-15, 19:09
Just got back from a few night TX hog hunt. Used both the RC and Mini back to back on my 11.5. Using MK262 and M855. The mini does not have much flash at all. It does however does show very little on ever round. Almost like small sparks instead of a large flash. The RC showed very little first round. And zero on follow up rounds. Even 10 seconds after the first round. Zero flash. Using the NVGs even with the mini didn't effect them. RC is better, the mini did a good job. Happy with both.

Thank you, pretty much confirmed what I auspected. Like you, I'm happy I have both!