PDA

View Full Version : Pre panic again

cosme9242
03-05-15, 09:59
Over the last week up here in Wa State I am fortunate to have some very good vendors that will even ship locally for free. He had an order canceled by the distributor for over 1 million 55gr bullets that was already paid for and the distributor did not give a reason. We figure they are prepping to jack the price up. I seen store shelves go bare over night up here.

Xtreme had over 1.4 million 55gr in stock on Mon afternoon and on Tues they showed out of stock. I was lucky that the other local vendor I go through still had 55gr 223's in stock so I'll consider myself lucky to have scored 1k for $71 shipped What are you guys seeing in your States?

TomMcC
03-05-15, 11:38
I buy ammo almost exclusively online, but yes the panic is going strong. It's the best of times and worst of times. As usual I'll have to wait out the fearful to get what I want.

Sasahara
03-05-15, 11:46
Locally here (North NJ) the prices have always been kinda crazy. Prices haven't jumped up that much but they are already quite high. I have enough to get by for a bit though. Been ordering online for the last year or so and got lucky the week before the scare and ordered 1500 rounds of 855 (which I don't even like that much). Have another thousand in the mail already of 193.

sevenhelmet
03-05-15, 11:53
Things are definitely a little crazy (read: stupid) right now, but I think this panic will die down somewhat in a month or two once we are out of tax season and people realize that ammo is still available (in the near term, at least).

Next year is likely going to be a doozy of a panic though- I would make hay while the sun shines.

Wish the gun/ammo market wasn't so edgy...

TomMcC
03-05-15, 12:11
Why next year?

sevenhelmet
03-05-15, 12:17
2016 is an election year, and not one which is poised to go well for gun owners in general.

w3453l
03-05-15, 12:31
I just hope this dies down before the end of Summer. So we can at least take a breath before all the talk about elections; that's what really ignites the panic.

It doesn't take an anti 2A politician's actions to cause a shortage. Most of the time it's just the mention of an anti 2A politician's name that makes the sky start falling. And almost always it's the same peeps in the gun industry that keep spreading the fear.

TomMcC
03-05-15, 12:43
Doh! Elections!!!!

opngrnd
03-05-15, 20:31
I'm not good on bullets yet, but I purposely purchased an eight pounder of rifle powder for the summer after the election. I know that by that time things will be in full hoarding mode, and that whatever you don't have by the time mid 2016 rolls around you might not see at all. Now, I'll still be purchasing things at the normal load as I go rate, but I'd bet I'm not the only one at this point preparing for the drought. I'm not hoarding and have no interest in resale, I'd just like to be able to get through the season uninterrupted.

cosme9242
03-05-15, 22:30
Most of the major stores up here have put a limit on what you can walk out with

NWcityguy2
03-05-15, 22:48
Always try to keep a good stock. I've still got about 2 years worth of 45acp reloading supplies I bought around the 2012 elections. When things went south after Sandy Hook, I got one last order in before everything dried up, but I would of gotten by without it. I'm just hoping that 8 lbs jugs of pistol powder make their return before the next full bore panic, they have been gone for too long. I'll be doing a lot more dry fire practice if they never return.

If you guys remember back to the last panic, there was about a 2 month period (after the 2012 election) where stock started to get harder to find but it was still out there. Then in a week, it was all but gone.

markm
03-06-15, 09:56
Last panic, Pappabear and I were the only ones shooting out in the desert. Our area usually gets pretty crowded on the weekends.

We'd been buying in bulk just because Pappabear is nuts.... so we had a good supply of components that kept us shooting as usual. We won't forget how nice that was.

Buy all you can when it's cheap. It doesn't go bad or lose value.

opngrnd
03-06-15, 10:03
After I pick up my next handgun and pay for my classes, my next order of business is to piece together my last upper and get as many bullets and primers as I have powder for. And probably another 8 pounder of CFE Pistol. It'll probably take me all summer to get it all, but it'll be worth it in 2016/2017.

sevenhelmet
03-06-15, 10:04
I just hope this dies down before the end of Summer. So we can at least take a breath before all the talk about elections; that's what really ignites the panic.

It doesn't take an anti 2A politician's actions to cause a shortage. Most of the time it's just the mention of an anti 2A politician's name that makes the sky start falling. And almost always it's the same peeps in the gun industry that keep spreading the fear.

This is an important point. We as gun owners can be our own worst enemy, and some folks in industry don't necessarily have our best interests in mind. The panic/downturn cycle is starting to get old. Not sure what any of us can do about it though, except stock up for the rainy times.

cosme9242
03-06-15, 15:19
[QUOTE=sevenhelmet;2092118]This is an important point. We as gun owners can be our own worst enemy, and some folks in industry don't necessarily have our best interests in mind.

Spot on, couldn't of said it any better. Huge profit margins to be had. It can back fire though. Surplus Ammo & Arms is local to me and after the last one they were selling 22lr Thunderbolt and P-Mags for outrageous prices. They used to be the go to around here and now the local gun community will have nothing to do with them. Most folks around here go to Rainier Arms now

ironmonster
03-06-15, 23:07
I was in Surplus Ammo and Arms last Saturday, It was a mad house, must have been 50 customers in the store and the line to check out was 8-10 people long. They where already out of M855 and prices on other .223 and 5.56 seemed high to me but not like some of the online prices I have come across.

Malig8r
03-07-15, 08:47
We'd been buying in bulk just because Pappabear is nuts.... so we had a good supply of components that kept us shooting as usual. We won't forget how nice that was.

Buy all you can when it's cheap. It doesn't go bad or lose value.

I agree. Just got 24 pounds of Hodgdon H 322 and 16 pounds of IMR 8208 XBR via FedEx. Averaged out to $22.45 per pound including hazmat and shipping. That should hold me over for a little while.

125 mph
03-07-15, 09:36
I was just looking for some defensive 9mm and 223/5.56 ammo, and pickings are slim.

Why is there panic now? Is this about the possible green tip ban?

Some gun owners can really piss me off sometimes.

cosme9242
03-07-15, 10:00
I was just looking for some defensive 9mm and 223/5.56 ammo, and pickings are slim.

Why is there panic now? Is this about the possible green tip ban?

Some gun owners can really piss me off sometimes.

Yes at first it was the potential Green Tip ban and then the media put "they are going to ban all AR ammo" spin on it and people have started to panic

ubet
03-08-15, 08:05
Was in scheels in billings last night, they had everything in stock. Powder, primers some bullets and a pile of 223 ammo. I jumped the gun in the beginning of the week and bought powder online, wish I would have waited I could have done better there last night. Oh well.

OrignalRECIPE73
03-09-15, 10:58
Haven't had to buy ammo for a little while, so I haven't done much researching. Working at a dealership had it's benefits with ammo so I bought and stocked up gradually over several years, and it's starting to look kind of grim now in the safe since I've left the store. What really gets my goat are the *ssholes that go to stores and snipe everything that they can and go hock it on armslist 2 hours later for more than what they paid for it.

TomMcC
03-10-15, 15:55
Now that the ATF has momentarily regained sanity, maybe things can settle down.

markm
03-11-15, 06:59
Now that the ATF has momentarily regained sanity, maybe things can settle down.

Widener's is so happy to have unloaded all those crappy SS109 bullets. :sarcastic: That was just the scare they needed.... lucky bastards.

TomMcC
03-11-15, 11:32
Were they sitting on the shelf forever? I don't know or haven't heard of anyone who actually loads these things. Around SoCal places to actually shoot this stuff is limited because of the perceived fire danger. I have some M855 but rarely shoot it.

markm
03-11-15, 11:36
I think they just had a huge shipment from PRVI. I bought some every so often... for blasting. But it always seemed like they were pushing themin the email blasts.

Malig8r
03-11-15, 12:31
Widener's is so happy to have unloaded all those crappy SS109 bullets. :sarcastic: That was just the scare they needed.... lucky bastards.

Mark...just think though...all those people buying the SS109 bullets are NOT buying 77 grain Nosler bullets!!!