PDA

View Full Version : M4C Bowhunters

MBtech
03-05-15, 13:38
Gents, I'm sure there are some bow hunters and archers here on M4C and I'm curious to see what archery gear you all are using these days.

I'd be interested to see what the M4C community is using for bows, rest, sights, release, quiver, arrows, broadheads etc...Along with practice and training habbits.

I am a long time bowhunter, I have been shooting bows for nearly 27 years now. I have been using the same bow now for almost 9 years and have just been keeping my cables and strings changed on a regular basis. So I'm a little out of date on a lot of the new technology available.

So what are you guys running? Post any pros/cons and pics of your tried and true performing equipment.

These things seem to have been changing as fast as cell phones lately in the lase 10 years.

Thanks, and I look forward to all of your input.

masan
03-05-15, 17:05
Putting myself through college on a swimming scholarship has left me with very... finicky shoulders so for my home state I have switched over to using a crossbow.

Tenpoint Turbo XLTII and Rage CrossbowX mechanical broadheads on Tenpoint Carbon fiber arrows.

Pros: Accurate (the Tenpoint scope is dead on with its BDC type reticle), very fast, simple, so far seems very rugged
Cons: Expensive initial purchase, heavier than my compound setup

I keep my old Bowtech Admiral compound bow at my brothers place in Montana (cannot hunt with crossbows on Montana). I shot PSE for years when I was younger and switched to Bowtech after shooting my brothers. The bow is amazing AND forgiving for me since I don't get a lot of practice on it. I do keep my old PSE Fire Lite set up to practice with at home if I am able to draw a Montana tag.

The PSE was set up with a Whisper Biscuit rest (meh) and old pin style sights (also meh). I have since set it up to mimmick the Bowtech with fiber optic sights (much better than pins) and drop away rests (amazing, like free floating a rifle barrel). I have been using my old Fletch Hunter release since I started shooting and have never found anything I like better.

mjgonzo
03-05-15, 17:34
2009 Strother Vanquish. 29/60
Rest - Ripcord Code Red
Sight - Sword Twilight Hunter
Arrows - Carbon Express Maxima Hunter
Strings - 60X Custom
Broad head - 100 grn Rage 2 blade

I shoot 50 arrows a day at least 4 times a week.

MBtech
03-05-15, 18:03
I should have stated what I've been shooting.

2006 Martin Magnum Phantom 2 Pro Series, Martin Quiver, Slider Hi Tek stabizer, GKF drop away rest, Carbon Express Speed Freak arrows with Muzzy MX3 broadheads, True Ball release. The sight, I'm actually not sure on the brand (I bought the setup used) but is fiber optic and has a center adjustable pin with a dial knob.

It's an oldy but a goody, I couldn't honestly say how many deer I have killed with it but I'm thinking about upgrading.

b2dap1
03-05-15, 18:49
Im a bow hunter, not an archer. I shoot an Elite Energy 32 w/ a HDX rest and Black Gold single pin sight. Shoot almost everyday until the season is over then start again in the spring. Love all these guns but bowhunting is my passion!!

MBtech
03-05-15, 19:12
Im a bow hunter, not an archer. I shoot an Elite Energy 32 w/ a HDX rest and Black Gold single pin sight. Shoot almost everyday until the season is over then start again in the spring. Love all these guns but bowhunting is my passion!!

Same here, the guns are a bonus if the freezer isn't filled during bow season.

Outlander Systems
03-08-15, 17:52
Ditto. I almost don't shoot anything but pistols. My bow is far more valuable to me than my rifles/shotties.

2013 Stryker Strykezone 350. Was running a Trijicon Reflex for a while, and switched back to the simple, factory scope. This thing is more accurate than I could ever hope to be, and I don't use cocking aids. I marked the sides of my string adjacent to the rail, and just monitor the skew as I'm yanking it back. I was originally running a VTAC sling, but upgraded to the padded sling after my last hog hunt. 15 hours of that thin sling on me was not a comfy affair.

Of every shooting system I have ever owned, the Bowtech Stryker is my favorite. I am absolutely in love with this thing. The trigger is ****ing PHENOMENAL.

I've been shooting 125-grain G5 Montecs and 125-Grain G5 SGHs. The Montecs and SGHs have been fantastic for me, and the practice Montec blades fly exactly like the real deal.

The SGHs are devestating to anything you'd be slinging them at.

Been using Carbon Express Pyledrivers, and they are freaking great as well.

I had a ton of problems with over penetration on every archery target I tried, until I coughed up the scratch to get a high-Density self-healing broadhead block. Prior to this, the bow was sending arrows through the target like it was non-existent out past 30 yards.

I've been using scorpion venom rail line and polymeric string wax. Both have done exactly what I want them to. The string wax is great, and I very rarely have had a need to reapply.

I've been eyeballing the Barnett RAZR, but it's most likely complete overkill. I've been getting outstanding results from the Strykezone. If a new model is released this fall, I may pick up another one, depending on the features/upgrades.

I still need a light for this thing. On my compound, I had a stabilizer Picatinny rail, but with the size of the scope I have, it's going to be difficult to find a light mount thin enough to fit under the scope, as it hugs the mounting rail very closely.

I'll probably eventually get the Southern Crossbows Risen XT 350 to solve my light dilemma.

MBtech
03-08-15, 18:10
Up until the 2014 bow season here in my state crossbows were only allowed in late archery season or if you had a handicap permit. Now they are legal to use for both early and late archery season for anyone. I have been seriously considering getting into the crossbow game now but I really don't know squat about them. I'm also very interested in a lot of the new offerings from Mathews. I'll never give up the compound bow though it's just a part of me. It's a stress relief for me to just go out back and shoot. Keep using the arrows,(for as long as possible, or unless you miss real bad and they're lost) no need to buy more bullets or load up mags and I fletch my own arrows also, it's like a gift that just keeps giving.

Outlander Systems
03-08-15, 19:30
Up until the 2014 bow season here in my state crossbows were only allowed in late archery season or if you had a handicap permit. Now they are legal to use for both early and late archery season for anyone. I have been seriously considering getting into the crossbow game now but I really don't know squat about them. I'm also very interested in a lot of the new offerings from Mathews. I'll never give up the compound bow though it's just a part of me. It's a stress relief for me to just go out back and shoot. Keep using the arrows,(for as long as possible, or unless you miss real bad and they're lost) no need to buy more bullets or load up mags and I fletch my own arrows also, it's like a gift that just keeps giving.

Coming from trad/recurve, I can tell you that I will never go back.

The crossbow has been a game changer for me. In GA, bows , and possibly shotgun, are the only two hunting weapons I can use year-round, and have no fear of violating any rules.

As a dedicated still-hunter, the "sport" to me, is getting all cozy with the critters. I could have a freaking bazooka, but it's worthless if I can't track/find/descend upon the animal.

I am absolutely enamoured with archery hunting.

MBtech
03-08-15, 20:39
As a dedicated still-hunter, the "sport" to me, is getting all cozy with the critters. I could have a freaking bazooka, but it's worthless if I can't track/find/descend upon the animal.

I am absolutely enamoured with archery hunting.

You are speaking my language there, I do a combination of stand/still hunting depending on what the conditions are. I love picking up a set of fresh tracks in snow and playing the wind to walk into their bedroom

Ironman8
03-08-15, 22:22
Long time rifle hunter but just got my first bow last year and planning a CO archery elk hunt for this year.

Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo
CBE Tek Hybrid 3-pin sight
QAD HDX rest
Spot Hogg Wiseguy release
*Still need to pick up that TightSpot quiver
No Stabilizer for me

Really like this setup so far. Lightweight, accurate, and has plenty of speed so I can shoot the heavier arrows for elk.

Outlander Systems
03-09-15, 00:15
Long time rifle hunter but just got my first bow last year and planning a CO archery elk hunt for this year.

Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo
CBE Tek Hybrid 3-pin sight
QAD HDX rest
Spot Hogg Wiseguy release
*Still need to pick up that TightSpot quiver
No Stabilizer for me

Really like this setup so far. Lightweight, accurate, and has plenty of speed so I can shoot the heavier arrows for elk.

Like the OP, I am stunned at how far the technology has come. I was looking at getting a new compound before I got my crossbow, and I remember telling my wife all they had were youth bows, and something must be wrong. A little money goes a long way, comparatively speaking to just a few years ago.

On a side note, has anyone seen the VTAC compound sling?

http://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-bow.htm

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/PSFyfsJkT0g/maxresdefault.jpg

How about the Zulu MOLLE quiver:

http://zulunylongear.com/quiver.html

http://www.itstactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/quiver3.jpg

TRIJICON AccuPin/AccuDial:

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=AccuPin

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/img_5258-tfb.jpg

MBtech
03-09-15, 18:08
I haven't ever used a sling for my bow but just checked out a video on the Vtac, the single point use looks like something I'd be interested in for sure.

steyrman13
03-10-15, 00:25
http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/lars-andersen-shows-off-insane-archery-skills/?fb=dd
Makes me want to shelf the compound and get another recurve!

skijunkie55
03-10-15, 08:09
http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt28/skijunkie55/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5179.jpg

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt28/skijunkie55/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1366.jpg
Now I gotta go dig my bow case out of the basement and actually look at the parts... lol

Matthews Hyper-Lite
QAD - LD Rest
G5 Optix XR Pin Sight
Alpine Bear Paw Quiver

MBtech
03-10-15, 12:40
http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/lars-andersen-shows-off-insane-archery-skills/?fb=dd
Makes me want to shelf the compound and get another recurve!

That was absolutely insane! Wow!

realtree1
03-10-15, 15:05
2011 Bear Mauler
New Flo green and black bcyx strings from 60x strings
G5 headlock quiver
Gold tip xt hunters
Rage 2 blade 100gn broadheads
Apache stabilizer
Tru ball short n sweet release
Trophy ridge react 5 pin sight
Limb driver pro v dropaway

Shooting 71.25 lbs 28" arrow and making about 299 fps haven't had a chance to arrow a whitetail with it yet but I'm hopeful for this year.

Sent from my Galaxy Note III using Tapatalk

MBtech
03-10-15, 19:09
http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt28/skijunkie55/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5179.jpg

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt28/skijunkie55/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1366.jpg
Now I gotta go dig my bow case out of the basement and actually look at the parts... lol

Matthews Hyper-Lite
QAD - LD Rest
G5 Optix XR Pin Sight
Alpine Bear Paw Quiver

Nice rig, Mathews is up there in the top of my list. They have so many nice looking bows out now.

MBtech
03-10-15, 19:23
2011 Bear Mauler
New Flo green and black bcyx strings from 60x strings
G5 headlock quiver
Gold tip xt hunters
Rage 2 blade 100gn broadheads
Apache stabilizer
Tru ball short n sweet release
Trophy ridge react 5 pin sight
Limb driver pro v dropaway

Shooting 71.25 lbs 28" arrow and making about 299 fps haven't had a chance to arrow a whitetail with it yet but I'm hopeful for this year.

I'm a little iffy on the Rage 2 blades. My cousin and a good friend used them in the past back when they first came out and both had poor penetration on a couple deer. However they did kill a couple too. One was a nice buck that I eventually ended up killing two weeks later. I know a lot of guys certainly have had good results with them, but after their experiences with them I just stuck with my Muzzys. But good luck man hope you kill one with it this year.

Outlander Systems
03-10-15, 19:32
I'm a little iffy on the Rage 2 blades. My cousin and a good friend used them in the past back when they first came out and both had poor penetration on a couple deer. However they did kill a couple too. One was a nice buck that I eventually ended up killing two weeks later. I know a lot of guys certainly have had good results with them, but after their experiences with them I just stuck with my Muzzys. But good luck man hope you kill one with it this year.

Good man. Fixed blade FTMFW.

The Muzzy Trocars are a really nice addition to their lineup.

MBtech
03-10-15, 19:45
Good man. Fixed blade FTMFW.

The Muzzy Trocars are a really nice addition to their lineup.

Yes, those do look nice. I've used MX3's and MX4's for the last few seasons. Using Muzzy broadheads to me is just one of those things "if it aint broke don't fix it" They have never let me down.

ETA: my wife says the same thing about me wanting a new bow :p

realtree1
03-10-15, 20:53
I also have some g5 strykers which are nice fix blades i have stuck with the rages because they tune to my field points, point of impact easier

Thanks for the well wishes I'm sure I will pin o e this year

MBtech
03-13-15, 19:31
Do any of you guys fletch your own arrows? I have for years and have always used the same Jojan single arrow fletcher. Wondered if anyone has tried a few different kinds for comparison.

Berserkr556
03-18-15, 19:58
I've been using a few Bitzenburger Dial-O-Fletch jigs for many years. One was my Dad's and is old, from the 60s. I haven't used anything else because when I got into fletching I was told Bitzenburger was Tier 1. BTW, I hunt traditional. I have several Raptor Yew English Longbows, use cedar arrows with Magnus I, 2 blade 160 grain broadheads

Do any of you guys fletch your own arrows? I have for years and have always used the same Jojan single arrow fletcher. Wondered if anyone has tried a few different kinds for comparison.

MBtech
03-19-15, 18:15
I've been using a few Bitzenburger Dial-O-Fletch jigs for many years. One was my Dad's and is old, from the 60s. I haven't used anything else because when I got into fletching I was told Bitzenburger was Tier 1. BTW, I hunt traditional. I have several Raptor Yew English Longbows, use cedar arrows with Magnus I, 2 blade 160 grain broadheads

I've heard that myself, if I try a different fletcher it will most likely be a Bitzenburger.

I've been wanting to give a longbow a try for years but just haven't done it yet. I knew a guy years back that used to make bows, and arrows. He flint knapped arrowheads and even used turkey feathers. It was very cool to see the arrows fly to the target after all that work.

MBtech
03-19-15, 18:16

I've heard that myself, if I try a different fletcher it will most likely be a Bitzenburger.

I've been wanting to give a longbow a try for years but just haven't done it yet. I knew a guy years back that used to make bows, and arrows. He flint knapped arrowheads and even used turkey feathers. It was very cool to see the arrows fly to the target after all that work.

Linkscoach
03-19-15, 20:16
I have an early '80's model Jennings that I've started shooting again. I had a new string put on it and finally converted to a release. I would like to go to a fall away rest but I've no idea how to figure out what rest will work with it. Any ideas? I would like to go with something like the Trophy Ridge Revolution but I don't know if I have enough clearance to make it work.

MBtech
03-20-15, 20:01
I have an early '80's model Jennings that I've started shooting again. I had a new string put on it and finally converted to a release. I would like to go to a fall away rest but I've no idea how to figure out what rest will work with it. Any ideas? I would like to go with something like the Trophy Ridge Revolution but I don't know if I have enough clearance to make it work.

A few different factors to consider I think. Thinking back to an old Bear bow I had, the risers are made a lot different and much wider, not as slim as newer bows, and don't have the wider shelf above the grip. Looking at some pics of that rest it doesn't look like it has a lot of left/right windage adjustment to try and compensate for a thicker riser.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E4gqKPxcnlo

Maybe this will give you an idea. Do you have pics or a link to what bow you have?

Linkscoach
03-20-15, 22:22
I painted it several years ago and can't remember what model it is. I'll try to post up some pics this weekend.

b2dap1
03-21-15, 07:27

Those boil on wraps are really easy but not cheap. I just shoot cheap arrows and buy more when the fletching is gone. I use to replace every time I ripped or nicked a fletching but soon realized that was pointless. Only need to replace them when they are totally shot or completely ripped off. And of course save 5 that are only for hunting. I shoot them 3 times each into a target to make sure they fly true and then thats it.

MBtech
03-21-15, 16:09
Those boil on wraps are really easy but not cheap. I just shoot cheap arrows and buy more when the fletching is gone. I use to replace every time I ripped or nicked a fletching but soon realized that was pointless. Only need to replace them when they are totally shot or completely ripped off. And of course save 5 that are only for hunting. I shoot them 3 times each into a target to make sure they fly true and then thats it.

A couple friends of mine have used arrow wraps in the past and seemed to have good luck with them. Some of the reflective ones do come in handy for sure I have witnessed that finding an arrow in the dark.

cwenande
04-27-15, 21:39
My current setup is: Hoyt Ultratec @ 65lbs, 29" 3D selects 200 with 2" blazers. As for a rest I've ran trophy taker but my favorite is a NAP quick tune 3000. I run this setup for everything (300, 3D, Hunting). Broadheads for hunting are either Slick Tricks or ABC Sonics in 100gr.
What I would like to try this year: Elite 32 & 35, Hoyt Pro edge elite, & a Nitrum
For fletching I will be trying the Fob from StarrFlight . We will see how that goes.
Other bows i have: Diamond stud, Reflex Buckskin, PSE Thunderflight.
Yes I know I have an archery addiction problem, My wife reminds me all the time.

SHag222
05-01-15, 09:33
Currently running a 2011 Hoyt CRX 28" 60#, Rest is the NAP Apache (which i love), sights are a standard 3 pin setup with a peep (no kisser).
Arrows are some older Easton AAC tipped with Monatec G5 broadheads. It has served me well deer hunting over the last couple years but i have been thinking about transitioning to a recurve to shake things up a bit.

Rackit
05-01-15, 10:40
I'm shooting a Mathews Chill at @ #65... I love it. I have killed a lot of deer with it. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/01/f3ce25950e37d2c18e7a4624e01976ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MBtech
05-01-15, 13:15
My current setup is: Hoyt Ultratec @ 65lbs, 29" 3D selects 200 with 2" blazers. As for a rest I've ran trophy taker but my favorite is a NAP quick tune 3000. I run this setup for everything (300, 3D, Hunting). Broadheads for hunting are either Slick Tricks or ABC Sonics in 100gr.
What I would like to try this year: Elite 32 & 35, Hoyt Pro edge elite, & a Nitrum
For fletching I will be trying the Fob from StarrFlight . We will see how that goes.
Other bows i have: Diamond stud, Reflex Buckskin, PSE Thunderflight.
Yes I know I have an archery addiction problem, My wife reminds me all the time.

How are you liking the Diamond compared to Hoyt snd PSE?

MBtech
05-01-15, 13:23
Currently running a 2011 Hoyt CRX 28" 60#, Rest is the NAP Apache (which i love), sights are a standard 3 pin setup with a peep (no kisser).
Arrows are some older Easton AAC tipped with Monatec G5 broadheads. It has served me well deer hunting over the last couple years but i have been thinking about transitioning to a recurve to shake things up a bit.

Likewise on wanting to give a recurve a try, I've heard good things about the Apache rest. I'm so used to my kisser for my anchor point I'm not sure how that would work out for the recurve, definitely be a different challenge for me.

MBtech
05-01-15, 13:26
I'm shooting a Mathews Chill at @ #65... I love it. I have killed a lot of deer with it. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/01/f3ce25950e37d2c18e7a4624e01976ac.jpg

Nice buck man! Couldn't smack that smile off if you tried! Mathews is for sure in the top 5 for my next bow. My cousin has a Z7 but I can't try it out because he's a lefty and I'm right handed, but definitely a sweet bow.

Rackit
05-01-15, 13:31
Nice buck man! Couldn't smack that smile off if you tried! Mathews is for sure in the top 5 for my next bow. My cousin has a Z7 but I can't try it out because he's a lefty and I'm right handed, but definitely a sweet bow.

Thank you, I had a z7 before I had the chill... Very nice bow!

cwenande
05-19-15, 20:38
How are you liking the Diamond compared to Hoyt snd PSE?

I enjoy shooting it. Solid back wall, smooth draw cycle and doesn't have the $$$ tag that the Hoyt's bring. I found it easy to tune. For hunting it is an excellent rig. My youngest brother is currently using it for now till he decides if that's what he wants in a bow. The only PSE i have to compare it against is a PSE thunder flight. Its really not fair to compare those two against each other.

MBtech
05-23-15, 04:09
This thread is going to make me want to try WAY too many new bows out ;)

masan
06-28-15, 15:11
So I went bow shopping yesterday.

I have the opportunity to hunt elk this fall in Idaho (maybe, fingers crossed) and in Montana next year.

Did I need a new bow? No, but what the hell. (Also, I sold my old PSE Fire Lite recently so I don't have a vertical bow here at home anymore)

I made the 4 hour drive to Lancaster Archery Supply, best archery store I know of, and spent about 3 hours testing a bunch of new bows. I shot the Matthews Chill X and R as well as the No Cam, the Elite 32 and 35, and the Bowtech Prodigy. They were all superb bows, much nicer than anything I have owned (though my Admiral is a fine bow and will be a backup).

Ultimately I purchased the Bowtech Prodigy. The Mathews Chill R was a CLOSE 2nd.

Bowtech Prodigy 30" DL / 60# DW
Apache Ripcord Rest
Armortech 4 Pin .019
Easton Zenith w/ 125gr Muzzy
B-Stinger 6" Stabilizer
Scott Little Goose Release

I spent most of this morning getting the 30/40/50 pins dialed in (love the ease of adjusting the Armortech) and trying to stay dry.

Pros of the bow so far:
Nicest shooting bow I have owned
FAST (currently have it on the Performance setting)
solid back wall
dead in the hand

Cons:
needs the stabilizer to be dead in the hand

AKDoug
06-29-15, 00:04
Rob and the boys at Lancaster are fantastic. I've been a mail order customer of theirs for a dozen years. I even shot their Lancaster Archery Classic tournament years ago because I just had to go meet them in person...all the way from Alaska.

masan
06-29-15, 07:15
damn thats a long way!

MBtech
06-29-15, 12:52
So I went bow shopping yesterday.

I have the opportunity to hunt elk this fall in Idaho (maybe, fingers crossed) and in Montana next year.

Did I need a new bow? No, but what the hell. (Also, I sold my old PSE Fire Lite recently so I don't have a vertical bow here at home anymore)

I made the 4 hour drive to Lancaster Archery Supply, best archery store I know of, and spent about 3 hours testing a bunch of new bows. I shot the Matthews Chill X and R as well as the No Cam, the Elite 32 and 35, and the Bowtech Prodigy. They were all superb bows, much nicer than anything I have owned (though my Admiral is a fine bow and will be a backup).

Ultimately I purchased the Bowtech Prodigy. The Mathews Chill R was a CLOSE 2nd.

Bowtech Prodigy 30" DL / 60# DW
Apache Ripcord Rest
Armortech 4 Pin .019
Easton Zenith w/ 125gr Muzzy
B-Stinger 6" Stabilizer
Scott Little Goose Release

I spent most of this morning getting the 30/40/50 pins dialed in (love the ease of adjusting the Armortech) and trying to stay dry.

Pros of the bow so far:
Nicest shooting bow I have owned
FAST (currently have it on the Performance setting)
solid back wall
dead in the hand

Cons:
needs the stabilizer to be dead in the hand

That is a nice looking rig Man! A place where you are able to test and compare bows is definitely something I need to do, which I have never done before. All of the newer bows I'm sure will blow my mind compared to my old out dated Martin. Were you able to test the sights, rest, etc on the bows before purchasing the setup also?

MBtech
06-29-15, 12:58
Rob and the boys at Lancaster are fantastic. I've been a mail order customer of theirs for a dozen years. I even shot their Lancaster Archery Classic tournament years ago because I just had to go meet them in person...all the way from Alaska.

Holy cow that's a long way! I looked them up and thought 11 hours was a long trip!

masan
06-29-15, 16:37
Not sure if you could test sights or rests. Wouldn't suprise me if they would let you though.

When I shoot a bow for the first time I am feeling it out to see how the draw is, the back wall, vibration, noise, etc.

I am a big fan of the Armortech sights (highly recommend) as well as the Apache rest, so I was pretty much set on those accessories to begin with.

Rests are gonna be based on whether you want a ripcord style or a whisker biscuit style. Sights (for me) are all about how much abuse they can take. The fact that the armortech can take a beating and remain accurate and easy to adjust when needed is pure gold to me.

As for the long drive, I would recommend making a weekend out of it with the Mrs, family, etc. Lancaster is a pretty nice place for a weekend trip, plus Gettysburg is only about an hours drive (or so) away. Just dont go on a rainy saturday, they (LAS) get crazy busy.

AKDoug
07-02-15, 00:21
Holy cow that's a long way! I looked them up and thought 11 hours was a long trip!

Drove from Falcon, N.C. back to Alaska with a truck I bought from Siler City, NC. Crew cab truck with three kids in the back with mama and I up front. Best road trip ever. If you are in the Lancaster area you might as well hit Hershey and Cabelas in Harrisburg.

masan
07-02-15, 15:49
That is a nice looking rig Man! A place where you are able to test and compare bows is definitely something I need to do, which I have never done before. All of the newer bows I'm sure will blow my mind compared to my old out dated Martin. Were you able to test the sights, rest, etc on the bows before purchasing the setup also?

My apologies, I misread your question MBtech.

Yes, I was able to test everything out once it was on the bow. Lancaster has a whole package deal when you buy a bow, you get work done by a trained tech, test any bow you want, range time with the bow you buy (i think its 2 hours), they stand right next to you and zero you at 20yds, give advice on stance/release/grip/girls, will make up arrows to your specs, make fun of your dumb hat ;), etc

good place to check out

masan
07-12-15, 11:31
Picked up a Mission Craze 2 for the wife yesterday. I had heard good things about Mission Bows (Matthews sister company). I have to say, this may be one of the nicest bows for young archers or adults just getting started in archery. 15-70lb draw weight, 17-30 in draw length provide a ton of adjustability for getting someone started.

The guys at Lancaster Archery got her set up beautifully and she was shooting 3" groups (at 10 yds) pretty quickly under their tutelage.

Just wanted to give another shout out to LAS and about the Mission Bows, wish they had been around when I was gettin started.

MBtech
07-12-15, 13:03
Picked up a Mission Craze 2 for the wife yesterday. I had heard good things about Mission Bows (Matthews sister company). I have to say, this may be one of the nicest bows for young archers or adults just getting started in archery. 15-70lb draw weight, 17-30 in draw length provide a ton of adjustability for getting someone started.

The guys at Lancaster Archery got her set up beautifully and she was shooting 3" groups (at 10 yds) pretty quickly under their tutelage.

Just wanted to give another shout out to LAS and about the Mission Bows, wish they had been around when I was gettin started.

Very cool, thanks for sharing that. My son and daughter are both wanting bows, Mission has been at the top of the list to look into for what to get them.

MBtech
07-12-15, 13:04
Sounds like I need to take a family road trip :)

masan
07-12-15, 14:26
I think you will enjoy it if you do, we even met a couple there (at LAS) who had driven from Alabama.

TMW89
07-13-15, 20:16
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/13/51f9f91bdf12057c01e4e97ed9bc5bee.jpg
This is a 2010 Diamond Rock 2.0. I love it. I use a whisker biscuit now. And a Trophy Ridge vertical 3 pin sight, (which I love)

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/13/fb78359fa267506ce85cdf87d3c12cf5.jpgthis made for entertaining practice with a friend

Berserkr556
09-09-15, 18:18
I've been bagging a couple squirrels a day with my Raptor, Yew English Longbow since my birthday which is when the season opened. Looking forward to hunting deer and turkey. I love the woods

MegademiC
10-12-15, 06:57
I'm using an 04 hoyt viper tech.
Tranquilizer stabilizer
True glo 3pin sight
Some fork rest.
Gold tip 5575
Montec 100gr.

Looking to upgrade in a few years as I can get almost 70 fps faster with a quieter bow with less shock with new tech.