PDA

View Full Version : Beretta M9A1 Technical Questions...

opngrnd
03-05-15, 15:15
Not looking to start a flame war. I'm thinking about picking up a Beretta, as it's what I'm issued for a pistol. I don't need it for concealed carry, etc, so let's not go down the 9mm ego-trip rabbit hole for what 9mm I should be buying. I just like that for being issued it, it is certainly a shootable/accurate pistol. I've decided to get the railed version, since I might like to change the front sight one day, and that brings me to the M9A1 vs the 92A1. I've read a couple of the threads so far, including the one on the pending(?) M9A3, and am left with the following questions.

1-Is there any reason to get the 92A1 over the M9A1? I know the 92A1 has a captured recoil spring, which doesn't matter to me, and an interesting blue insert(buffer plate?) in the frame. Does the insert honestly matter long term if you stay on top of your springs? Can you convert the M9A1 to include the insert?

2-Do the current M9A1s come with the improved Gen 3 locking blocks? Do they need to be replaced periodically? Are Gen 3 locking blocks the latest and greatest?

3-Other than the trigger guard and frame insert, is there any other difference between the M9A1 and the 92A1? I could care less about the trigger guard. I do like that the M9A1 is manufactured in America by Americans, not imported from Italy. I also like that the M9A1 comes with the Sand Resistant mags, though my normal mags never gave me issues overseas as I cleaned them regularly. I also don't live in a desert.

4-What maintenance in this pistol is there that I need to be aware of? I'm a 1911 guy at heart, so you're not going to shock me here.

I know that pistol receives a lot of hate, but none of it has been reflected by my experiences with the pistol so long as the magazines were in good shape. Again, I do not intend a CCW role for this pistol, though the winters here certainly allow for it. Intended role for it is range use, occasional practice, possible bedside type use with a weapon mounted light, and I will be taking classes with it if purchased. I will likely use this Beretta in MIL/LE classes to increase my skill set and familiarity with it, and hopefully become more proficient with what I'm issued, not just what I'd prefer to carry. Thanks in advance.

Doc Safari
03-05-15, 16:15
Someone on another forum offered some suggestions:

http://www.cogunowners.com/showthread.php?tid=1112

I've searched all over the internet and finding information on specific upgrades you can make to an M9A1 is really hard to find. Over the course of two months I researched and I think I've compiled the best upgrades you can do for just over a hundred bucks. So I wanted to create a thread in case anyone out there is looking to do some work on there M9A1 or any other 92SF.

I purchased the following from Brownells,

EliteII hammer;
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=28315/Product/HAMMER-ELITE
It supposedly increases cycle speed and gives a lighter pull to the trigger. Both are great but I must admit, the big seller for me was that a skeletonized hammer looks awesome.

D version main spring; http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27930/Product/HAMMER-SPRING-D-VERSION
I also found that some people are using a 1911 mainspring but I wanted to stick to a Beretta factory part. The spring provides a much lighter trigger pull.

Wolff Trigger conversion; http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16498/avs%7CManufacturer_1=WOLFF/Product/BERETTA-TRIGGER-CONVERSION-UNIT
This part was originally created to replace a weak trigger spring. I read that this was developed for the US Boarder Patrol and the problems they had with the factory trigger sprig breaking. I found that is helps for really smooth trigger pull. It comes in a lighter and heaver version. To me its main job is to provide return so I figured factory weight was fine.

Steel trigger;
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=28449/avs%7CMake~~Model_1=Beretta__92/Product/TRIGGER-STEEL
Feels better than polymer. Helps with trigger pull because of the increased weight. I also like the look of a gun with a trigger colored separate from the rest of the gun.

Aluminum grips;
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41678/avs%7CMake~~Model_1=Beretta__92/Product/BERETTA-92-SIG-P238-ALUMINUM-GRIPS
A buddy of mine has a 1911 with a pair of Alumagrips on it and it feels great. The ones they make for Beretta are just as great. They provide a very positive grip.

I always toy with the idea of getting a Beretta M9A1, so I've reread this several times.

L-2
03-05-15, 17:44
The OP said he may want to change out the front sight someday.
Wouldn't the 92A1 be easier to change out the front sight, as it's dovetailed, whereas the M9A1's front sight is fixed (with no dovetail)?

Outlander Systems
03-05-15, 18:19
Go with the 92A1 and don't look back.

I replaced the recoil spring/rod with a non-captured version from WC.

The 92A1 has a means to replace the front sight...it is my understanding that the M9A1 does not.

The recoil buffer is, as far as I'm concerned, a nice insurance policy, but I can't attest to how advantageous it is, as I don't have the M9A1 for comparison.

Like the 1911, keep it lubed, replace the springs at a regular interval: 5,000 rounds or so, and call it good. The M/92's can be run through hell and back.

If you buy a current issue Beretta, the locking block "problem" simply isn't.

Just do it.

; )

opngrnd
03-05-15, 18:52
The M9A1 doesn't have a detailed front sight? For some reason I thought it did. I handled the 92A1 today, it definitely had a dovetail as you have all mentioned. I guess that would settle the choice between the two.

Doc Safari
03-06-15, 09:10
Is it still advisable to replace the trigger spring?

opngrnd
03-06-15, 09:59
I'd be interested in trigger spring replacement info as well. I just had my LGS place the brand new 92A1 I looked at yesterday on hold for me, I'll go pick it up in a week or so. It looks like my only option for having a holster and mag carriers for it by May is Bravo Concealment. Raven and JM Customs have a 9 week wait time, and I won't get to order for another week.

brushy bill
03-06-15, 10:21
Ref the trigger spring...the old spring loop was smaller and could bind. Some years back, Beretta increased the size of the loop and I believe it was a little thicker gauge wire as well. Supposedly, this largely eliminated the problem. That said, I went with the Wolff trigger conversion unit in my most recent Beretta. You will have to replace the polymer trigger with a steel one though. It really isn't that hard (not like a Glock though) and there are youtube videos out there. Though more expensive than several regular springs, the Wolff unit is easier to install and is reported to be much more durable.

Fordtough25
03-06-15, 12:22
Love my 92A1, it's by far my favorite handgun to shoot and enjoy. I've installed several of the Wilson Combat upgrades and I use a raven owb holster. Mine makes me look good and has handled any and all ammo I load into the mags with no problems. Great choice!

Outlander Systems
03-06-15, 16:18
I'd be interested in trigger spring replacement info as well. I just had my LGS place the brand new 92A1 I looked at yesterday on hold for me, I'll go pick it up in a week or so. It looks like my only option for having a holster and mag carriers for it by May is Bravo Concealment. Raven and JM Customs have a 9 week wait time, and I won't get to order for another week.

If you're not going to attempt to conceal this thing, and plan on running a light, go with the Safariland 3280 or 3285.

I've confirmed these holsters will work with the 92A1, with or without a light. They will also work with the following lights: X300, X300U, X300V, X400, X400U, as confirmed by yours truly.

I don't think there's a pistol light these holsters won't work with.

Outlander Systems
03-06-15, 16:20
Ref the trigger spring...the old spring loop was smaller and could bind. Some years back, Beretta increased the size of the loop and I believe it was a little thicker gauge wire as well. Supposedly, this largely eliminated the problem. That said, I went with the Wolff trigger conversion unit in my most recent Beretta. You will have to replace the polymer trigger with a steel one though. It really isn't that hard (not like a Glock though) and there are youtube videos out there. Though more expensive than several regular springs, the Wolff unit is easier to install and is reported to be much more durable.

The factory trigger is polymer-coated steel.

Doc Safari
03-06-15, 16:26
All right...so then just to clarify and make sure no one "assumes" anything--

The M9A1 is good-to-go as-is with no parts replacement, right?

Outlander Systems
03-06-15, 16:33
All right...so then just to clarify and make sure no one "assumes" anything--

The M9A1 is good-to-go as-is with no parts replacement, right?

"Add to Cart", mah brutha!

These things ain't 1911's. From a reliabilty standpoint, they're GTG out of the box. If you want to hot rod one...head over to Wilson Combat, and start fillin' that shopping basket.

Doc Safari
03-06-15, 16:38
"Add to Cart", mah brutha!

These things ain't 1911's. From a reliabilty standpoint, they're GTG out of the box. If you want to hot rod one...head over to Wilson Combat, and start fillin' that shopping basket.

No...to be frank I've been looking for a platform to replace the Glock as my primary sidearm. Glock has had so many issues in recent memory that my confidence in them is permanently tainted.

Makes a guy want to change his screen name. :p

The thing I DO NOT want is a gun that has to be "fixed" before you ever fire the first round. To me that's bullshit in a firearm that is sold as a self-defense weapon. I could maybe see buying a "hobby" gun that immediately needs upgrades, but a combat weapon should be ready to load and shoot with nothing more than a little lube.

brushy bill
03-06-15, 17:05
The factory trigger is polymer-coated steel.

Bottom line, if you want to use the Wolff unit, you have to change to an all steel trigger. Understand it is polymer-coated steel, but you still need an all steel trigger for the Wolff unit. That was the point. See link below for particulars (in red font).

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/BERETTA/92,%2096,%20AND%20CENTURION/cID1/mID2/dID36

Outlander Systems
03-06-15, 18:17
Bottom line, if you want to use the Wolff unit, you have to change to an all steel trigger. Understand it is polymer-coated steel, but you still need an all steel trigger for the Wolff unit. That was the point. See link below for particulars (in red font).

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/BERETTA/92,%2096,%20AND%20CENTURION/cID1/mID2/dID36

^ Truth.

I wanted to dispel the myth that the factory trigger is plastic.

Outlander Systems
03-06-15, 18:20
No...to be frank I've been looking for a platform to replace the Glock as my primary sidearm. Glock has had so many issues in recent memory that my confidence in them is permanently tainted.

Makes a guy want to change his screen name. :p

The thing I DO NOT want is a gun that has to be "fixed" before you ever fire the first round. To me that's bullshit in a firearm that is sold as a self-defense weapon. I could maybe see buying a "hobby" gun that immediately needs upgrades, but a combat weapon should be ready to load and shoot with nothing more than a little lube.

Negative. These are as solid a weapon as one could ever hope for. ~3000 rounds +\- and not a single issue.

I'll most likely replace all the springs when I hit 5k for the sake of maintenance, but I bought this thing used on a whim, and I have gotten rid of everything else. If I find myself needing another handgun, I will buy another one just like it.

opmike
03-06-15, 18:34
The M9A1 has front sight part of the slide like something out of 1873. That severely limits sight options and is a show stopper in my book. I went for a Brigadier Tactical, but if something like the M9A3 was out at the time, I probably would have just gotten one of those.

opngrnd
03-06-15, 22:37
If you're not going to attempt to conceal this thing, and plan on running a light, go with the Safariland 3280 or 3285.

I've confirmed these holsters will work with the 92A1, with or without a light. They will also work with the following lights: X300, X300U, X300V, X400, X400U, as confirmed by yours truly.

I don't think there's a pistol light these holsters won't work with.

I have no intentions of concealing this pistol from the outset, so this holster may very well work for me. I do not need it to be a light compatible holster off the start, but might as well knock both birds out with one stone. Once I got over my disdain for the M9, I came to really like it, and I don't think there is a 9mm I shoot better right now. I remember stepping back to do some 25 yard head shots at a shoot shortly after my return stateside with my completely Apex&10-8 upgraded M&P9, and hitting most of them. Then my buddy said "Try this old friend" and handed me his Beretta. I drilled them all, and decided I'd have one someday. Now that my 1911's are back from their facelifts, my carry needs are taken care of, so I may as well shoot a 9mm I enjoy. My next one will probably get the "G" conversion and maybe even the "D" spring, but for now I want to mirror my duty pistol concerning trigger and safety. It shoots well enough the way it is, after all.

Beyond Safariland, does anyone else have suggestions for duty holsters? My requirements are that it not be a high-ride holster, not be a SERPA, and not have weird locking mechanisms. I might just go with the Safariland and be done with it. If I could get it with passive retention, even better. I will probably shoot this pistol at 3 Gun a time or two, so having a non locking holster would be nice if it is also low ride like Safariland offers.

ramairthree
03-07-15, 09:33
1-Is there any reason to get the 92A1 over the M9A1? I know the 92A1 has a captured recoil spring, which doesn't matter to me, and an interesting blue insert(buffer plate?) in the frame. Does the insert honestly matter long term if you stay on top of your springs? Can you convert the M9A1 to include the insert?

The two reasons to get a 92A1 are the "improved recoil system" and the dovetailed front sight.
A 9mm the size and weight of the 92 series had no need at all for an improved recoil system.
A reason not to get a 92A1 is that it does not have the same interchangeable upper/lower as the rest of the 92 series. It is interchangeable with the "90-two." Another reason is the trigger guard shape makes it not compatible with many other 92 holsters.
Reasons to get an M9A1 instead are it has a beveled mag well and improved checkering. It is basically an Elite II frame with a rail.
The M9A1 not having an easily replaceable front sight, and the 92A1 not having the checkered and beveled frame is insane. One pistol with both sets of assets should have been made.

2-Do the current M9A1s come with the improved Gen 3 locking blocks? Do they need to be replaced periodically? Are Gen 3 locking blocks the latest and greatest? Yes. Yes, about 10K rounds. Yes.

3-Other than the trigger guard and frame insert, is there any other difference between the M9A1 and the 92A1? I could care less about the trigger guard. I do like that the M9A1 is manufactured in America by Americans, not imported from Italy. I also like that the M9A1 comes with the Sand Resistant mags, though my normal mags never gave me issues overseas as I cleaned them regularly. I also don't live in a desert.
Yes, see above.

4-What maintenance in this pistol is there that I need to be aware of? I'm a 1911 guy at heart, so you're not going to shock me here.
Keep it well lubed. Change the recoil spring at about 5k rounds.
No need to go to the Wolf trigger spring with the modern factory trigger spring. It will not improve the trigger pull.

My personal opinions are:
The 96A1/92A1 series should go the way of the 90-two and disappear. The 90-two was a failed product. The improved recoil system was rolled into the 96A1 as a way of saying any issues/worries with wear on your 96s from .40 is gone. It came out when no major element was looking for a full sized .40 and as .40 is becoming less and less popular. So they made 92A1s.

All full sized 92s should either have the M9A1 frame or the Elite II frame so you can get railed or non-railed checkered/beveled frames. And I guess Vertec frames for those really small hands.

The M9/previous 92 full sized grip should also fall by the wayside. The current 92's radiused back strap makes the gun fit better in a larger range of shooter's hands.

Going with a rounded trigger guard such as on the Wilson Combat and A1s instead of the standard M9 shape was an artistic preference serving no functional purpose and serves only to mess up holster availability. "Nice, it looks like the really old Beretta 92s. Crap, it does not fit my holster right."

All uppers should either be Vertec (compatible with standard holsters) or Brigadier (not compatible with standard holsters). Both have dovetailed front sights. The standard "1873" era upper with fixed front sight of the M9/92 needs to also fall by the wayside.

All uppers should be available in G or FS mode. Or be changeable to either without machined conversions like is planned with the M9A3.

Outlander Systems
03-07-15, 10:08
I have no intentions of concealing this pistol from the outset, so this holster may very well work for me. I do not need it to be a light compatible holster off the start, but might as well knock both birds out with one stone. Once I got over my disdain for the M9, I came to really like it, and I don't think there is a 9mm I shoot better right now. I remember stepping back to do some 25 yard head shots at a shoot shortly after my return stateside with my completely Apex&10-8 upgraded M&P9, and hitting most of them. Then my buddy said "Try this old friend" and handed me his Beretta. I drilled them all, and decided I'd have one someday. Now that my 1911's are back from their facelifts, my carry needs are taken care of, so I may as well shoot a 9mm I enjoy. My next one will probably get the "G" conversion and maybe even the "D" spring, but for now I want to mirror my duty pistol concerning trigger and safety. It shoots well enough the way it is, after all.

Beyond Safariland, does anyone else have suggestions for duty holsters? My requirements are that it not be a high-ride holster, not be a SERPA, and not have weird locking mechanisms. I might just go with the Safariland and be done with it. If I could get it with passive retention, even better. I will probably shoot this pistol at 3 Gun a time or two, so having a non locking holster would be nice if it is also low ride like Safariland offers.

I'm exactly in the same place. I straight up just shoot this thing better, and more naturally, than any other handgun I've ever owned. All the rest is just wind-whizzing, because this gun flat out works *for me*.

On the 32XX holsters, you could remove the hood and just adjust the tensioning screws until you had the level of retention that you wanted. While they are hideous, Safariland really produced, in my opinion, one of the best holsters ever made. It's adjustable to accommodate almost any light on the planet, they will work with either a light or no light, and they have a customizable level of rentention. I can get over the looks really quick, knowing that there isn't a holster on the market that can even come close to the 32XX series in terms of adjustability.

samuse
03-07-15, 10:59

An M9A1 or 92A1 will do that.

I have a lot of miles on an M9, and they're the most reliable handgun I've ever used. And I'm a long time 9mm Glock shooter.

opngrnd
03-07-15, 11:23
Other than being unrailed, what does the Brigadier give give up compared to the M9A1 or 92A1?

ramairthree
03-07-15, 11:38
One of the NIB factory Beretta Brigadiers will give up nothing to the 92A1 except the "improved recoil system."
It will give up checkering and beveled magwell to the M9A1.

The price on one of those is so close to the Wilson that I am glad I got one of the Wilsons. You get a front night sight, G operation, all metal parts, and the checkering and beveling on the Wilson. (plus the round trigger guard which I could not care less about having. I agree it looks better but I like the flat front for mounting stuff and I like the compatibility of the flat front)

opngrnd
03-07-15, 12:36
Honestly , I just wish I could get the M9A1 with a replaceable front sight. Short of going with the WC option, every other option leaves off at least one major option I'd like, but I don't feel like dropping WC levels of cash. Right now, it seems like going with the 92A1 will be my best bet so long as I am willing to settle holster-wise. I just hope that I can get the mag well beveled later.

Magsz
03-07-15, 14:05
Due to the fact that Beretta is AWESOME, their catalog offers you the following, EXCELLENT option.

Buy a Brigadier AND an M9A1.

Swap the Brig slide onto the M9A1 frame and sell the brig frame with the M9A1 slide on it as a 92FS with full disclosure, ie the fact that it is a parts gun.

You basically have a 92GSD without the front cocking serrations.

Its an expensive endeavor but it is one that yields good results.

Were i in your shoes i would simply wait for the M9A3 as it offers the "best" slide (reciprocating mass) in the mix out of all of berettas offerings. I shoot ALOT and do not believe i would ever need a brig slide as i am not shooting Nato pressure ammo.

It just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside when i look at beretta's catalog and see a hodgepodge of poorly put together offerings. Replaceable front sights are just SO over rated! .........................

opngrnd
03-07-15, 16:53
My goodness, the more I think about it, the more I feel like just carving a pointing stick and calling it a day. I honestly don't need to have ALL of the things I want in one gun, but it's hard to choose what features to leave out. Getting a replaceable front sight imight not be worth losing holster compatibility and the beveled mag well. I think I'll end up fine with the M9, M9A1, 92A1, or Brigadier, it's just a matter of choosing. And there's also a Brigadier in stock at my LGS...maybe I'll start with that instead. Thinking about it, i don't feel a pistol with a light rail needs a tritium front sight as much as a non railed version.

Exactly how beveled is the M9/M9A1 mag well compared to a Brigadier or 92A1? And can the Brigadier or 92A1 be given the same bevel?
Also-are all four of the aforementioned pistols (M9,M9A1,Brigadier,92A1) convertible to "G" mode?

Doc Safari
03-09-15, 09:21
The issue of sights is a good one to bring up for those of us with older-than-draftee-age eyes. Are the M9A1 sights hard to pick up like a military 1911 sights?

Does the 92FS have better sights and/or a dovetail front sight?

Does someone make replacement sights?

Is the 92FS the same rugged quality as the M9A1 or did Beretta "skimp" on the commercial version?

opngrnd
03-09-15, 11:18
The issue of sights is a good one to bring up for those of us with older-than-draftee-age eyes. Are the M9A1 sights hard to pick up like a military 1911 sights?

Does the 92FS have better sights and/or a dovetail front sight?

Does someone make replacement sights?

Is the 92FS the same rugged quality as the M9A1 or did Beretta "skimp" on the commercial version?

Not sure I can answer all those questions, but yesterday I looked at the M9 and 92FS side by side and they appeared the same for all intents and purposes. Neither had a beveled magwell, but had integral front sights.

I need to compare the M9A1 and the 92A1 side to side next. I'm also going to look at the Brigadier. I just spoke with Beretta this morning, and the M9A3 isn't due till "late this year". If it were coming soon, I think I'd just go for that with no reservations.

Things seem to be split into several camps for me:
1-Removable sights:
Brigadier, 92A1

2-Light railed frame:
M9A1, 92A1

3-Beveled mag well:
M9A1, 92A1(according to website)

But the 92A1 retains a special frame. At this point, I can't have my cake and eat it for under $700, so I'm just going to decide which one sucks the least and buy that when I walk in. It won't honestly matter much on the daytime range. Maybe I'll end up with a M9A3 later. I did ask Tooltech they could install tritium in the front sight only, and that would solve any issue with the M9 series short of a broken front sight.

Magsz
03-09-15, 12:09
What carry load do you plan on running in the gun?

I guarantee it is not going to hit POA/POI with the stock, M9 sight configuration.

You will only have TWO rear sight options to adjust your elevation if you need to and those are the Novak and the Wilson. Id much rather be able to fine tune my POI via the front AND rear sights if need be.

Wait for the M9A3 unless you absolutely need a gun right this second.

In regard to the bevel. There is ZERO bevel on the standard 92 frame versus a pretty substantial bevel on the M9A1 frame.

opngrnd
03-09-15, 14:16
Speer 124+P. The class is in 8 weeks. Otherwise I'd wait.

opngrnd
03-09-15, 15:52
I should add that the Beretta site claims to have a strong mag well bevel on the 92A1. I'll see if it's true soon enough.

Quote from Beretta's website on the 92A1 page-"In addition, the magazine well is aggressively beveled, making it super-fast to change magazines without taking your eyes off the target."

ramairthree
03-09-15, 15:56
Not sure I can answer all those questions, but yesterday I looked at the M9 and 92FS side by side and they appeared the same for all intents and purposes. Neither had a beveled magwell, but had integral front sights.

I need to compare the M9A1 and the 92A1 side to side next. I'm also going to look at the Brigadier. I just spoke with Beretta this morning, and the M9A3 isn't due till "late this year". If it were coming soon, I think I'd just go for that with no reservations.

Things seem to be split into several camps for me:
1-Removable sights:
Brigadier, 92A1

2-Light railed frame:
M9A1, 92A1

3-Beveled mag well:
M9A1, 92A1(according to website)

But the 92A1 retains a special frame. At this point, I can't have my cake and eat it for under $700, so I'm just going to decide which one sucks the least and buy that when I walk in. It won't honestly matter much on the daytime range. Maybe I'll end up with a M9A3 later. I did ask Tooltech they could install tritium in the front sight only, and that would solve any issue with the M9 series short of a broken front sight.

Add the Vertec in for dovetailed front sight.
No beveled magwell on the 92a1. (according to one in my hand)

Exiledviking
03-09-15, 18:26
Neither of the 2 92A1s I have looked at had a beveled magwell. It's strange that Beretta's own website says that the magwell is beveled.
Frankly, for me the non-beveled magwell makes no difference to me. Perhaps it's all those years loading singlestack mags into 1911s with and without magwells. In the end I sold my M9A1 and kept the 92A1.

Magsz
03-09-15, 19:51
Neither of the 2 92A1s I have looked at had a beveled magwell. It's strange that Beretta's own website says that the magwell is beveled.
Frankly, for me the non-beveled magwell makes no difference to me. Perhaps it's all those years loading singlestack mags into 1911s with and without magwells. In the end I sold my M9A1 and kept the 92A1.

Why is that strange? They still seem to think that a fixed front sight is good for combatz...

The 92A1 does not have a magazine bevel unless this something they've added within the past few months but....yeah, my 92A1 does not have a bevel and no 92A1 ive ever picked up has a bevel.

opngrnd
03-09-15, 20:40
The 92A1 I looked at a few hours ago had no bevel. The plot thickens(or thins, anyway) but at this point the M9A3 seems to be the ticket. We'll see how this goes. I'd probably be fine with the 92A1, but with the M9A3 being here "later this year", waiting makes more sense. If the world would just revolve around me for a couple hours and Beretta would spit those A3's out with holsters some time in April, that'd be great.

RAM Engineer
03-10-15, 15:19
I really hope those adapter grips for the M9A3 are NOT sticky rubber Hogue style grips and are a rough finish hard plastic. I can't STAND sticky rubber grips.

Sam
03-10-15, 15:54
I really hope those adapter grips for the M9A3 are NOT sticky rubber Hogue style grips and are a rough finish hard plastic. I can't STAND sticky rubber grips.

The ones I handled at SHOT were hard plastic.

Doc Safari
03-10-15, 15:57
So unless I missed something the M9A3 will be released "later this year."

Can anyone be more specific than that?

opngrnd
03-10-15, 16:44
So unless I missed something the M9A3 will be released "later this year."

Can anyone be more specific than that?

That's the word from Beretta. I called them a couple days ago. I tried to get more info, but they stuck with "later this year".

opngrnd
03-10-15, 19:01
I'm curious, does the Brigadier use a different frame? Looking at pictures, the trigger guard seems higher or relieved for for a higher grip.

opngrnd
03-20-15, 21:59
Just thought I'd mention I ended up going wth the Brigadier. I fits in my Safariland thigh rig for the M9, though the last inch of reholstering is a tad snug. Wanted to say thanks for all the imput from everyone.

Magsz
03-21-15, 12:25
Just thought I'd mention I ended up going wth the Brigadier. I fits in my Safariland thigh rig for the M9, though the last inch of reholstering is a tad snug. Wanted to say thanks for all the imput from everyone.

Bevel the magwell and you've got yourself a swweeeeeettt rig.

Enjoy the gun and use it in good health.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/910/04jNS2.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pa04jNS2j)

mkmckinley
03-28-15, 08:59
That's the word from Beretta. I called them a couple days ago. I tried to get more info, but they stuck with "later this year".

The Beretta rep at the USASOC Int'l Sniper Comp vender tent said he thought it would be in may, FWIW.

Up1911fan
03-28-15, 10:04
Hopefully VZ will offer grip adapters for the M9A3.

opngrnd
03-31-15, 20:04
It would be ironic if the M9A3 was available right before I took my class. At least with the Brigadier, I'll get to practice a bit before the class.

Ever had the feeling of "I regret this decision immensely" after buying a gun? Not this guy! I put the first 100 rounds through the Brigadier today, and it shot like a dream.

The following picture is of a target at approx 25 yards shooting the pistol as it came out of box. ( I did lube it, though.) Ammo was American Eagle 115 grain. I can't imagine how well this would shoot with a "D" spring installed and a few other mods. Perhaps if I end up with a second Brigadier... (Sorry for the poor quality image, I had to hold the paper in my truck due to a strong winds.)

opngrnd
03-31-15, 20:54
Quick question-What is the point of the notched out area towards the base pad on oem mags? All six of my oem 15 rounders have it, but my single sand resistant mag doesn't. I'll get a pic up later.

Exiledviking
03-31-15, 21:56
Quick question-What is the point of the notched out area towards the base pad on oem mags? All six of my oem 15 rounders have it, but my single sand resistant mag doesn't. I'll get a pic up later.
If you're referring to a D shaped cut on the side of the mag towards the back, it's for Beretta pistols with a heel mag release IIRC.
Nice shooting!

opngrnd
04-01-15, 09:15
Bevel the magwell and you've got yourself a swweeeeeettt rig.

Enjoy the gun and use it in good health.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/910/04jNS2.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pa04jNS2j)

Where do you suggest having the mag well beveled, and what is the orange material on the front strap?

Sam
04-01-15, 09:50
Where do you suggest having the mag well beveled,......?

Any competent gunsmith can bevel the magazine well. The frame will have to be refinished where the metal is removed. A partial refinish like cold blued or some paint job may not look like the original finish but after 50 or so magazine insertion/removal, you'll scratch it up anyway.

Magsz
04-01-15, 10:20
Where do you suggest having the mag well beveled, and what is the orange material on the front strap?

I did this myself, hence the lack of refinishing but that area gets destroyed anyway so i wasnt overly concerned.

I would strongly suggest using Josh at AGW. His beveling is second to none and is way better than any factory beveling that Beretta offers. Check out his facebook for a bunch of pictures of his work and im sure you will be impressed. His work isnt cheap but he actually offers type 3 hardcoat after he completes the frame mods versus the dirty bath water swishing that Beretta calls anodizing.

http://alleghenygunworks.com/

Gary1911A1
04-01-15, 12:48
Pl
I did this myself, hence the lack of refinishing but that area gets destroyed anyway so i wasnt overly concerned.

I would strongly suggest using Josh at AGW. His beveling is second to none and is way better than any factory beveling that Beretta offers. Check out his facebook for a bunch of pictures of his work and im sure you will be impressed. His work isnt cheap but he actually offers type 3 hardcoat after he completes the frame mods versus the dirty bath water swishing that Beretta calls anodizing.

http://alleghenygunworks.com/

Looks like you did a good job.

Magsz
04-02-15, 12:44
Pl

Looks like you did a good job.

Thank you. The factory magwell dimensions are horrible on the classic M9 series frames and seriously need to be opened up. As it stands, the magwell is basically the width of the magazine with zero taper. I opened the magwell up quite a bit and put a fairly deep angled flare on it to maximize the amount of material i could remove. Its a very easy process if you have the proper tools and the only real requirement is patience. Opening up the front and the rear and getting the corners blended was probably the hardest part.

opngrnd
04-02-15, 13:01
Thank you. The factory magwell dimensions are horrible on the classic M9 series frames and seriously need to be opened up. As it stands, the magwell is basically the width of the magazine with zero taper. I opened the magwell up quite a bit and put a fairly deep angled flare on it to maximize the amount of material i could remove. Its a very easy process if you have the proper tools and the only real requirement is patience. Opening up the front and the rear and getting the corners blended was probably the hardest part.

It does look quite excellent. (When the time comes, I'll have AGW do mine.) What is the orange material on the front strap? Skateboard tape?

Doc Safari
04-14-15, 17:00
So, I've been searching and asking around and no one has seen an M9A3 yet, nor can any dealer I contacted tell me if the release date is imminent or not.

Any ETA on their being widely available (if different from previously quoted)?

opngrnd
04-14-15, 17:12
So, I've been searching and asking around and no one has seen an M9A3 yet, nor can any dealer I contacted tell me if the release date is imminent or not.

Any ETA on their being widely available (if different from previously quoted)?

Not that I've heard. Even on the phone with Beretta, they would not specify.

Exiledviking
04-14-15, 18:30
The Beretta people at the NRA show told a member of the Beretta forum:
"I asked about the M9A3 reaching civilians and was told it may be 3rd to 4th quarter of this year now.*
Of the 4 I saw on display, only one was in G configuration and it had the new style decocking lever. The others had the traditional lever and were FS configuration with one of those with the curved back strap grips."

cathellsk
04-14-15, 19:53
The Beretta people at the NRA show told a member of the Beretta forum:
"I asked about the M9A3 reaching civilians and was told it may be 3rd to 4th quarter of this year now.*
Of the 4 I saw on display, only one was in G configuration and it had the new style decocking lever. The others had the traditional lever and were FS configuration with one of those with the curved back strap grips."

That was me that posted that. What I didn't say was his body mannerisms when saying it. He kinda rolled his eyes and frowned that it's been pushed back. You could tell his was pissed and had to tell people it's going to be longer before we can get one.

I didn't really care for the arched blackstrap grip, felt bulkier than a regular grip. The new style lever was very nice, as was the fact it's convertible to G configuration.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee515/cathellsk/c758663c44475280dfe0f62b92577689.jpg

opngrnd
04-14-15, 23:23
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee515/cathellsk/c758663c44475280dfe0f62b92577689.jpg

That looks great!

I just ordered Wilson Combat's Chrome Silicon version of the D spring, along with their Mag Guide. While Brigadier #1 is staying stock for training purposes, Brigadier #2 is going to be made into a smooth handling shooter. I put 45 more round through #1 yesterday wearing gloves, and was happy to tear 2" ragged hole at 7 yards with it. I wasn't exactly trying to shoot Bullseye with it.

Magsz
04-15-15, 15:07
It does look quite excellent. (When the time comes, I'll have AGW do mine.) What is the orange material on the front strap? Skateboard tape?

Sorry that i just saw that question.

Yes sir, orange skate tape. It is from Dawson Precision and it is probably the worst quality skate tape ive ever used. Stick to the Jessup brand that you can find in colors on Amazon.

If you want to listen to me gripe about why the tape sucks. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXSEgHPpIdQ

HD1911
04-16-15, 20:55
Looking to get into my first Beretta M9... I have my eyes on a 92G-SD currently... but should I hold out for an M9A3?

Anyone care to shed light on the differences and pros/cons and give their opinion?

opngrnd
04-16-15, 21:08
Looking to get into my first Beretta M9... I have my eyes on a 92G-SD currently... but should I hold out for an M9A3?

Anyone care to shed light on the differences and pros/cons and give their opinion?

I would have definitely held out if I didn't have training to attend before they released the M9A3.

HD1911
04-16-15, 21:10
I would have definitely held out if I didn't have training to attend before they released the M9A3.

Might I ask how come? And care to give your thoughts on the 92G-SD? Also wondering if the Wilson Combat version is worth the coin or not.

opngrnd
04-16-15, 21:59
Might I ask how come? And care to give your thoughts on the 92G-SD? Also wondering if the Wilson Combat version is worth the coin or not.

I'm far from the most experienced with this platform, and hopefully some of the others will chime. Here's how I see it: you get the better grip size and angle, removable/replaceable front sight, beveled mag well, checkered front strap, and railed frame. I believe you can even get it in G mode, but I could be REALLY wrong about that, because I can't remember where I heard that.

As far as the 92G-SD, if I were going to spend that kind of money, I'd just get the Wilson Combat Brigadier and call it done. Had I known I was going to end up liking my Beretta so much, I might have sold my M&P off first and bought the WC, but I'm happy to end up with two Brigadiers, so no complaints. If I were starting from scratch later this year, didn't have a class to attend prior to the release of the M9A3, and wasn't attempting to say somewhat close to what I'm issued, I'd just want to wait for the M9A3. But that's me, your options might look totally different. As far as the Wilson Combat being worth it or not, I'd have gone that route if I could have.

Mags, Outlander, others with experience, what say ye?

mkmckinley
04-17-15, 09:42
I owned a 92G-SD and have handled an M9A3 in a vendor tent. My 92G-SD had impossibly good lockup and the "gotta have" features of the M9A3 including the dovetailed front sight and G decocker. I sold the 92G-SD unfired because the barrel was off axis. Wilson Combat stated that some tilt is within spec and shouldn't affect accuracy but it was enough to make me decide to sell the pistol. I believe it would have zeroed just fine but I wanted a $1200 pistol to be perfect for the extra $600 or so it cost over a standard M9. The M9A3 was nice but I noticed the barrel seemed surprisingly loose noting that I only handled it on a table and wasn't able to shoot it. The new decocker/safety design is great and the threaded barrel is a nice touch. I'm not sure what the MSRP is on the A3. It's kind of going to depend on what the end user wants. I consider the 92G-SD the best-in-class version of the M9 platform but you definitely pay for what you get. Grant's deal is probably the best thing going if you're in the market. The M9A3 seems to be sort of a product improved M9 and depending on the MSRP might be worth considering.

ralph
04-17-15, 09:45

The G-SD a nice pistol, and gives you a lot of options with it right out of the chute. I was at Grant's shop and I was at first going to buy a 92FS..ended up ponying up more money and bought a stainless Vertec. The Vertec gives you some worthwhile options that the G-SD has. Beveled mag well, removable sights (front and rear) light rail, and the biggest difference was the grip. This works well for me. From what I've read Vertec G's are on the way and although I'd prefer a G, I can deal with the safety/decocking lever it came with, as I only use it as a decocker anyway.. Myself,I don't know.. on one hand, the G-SD is a limited run, and will probably rise in value. I don't know if the Vertec is going back into production or not. I've read on another forum that it's supposed to be a limited run, But honestly, I don't know. You could look at a Vertec to get an idea what the M9A3 grip would be like, and see if you think it'd work for you. and if it doesn't, well there's your answer. For me, the difference between the 92FS's grip and the Vertec were enough that I gravitated towards the Vertec almost instantly..

Magsz
04-17-15, 11:11

Yes, absolutely.

Why would you spend over a grand on a collectors gun when you can have a production level gun that accomplishes basically the same thing? The brigadier slide is NOT needed unless you're going to be shooting a healthy dose of Nato spec pressure ammo. Most people that shoot um...really well, prefer the slide weight of the vertec slide as it reciprocates faster and is easier to track.

Hold out unless you're a collector and you've absolutely got to have that particular gun.

ralph
04-17-15, 12:32
A little off topic, But does anyone know what the difference is between a WC short trigger, and the standard Beretta 92 trigger??

opngrnd
04-26-15, 17:10
I'd be interested in knowing about the WC trigger as well. At the moment, it appears that my pistol shoots 2-3" high and left at 25 yards when shooting 124gr AE. I'm guessing that will change is I go back to shooting 115gr AE. Supposing that the 16# WC hammer spring isn't the culprit somehow, would someone here mind chiming in on adjusting/installing Beretta sights? There is no set screw, so I'd like some kind of confirmation that the sights are only friction fit.

ralph
04-26-15, 19:31
I'd be interested in knowing about the WC trigger as well. At the moment, it appears that my pistol shoots 2-3" high and left at 25 yards when shooting 124gr AE. I'm guessing that will change is I go back to shooting 115gr AE. Supposing that the 16# WC hammer spring isn't the culprit somehow, would someone here mind chiming in on adjusting/installing Beretta sights? There is no set screw, so I'd like some kind of confirmation that the sights are only friction fit.

Doing a little more research, as well as asking questions on other boards, I've found that the WC short reach trigger for the Beretta 92, is thinner towards the top. ( Top meaning towards the trigger pin hole) I was told on another board it's about .156 wide in this area..Looking on WC's site at a pic of a WC SRT installed, and comparing it to the trigger in my Vertec, you can see it's thinner in this area. I was also told that the holes in the WC trigger are slightly different as to allow the DA trigger pull to drop sooner. I don't know for sure. I've got one coming tomorrow, so, I'll find out. Everything I've read, says the differences are subtle..

Cagemonkey
04-26-15, 19:36
Another option for a Beretta 92/M9 is the INOX 92 Vertec, http://www.genitron.com/Handgun/Beretta/Pistol/92FS-Vertec-Inox/9-mm/Variant-1 . Picked one up this weekend. My local dealer as a bunch in stock. Plan on adding some Wilson upgrades, trigger job and some cerakoting.

opngrnd
04-26-15, 20:46
Doing a little more research, as well as asking questions on other boards, I've found that the WC short reach trigger for the Beretta 92, is thinner towards the top. ( Top meaning towards the trigger pin hole) I was told on another board it's about .156 wide in this area..Looking on WC's site at a pic of a WC SRT installed, and comparing it to the trigger in my Vertec, you can see it's thinner in this area. I was also told that the holes in the WC trigger are slightly different as to allow the DA trigger pull to drop sooner. I don't know for sure. I've got one coming tomorrow, so, I'll find out. Everything I've read, says the differences are subtle..

Even being subtle, the travel length is (to me) the biggest adjustment in getting used to a Beretta. Anything that drops the hammer sooner is my friend. On my range blaster(as opposed to the Beretta I bought for training purposes) I'll probably try the WC trigger along with the Wolff trigger spring unit when I get the slide converted to G mode.

ralph
04-27-15, 19:55
Well, WC SRT showed up today.. late. like 6:30..I got it installed and obviously haven't had a chance to live fire it. but, I have been dry-firing and this is what I've figured out so far..

Right off the bat, the DA pull feels smoother, lighter. Stacking seems to be a bit more towards the rear of the stroke, and feels like there's less of it.

The trigger is exactly where it needs to be for me. Before with the stock trigger I had to stretch my finger just a bit to get my first joint on the edge of the trigger. No more. The WC SRT is right there easy to find. Installation was easy, and straightforward, taking about 10 minutes or less. At first, I was having trouble pulling the trigger return spring back to install the trigger bar.. I remembered a youtube vid where a guy used a paper clip, straightened out one end and bent a small hook in it. I did this, hooked the TRS, and it worked perfectly, trigger bar went in easily. I highly recommend this method, it's much easier than digging around with other objects.

Now, the only complaint... It seems the trigger has some side to side play in it,(more than I like) and it could be that WC is using a slightly larger hole. I don't know, It could also be that the stock trigger had some plastic flashing on it, (mine did) and thus, was little tighter. The side to side play is not noticeable when dry-firing and I doubt one would notice it when actually firing.

All in all, the WC trigger feels "right" compared to the stock trigger for me anyway, if you have medium to small hands this trigger is worth considering The difference between it, and the stock trigger ARE noticeable, subtle as they are.

opngrnd
04-28-15, 05:50
Well, WC SRT showed up today.. late. like 6:30..I got it installed and obviously haven't had a chance to live fire it. but, I have been dry-firing and this is what I've figured out so far..

Right off the bat, the DA pull feels smoother, lighter. Stacking seems to be a bit more towards the rear of the stroke, and feels like there's less of it.

The trigger is exactly where it needs to be for me. Before with the stock trigger I had to stretch my finger just a bit to get my first joint on the edge of the trigger. No more. The WC SRT is right there easy to find. Installation was easy, and straightforward, taking about 10 minutes or less. At first, I was having trouble pulling the trigger return spring back to install the trigger bar.. I remembered a youtube vid where a guy used a paper clip, straightened out one end and bent a small hook in it. I did this, hooked the TRS, and it worked perfectly, trigger bar went in easily. I highly recommend this method, it's much easier than digging around with other objects.

Now, the only complaint... It seems the trigger has some side to side play in it,(more than I like) and it could be that WC is using a slightly larger hole. I don't know, It could also be that the stock trigger had some plastic flashing on it, (mine did) and thus, was little tighter. The side to side play is not noticeable when dry-firing and I doubt one would notice it when actually firing.

All in all, the WC trigger feels "right" compared to the stock trigger for me anyway, if you have medium to small hands this trigger is worth considering The difference between it, and the stock trigger ARE noticeable, subtle as they are.

Excellent! Thanks for the review, I'll have to try that next.

Magsz
04-28-15, 10:58
If you go to a 1911 hammer spring you're going to have less stacking. My Beretta trigger pulls were 100% linear from beginning to end due to the shorter hammer springs. This is something you will have to experiment with to maintain positive primer ignition.

Ive installed four WC short reach triggers and never had an issue with lateral play. You may want to consider asking Wilson about this if it bugs you.

ralph
04-28-15, 15:48
If you go to a 1911 hammer spring you're going to have less stacking. My Beretta trigger pulls were 100% linear from beginning to end due to the shorter hammer springs. This is something you will have to experiment with to maintain positive primer ignition.

Ive installed four WC short reach triggers and never had an issue with lateral play. You may want to consider asking Wilson about this if it bugs you.

I called WC about the lateral play.. And the person I talked to had never heard of it before.. They were supposed to get their Beretta person and ask him when he got back, (he was out at the time) I gave them my phone # and they said they'd call back.. They also offered to have me ship it back and exchange it. Frankly, I think they should pay for the shipping..(I guess I'm used to CS like Dillon's)The lateral play doesn't bother me that much, but then again, after paying almost $29 plus shipping for this trigger, I feel it should fit better than this. We'll see what happens..

Outlander Systems
04-28-15, 16:34
All this trigger talk makes me yearn for an Apex Beretta trigger.

The Apex FSS Kit for my M&P might have been the greatest trigger I've ever had the pleasure of squeezing.

With the manual safety on the Beretta, I'd have no qualms going to an extremely light trigger. Someone with connects, needs bark up ex's tree and get them on the Beretta bandwagon.

On a side note; does anyone know about replacing the trigger return spring on the 92A1 with the Wilson unit? I'm assuming the Polymer Coated trigger would need to be swapped out to Wilson's replacement.

ralph
04-28-15, 17:54
All this trigger talk makes me yearn for an Apex Beretta trigger.

The Apex FSS Kit for my M&P might have been the greatest trigger I've ever had the pleasure of squeezing.

With the manual safety on the Beretta, I'd have no qualms going to an extremely light trigger. Someone with connects, needs bark up ex's tree and get them on the Beretta bandwagon.

On a side note; does anyone know about replacing the trigger return spring on the 92A1 with the Wilson unit? I'm assuming the Polymer Coated trigger would need to be swapped out to Wilson's replacement.

If your talking about the Wolfe trigger return springs that Wilson sells, then yes, you need either a Wilson SRT or Beretta factory steel trigger. The Wolfe unit will not work with the factory installed polymer coated trigger, they only work with steel triggers. Replacing the TRS is pretty easy, and not nearly as nerve racking as Say, trying to replace a TRS in a HK, without the pliers that HK parts net sells...

Outlander Systems
04-28-15, 18:32
If your talking about the Wolfe trigger return springs that Wilson sells, then yes, you need either a Wilson SRT or Beretta factory steel trigger. The Wolfe unit will not work with the factory installed polymer coated trigger, they only work with steel triggers. Replacing the TRS is pretty easy, and not nearly as nerve racking as Say, trying to replace a TRS in a HK, without the pliers that HK parts net sells...

Thanks for the heads up.

ralph
04-28-15, 19:30
Well the more I thought about it the more I didn't like the lateral slop in the WC SRT.. So, I just got done pulling it back out and reinstalling the factory trigger. I took some measurements with my calipers before I switched back. Here's what I found:

Beretta trigger pin dia. .117
Beretta factory trigger pin hole dia. .120 (either side)

Wilson Combat SRT trigger pin hole dia. Right side .124 Left side .125

Difference between trigger pin hole/ trigger pin.
Beretta trigger .003
Wilson Combat SRT .007-.008
While I don't know what kind of tolerance WC allows on these triggers, I'd like to think it's tighter than this. I'm calling WC tomorrow and arrange a return/replacement..

UPDATE: Called WC, and my measurements were indeed correct, The problem is within the frame..WC tries to make these as a "drop in" part. It seems there are slight differences in the frames in the areas where the trigger sits, and some frames are wider than others in this area. I guess mine is one of these...So, there's really nothing I can do. I'm going to install the WC trigger, and I'll just have to deal with the lateral play. So, if anyone else runs across this, this is why.

ETA... Further measuring revealed that the root cause of the lateral play I had was from the oversize trigger pin hole found on the WC SRT. When measured against both the stock trigger, and a new factory steel trigger they are all identical, except in one area. The trigger pin hole. WC makes their trigger pin hole .125 in diameter the Beretta triggers measure .120for the polymer coated one, and .119 for the steel trigger. I doubt there's anything wrong with the area of my frame where the trigger sits. The WC SRT, is a good trigger, but for almost $29 plus shipping I don't think it's too much to ask that it fits at least as well as the factory triggers do.. I ended up installing the Beretta steel trigger, It fits much better, and feels as good as the WC unit did besides,it was cheaper and came with a D spring and trigger return spring..

Outlander Systems
05-07-15, 17:26
As a Public Service Announcement for 92A1 owners out there struggling to find a non-custom holster for your gat, I got you covered.

I can confirm that the Safariland 3085, 3084, and 6280 holsters will all fit the 92A1.

The 3085 and 3084 will fit any M9/92 based platform with every light I tried with it.

The model 6280 will fit the 92A1 with the Surefire X300 or X300V. Unfortunately, I don't have an X300U for comparison.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=33142&d=1431037555

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=33143&d=1431037583

6280-73421-131
6280 STX Tac SLS Hooded Level II Duty Holsters
Beretta 92F with SureFire MR-11 and X300 (4.9" bbl), STX Tactical, Right Handed

This model is marked for an Insight M3/M6 on the holster itself, so I'm confident it would work with the X400 as well.

opngrnd
05-07-15, 22:57
I put 100 more rounds through the Brigidier today. I've finally cracked the recoil timing issue, my first few times out had my double taps feeling more like slow pairs. I'd have to acquire the sights for both shots, now it falls right in sequence.

rm06
05-08-15, 14:24
As a Public Service Announcement for 92A1 owners out there struggling to find a non-custom holster for your gat, I got you covered.

I can confirm that the Safariland 3085, 3084, and 6280 holsters will all fit the 92A1.

6280-73421-131
6280 STX Tac SLS Hooded Level II Duty Holsters
Beretta 92F with SureFire MR-11 and X300 (4.9" bbl), STX Tactical, Right Handed

This model is marked for an Insight M3/M6 on the holster itself, so I'm confident it would work with the X400 as well.

I have the 6280-73421-131 that I use for a Wilson Brig Tac as well as a 92G-SD and can confirm it works with both the X300 and X300U

Outlander Systems
05-08-15, 16:41
I have the 6280-73421-131 that I use for a Wilson Brig Tac as well as a 92G-SD and can confirm it works with both the X300 and X300U

Leads me down a suspicious path...I think one might assume that this model holster might work with all M9/92 based pistols, and all Surefire lights...

opngrnd
08-29-15, 14:37
My Brig continues to impress me. I actually shoot it about as well, though not as fast, as my Colt 1911. I installed the WC Short Reach Trigger last night, and the difference it makes is much more noticeable than I thought it would be. The stock trigger always gave me that "reaching" feeling and the round shape of it made it a slight challenge to "feel" the trigger straight back in DA mode until the trigger was almost all the way back. With the SRT, my finger pretty much feels like it starts right where I want to be regarding trigger finger placement. It's not a night and day difference, but (for me) it is slightly more than subtle, and in just the way I'd like. For the first few minutes of dry fire, I almost wasn't sure I'd like it. The long pull feeling being reduced and the shorter reach almost make it feel...un-Beretta like. I'm going to go shoot it later today, if it does nothing more than maintain the ease of what the pistol has been doing for me on the range, I'll be happy. If it makes it easier somehow, I'll actually be inpressed. My next step is an extended mag release when WC gets the large button checkered one back in stock.

Doc Safari
09-14-16, 16:22
So, a little over a year later, are opinions the same? Of have some of you changed your minds?

ColtSeavers
09-14-16, 16:49
I have only had my 92a1 for a couple of months now, but I am extremely pleased with it.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?182572-Finally-bought-my-first-semi-auto-the-other-day

I want the wife to get one, but she just got a new AR, so I can't really complain.

ralph
09-14-16, 17:47
So, a little over a year later, are opinions the same? Of have some of you changed your minds?

Mine has'nt, I still take my Vertec out with me everytime I go to the range..It's a sweetheart to shoot.

ramairthree
09-15-16, 00:39
Beretta is hard to take sometimes.

The M9/92FS is a reliable, accurate, soft shooting pistol.
The trigger guard is huge. Meaning the "compact" can't get all that compact for a grip.
And the centurion/compact only lost half an inch in the upper length.

The subcompact gun that was supposed to be 92 mag compatible, the 9000s had a horrible trigger, a different manual of arms, hard to work controls, and reliability issues.

The other compact option, the Couagr L, had the same manual of arms, but a rotating barrel and was not magazine compatible.

The days of not being able to change your front sight are long over.
You can get a Brigadier. But the Brig means your Vertec or regular slide holsters are not quite compatible.

The Vertec was a nice railed gun, but the significant change in grip was too extreme for some. I have found it to grow on me.

The lights for the classic non railed M9/92FS are dated.
Plus they have variants with straight or sloped dust covers and the old lights only fit the straight.
The first railed update, the 90-two,
Had a confusing name, fashion company designed looks,
Slick grips, and incompatible for upper lower swapping with the classic line.

The 90-two recoil system was rolled into the 96 and 92A1. Giving you a rail, changeable front sight, etc. but only in FS mode and changing the trigger guard screwing up some holster and some light compatibility.

Wilson Combat came out with the Brig Tac, but again with a different trigger guard, a rear sight some do not like, and a tritium front. Too big for most CC situations, not ideal for production/SSP, no threaded barrel, and while a great gun I am not sure what its exact niche is supposed to be.

This spurred Beretta as a kick in the ass.
G models came back, but only in the non changeable front sight slide version. and Vertecs came back, but only in FS mode. And Brigadiers came back, but only in FS mode.

The Elite II frames, in my opinion the best non railed frame of the whole range of models, has not come back.
The Elite II uppers, the best of the Brig G uppers with front and rear serrations has not come back.

The M9A1, in my opinion the best of the railed lowers, only comes in FS mode with the fixed front sight.
(The M9A3 is a fantastic lower as well)

Which brings us to the M9A3.
Great lower, great upper,
But with expensive night sights that are not suppressor height,
And all the plastic parts we don't want to pay 1000$ for.
And has still only shown up in FS mode.

ShipWreck
09-18-16, 08:45
And all the plastic parts we don't want to pay 1000$ for.
And has still only shown up in FS mode.

Actually, the only plastic parts in the M9A3 are the guiderod and the lanyard loop. Everything else IS steel. And, the polymer guiderod actually requires no lubrication. I have left that alone in the two M9A3s I have. And - as for the lanyard loop - that honestly makes no difference to me that this is polymer. The metal version has the finish scratch off so easily, anyway.

Slater
09-18-16, 11:21
M9A3's seem to sell as quickly as they hit the shelves. Pretty impressive for a $1000 92-series gun.

ramairthree
09-18-16, 12:10
Don't mess with my yelling at clouds and kids on my grass.

ShipWreck
09-19-16, 05:40
Don't mess with my yelling at clouds and kids on my grass.

Haha. Well, sorry. I can't help if what you said wasn't true. Someone wanting to buy that gun might think that it was true and pass. Just wanted to set the record straight :P