PDA

View Full Version : Pursing a career as LEO?

Djstorm100
03-05-15, 23:30
This has been weight heavily on my mind for at least the last 2 years after I got denied for military service (found out I'm type 1 diabetic). My Grandfather was LEO for the small town I live in now back in the 70's. He's always told me I would make a fine LEO, but after all he is my Grandfather. I've always wanted to serve my country and while there are many different ways, I wanted to follow in my Dad's footsteps (Army). So I'm a no go for military service and since getting diagnose I found out most LEO's will take diabetics as long as they take care of their self.

So you're probably asking " Don't you have a job now?" "What's wrong with it?" I do have a nice ok job, I work two actually. The 2nd job is just on my own time repairing cars, I work when I want. My primary job is working at Caterpillar through a engineering service provider. Basically a glorified temp service. The benefits are good, however haven't seen a raise in 5 years but they (company I work for) is always saying how much money in profit we made and how things are going great. The division I'm in makes the major of the company profit. I know there's more to it but I've seen alot of people come and go because people get tired of the company's shit. I am to, I really am. I'm maxed out in my position and if I got my 4 year degree I'll get a slight bump in pay but still maxed out in position.

I could possibly get on the department in the next time, they start out right at about what I make now (primary income). The LT told me I could possible make more because I have 2 associate degrees and based on my BLET scores. He stated he likes the fact I shoot IDPA and other competitions.

While I would be fulfilling something I've wanted to do for a while, I'm worried I wouldn't see the wife as much. I'm home every night, yes I do work late some days to get my hours in sooner. But she works retails and hardly if ever gets two days in a row off. She just got promoted and will have her own store shortly. This could be only for a year or two as I would be a patrolman. Could get promoted to whatever job with in the force for Narc, Detective, SRT, etc

I'm really at a cross roads and just looking for a wisdom. of people that are in this field. I'll be 28 this year, so I'm not getting any younger.

MBtech
03-06-15, 00:33
I'm not in the field but I can relate to your situation so you can take it with a grain of salt. Pursue what you want to do. If you can and it's something you want to do go for it full steam ahead. I say this as a civilian. My father was a Conservation Officer for 35 years, my sister was a USAF pilot in Desert Storm and then flew commercial afterwords. I did not pursue MIL/LE when I was younger and by the time I wanted to it was too late as I had spine surgery and was rejected unless they were accepting medical waivers. Now I'm over the age limit and "to old and broke down" as "they" see it. Even though I still feel like I could be more than enough to meet requirements but that's a different story. Just don't wait until it's too late if it is something you really want to do and you and your wife can agree on it.

BoringGuy45
03-06-15, 00:43
I don't know what the LEO job market is like where you are, but for the most the country, even with all that's going on, it's extraordinarily hard to get on with most departments. There's probably no job market more difficult to break into than law enforcement officer. Right now, with a real buyers market going on for job candidates, PDs are extremely picky. It's not uncommon for departments not to find a single candidate they deem qualified out of 10,000 applicants. A lot of departments are looking for the "perfect" candidate: Someone with an incredible resume and a background cleaner than Jesus Christ. Background investigations are not as much to find if you're qualified for the job as they are looking for reasons not to hire you.

If you really feel driven to work in law enforcement, I say go for it. But, you really, really have to want to be a cop to go through all the crap they put you through to get on the job. It's not one of those, "Eh, it's a paycheck," type of deals. Trust me, I've been trying for years to no avail. I might have a shot this year with a couple of departments, but then again, I also have some ocean front property in Nebraska to sell you.

MBtech
03-06-15, 01:00
It's not uncommon for departments not to find a single candidate they deem qualified out of 10,000 applicants. A lot of departments are looking for the "perfect" candidate: Someone with an incredible resume and a background cleaner than Jesus Christ.

Really? I'm sure it's a strict procedure as it should be, but 1 out of 10,000? That is a shocking extreme percentage.

SteyrAUG
03-06-15, 03:09
I hate to be a downer but a metric ton of former military are now in the job market and you are in line behind every single one of them that might be even slightly interested in law enforcement.

jpmuscle
03-06-15, 03:37
Really? I'm sure it's a strict procedure as it should be, but 1 out of 10,000? That is a shocking extreme percentage.

I hate to be a downer but a metric ton of former military are now in the job market and you are in line behind every single one of them that might be even slightly interested in law enforcement.
Unfortunate reality. I've processed through a number of departments where after jumping through all the hoops, time, and money expended they selected wholely from their prior service applicant pool. I'm not saying it's right, I'm not saying it's bs but it is what it is.

Another b*tch is that most departments, agencies, etc are more concerned about screening out the worst applicant rather than screening in the best. Subtle difference but it makes for significant change in evaluation and processing methodologies IMO.

Djstorm100
03-06-15, 06:07
I have a "friend" that has some military experience that is a LEO but when it comes to just basic logical functions the guy is a idiot.

My plan is to do a ride along at someone in the next few weeks and sit down and take with the LT. I need to have a sponsor in order to attend BLET in my area. Not sure if that is country wide or just local to my area.

bp7178
03-06-15, 06:46
It's not uncommon for departments not to find a single candidate they deem qualified out of 10,000 applicants.

That's absolutely not true.

You're going to miss some stuff with your family, especially starting out. But, its not that you can't make it work, its just that it takes work. If your wife works varying hours, you may find the non conventional schedule works better for you.

All that aside, if you aren't happy with your current work, how much are you really bringing to the table at home? If you were well satisfied in your career I'd wager you would feel better overall and be a better spouse.

Eurodriver
03-06-15, 07:23

This. I've had two department recruiters call me offering a sponsored position in the academy. One agency was reallllllyyyyy tempting.

I don't mean to be a downer, OP, but look at it like this: Why is a department going to take on a diabetic with skills as a mechanic and no bachelors degree when they can take on any of the thousands of .mil that they know aren't going to get half way through the academy and go "**** this. These dudes treat me like shit. I'm out"

Military hires are safe - departments know they can run, know they are used to being treated like dirt, and many hate school so they don't really have options other than LE anyway.

Of course there are a ton of .mil who are slackers and low lives, but many aren't. Not sure I agree that they select 1 out of 10,000 (I personally know 4 prior mil that went on to a local SO. I doubt they beat out 39,996 other guys) but from what I've seen they really like hiring former military.

Also, I specifically asked both recruiters this question and they both said "As a new hire, you'll be working midnights in the hood with the Sergeant that nobody likes." The hood around here is the hood. 3 LEOs were killed withinin a few weeks of each other here. Two were just shot during an ambush on Wednesday.

Shit, at least in Iraq you're in an armored vehicle with a machine gun on top. The $48k/yr they were offering isn't worth being the next Darren Wilson.

I know this sounds a bit like "You're screwed, just give up" so I'll give some advice.

#1 needs to be getting your bachelors degree. Even though it's just a piece a paper at this point, it's still seen as showing that you can accomplish something. College doesn't measure intelligence, just dedication.

#2 would be getting into insanely good physical shape. Run 3 miles in 20 minutes or less when it's raining and you've got a cold.

#3 is make sure your record is spotless. Even traffic citations, if they're bad enough, will mess you up. The FBI AC I'm currently speaking with is still making a really big deal about my failure to pay a toll violation. We spoke for 20 minutes about it, but I think he was just trying to see if I was in a "motorcycle gang" or something. All of this even though the judge withheld adjudication and it resulted in no points. It's an integrity thing.

Djstorm100
03-06-15, 07:50
This. I've had two department recruiters call me offering a sponsored position in the academy. One agency was reallllllyyyyy tempting.

I don't mean to be a downer, OP, but look at it like this: Why is a department going to take on a diabetic with skills as a mechanic and no bachelors degree when they can take on any of the thousands of .mil that they know aren't going to get half way through the academy and go "**** this. These dudes treat me like shit. I'm out"

Military hires are safe - departments know they can run, know they are used to being treated like dirt, and many hate school so they don't really have options other than LE anyway.

Of course there are a ton of .mil who are slackers and low lives, but many aren't. Not sure I agree that they select 1 out of 10,000 (I personally know 4 prior mil that went on to a local SO. I doubt they beat out 39,996 other guys) but from what I've seen they really like hiring former military.

Also, I specifically asked both recruiters this question and they both said "As a new hire, you'll be working midnights in the hood with the Sergeant that nobody likes." The hood around here is the hood. 3 LEOs were killed withinin a few weeks of each other here. Two were just shot during an ambush on Wednesday.

Shit, at least in Iraq you're in an armored vehicle with a machine gun on top. The $48k/yr they were offering isn't worth being the next Darren Wilson.

I know this sounds a bit like "You're screwed, just give up" so I'll give some advice.

#1 needs to be getting your bachelors degree. Even though it's just a piece a paper at this point, it's still seen as showing that you can accomplish something. College doesn't measure intelligence, just dedication.

#2 would be getting into insanely good physical shape. Run 3 miles in 20 minutes or less when it's raining and you've got a cold.

#3 is make sure your record is spotless. Even traffic citations, if they're bad enough, will mess you up. The FBI AC I'm currently speaking with is still making a really big deal about my failure to pay a toll violation. We spoke for 20 minutes about it, but I think he was just trying to see if I was in a "motorcycle gang" or something. All of this even though the judge withheld adjudication and it resulted in no points. It's an integrity thing.

Being that I'm a type one diabetic means, if you met me it would just add to this statement, that I take care of my self. Both because I want to but I have to as well. This is the first thing I've asked LEO's when I've talked to them. Am I in physical shape? I consider it to be, of course I could be better. Hell we all could. School is not on the table at this point because of there are not any schools in state that offer online degrees that would take me 2 or 3 years to complete. My current degrees are in Mechanical Engineering Technology and Mechanical Drafting. By the time I get the degree and then say "Ok now pursue I want to be leo" I'll be 31 minimum.

This is my biggest problem with being a diabetic that truly pisses me off. The issue I find is not alot of people know about diabetes or the different types. If I had a dollar for every time I heard "Yea my best friend's mom's sister cousin once had diabetes but they cured it" I would be on my own island. I'm a label is placed on my head and judgement is somewhat pasted before I'm state why I want to be a LEO or why I feel I would be a good candidate for sponsorship.
Just last week, one of our higher bosses came in to a lunch in and I ate a piece of apple pie. He makes the commit loud enough for half of the table to hear "You shouldn't eat that, you're diabetic" My boss knew I was pissed and my reply while laughing to soften the blow was "Well some of us shouldn't have had a 4th plate of food" (we were at a local buffet).

jondoe297
03-06-15, 07:56
If you really want to get into L.E., then go for it. You may not get on with the department you want, but someone will hire you. Even if you have to do a couple of years at a less desirable agency, do it.

Djstorm100
03-06-15, 08:30
If you really want to get into L.E., then go for it. You may not get on with the department you want, but someone will hire you. Even if you have to do a couple of years at a less desirable agency, do it.

Right, because it's a foot in the door and experience.

Alex V
03-06-15, 08:32
If this is something you truly want, go for it and don't let the naysayers slow you down. I had a chance to go to the USNA and pussied out. Now I regret it almost every day of my life. If you can't get in with the department you want, at least you gave it your all. Don't live with regrets or what-ifs.

WillBrink
03-06-15, 08:44
This has been weight heavily on my mind for at least the last 2 years after I got denied for military service (found out I'm type 1 diabetic). My Grandfather was LEO for the small town I live in now back in the 70's. He's always told me I would make a fine LEO, but after all he is my Grandfather. I've always wanted to serve my country and while there are many different ways, I wanted to follow in my Dad's footsteps (Army). So I'm a no go for military service and since getting diagnose I found out most LEO's will take diabetics as long as they take care of their self.

So you're probably asking " Don't you have a job now?" "What's wrong with it?" I do have a nice ok job, I work two actually. The 2nd job is just on my own time repairing cars, I work when I want. My primary job is working at Caterpillar through a engineering service provider. Basically a glorified temp service. The benefits are good, however haven't seen a raise in 5 years but they (company I work for) is always saying how much money in profit we made and how things are going great. The division I'm in makes the major of the company profit. I know there's more to it but I've seen alot of people come and go because people get tired of the company's shit. I am to, I really am. I'm maxed out in my position and if I got my 4 year degree I'll get a slight bump in pay but still maxed out in position.

I could possibly get on the department in the next time, they start out right at about what I make now (primary income). The LT told me I could possible make more because I have 2 associate degrees and based on my BLET scores. He stated he likes the fact I shoot IDPA and other competitions.

While I would be fulfilling something I've wanted to do for a while, I'm worried I wouldn't see the wife as much. I'm home every night, yes I do work late some days to get my hours in sooner. But she works retails and hardly if ever gets two days in a row off. She just got promoted and will have her own store shortly. This could be only for a year or two as I would be a patrolman. Could get promoted to whatever job with in the force for Narc, Detective, SRT, etc

I'm really at a cross roads and just looking for a wisdom. of people that are in this field. I'll be 28 this year, so I'm not getting any younger.

A good place to ask the above Qs is the "Ask a cop" section of Officer.com forums: http://www.officer.com/

The "I'm considering a career in LE and could use some direction" are common there and they will give you solid perspective and advice.

Good luck!

Djstorm100
03-06-15, 08:55
A good place to ask the above Qs is the "Ask a cop" section of Officer.com forums: http://www.officer.com/

The "I'm considering a career in LE and could use some direction" are common there and they will give you solid perspective and advice.

Good luck!

Thanks Will and everyone else. I'll join up later today and listen to what these guys have to say.

SkiDevil
03-06-15, 09:43
If it is something that you truly want to do then go for it. Will's suggestion is good.

One that I would make is to schedule a few ride-a-longs with agencies local to your area. Most LE Departments offer this service. It may be worthwhile to write down some questions as to the job requirements, work scheduling, promotional opportunities, physical standards, merit/ salary steps, benefits, etc.

Go to your local library and pick-up a few books on Civil service exams.

If your writing skills are not to par take a few English courses. They will not teach you grammar or punctuation in the academy or in your field training. A great book is Kate Turabian's 'Manual to Writing.'

Learn what the physical standards are for the local academy are and start training to them (likely push-ups, sit-ups, running, pull-ups, etc.).

Contact your local community college or law enforcement academy and see what Post Officers Standard of Training is available to non-sworn persons. There may be reserve level training modules available for you to complete at your expense.
-During your Oral Interview, the training and ride alongs would provide some discussion as to what you have done to prepare for a career in Law Enforcement.

Check your driving record and credit. Be ready to explain any discrepancies.

Last suggestion, do not place all of your apples in one basket. Apply to multiple agencies (don't rule out Fed LE, usajobs.com)

Good luck to you.

BoringGuy45
03-06-15, 09:56

That's not entirely true anymore. About 5 years ago it was, but there's been a huge push lately to get diversified experience into the ranks of PDs. Now, it's true that this does remain the case in some places, such as Massachusetts and New Jersey, who both give absolute preference to veterans on their civil service rankings. Basically, for those unfamiliar with "absolute preference", that means a veteran or other preferred person will always be ranked higher on a civil service list, regardless of the written test score. A score of 75+vet preference will trump a 100 with no vet preference. However, that system is the exception, not the rule. Most civil service organizations will give extra 5-10 points on the test to vets and veteran status can be used as as tiebreaker in final hiring decisions, but having military service no longer makes a guy a shoe in for an LEO job.

Djstorm100
03-06-15, 10:02
If it is something that you truly want to do then go for it. Will's suggestion is good.

One that I would make is to schedule a few ride-a-longs with agencies local to your area. Most LE Departments offer this service. It may be worthwhile to write down some questions as to the job requirements, work scheduling, promotional opportunities, physical standards, merit/ salary steps, benefits, etc.

Go to your local library and pick-up a few books on Civil service exams.

If your writing skills are not to par take a few English courses. They will not teach you grammar or punctuation in the academy or in your field training. A great book is Kate Turabian's 'Manual to Writing.'

Learn what the physical standards are for the local academy are and start training to them (likely push-ups, sit-ups, running, pull-ups, etc.).

Contact your local community college or law enforcement academy and see what Post Officers Standard of Training is available to non-sworn persons. There may be reserve level training modules available for you to complete at your expense.
-During your Oral Interview, the training and ride alongs would provide some discussion as to what you have done to prepare for a career in Law Enforcement.

Check your driving record and credit. Be ready to explain any discrepancies.

Last suggestion, do not place all of your apples in one basket. Apply to multiple agencies (don't rule out Fed LE, usajobs.com)

Good luck to you.

Thanks. I've actually went to usajobs.com to fine jobs of what I do now. I'm tired of the corp. America bull. How the company I work for really screws us but it is long term work, for the most part, and they know this.

Grizzly16
03-06-15, 10:51
Thanks. I've actually went to usajobs.com to fine jobs of what I do now. I'm tired of the corp. America bull. How the company I work for really screws us but it is long term work, for the most part, and they know this.

Public or private you are going to get screwed over by bosses. Work for yourself and get screwed over by the economy or crazy customers. Accept it and find a career you love enough to offset the bull.

WickedWillis
03-06-15, 10:58
I am in a very similar boat as you. I have a good job now, that has decent benefits and pays very well (for the area) but I have always had that draw to get into law enforcement. Always been clawing at the back of my mind. A very good friend of mine recently started working for the local Sheriff's department, and they have a hard time keeping Officers because a city close by pays more. So the guys cut their teeth over here and then move on. They are looking to hire atleast 10 new officers, and he is really on me to sign up. I have spent the last year getting my credit and debt paid off, and taking better care of myself in case the positions opened up. I am still not where I really want to be physically though, even though I am much better off from where I started. Good luck my friend.

markm
03-06-15, 11:12
Definitely take that ride along. It may change your perception of things... positively or negatively.

TF82
03-06-15, 14:20
A couple of things to keep in mind, no matter where you work someone is going to screw you over. I know unions aren't super popular here, but if it weren't for mine the city council would probably give us a pay decrease every year no matter what. Also, be prepared for people who don't know anything about you to hate you. Even decent people. Really, cops are really unpopular right now. Finally, don't take the job unless you want to be a BONE STOCK PATROLMAN. Too many people want to be detectives or SWAT or any number of specialties, but when you become a cop that's all you are and its all you might ever be. Promotions are based largely on test scores, politics or a combination. The best guy in the world could spend 20 years as a patrolman. I'm not saying you have to want to be that forever but make sure that it's what you want to do right now.

The last thing I'll tell you is, be prepared for it not to work out. Since you already have a real job it seems like you're set in this regard but a lot of people pretty much put all their eggs in this basket. I know a guy who has a bachelors degree in criminal justice, did an internship with us and is now working as our dispatcher. He's a nice guy, has a clean record, lives locally and is engaged to a retired Lt.'s daughter. He just got a 75 on the test which is only given every 4 years. He's basically screwed for the next 4 years.