PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6220 LE or Sig 556

fowler
03-08-15, 10:10
I prefer the Colt 6920 ,but whats all the banter on the Sig?? Ya or nay?

n517rv
03-08-15, 10:20
I think you meant Colt 6920. Colt 6920 hands down. Parts are more common, it's lighter, more proven, etc.

JoshNC
03-08-15, 10:37
Sig 556 was poorly executed from the start. Buy the 6920.

fowler
03-08-15, 11:30
Yep I meant 6920. The stock M4 L.E.

BufordTJustice
03-08-15, 12:22
Sig 556 was poorly executed from the start. Buy the 6920.
This. Get the Magpul edition and be done with it.

Nightstalker865
03-08-15, 12:34
I thought this was a joke from the title.

Buy the LE-6920 and don't look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BatteryOperated
03-08-15, 12:39
This. Get the Magpul edition and be done with it.

With all the eye candy in production, I doubt the Magpul furniture will stay on for very long.:cool:

fowler
03-08-15, 15:25
Just gonna leave it stock ,if not broken why fix it.

kirkland
03-08-15, 16:28
how much are the colts going for now? if they're still hovering around $900 that's a damn good price for what you get.

MBtech
03-08-15, 17:36
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=471828074

I've seen them several places for well under $1k

noonesshowmonkey
03-08-15, 17:40
Why all the Sig556 hate? Few fellas I know have 556xi's and 556Rs and absolutely love them. Can't be beat for SBR, with the folding stock reducing the overall length so significantly.

kirkland
03-08-15, 18:33
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=471828074

I've seen them several places for well under $1k

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=471314200
I was looking around and noticed these on gunbroker too, looks like a good option if someone was going to change out the furniture anyway.

MBtech
03-08-15, 18:45
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=471314200
I was looking around and noticed these on gunbroker too, looks like a good option if someone was going to change out the furniture anyway.

There you go, deck it out to your liking

Zirk208
03-08-15, 19:45
There you go, deck it out to your liking

The OEM 2 comes with a factory shaved front site base. Even better if you plan to go with a longer rail/tube.

JoshNC
03-08-15, 20:17
Why all the Sig556 hate? Few fellas I know have 556xi's and 556Rs and absolutely love them. Can't be beat for SBR, with the folding stock reducing the overall length so significantly.

The entire 556 series is a poorly executed SIG 551-2 variant. Why the hate?
1. Too many corners cut when compared to Swiss 55x
2. Tapco/Command Arms quality of (non-Swiss) furniture
3. Airsoft grade optics and accessories
4. Industry-leading piss poor QC/QA with myriad documented issues throughout production

The 556 was a turd from the start. One can get lucky and find rifles without issue, but even so Sig Sauer massively missed the mark. One need only look at Steyr, FN, Beretta, IWI, CZ USA, and Arsenal to see that a properly done foreign import that is 922(r) compliant is very feasible without cutting corners. In order to have a 556 that is truly up to par, one must spend a great deal of money to have a Swiss optic rail and/or Swiss rear diopter housing welded in place, replace furniture with Swiss furniture (if applicable; some 556s had Swiss furniture), add a Swiss lower, and only do so AFTER ensuring that the host 556 is free of manufacturing defects that slipped through the QC/QA process. And after doing all of this the cost is close to that of a Swiss 553 Pistol.

The current 553 Pistols are ideal SBRs. Comparing the 556 series to the Swiss 55x series is analogous to comparing a DPMS AR15 to a KAC SR15.

Hwikek
03-08-15, 23:26
3. Airsoft grade optics and accessories

I understand the bulk of your comments talking about how these guns are not faithful members of the 550 series but I'm not quite sure how this conclusion was reached. From what I understand the 556 is compatible with 1913 style rails and therefore you can mount all types of accessories. It also comes with a standard optics rail mounted on top of the receiver that is also of the 1913 style. The new 556xi comes with a hand guard that accepts MOE style attachments and can therefore accept MLOK and 1913 style accessories with the right adapters or rails installed.

Unless you're saying that the only 1913 rails that can be attached are junk then I don't know how you can make a valid claim that your third point is a design or support issue for the rifle, especially in regards to optics. Maybe you're saying that since the base mounting surface of the hand guard isn't of a high quality that any accessory that is mounted to it is not going to have as a high durability. However I don't see how that applies to the optics as an owner can place any type of optic onto the rifle that can be adapted to fit a 1913 rail. Perhaps when you're talking about accessories you are referring to cheek riders or something similar?

Could you clarify this statement?

ginzomatic
03-09-15, 00:12
I have both. Get the Colt. The Sig is fun to mess around with on the range, but it's heavy as hell and a gigantic pain in the balls to dissassemble. I also wouldn't trust it in a fight. The colt, I would.

Flankenstein
03-09-15, 00:16

CRAMBONE
03-09-15, 04:25
I understand the bulk of your comments talking about how these guns are not faithful members of the 550 series but I'm not quite sure how this conclusion was reached. From what I understand the 556 is compatible with 1913 style rails and therefore you can mount all types of accessories. It also comes with a standard optics rail mounted on top of the receiver that is also of the 1913 style. The new 556xi comes with a hand guard that accepts MOE style attachments and can therefore accept MLOK and 1913 style accessories with the right adapters or rails installed.

Unless you're saying that the only 1913 rails that can be attached are junk then I don't know how you can make a valid claim that your third point is a design or support issue for the rifle, especially in regards to optics. Maybe you're saying that since the base mounting surface of the hand guard isn't of a high quality that any accessory that is mounted to it is not going to have as a high durability. However I don't see how that applies to the optics as an owner can place any type of optic onto the rifle that can be adapted to fit a 1913 rail. Perhaps when you're talking about accessories you are referring to cheek riders or something similar?

Could you clarify this statement?

Pretty sure he is talking about the Sig branded optics that were/are shipped with some models.

svtpwnz
03-09-15, 10:01
The Colt hands down for the reasons others have stated in this thread. It's a damn great deal for what you get at less than $1k. I purchased my third Colt for Christmas and plan on keeping it simple. It's the 6920MP OD with the factory OD receivers and I got it for $915 shipped.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr7/honkonthree/476FF1EE-DAB4-4D40-BDFE-C67B1021A5B8_zpseakvv69i.jpg (http://s464.photobucket.com/user/honkonthree/media/476FF1EE-DAB4-4D40-BDFE-C67B1021A5B8_zpseakvv69i.jpg.html)
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr7/honkonthree/41B03C31-3AC0-41B6-8E68-EA0DE6225DEA_zps1qbfth9b.jpg (http://s464.photobucket.com/user/honkonthree/media/41B03C31-3AC0-41B6-8E68-EA0DE6225DEA_zps1qbfth9b.jpg.html)
I've only added a Raptor CH and an Aimpoint PRO.

Hwikek
03-09-15, 11:40
Pretty sure he is talking about the Sig branded optics that were/are shipped with some models.

I don't want to sound dismissive but I personally feel that my previous point still stands. Despite the type of optic it does or does not ship with you can still place on it any type of optic you desire. I'm not saying that there aren't problems with the rifle as it comes from the factory, I honestly don't know, all I'm trying to say is that I'd like clarification on that issue he mentioned earlier.

JoshNC
03-09-15, 15:12
I understand the bulk of your comments talking about how these guns are not faithful members of the 550 series but I'm not quite sure how this conclusion was reached. From what I understand the 556 is compatible with 1913 style rails and therefore you can mount all types of accessories. It also comes with a standard optics rail mounted on top of the receiver that is also of the 1913 style. The new 556xi comes with a hand guard that accepts MOE style attachments and can therefore accept MLOK and 1913 style accessories

My conclusion was reached based upon direct comparison. I currently own seven Swiss 55x rifles, previously owned two more, had at least four other Swiss 55x in my hands, currently own three 556 series, and previously owned two others 556. I have also had multiple 556 in my hands at a friend's shop.

I cannot comment on the 556xi, as I don't own one and likely never will.

I don't want to sound dismissive but I personally feel that my previous point still stands. Despite the type of optic it does or does not ship with you can still place on it any type of optic you desire. I'm not saying that there aren't problems with the rifle as it comes from the factory, I honestly don't know, all I'm trying to say is that I'd like clarification on that issue he mentioned earlier.

By optics I mean the cheesy red dot sights that shipped with the rifles. The cheesy accessories are too many to list. Adding such garbage to the platform shows how Sig regards the 556 series. They adopted a lowest common denominator approach and it shows. Yes, the top rails (which are not optics) are 1913 spec, but so are the optics rails on a DPMS Sportical. Does that make the Sportical a rifle worth owning?

Hwikek
03-09-15, 15:26
By optics I mean the cheesy red dot sights that shipped with the rifles. The cheesy accessories are too many to list. Adding such garbage to the platform shows how Sig regards the 556 series. They adopted a lowest common denominator approach and it shows. Yes, the top rail is 1913 spec, but so is the optic rail on a DPMS Sportical. Does that make the Sportical a rifle worth owning?

I never said that I was defending the 556 series, I just said I'm not sure how you can hold certain optics as proof against the credibility of a rifle's design if that rifle can readily accept other optics. As to whether the other accessories that mount to a 556 are low quality, heck that is true. Sig has made a lot of cheesy stuff in recent years.

JoshNC
03-09-15, 18:25
I never said that I was defending the 556 series, I just said I'm not sure how you can hold certain optics as proof against the credibility of a rifle's design if that rifle can readily accept other optics. As to whether the other accessories that mount to a 556 are low quality, heck that is true. Sig has made a lot of cheesy stuff in recent years.

I understand. If Lamborghini started offering wheels made in China on the Aventador, I would question the company's mission statement. Similarly when Sig offers garbage accessories made in Asia, I question their commitment to selling quality items meant for hard use. I'm a lowly civilian, so in reality having top tier firearms and accessories is simply a hobby pursuit. However, I enjoy collecting and shooting top quality items and adhere to the "buy once cry once" philosophy. I don't buy crap firearms, accessories or optics. Sig Sauer used the credibility of the SIG/SwissArms name and reputation to sell the 556 series, which fell very far short of the mark. The optics and accessories are indicative of their slide into the Walmart mentality.

noonesshowmonkey
03-10-15, 20:29
I understand. If Lamborghini started offering wheels made in China on the Aventador, I would question the company's mission statement. Similarly when Sig offers garbage accessories made in Asia, I question their commitment to selling quality items meant for hard use. I'm a lowly civilian, so in reality having top tier firearms and accessories is simply a hobby pursuit. However, I enjoy collecting and shooting top quality items and adhere to the "buy once cry once" philosophy. I don't buy crap firearms, accessories or optics. Sig Sauer used the credibility of the SIG/SwissArms name and reputation to sell the 556 series, which fell very far short of the mark. The optics and accessories are indicative of their slide into the Walmart mentality.

As a disclaimer, I do not own a 556 (but would like to).

While they are not 551-553 rifles, they are also not $4-10k.

I don't care about crappy SIG optics, as any 556xi that I owned would run an Aimpoint, and the Sig optic would be in the trash.

I also don't particularly care if the sights aren't up to par. Putting a set of Troy or MI sights (or whoever) on is still not going to tip the cost over what a 55X costs. Point of fact, the last time I handled a 556xi, I think it might have even been wearing a set of Samson sights...

For the price ($1100 or so when you see them on sale), if you don't get a QC/QA abortion, they are pretty nice.

GregP220
03-11-15, 07:56
For the price ($1100 or so when you see them on sale), if you don't get a QC/QA abortion, they are pretty nice.

You don't wonder where else they cut corners?

Buy the Colt