PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on Getting a Upper

RudyN
03-08-15, 22:19
I have a AR lower that is sitting in my safe feeling lonely. I am leaning toward a Daniel Defense DDM4V3 and was wondering if anyone here has had any experiencer with one?

Hwikek
03-08-15, 23:00
If you're looking at DD uppers then I would suggest the V5 unless there is a reason you want either the FSB or a shorter rail. Otherwise I'd personally choose the V5 since I can get my support hand closer towards the muzzle to improve shot to shot time and help manage recoil.

Uprange41
03-09-15, 01:35
You'll be hard-pressed to find someone with a bad thing to say about DD's uppers. I really like the V3, but then again, I also really like a fixed FSB and their A1.5 rear. Ever since the Lite Rail III, I've salivated over the V3.

Perfect workhorse carbine, in my opinion and with my own preferences in mind. But really, it's just going to come down to whether you like the rail. That's a good chunk of the cost, considering a BCM BFH upper will give you much of the same quality for $515, add $70 for the rear sight and $40 for the charging handle, and the difference in cost is exactly the cost of the LR3 (about $365).

Sasahara
03-09-15, 11:29
If you need a FSB then by all means go for it. I had no need for a FSB and went with a v5. The newer rail profiles are really nice. Guessing you want to stay with 1913 rails? Do yourself a favor and grab a heavier buffer btw because DD barrels are generally overgassed to shoot a wider range of ammo.

Not dissing DD at all since I love mine and would not give a second thought to owning another (and my shooting buddies love shooting it as well) but I keep hearing insanely good things about the ELW/KMR combo so you might want to check that out too if you don't mind keymod.

Hwikek
03-09-15, 11:36
If you need a FSB then by all means go for it. I had no need for a FSB and went with a v5. The newer rail profiles are really nice. Guessing you want to stay with 1913 rails? Do yourself a favor and grab a heavier buffer btw because DD barrels are generally overgassed to shoot a wider range of ammo.

That's odd, from what I understand their gas ports are either too small or too big depending on whether it is an MK18 or a mid length. At least that's how it was in the past, I personally suspect that either my V5LW has a smaller sized gas port, or Herters ammo is underpowered or both are true. Either way I'd still recommend a DD upper. Can't say the same for Herters ammo.

Tigereye
03-09-15, 20:43
I don't have a V3 but I do have a V1, V5, and V7. I do like me some DD rifles.

Noodles
03-09-15, 20:49
That's odd, from what I understand their gas ports are either too small or too big depending on whether it is an MK18 or a mid length. At least that's how it was in the past, I personally suspect that either my V5LW has a smaller sized gas port, or Herters ammo is underpowered or both are true. Either way I'd still recommend a DD upper. Can't say the same for Herters ammo.

First I've ever heard of a DD having a normal or too small sized gas port. Fwiw, I am under the impression their mil-spec (ACTUAL military specified/specification) Mk18 does run a smaller port than their commercial Mk18 as the mil will run hotter 556 than Charlie Cheappants who thinks Tula 223 is a good idea.

I will say my DD 12.5 barrel was one of the most accurate short barrels I've ever had. I have a Satern 13.7 that definitely wasn't as good and that was stainless non-chrome.

Pick your battles I guess... If the DD does end up being over gassed for the guy, it's not like there aren't 20 options to fix that now.

RudyN
03-22-15, 13:28
I finally decided and ordered the DDM4V3. Now just have to wait and buy some more 556.

Sent from the Telegraph Office