PDA

View Full Version : 3,600 yard shot

platoonDaddy
03-09-15, 00:32
Unbelievable !

Imagine aiming your rifle at a 36″ target placed 3,600 yards away, knowing that somewhere around seven seconds will pass between the time you pull the trigger and impact.

Seems almost impossible, right?

Not for a team from Hill Country Rifles, who partnered with expert instructors from FTW Ranch to attempt the shot.

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/03/262838-shooter-goes-distance-attempts-make-mind-blowing-3600-yard-rifle-shot/?utm_source=afternoonalert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email

dwhitehorne
03-09-15, 02:54
That's just crazy. At that distance you have to start factoring in the curvature of the earth. :D David

jpmuscle
03-09-15, 06:46
Man, I love me some 375 Cheytac.

Watrdawg
03-09-15, 07:28
I also love their rifles! About 10 years ago I had them completely rework my Rem 700 300 Win Mag. They installed a magnum contoured Lilja barrel. blue printed the action, squared the lugs, mounted the action and glass bedded it in a HS Precision stock and installed a Jewel Trigger. They guaranteed that it would shoot a 3 shot group .5" or less at 100 yards. The sent me a target showing a .35" group with regular ole Hornady 180gr spire pt. ammo. Most everything I've shot out of it keeps 5 shot groups at less than .5"

What an amazing shot!! Looks like he did it in only 3 shots!!

Eurodriver
03-09-15, 07:34
Look at 1:12

The cant on that Picatinny rail is extreme. I bet you can't even zero that rifle short of 500+ yards.

SilverBullet432
03-09-15, 10:32
Awesome shot! I am curious:

Noobish question 1: if he hit all 3 shots in the 36" gong at 3600 yards, would his group be considered MOA?

Noobish question 2: if anyone can shoot sub-MOA at 100 yards, could they also be capable (assuming they knew the formulas or had someone tell them where to point at) of making that shot?

jwfuhrman
03-09-15, 10:44
That's just, wow.

markm
03-09-15, 11:19
Awesome shot! I am curios:

Noobish question 1: if he hit all 3 shots in the 36" gong at 3600 yards, would his group be considered MOA?

Yes.

Noobish question 2: if anyone can shoot sub-MOA at 100 yards, could they also be capable (assuming they knew the formulas or had someone tell them where to point at) of making that shot?

Yes... pretty much. We took a couple of bolt gun/long range newbie guys out last weekend and had them making repeat shots at 500, and respectable shots at 1000 yards.

SilverBullet432
03-09-15, 11:56
Thanks, i figured. Also, I can't believe i mis-spelled curious :sarcastic:

VIP3R 237
03-09-15, 12:11
That's just crazy. At that distance you have to start factoring in the curvature of the earth. :D David

Not just that, you have to factor in how far the earth moves in the 7 seconds of flight time.

Failure2Stop
03-09-15, 12:14

Don't really need to worry about the curvature of the earth so much as the rotation of the earth (coriolis effect):
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/spindrift.html (yeah, it says spin drift, but also discusses the coriolis effect).

TAZ
03-09-15, 14:21

I'll disagree with Markm on this. It takes a bit more that someone telling you where to point the dangerous end to make hits at those distances. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

SteyrAUG
03-09-15, 14:54
I'll disagree with Markm on this. It takes a bit more that someone telling you where to point the dangerous end to make hits at those distances. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

I think Mark was saying the rifle might be able to do it. Obviously small mistakes in hold and trigger break which don't factor heavily at 100 or 200 yards begin to vary results more dramatically at 800 yards and beyond.

MBtech
03-09-15, 15:35
WOW just WOW! Thanks for sharing that. Amazing

SteyrAUG
03-09-15, 18:14
Look at 1:12

The cant on that Picatinny rail is extreme. I bet you can't even zero that rifle short of 500+ yards.

Am I nuts or is it higher in the rear?!? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Failure2Stop
03-09-15, 18:34
Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Nope.
To get longer/higher trajectory the barrel needs to point upward.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba

dwhitehorne
03-09-15, 18:36
Thanks for the corrections. I knew it was something like that. It is quite amazing and way beyond my basis of knowledge. David

Don't really need to worry about the curvature of the earth so much as the rotation of the earth (coriolis effect):
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/spindrift.html (yeah, it says spin drift, but also discusses the coriolis effect).

MountainRaven
03-09-15, 18:42
Not just that, you have to factor in how far the earth moves in the 7 seconds of flight time.

Probably have to account for the tides/gravitational pull of the sun and moon if you shoot much further....

jpmuscle
03-09-15, 18:53
I recall there being a extensive thread over on the centering around a custom build that was supposed to sub moa out to 5k. Supposedly there was some .mil interest in it but the site went FUBAR and idk what happened to it.

krisjon
03-09-15, 18:54
Saw the video the other day. If he indeed walked that in with three shots, that's impressive.

platoonDaddy
03-09-15, 19:28
Friend asked me the following:

Can you tell what type of scope he is using. I did a little calc. and the drop of a 350 gr. .375 with .805 G1 BC is about 5,500 inches at 3,000 yd. (could not find a calculator that went above 3,000 yd). MOA adjustment would be 174 MOA. With a 40 MOA ramp, the scope would need 134 MOA of adjustment. My NightForce has + and - 100 MOA. I don't think I have seen scopes with greater than 120 MOA either side of zero. If he has a MilDot or MOA comp reticle, then he might get another 10 or 12 MOA. Add another 600 yd. and MOA adjustment must be above 230. If this shot is for real, I bet someone spent a lot of time and ammo getting on target before letting the fat guy shoot.

SilverBullet432
03-09-15, 20:10
I just watched the video again. That ranch is not in west texas....... Its nearly in the hill country lmao.

SilverBullet432
03-09-15, 20:23
Friend asked me the following:

Can you tell what type of scope he is using. I did a little calc. and the drop of a 350 gr. .375 with .805 G1 BC is about 5,500 inches at 3,000 yd. (could not find a calculator that went above 3,000 yd). MOA adjustment would be 174 MOA. With a 40 MOA ramp, the scope would need 134 MOA of adjustment. My NightForce has + and - 100 MOA. I don't think I have seen scopes with greater than 120 MOA either side of zero. If he has a MilDot or MOA comp reticle, then he might get another 10 or 12 MOA. Add another 600 yd. and MOA adjustment must be above 230. If this shot is for real, I bet someone spent a lot of time and ammo getting on target before letting the fat guy shoot.

They are using a 150 MOA rail.

SteyrAUG
03-09-15, 20:58
Nope.
To get longer/higher trajectory the barrel needs to point upward.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba

Hopefully that is my "duh" moment for 2015.

Every now and then I have to make front and rear sights with my hands and move them in front of me to relearn very basic things.

Failure2Stop
03-09-15, 21:20

Every now and then I have to make front and rear sights with my hands and move them in front of me to relearn very basic things.
If that's the worst offense I think we'll be in pretty good shape.

MBtech
03-09-15, 21:25
Just curious, what kind of range/distance would one start to consider canting a scope instead of mounting level with the bore? I'm sure there are a lot of different variables to take into account.

cbx
03-09-15, 22:40
Even with the zoom ratio ofthat optic, the target would be very small at that distance......damn.

I don't care how good the rifle, the shooter or how many warm ups he had. Holy shit. That's all that can be said.

rjacobs
03-09-15, 22:49
Last time I ventured out to 1000 with my 308 I put more rounds into the damn 2x2 wood uprights than I did the 10x12 plate I had hanging. My buddy said something when we went down range to get the target like "I thought I heard you hitting wood quite a bit" my only response was "shut up".

3600 is DAMN impressive no matter what, especially on a 1 MOA target.

TAZ
03-09-15, 23:36
Just curious, what kind of range/distance would one start to consider canting a scope instead of mounting level with the bore? I'm sure there are a lot of different variables to take into account.

Depends a lot on the type of round/loading you want to shoot and max range you expect to shoot to. Also on the kind of glass you can afford Want to shoot 308 past 1000 and not be on the ragged edge of a scopes adjustment range you might want an canted base. Every bolt gun I've owned had a 20moa base. I always figured it would be better to have and not need than to one day have a chance at some long shot and bottom out my score.

SteyrAUG
03-09-15, 23:57
If that's the worst offense I think we'll be in pretty good shape.

The best part about the entire thing is I will never need a purpose built rifle designed to shoot anywhere near that distance and as a result I will never need to offset my scope to compensate for such distances so it's something that's ok for me to screw up.

Suffice to say I will never be in danger of putting my offset scope rail on my 2 mile rifle on backwards. That means I only need to remember which way is the front of the Eotech and I'll be good to go.

Ryno12
03-10-15, 06:37

That pales in comparison to your "duh" moment of 2014 where you had mistaken Heather Thomas for Heather Locklear.

:sarcastic:

Eurodriver
03-10-15, 06:47

In my limited experience, I mount everything on a 20 MOA base. Barring extremely unusual circumstances, (maybe never?) if you zero at 100 you'll never have to adjust your POI down, so there is really no point in using a level rail.

SteyrAUG
03-10-15, 14:23
That pales in comparison to your "duh" moment of 2014 where you had mistaken Heather Thomas for Heather Locklear.

:sarcastic:

That one I felt bad about. The worst part was I was absolutely positive I was correct.

platoonDaddy
03-10-15, 18:16
Thats 2700 yds. Now add another 900 yds. to the equation. CheyTac offers 40 MOA base on their rifles, and the author is correct in the addition of ~25 MOA rather than 10-12 as I sated. But this still means one will come up short by quite a few MOA at 3600 yd.

Interesting read follows:

The most elevation I’ve come across on any scope is 140 MOA, which is the max elevation on the Millett LRS scope. However, that leaves you 56 Minutes short. But mount that scope on a 20 MOA base – which I have on my Savage .338 Lapua -- and you now have a total of 160 MOA – yet you’re still 36 MOA low.

Does Any Scope Have Enough Elevation to Reach 2700 Yards?
Here’s one aspect that the critics have correct – I am unaware of any scope made anywhere in the world with enough elevation to make a 2700-yard shot. Even with a 500-yard zero, the Black Hills projectile will impact 5,311 inches low at 2700 feet. Since one Minute of Angle equals 27 inches at 2700 yards, this means a shooter needs 196 MOA of elevation to hit at that distance. (5311 inches divided by 27 = 196 MOA) The most elevation I’ve come across on any scope is 140 MOA, which is the max elevation on the Millett LRS scope. However, that leaves you 56 Minutes short. But mount that scope on a 20 MOA base – which I have on my Savage .338 Lapua -- and you now have a total of 160 MOA – yet you’re still 36 MOA low. What then? With the LRS scope’s Mil-Dot bar reticle, you can squeeze out another 35 MOA by holding 5 mils over the target. Amazingly, you now are within 1 MOA of that incredible elevation. So, hold just a hair higher – and you have enough elevation! Corp. Harrison, who made the 2700-yard shot, told reporters, “I…aimed for extreme range of the weapon.” There’s no question -- he had to.

http://www.millettsights.com/resources/shooting-tips/making-a-2700-yard-shot/

MBtech
03-10-15, 18:33
In my limited experience, I mount everything on a 20 MOA base. Barring extremely unusual circumstances, (maybe never?) if you zero at 100 you'll never have to adjust your POI down, so there is really no point in using a level rail.

I nosed around a little about it, definitely would be better to have than to not have. From what I was reading 0 MOA rail depending on the scope and the round would be good to 600 yards most cases, moving out to 600-1000 needs the 20 MOA. So I agree should just go with 20 from the get go.

MBtech
03-10-15, 18:43
Thats 2700 yds. Now add another 900 yds. to the equation. CheyTac offers 40 MOA base on their rifles, and the author is correct in the addition of ~25 MOA rather than 10-12 as I sated. But this still means one will come up short by quite a few MOA at 3600 yd.

Interesting read follows:

The most elevation I’ve come across on any scope is 140 MOA, which is the max elevation on the Millett LRS scope. However, that leaves you 56 Minutes short. But mount that scope on a 20 MOA base – which I have on my Savage .338 Lapua -- and you now have a total of 160 MOA – yet you’re still 36 MOA low.

Does Any Scope Have Enough Elevation to Reach 2700 Yards?
Here’s one aspect that the critics have correct – I am unaware of any scope made anywhere in the world with enough elevation to make a 2700-yard shot. Even with a 500-yard zero, the Black Hills projectile will impact 5,311 inches low at 2700 feet. Since one Minute of Angle equals 27 inches at 2700 yards, this means a shooter needs 196 MOA of elevation to hit at that distance. (5311 inches divided by 27 = 196 MOA) The most elevation I’ve come across on any scope is 140 MOA, which is the max elevation on the Millett LRS scope. However, that leaves you 56 Minutes short. But mount that scope on a 20 MOA base – which I have on my Savage .338 Lapua -- and you now have a total of 160 MOA – yet you’re still 36 MOA low. What then? With the LRS scope’s Mil-Dot bar reticle, you can squeeze out another 35 MOA by holding 5 mils over the target. Amazingly, you now are within 1 MOA of that incredible elevation. So, hold just a hair higher – and you have enough elevation! Corp. Harrison, who made the 2700-yard shot, told reporters, “I…aimed for extreme range of the weapon.” There’s no question -- he had to.

http://www.millettsights.com/resources/shooting-tips/making-a-2700-yard-shot/

Very cool, good stuff