PDA

View Full Version : Question about cutting SR15 mod 1 upper to 14.5 inches. Any downside?

Rohardi
03-09-15, 21:54
I was wondering if there was any down side to having my SR-15 mod 1 upper cut down to 14.5 inches and having a MAMS welded to it? Is there anything I should take in to account aside from the fact my MAMS would now be welded on to the barrel? I would have the work don my Marvin Pitts, so I know that it will be quality work.

sidewaysil80
03-09-15, 23:48
Seeing as how its a KAC upper, chopping and welding...thus making "not original" can potentially affect the value should you ever sell. Another option would be to just buy a 14.5 from _________ and have that installed as well as the muzzle device pinned/welded. Other than that there are no issues I can think of.

trauma
03-10-15, 03:02
I have a MOD1 and a 14.5, I remember some guys saying that the MOD1 cut to 14.5 was nice because it has a medium contoured barrel hence making it lighter than the dimpled 14.5 when its chopped.

Iraqgunz
03-10-15, 03:45
Why exactly do you want to go through this expense? What do you think you are gaining? Any resale value that upper has will be gone.

w3453l
03-10-15, 12:47
I do agree resale value will be gone, but if YOU like the gun better that way then resale is moot in my opinion.

I'm going to have my barrel on SGL 21 cut back with MD pinned; I know this will kill any resale value. But honestly the gun handles/shoots much better for me that way, and in the end that's what I ultimately care about.

Yeah I may have to eventually sell the gun if who knows what happens, but I'm not planning on that. And I'll take a loss if it means I have a much better shooting rifle right now. If resale was all we really cared about, then we wouldn't really be running any rifles with hard use.

cop1211
03-10-15, 22:08
I had it done with one of my KAC rifles including the MAMS. I also used Pitts , had a full dimple job and swapped the rail to the URX4. Came back super light, and its now my favorite rifle.
Resale will be fine since its KAC.

Boba Fett v2
03-10-15, 23:16
An original KAC 14.5" ball milled upper is tits. Only circumcise the Mod 1 if the Carbine proves too elusive or cost prohibitive, which it probably is due to it being discontinued. But you might get lucky.

scoutfsu99
03-10-15, 23:19
IMO, the resale will be minimally affected. It's a known quality rifle with a known quality guy doing the work. I had him do the same to my SCAR and he's done a bunch of work for me with my MRP's, etc.

I'd think hard about this though. You're going to be tied to a muzzle device unless you go the added expense of having someone remove it. If you end up with a can(s) or want to use other muzzle devices later on, you might find yourself limited. The Mod1 is light enough that I don't think the weight trade off is worth it. I'd leave it alone and spend the money on ammo.

Boba Fett v2
03-10-15, 23:35
The MAMS is a great muzzle device to be married to.

Tecstar1
03-11-15, 00:57
My thoughts are leave the mod 1 alone. It's fine as it is. My 2 cents.

turnburglar
03-11-15, 03:12
I really don't see the juice, being worth the squeeze.

Rohardi
03-11-15, 07:37
Ultimately, I would have loved to find a Mod 1 SBR upper with the dimpled barrel and weld the MAMS to it. But they are like unicorns. If I found one, I would have loved to SBR my lower so I wouldn't have to permanitaly attach the MAMS, but I live in a state that does not allow SBRs or Suppressors. I was lucky enough to find a new MAMS last week, so I'm pretty excited about that. I really like the look of the 14.5 inch mod 1 upper, the shortened length would pay off in home defense with added maneuverability in tight spaces. I don't know how much weight I would lose cutting an inch and a half off the barrle, so that's not a huge motivating factor. But having a rifle slung for 2 or 3 days in class I'll take any weight savings lol

Pappabear
03-11-15, 10:45
I usually prefer to buy new parts to instal, and keep everything in the stash inventory. If you want to put it back for resale or because you don't dig your idea later, you have more options. However, it's your toy so , make your self happy happy happy.

PB

Amur
03-11-15, 12:03
My thoughts are leave the mod 1 alone. It's fine as it is. My 2 cents.

Ultimately, I would have loved to find a Mod 1 SBR upper with the dimpled barrel and weld the MAMS to it. But they are like unicorns. If I found one, I would have loved to SBR my lower so I wouldn't have to permanitaly attach the MAMS, but I live in a state that does not allow SBRs or Suppressors. I was lucky enough to find a new MAMS last week, so I'm pretty excited about that. I really like the look of the 14.5 inch mod 1 upper, the shortened length would pay off in home defense with added maneuverability in tight spaces. I don't know how much weight I would lose cutting an inch and a half off the barrle, so that's not a huge motivating factor. But having a rifle slung for 2 or 3 days in class I'll take any weight savings lol

You mean like this? I had the MAMS pinned and it removed from NFA before I took possession.
http://i59.tinypic.com/2s6x45t.jpg

Amur
03-11-15, 12:05
I think if you want to go for it. It will cost money so you migt lose a 200-300 in equity value between cost and lower resale but to say resale value is gone is vastly exaggerated.

The MAMS is sweet so unless knight comes out with a new MF in the next few years you will be fine wih it.

The only thing is what are you really getting out of it.....not much 1.5"

TMS951
03-11-15, 13:35
Retracted do to incorrect information.

Boba Fett v2
03-11-15, 14:30
Well the 16" is optimized for the KAC intermediate gas system and KAC uses mid length on their 14.5" barrels. To quote the LAV "I'd call that a clue".

The downside would be having bought an upper that a company 'optimized' the gas system of and destroying that work by setting up a gas system no reputable company would ever use.

Plenty of guys running around with chopped 16" SR15s with no issues. Sure the intermediate length gas system is "optimized" for that specific barrel length and profile, but it's really splitting hairs in terms of performance. I opted for a factory 14.5" Carbine with a pinned MAMS, but that's just me. The OP missed a chance to get one at a reasonable price and I don't see anything wrong with his COA if he decides to spend the coin. His toy, his money. To his original question, the only "downside" would be being married to a muzzle device, the cost and time involved, and potential depreciation in resale value (I would argue that having a MAMS would help it retain a lot of it's value). Performance wise, there really is none.

Amur
03-11-15, 14:35
Plenty of guys running around with chopped 16" SR15s with no issues. Sure the intermediate length gas system is "optimized" for that specific barrel length and profile, but it's really splitting hairs in terms of performance. I opted for a factory 14.5" Carbine with a pinned MAMS, but that's just me. The OP missed a chance to get one at a reasonable price and I don't see anything wrong with his COA if he decides to spend the coin. His toy, his money. To his original question, the only "downside" would be being married to a muzzle device, cost and time involved, and potential depreciation in resale value. Performance wise there really is none.

I can see both side of the argument. In one sense I feel it's not worth the cost/effort and I am kind of against changing it from factory spec with the gas length system. At the same time if it floats your boat, and you can afford I am sure it will still shoot fine....

TMS951
03-11-15, 16:25
Retracted do to incorrect information.

To each their own. But I can tell you from personal experience with a SR15 upper, the gas system is already finicky. I had issues with underpowered ammo, milspec bolt carrier and a carbine buffer even. I now use an H buffer and a JP lo-mass bolt carrier with .223 ammo when training. Problem fixed.

cop1211
03-11-15, 23:38
Ive got a chopped 14.5, a factory 14.5 and multiple 16's no difference and no problems with any malf's, from 55grain up to 77. I don't run steel case or Honduran crap.

hjmpanzr
03-12-15, 00:00
Well the 16" is optimized for the KAC intermediate gas system and KAC uses mid length on their 14.5" barrels. To quote the LAV "I'd call that a clue".

The downside would be having bought an upper that a company 'optimized' the gas system of and destroying that work by setting up a gas system no reputable company would ever use.

The gas system on the KAC 14.5" carbine and the Mod 1 are both intermediate length. The difference is in the size of the gas port, which is a bit larger on the 14.5 carbine. Failure2stop (Jack L) posted a bit about this about 2 years ago in the KAC industry sub-forum. But lots of guys have done it without any problems.
I wouldn't cut down the mod 1 because I don't think it's worth it but I have a 14.5" carbine and it's my favorite AR platform rifle so it would make sense if that is what you are chasing or you could wait for the KAC 14.5" mod 2 comes out (although lighter profile barrel and no dimples).
ETA: here's the link: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?127776-Cutting-down-16-quot-SR-15-MOD1-to-14-5-quot

TMS951
03-12-15, 08:16
The gas system on the KAC 14.5" carbine and the Mod 1 are both intermediate length.

I stand corrected.

Amur
03-12-15, 12:09
The gas system on the KAC 14.5" carbine and the Mod 1 are both intermediate length. The difference is in the size of the gas port, which is a bit larger on the 14.5 carbine. Failure2stop (Jack L) posted a bit about this about 2 years ago in the KAC industry sub-forum. But lots of guys have done it without any problems.
I wouldn't cut down the mod 1 because I don't think it's worth it but I have a 14.5" carbine and it's my favorite AR platform rifle so it would make sense if that is what you are chasing or you could wait for the KAC 14.5" mod 2 comes out (although lighter profile barrel and no dimples).
ETA: here's the link: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?127776-Cutting-down-16-quot-SR-15-MOD1-to-14-5-quot

I thought the gas port was SMALLER on the 14.5

Boba Fett v2
03-14-15, 00:55
I thought the gas port was SMALLER on the 14.5
Just slightly more open according to a reputable KAC smith I talk to. I've inquired about this in the past. The difference is so minute that opening the port on a chopped Mod 1 isn't necessary.