PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

das028
09-26-06, 10:25
Ok guys, I'm looking to buy my first AR very shortly. My main use for it would be for plinking, taking ground hogs, and a overally SHTF rifle. I dont own a "battle rifle" yet, but in the wake of Katrina and all these terrorist plots in the US, I'd rather be prepared then not. I do own a few pistols and shotguns, but I dont think they fit the bill as well as a AR would. A pistol, is pistol, and all my shotguns are set up for hunting or clays. I could purchase another shotgun( mossy 590, remington 870, etc...), but I think a nice well made AR would be much more effective.

Anyway, I have been seriously looking at some tier 2 companies and I have narrowed down to three:

Bushmaster "patrolmans" carbine
RRA entry Tactical
Stag model 1 or 2 preban (leaning towards this one)

What can you guys tell me about these? Which one would you recomend and why? Is 4150 grade steel a most, or can I get away with 4140?

I have also thought about throwing the dough down and purchasing a LMT, but I'm kind of hesitant. I really dont know if they are trully worth the extra money, and I dont know if there is a major difference in performance and reliability. Besides I plan on upgrading one of those tier 2 guns, as time goes on, and has I become familiar with it.

BTW, no colts, for reasons I wont get into right now.

SO basically I need some feedback from you experts out there.

Thanks in advance guys.

DAS

-Wes-
09-26-06, 10:49
For the uses you listed, any one of those three manufacturers would be fine. Only things I'd suggest would be to give it a good inspection once you get it.
-Check the carrier stakes.
-Upgrade the extractor spring.
-Receiver plate stake.
Only the Stag will have a mil spec receiver extension.

My first AR was an RRA Entry Tactical, it served me well. All that's left of that original gun is the lower receiver and it's lower part kit. Welcome to the sickness.

Boom
09-26-06, 10:55
DAS

I tend to stay away from the RRA's. I do not like their thin lowers and the barrel steel they use. 4140 is OK but needs more cleaning to prevent rust. If the barrel is chrome lined then its not an issue but most 4140 barrels are not chromed.

Stag seems to make a great gun. I have not shot one but have held many and cannot find fault with them. Several guys I know who shoot a lot seem to like them. I like Bushy, they have a proven record of good guns but they also have bad QC issues, this is not always the case but it does happen. If I was to buy either I would perform some upgrades as a must. The main item would be the BCG.

Its a hard choice. For me it would be Stag or Bushy. I would lean toward the Stag. They seem to have less problems out of the box than Bushy.

Good luck.

svtar15
09-27-06, 15:41
Don't forget about Doublestar!!

TigerStripe
09-27-06, 21:19
If you get a Stag, stake your gas key bolts.

TS

jmart
09-28-06, 08:16
You might want to consider a BM or Stag lower mated with a BCM upper. Note that BCM doesn't come equipped with BCG or charging handles so you'll have to source those also, but they carry both LMT and CMT BCGs. Or you could get Colt or other high quality BCG.

C4IGrant
09-28-06, 12:48
You might want to consider a BM or Stag lower mated with a BCM upper. Note that BCM doesn't come equipped with BCG or charging handles so you'll have to source those also, but they carry both LMT and CMT BCGs. Or you could get Colt or other high quality BCG.

This is the best idea yet!

C4

Voodoochild
09-28-06, 13:27
My first AR was an RRA Entry Tac Chrome lined and I have never had a single problem with it. I have about 3K or so rounds through it.

knightsar
10-04-06, 10:04
+1 for the Stag