PDA

View Full Version : I Need A Rail For 7.5" Barrel With QD Suppressor Mount

officerX
03-12-15, 11:20
I need a rail that will work with my 7.5" barrel with a YHM QD suppressor mount. I really love the BCM KMR but their shortest is 9". From the research I've done it seems that my rail needs to be about .75" shorter than my barrel. I'm not finding any rails that are 6.75". I suppose anything 6" - 6.75" would do (I'd prefer KeyMod). Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

halo2304
03-12-15, 11:50
Odin Works makes a 5.5" but other than that most rails are either 4" or 7" and beyond. You may have to custom chop a rail.

MBtech
03-12-15, 12:04
You may have to custom chop a rail.

Beat me to it, I'd consider cutting one to exactly where you want it.

officerX
03-12-15, 12:18
Hadn't thought about that yet. What do you all think would be best to cut a BCM KMR? I'm not exactly sure what type of material it is.

MBtech
03-12-15, 12:41
It's a blend of aluminum and magnesium alloy. I'd search the net or maybe call a machine shop as far as what kind of saw/blade for a nice clean cut.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?158508-I-chopped-down-my-Midwest-Industries-SCAR17-rail-(PICS)&highlight=chopped+down

A chop saw was used here on a MWI SCAR rail

Bluto
03-12-15, 13:12
By the time you buy a quality rail, chop and refinish it you could have one custom made by these guys: https://unique-ars.com

Ignore the ridiculousness... They make non-mall ninja rails too...

MBtech
03-12-15, 13:19
By the time you buy a quality rail, chop and refinish it you could have one custom made by these guys: https://unique-ars.com

Ignore the ridiculousness... They make non-mall ninja rails too...

Refinish it? Shoot the bare metal with some paint and be done with it. Just my opinion though.

officerX
03-12-15, 13:50
Refinish it? Shoot the bare metal with some paint and be done with it. Just my opinion though.

Yeah, that's definitely what I'd do if I go this route.

I've got a mitre (chop) saw so I may look into getting a good blade and cutting one myself.

officerX
03-15-15, 19:05
I have a 10" compound mitre saw and had decided to buy a special blade to cut the rail with, it's $62 and I'll use it once. Then I thought about my pneumatic cut off wheel. Do you guys think that would work? I agree that a Dremel wouldn't work for the reasons listed in that other thread but the cut off wheel is larger. But I'll be less likely to make good straight cuts.

Inkslinger
03-15-15, 19:09
BCM has a 7" KMR now.

officerX
03-15-15, 19:14
BCM has a 7" KMR now.

That's still .25" too long to work with my suppressor.

officerX
03-15-15, 19:16
I went ahead and ordered a 15" KMR to replace the 13" one on my rifle. I'll cut the 13" down to the size I need. I wanted a 15" on my rifle anyway, it just wasn't available yet when I bought my upper.

Inkslinger
03-15-15, 19:19
I just thought it might be easier to remove .25 than a larger amount.

halo2304
03-16-15, 12:54
I need a rail that will work with my 7.5" barrel with a YHM QD suppressor mount. I really love the BCM KMR but their shortest is 9". From the research I've done it seems that my rail needs to be about .75" shorter than my barrel. I'm not finding any rails that are 6.75". I suppose anything 6" - 6.75" would do (I'd prefer KeyMod). Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
According to my "calcu-measurements", the Troy Bravo rail could be cut to 6.2".

MBtech
03-16-15, 18:50
But I'll be less likely to make good straight cuts.

This would be what I would worry about, I'm sure a good cut off wheel in a die grinder would cut it. If you could scribe a line all the way around and take your time. Would be a no guts no glory kind of thing in my opinion there.

Is there a machine shop or fabricating shop near your location? Maybe take it somewhere, show them exactly where you want it cut and not have to buy the $62 blade. If so I wouldn't think it would cost that much to have one piece cut. Just a thought.

officerX
03-16-15, 18:54
This would be what I would worry about, I'm sure a good cut off wheel in a die grinder would cut it. If you could scribe a line all the way around and take your time. Would be a no guts no glory kind of thing in my opinion there.

Is there a machine shop or fabricating shop near your location? Maybe take it somewhere, show them exactly where you want it cut and not have to buy the $62 blade. If so I wouldn't think it would cost that much to have one piece cut. Just a thought.

Good idea. I'll look into a machine shop in my area. Nothing I know of right off, I'll do some research.