PDA

View Full Version : Dead Air mount... I dont get it?

threeheadeddog
03-12-15, 16:54
Can anyone who has handled one (maybe at SHOT or such) or understands the mount explain it to me. As far as I can tell it looks just like a glorified YHM mount.

What I see. I see a can that instead of threading on to the rifle mount, locks on the mount(meaning stops turning) then threads into the locking ring on the back of the can. The threading goes on until it hits taper(just like the YHM), and it held in place by a series of teeth in line with the can and a spring. It would seem that in both of these that the pressure of the spring is what holds the can in place and the suppressor could back off to the next full tooth and wobble.

Again, why all the hype. All I see is YHM-esk mount with the added benefit of threading on by fine threads on the can as opposed to square cut threads on a mount.

I am actually very interested in the Sandman suppressor. I really like the concept of the muzzle brake with the porting at the front to kill the flash(I hope to see a vid if this actually works) as well as the flash hiding endcap. I like the materials, size, weight, ect, but I think that one of the most important parts of a can is the mount and I dont see anything that interests me here. I am hoping that I just dont get it.

Fireman1291
03-13-15, 08:07
This video may help you. It's the only one I've found that shows the mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJwtKVV5--I