PDA

View Full Version : InSights Training Center - RECONDO

Greg Hamilton
07-08-08, 18:40
InSights Training Center Presents:

RECONDO School

This course will encompass how to patrol, recon, ambush, and raid, and will involve individual and small unit tactics, leadership, planning, operations orders, warning orders, and rehearsals.

One of the ultimate expressions of this was done during the Vietnam War and was know as MACV-RECONDO school . This school was set up by Project Delta (yes, the guys who later founded Delta Force) and then turned over to 5th SFG. This was the basis for LRRP/Ranger type operations in Vietnam. This course will be modeled after that school but with a modern backdrop and modern planning procedures.

There will be instructors from the actual Vietnam Recondo school along with modern experienced Rangers and Special Forces personnel. Outside of the military nothing like this has ever been offered before. Others have done fantasy camps, no one has run the real deal. Most active duty infantrymen never get a chance for this level of training!

This course will be a 24/7 immersion conducted out of a "fire-base" with large military tents and cots, in a training area of more than 800 acres. Food will be provided. The missions will go from very small unit recons, to two-element ambushes, to multi-element raids, with QRF or "hatchet force" operations as well. Basically, 5-6 man to full-class operations. All students will be involved in leadership and planning. This class is not just about tactics-the leadership and planning portions are as important as tactics, as is working as a team. Stress will be induced through the rapid pace: this is a learning tool for leadership and teamwork that cannot be overemphasized.

The course will have plenty of live role players to include "civilians" and each patrol will have an observer/controller/lane-grader with them at all times. Every student will have a chance to work in every role on a team and all of it will be "graded".

This is not a "yell at you and do pushups" course, this is a professionally run course for people that want to learn real skills. Come push yourself and find your limits and what you are still capable of at the ends of your limits. This class will be physical but anyone of reasonable fitness is encouraged to attend. Each mission will include a mile or two total of movement in the woods. The intent is not to "smoke" you with physical skills but to give you enough that you can learn the lessons. Also anyone that needs to take a mission off or suffers some minor injury that does not allow them to continue a patrol will be working in the company HQ helping do the intel fusion, company-level planning, and giving OPORDs to the teams, a learning experience in and of itself. All-in-all over 120 hours of training!

Topics Include:
The concept and history of LRRPs
Individual movement techniques
Small unit tactics/battle drills
Duties of the individual LRRP team members
How to call for artillery fire
How to call for air support
Combat aid and casevac
Area reconnaissance
Point reconnaissance
Ambush
Prisoner snatch
Heavy team raid
Company raid
Combat search and destroy
Combat search and rescue
Quick Reaction Force operations
And much more than can be listed here!

Aug 23-31
Continuous from 12p Saturday until 12p Sunday of the following week so people can fly without taking extra days off. Eight full days of training!

$2,200.00 USD

EQUIPMENT
Basic field gear. Detailed list issued at registration.

http://www.insightstraining.com/us/view_course.asp?courseID=143&categoryID=4

CLHC
07-08-08, 18:53
Wow that's quite a course, and it's within my neck of the woods! :cool:

Cold Zero
07-08-08, 19:07
Nice to see someone thinking creatively. I thought the hardest part of the original class, was a swim test that was in a river with swift current, out and around a floating dock and then back to shore?

Good luck with the course.

AwaySooner
07-08-08, 22:31
Greg trains those who need it regularly as well. Plus team work, communication, planning, performance under stress, these are all skills that should be learned and useful in everyday life. Think of it as motivational class, or public speaking class except with firearms. Airsoft fanatics do this kind of stuff all the time anyway.

Hawkeye
07-09-08, 05:30
Sounds like a great class. If I had the $$ at the moment, I'd do it.

Greg Hamilton
07-10-08, 21:42
The class is coming together well, great facility, OPFOR, etc. here are bios of a few of the people that will be involved in teaching, we also look forward to a few more very experienced veterans as guest instructors and company support.

Greg Hamilton has served as an US Army Ranger and currently serves as a Special Forces soldier. Among other qualifications Greg is a Master Parachutist, Freefall Jumpmaster, Scout Swimmer Instructor, Special Forces Mountain Leader, and a Terminal Attack Controller. Greg has served with the Army’s most elite Reconnaissance unit to exist post-Vietnam, the 75th Ranger Regiments, Regimental Reconnaissance Detachment. Greg has served operationally in Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Iraq.

J.W. is a former Army Ranger, having served over 4 years with 2nd Ranger Battalion during GWOT. He has served over 17 months in Iraq and Afghanistan conducting combat operations, starting as a fireteam member (M203 gunner and M249 gunner), and serving three tours as a team leader (both as a M240 and Carl Gustav AT team leader). JW earned the SGM Robert Spencer Leadership Award from Ranger School, is a Combat Lifesaver and a Combat Tracker. JW is an experienced instructor and leader and is currently in his last year of ROTC and will be returning to the military.

B.C. started his military career as a Force Recon Marine. As a Force Reconnaissance Team member he attended U.S.M.C. Amphibious Reconnaissance School, U.S. Army Parachutists School, U.S. Navy Dive School, U.S. Army Ranger School, and earned his Marine Corps Gold Wings. BC recently served a tour in Afghanistan as an 18B, Special Forces Weapons Sergeant, conducting and leading reconnaissance and combat patrols on the Afghan/Pakistan border in support of GWOT. The USMC Force Reconnaissance Company’s are the U.S. military’s only unbroken chain of recon knowledge and people from Vietnam to the present day.

J.R. stared his military career as an Infantryman in the 101st Airborne in 1968, attended Airborne School, and was the honor graduate of the original RECONDO School started be Gen Westmoreland at Ft Campbell, he then served with the 101 in Phu Bai Vietnam, after his service in Vietnam, he attended ROTC and graduated Ranger School while earning his commission, JR returned to service in Asia where he served for over six months until injured and evacuated back to the States. He resumed Jump status with the 172nd In Alaska, and then he was assigned to the newly formed 2nd Ranger Battalion at Ft Lewis in 1976 and served until 1977 were injuries forced him to leave, He was then the Training Officer for 1st Brigade, 9th Infantry Divisions RECONDO School until it closure in 1977. JR medically retired shortly thereafter. His awards include Awards include EIB, CIB, ABN, Ranger Tab, BS, DSM, LoM, 7 surgeries, and 23 casts.

VA_Dinger
07-11-08, 17:26
Greg, you have the full support of M4C.

I hope your class goes well. I only wish I could attend.

Please contact any M4C Mod/Staff if you need any assistance.

Greg Hamilton
07-12-08, 14:01
Greg, you have the full support of M4C.

I hope your class goes well. I only wish I could attend.

Please contact any M4C Mod/Staff if you need any assistance.

Thank you for that vote of confidence, much appreciated.

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
07-13-08, 02:12
Greg is not only well rounded with experience he is also a phenomenal teacher... anyone would be benefit taking a class from him.
Sounds like an interesting course!

Greg,
Be safe brother.

Iraqgunz
07-14-08, 04:06
I can honestly say that if I wasn't in the kitty box I would probably attend this training. What part of Washington does the training take place?

Greg Hamilton
07-14-08, 11:26
Greg is not only well rounded with experience he is also a phenomenal teacher... anyone would be benefit taking a class from him.
Sounds like an interesting course!

Greg,
Be safe brother.

Thanks Travis, look forward to seeing you again, maybe go to a steakhouse and get some more knives!

Greg Hamilton
07-14-08, 11:30
I can honestly say that if I wasn't in the kitty box I would probably attend this training. What part of Washington does the training take place?

It is probably going to be in OR just over the border from WA, the facility is bigger (1100 acres) and class III friendly. An hour from Portlands airport, three from seatac

Greg Hamilton
07-14-08, 11:35
We are also still conforming our other instructors, but one who is confirmed now is a 101 LRRP from Vietnam who ran recon as an enlisted guy and then came back as a O to be the training officer of Recondo.

Also all the support guys will be vets, they will be helping run the HQ and "flying" the helos (which unfortunaly look a lot like trucks.) One of them is an old friend of mine who started in 77th Special Forces Group! When he went to Vietnam they had duck-hunter camo and M1 carbines!

Iraqgunz
07-14-08, 19:02
Greg,

Thanks for the info. I will have to monitor this for future dates.

It is probably going to be in OR just over the border from WA, the facility is bigger (1100 acres) and class III friendly. An hour from Portlands airport, three from seatac

Greg Hamilton
07-16-08, 21:44
Just had an old friend commit to help. He is a former Company Commander in MACVSOG. His knowledge will add a lot to the ecourse.

Cold Zero
07-16-08, 22:00
Greg:

I know a former MACVSOG Team leader / Sgt. who would likely be interested in this, if you are looking for more staff and he was back from work OCONUS?

Good luck with the class.

AwaySooner
07-16-08, 22:12
Insights is also offering Street and Vehicle Tactics course this weekend. If you are in the area and have nothing better to do this this weekend, come and join us. :D

http://www.insightstraining.com/us/view_course.asp?courseID=26&categoryID=4

Greg Hamilton
07-17-08, 14:06
Greg:

I know a former MACVSOG Team leader / Sgt. who would likely be interested in this, if you are looking for more staff and he was back from work OCONUS?

Good luck with the class.

I'd love to talk to him sometime. This course I only using people I know, just easier that way especially the first run through.

Cold Zero
07-18-08, 22:14
I'd love to talk to him sometime.

Authorization Rec'd. Email sent.