PDA

View Full Version : AR Maintenance, recommended cleaning products/tools?

28_days
07-08-08, 19:31
Before I start let me say that I'm starting from scratch. I currently have a CZ452 .22, and will soon (hopefully) have a CMMG 16" Mid-length Lightweight AR. As of now I have ZERO cleaning products (I decided to sell everything off and start fresh), but am looking to put a small collection together.

As it stands, budget wise, the AR won't see more than 200 rounds at a time. I'm incredibly OCPD, thus it will be cleaned after every range trip. So far I have the following on my "to buy" list:

Cleaning products:
Break-Free CLP (everything)
Break-Free LP (for the bolt/carrier)
Break-Free Foaming Bore Cleaner

So the question is, can I get away with using a .22 boresnake for general purpose cleaning :o , or should I head the old "cleaning kit" direction; more specifically a rod, jag, brass brush, patches, etc.

Does anyone have a step-by-step procedure that they'd like to share, preferably with pictures?

Thanks! :)

watchluvr4ever
07-08-08, 19:48
A lot of people use a bore snake. That should get you by till you can afford a nice cleaning rod and bore guide.

rifleshooter
07-08-08, 20:29
A lot of people use a bore snake. That should get you by till you can afford a nice cleaning rod and bore guide.

What ever you do DON't try pulling a dry boresnake through your ARs bbl. get it really wet with Breakfree CLP before pulling it through. You don't want it to get stuck and if dry chances are it will. Trust me on this item.;)

28_days
07-08-08, 20:53
I guess my big question is that if I clean it religiously, can I get by with just a boresnake for the barrel?

What tools should I look at as far as the internals go?

Externally I'm going to pick up a 1" soft-bristle paint brush to apply light CLP with.

rifleshooter
07-08-08, 21:20
I guess my big question is that if I clean it religiously, can I get by with just a boresnake for the barrel?

What tools should I look at as far as the internals go?

Externally I'm going to pick up a 1" soft-bristle paint brush to apply light CLP with.

You need a 5.56 AR chamber brush this item is very important.
A quality one piece cleaning rod like a dewey is IMHO a must. I find a bore guide a Dewey or Tipton is mighty helpful. Quality bbl. brushs and quality bbl. Jags are a must.

Quality Copper Solvent also Breakfree CLP and my choice of Lub. CrrosionX http://www.corrosionx.com/
Also quality cotton .223/5.56 patchs.

Pipe cleaners for the bolt carrier key.

I have a bolt carrier carbon scraper tool. steve at ADCO has a bunch of quality tools every AR owner needs.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/ProductLine_.cfm?product_category=AR%20Tools/Cleaning&subcategory=AR%20Gunsmithing

28_days
07-08-08, 23:12
Thanks for the info/links!

Does the gas tube need to be cleaned often? The rifle won't see more than 2000 rounds a year, so I'm not sure if this will be necessary.

Anyone else?

rifleshooter
07-09-08, 08:37

Does the gas tube need to be cleaned often? The rifle won't see more than 2000 rounds a year, so I'm not sure if this will be necessary.

Anyone else?

The gas tube really does not need any special cleaning as over 30K of gas pressure keeps it unblocked really well.

The small gaskey on the boltcarrier is very easy to run a pipe cleaner through also through the firing pin hole.

You will quickly learn all the little places to clean using Q-Tips and ways to make the cleaning process go quickly and made easy.

Remember one very important item. NEVER iNEVER EVER install the bolt into the carrier without the bolt campin installed. If you leave the campin out and install the bolt and carrier into your AR and the campin turns and trust me it will somehow turn and then you will have a locked in bolt&carrier. And it's not and easy task getting it unlocked.:(

Iraqgunz
07-09-08, 13:47
Unless you are using some type of chemical solvent sticking a pipe cleaner in the gas tube or the bolt carrier key will do nothing much, but keep you occupied.

Anyone else?

Paulinski
07-09-08, 14:19
I use nylon brushes from Dewy to clean my barrels.

markm
07-09-08, 14:27
You need a 5.56 AR chamber brush this item is very important.
A quality one piece cleaning rod like a dewey is IMHO a must. I find a bore guide a Dewey or Tipton is mighty helpful. Quality bbl. brushs and quality bbl. Jags are a must.

I skip the bore guide and jags. I use my Dewey rod with slotted tips to pull patches thru the bore military style instead of pushing thru. I have to take the upper completely off, but I do that anyway to clean the carbon out of the receiver.

rifleshooter
07-09-08, 15:16
I skip the bore guide and jags. I use my Dewey rod with slotted tips to pull patches thru the bore military style instead of pushing thru. I have to take the upper completely off, but I do that anyway to clean the carbon out of the receiver.

A bore guide speeds up the process and protects the crown while cleaning the bore. Using a .223 Jag does a much better job of cleaning the bbls. lands and groves.
You can just use a slotted patch holder drag the patch through as many time as you wish. Then use a .223 Jag and clean patch and see how much stuff got missed.;)

I know it's quick and easy just giving it the drag through military deal but if one really wants to get a quality cleaning job done on your bore use a bore guide and Jags.
Dewey and Tipton don't make them because they just want more money it's because people want them and buy them.:)

markm
07-09-08, 15:39
I'd have to sit down with you to get the propper jag training. I'm not saying I don't believe you..... it's just that SEEING is truly believing.

Those jags freak me out. And I can get a pretty tight patch through by pulling it.

28_days
07-09-08, 15:55
Can anyone provide links to what kind of products they're talking about. Being a a bit of a cleaning novice, some of this information can confuse me.

I always thought you had a rod, and the heads it accepts are called jags, mops, or brushes. Is this incorrect?

As long as you go from chamber to muzzle you won't have to worry about damaging the crown right?

So many questions... :p

rifleshooter
07-09-08, 16:36
Can anyone provide links to what kind of products they're talking about. Being a a bit of a cleaning novice, some of this information can confuse me.

I always thought you had a rod, and the heads it accepts are called jags, mops, or brushes. Is this incorrect?

As long as you go from chamber to muzzle you won't have to worry about damaging the crown right?

So many questions... :p

Here are some firearm cleaning product URLs

http://www.deweyrods.com/cgi-bin/ccp5/cp-app.cgi?usr=DEWEY28&pg=cat&ref=SPEC

www.proshotproducts.com

http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/ProductLine_.cfm?product_category=AR%20Tools/Cleaning&subcategory=AR%20Gunsmithing

28_days
07-09-08, 21:08
Thanks everyone! I went ahead and purchased this Dewey Kit: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CLN017-44925-855.html

HES
07-09-08, 23:20
This is how I clean.
Break the weapon down
Fill the barrel with foaming boar cleaner
Use non chlorinated brake cleaner on all the other parts (knocks off most of the carbon)
Use a solvent (Hoppes, Eds Red, etc..) and an assortment of bras brushes, Q tips, cloth diapers, and scraping tools on the bolt and bolt carrier group and fire control group to get the last bit of carbon.
Blow out the barrel, chamber, and upper with non chlorinated brake cleaner.
Use chamber brush and Q tips on the chamber.
OTIS cleaning kit on the barrel (bore brush) and then a bore snake and then the Otis with patches (though I am considering getting a one piece rod).
After this, after my weapon is absolutely clean, I lubricate (thats another thread) and reassemble.
Takes me about an hour to clean the rifle. One key is to make sure your weapon is properly lubricated prior to firing. It helps to make clean up easier (I'll fire about 100 rounds a pop at the range, once or twice a month).

rifleshooter
07-10-08, 09:09
Thanks everyone! I went ahead and purchased this Dewey Kit: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CLN017-44925-855.html

Thats a nice chamber cleaning rod but your going to need a much longer rod to get throught the bbl.;)

28_days
07-10-08, 12:09
Yes I know. :)

I have a generic Hoppes cleaning rod kit that is 8x32 thread as well, I figure that I can use the chamber cleaning rod for double duty.

Is there any reason why this might not work?

P.S. - I'm still a bit confused what the "chamber guide" does for me though. Without having the kit/AR here, it makes it difficult to get a sense for size.

rifleshooter
07-10-08, 12:19
Yes I know. :)

I have a generic Hoppes cleaning rod kit that is 8x32 thread as well, I figure that I can use the chamber cleaning rod for double duty.

Is there any reason why this might not work?

P.S. - I'm still a bit confused what the "chamber guide" does for me though. Without having the kit/AR here, it makes it difficult to get a sense for size.

I just like a one piece cleaning rod for my ARs you will quickly find their bores are really tight with a quality 223/5.56 bronze brush. Any bending of a two piece rod causes sides of the rod to drag on the lands and groves inside the bbl.

Using my boreguide installed I have a rubber block on floor and with the cleaning rod and bronze brush installed I softly bump the rod through the bbl. while holding the upper. Makes it really easy. Then I remove the bronze brush before pulling the cleaning rod back out. This works for me others might differ.

markm
07-10-08, 12:35
I just like a one piece cleaning rod for my ARs you will quickly find their bores are really tight with a quality 223/5.56 bronze brush. Any bending of a two piece rod causes sides of the rod to drag on the lands and groves inside the bbl.

That's why I like to pull through. Even though it's a little more work, I don't have to pay close attention to my cleaning. I STILL use a Dewey rod though.

28_days
07-10-08, 13:15
Oh, I didn't even thinking about that!

So the general consensus is a quality 1 piece rod? When they say it's 16", do they mean 16" usable, or the complete length of the rod assembly?

Something like this? http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=790365&t=11082005#enalarge

Otherwise what about the Otis style flexible cleaning rods? Yay or nay on those?

markm
07-10-08, 13:27
The 24" Dewey is perfect for 14.5" and shorter barrels.

You might want to go with the 32". You can use that one on everything, but it's a pain for cleaning SBRs.

rifleshooter
07-10-08, 13:47
The 24" Dewey is perfect for 14.5" and shorter barrels.

You might want to go with the 32". You can use that one on everything, but it's a pain for cleaning SBRs.

I layed a tape on my Dewey and it's 36" to the edge of the handle they may call it a 35".
It's pretty long but I did not want to come up short if I needed a longer rod. And since I stand it on my rubber block and tap it softly through the bbl. it's right for me.:)

markm
07-10-08, 13:52
I layed a tape on my Dewey and it's 36" to the edge of the handle they may call it a 35".
It's pretty long but I did not want to come up short if I needed a longer rod. And since I stand it on my rubber block and tap it softly through the bbl. it's right for me.:)

That would be the one. I was guesstimating off of my 24". I have one of each.

28_days
07-10-08, 14:50
Excellent. That should be long enough to get my CZ452 as well. Granted I can't take it with me (to the range) due to its size, but that's what the boresnake is for!

I'll assume things such as jags, brushes, etc. are self explanatory. Unless there's a good reason to go with a nylon set that is.

Fringe
07-10-08, 15:17
I went straight to Dewey and talked to them and they recommended a 30" which I bought. I have never seen these anywhere else but Dewey. I just got it and will use it tonight and comment. Great rod though.

28_days
07-10-08, 16:05
Well I measured my CZ452 and it's a 28inch barrel. Thus I've decided to go with this (as previously recommended): http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=389149

The question now is what heads? The Dewey takes 8x36 male, but MidwayUSA only offers 8x32. This is far more complicated than it needs to be. :(

rifleshooter
07-10-08, 16:11
Well I measured my CZ452 and it's a 28inch barrel. Thus I've decided to go with this (as previously recommended): http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=389149

The question now is what heads? The Dewey takes 8x36 male, but MidwayUSA only offers 8x32. This is far more complicated than it needs to be. :(

You should get and adapter from the 8x32 to the 8x36 I got one with my Dewey Rod.

28_days
07-10-08, 16:14
You're correct. I totally skipped over that. I've become overwhelmed by cleaning supplies. Fantastic.

rifleshooter
07-10-08, 16:31
You're correct. I totally skipped over that. I've become overwhelmed by cleaning supplies. Fantastic.

You get what you have and start working then when you come to something that you need to do something you get it.

I have made more trips to local firearm stores and hunted many hours on the Net. for special tools and cleaning items.

It just takes time and I might add buying this book The AR-15 Complete Owners Guide by Walt Kuleck with Scott Duff is a really good investment at $20 if one wants a book with loads if quality AR INFO.;)

28_days
07-10-08, 16:39
You get what you have and start working then when you come to something that you need to do something you get it.

I have made more trips to local firearm stores and hunted many hours on the Net. for special tools and cleaning items.

It just takes time and I might add buying this book The AR-15 Complete Owners Guide by Walt Kuleck with Scott Duff is a really good investment at $20 if one wants a book with loads if quality AR INFO.;)

Thanks for the recommendation.

My last two questions, hopefully, regards the included adapter. You said it converts the 8x36 to 8x32, does that mean it then excepts 8x32 female or male heads? Likewise, just to confirm, a 30" rod should have 30" of usable length correct? They aren't adding the handle in there? (I was a little unclear on this from the answers given).

Iraqgunz
07-10-08, 17:03
You can buy thread adaptors through Brownells in order to use 8/32 and 8/36 thread rods, brushes, etc...

rifleshooter
07-10-08, 17:06
Thanks for the recommendation.

My last two questions, hopefully, regards the included adapter. You said it converts the 8x36 to 8x32, does that mean it then excepts 8x32 female or male heads? Likewise, just to confirm, a 30" rod should have 30" of usable length correct? They aren't adding the handle in there? (I was a little unclear on this from the answers given).

Your Dewey rod has a male threaded end attached you get a two ended female adapter this allows it to be attached to the Dewey Rod and for the male 8x32 that your non Dewey type cleaning tools will attach to your Dewey rod.

Here is a picture of all my cleaning stuff.
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/photobug4741/?action=view&current=MyCleaningStuff.jpg

rifleshooter
07-10-08, 17:10
You can buy thread adaptors through Brownells in order to use 8/32 and 8/36 thread rods, brushes, etc...

You can find just about everything firearm related at Brownell's trust me they have everything and I have bought a lot of my special tools like hollow pin installing punchs from them.

Brownell's and ADCO also The Bravo Company have just about anything you need for servicing or building the AR.

28_days
07-10-08, 17:14
Your Dewey rod has a male threaded end attached you get a two ended female adapter this allows it to be attached to the Dewey Rod and for the male 8x32 that your non Dewey type cleaning tools will attach to your Dewey rod.

Here is a picture of all my cleaning stuff.
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/photobug4741/?action=view&current=MyCleaningStuff.jpg

Awesome. Looks like I'm all set from here out then! :)

Unless anyone has some nice cleaning resources, a la step-by-step pictures for cleaning the chamber, barrel, exterior, etc.

Evan_O
07-10-08, 18:53
28 Days,
I don't remember it it was posted on this site or if I read it in SWAT magazine but Pat Rogers did a great write up on cleaning the AR. Maybe try a search on here using his name (Pat_Rogers). If you can't find it, shoot me a pm and I will check my back issues of SWAT. If I find the artical, I'll scan it for you and email it to you.

I found it very useful and actually less involved than I thought it would be. Also Pat puts and sees a lot of rounds down range. He knows what he's talking about from experience.

Tom_Jones
07-10-08, 19:06
deleted

28_days
07-10-08, 19:48
Thanks Evan_0 and Tom_Jones! :)

RogerinTPA
07-10-08, 23:25
I've never been a Breakfree/CLP fan in 20+ years of Military service. There are better non-toxic cleaners and lubes out there. IIRC, there was a post about CLP doing any of the three purposes it was designed to do very well. I like Hoppes products and WD-40 for cleaners and Militec or Slip for lubes,YMMV, but in the end, any lube will do.

watchluvr4ever
07-10-08, 23:32
At the link below there are a couple of good videos showing how to clean your AR. :)

http://www.gunsmokeenterprises.net/AR15_Videos.html

28_days
07-11-08, 04:13
At the link below there are a couple of good videos showing how to clean your AR. :)

http://www.gunsmokeenterprises.net/AR15_Videos.html

Thanks! I installed the Download Helper extension for Firefox and downloaded both of the videos for future use. :D