PDA

View Full Version : Double Standard - Retired CO shoots and kills man in NYC Subway

El Cid
03-13-15, 19:38
I'm not really surprised anymore. This happened Tuesday night and it's not anywhere I've seen in the media unless I search for it. A couple thugs (deceased had served time) harass an older man on the subway. They may have pushed or punched him depending on which article you read. They use a racial slur (shooter is black) and the old man pulls a gun.

Seems the old man is a retired Corrections Officer (retired in 1993). Here's the problem though. The thugs run off and the retired CO pursues. He is claiming he wanted to perform a citizens arrest. I don't know what the laws are for such things in NYC, but the video looks bad. He corners the thug and punches him. They close and he shoots the thug. It's on a cell phone video.

So a black man (retired LE) shoots and kills a man (Hispanic) and the media doesn't care. Al Sharpton, the AG, POTUS, don't care... We all know what would be happening if the retired CO was white and the thug black.

For the record - I'm not saying it's a bad shoot. I don't have enough information to determine anything yet. But watching the video it looks like the CO will need a very good lawyer.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/03/10/man-shot-wounded-in-subway-station-in-downtown-brooklyn/

duece71
03-13-15, 20:21
Remember what happened to Bernie Goetz?? The reverse situation you talk about has already happened, albeit in a different time with very different attitudes. Race baiters are in the game so to speak for the shakedown. If nothing or very little can be gained, they will not make the effort. The Ferguson fire is still burning and continues to have life.

MBtech
03-13-15, 23:21
The thugs run off and the retired CO pursues

Going to take a pretty good lawyer, he made the mistake of turning the thug into the victim.

Iraqgunz
03-14-15, 03:21
Another good example of knowing when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em.

Averageman
03-14-15, 07:06
I would think he was good right up until he pursued them, at that point the only folks who will win will be the Lawyers.

WillBrink
03-14-15, 09:43
Borough Hall subway station. That used to be the station I used all the time as a kid. They don't seem to mention if the gun was legal.

ChicagoTex
03-14-15, 19:31
Interesting story, shockingly bad judgement on behalf of the retired CO. Even in states where the letter of the law potentially allows someone to use deadly force to prevent the escape of a felon/enact a citizen's arrest, it's a very difficult and expensive justification to pull off. I'm no expert on NY or NYC law, but it seems likely the DA will view it as a man bringing a gun to a fist fight he started, which any way you cut it equals potentially many, many years in prison (not a pleasant fate for a former corrections officer, unfortunately). Unless he's secretly rich and can afford his own dream team, I see this ending in a quiet plea bargain for 10 years+.

Eurodriver
03-14-15, 19:48
Borough Hall subway station. That used to be the station I used all the time as a kid. They don't seem to mention if the gun was legal.

Do people always talk like they did in the video?

Why does that Aaron kid not know how to pronounce the letters "O" or "R"?

El Cid
03-14-15, 21:33
Remember what happened to Bernie Goetz?? The reverse situation you talk about has already happened, albeit in a different time with very different attitudes. Race baiters are in the game so to speak for the shakedown. If nothing or very little can be gained, they will not make the effort. The Ferguson fire is still burning and continues to have life.

Funny enough when I searched it I found an article where Bernie gives his take on it and proclaims the shooting as justified.

Will, a couple of links mentioned the gun was licensed and legal. The CO was interviewed and released by NYPD.