PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 Apex extractor?

PatrioticDisorder
03-14-15, 19:46
So checking out Apex Tactical's website it seems they same the FRE extractor is not compatible with the model 26. Is there any reason the FRE wouldn't work with the 26? I'm asking here because it seems there is no longer an Apex Sub forum.

kantstudien
03-16-15, 02:18
Not sure why it doesn't work, but it certainly doesn't. Installed Apex extractors on a pair of Gen 3 26s and they both became literal jam-o-matics. Like every other round had a failure to feed or a failure to extract.

A call to Apex revealed that the 26 has different tolerances and that they could make it work if you send them your slide and they machined out your slide to fit that particular extractor (or vice versa, I can't remember the exact conversation).

So on the 26 you need to stick with the factory extractor or else send your slide to Apex and let them fit it for you.

PatrioticDisorder
03-16-15, 10:08
What chaffs my ass is I shot 300 rounds through my 26, 250 of 115 blazer brass and 50 of HST 124, HST I had zero brass to the face, but the blazer brass 2-3 out of every 10 round magazine came back at me, some straight back into my face. Ironically when I gave the 26 the old "limp wrist" test shooting 1 handed holding on with just my middle finger, ZERO brass to the face. Could it be my grip is too firm?

I just cannot understand why Glock can't get their shit together, this has been like 4 years of this crap now! My old 19 from 2008 functions like a sewing machine with perfect ejection pattern. My new Gen4 19 will throw an occasional piece of brass back at me, but whatever I expected to have to put an Apex extractor in. Now I'm probably going to have to contact Apex and hope they can install their extractor.

Now I'm worried the new 43 single stack may have BTF issues, looks like I'll be sitting out waiting to see some reviews first... Rant over

GUNSLINGER733
03-16-15, 19:38
How far are you seeing casings eject. My new gen 4 17 looks like they just flop out. Factory loads and my hand loads and my m&p shield throws them 5-8 feet. Lol

PatrioticDisorder
03-16-15, 20:33
How far are you seeing casings eject. My new gen 4 17 looks like they just flop out. Factory loads and my hand loads and my m&p shield throws them 5-8 feet. Lol

A lot of casings on the right arm, more so with the 19 but the 26 is the one throwing brass back at me. I'm gonna try some lawman I think, see how the gun runs with some 124gr lawman.

GUNSLINGER733
03-16-15, 22:39
I know mine usually "Drops" then it seems like. No failures to feed, stove pipes, etc but weak ejection. Most of my loads are max or near max hand loads too. I usually run 115 Berrys, 124 Berrys and mid Atlantic cast 125gr bullets. Getting 1150+ fps. Same loads in shield throw the hell out of them.

PatrioticDisorder
03-17-15, 06:09
I know mine usually "Drops" then it seems like. No failures to feed, stove pipes, etc but weak ejection. Most of my loads are max or near max hand loads too. I usually run 115 Berrys, 124 Berrys and mid Atlantic cast 125gr bullets. Getting 1150+ fps. Same loads in shield throw the hell out of them.

No malfunctions for me either, carry ammo ejects fine so brass to the eyeball during a defensive shooting isn't a real concern, brass to the face with target ammo is more of an annoyance than anything. It still pisses me off, my M&Ps & VP9 spit brass 3-4 O'Clock every time regardless of ammo.

TimeOnTarget
03-17-15, 10:33
I put an Apex Gen 3 extractor in my Gen 3 G26, and it runs just fine. I have no more brass to face.

I also installed an HRED. http://www.whitesounddefense.com/products/H.R.E.D.-9mm.html

I figured that Apex had simply not tested the extractor enough to stand behind it for the G26 yet.

Do you guys really thing these parts are different? I certainly may be wrong, but I have had no malfunctions so far. I will shoot it some more when I get back home.

PatrioticDisorder
03-17-15, 11:27
I put an Apex Gen 3 extractor in my Gen 3 G26, and it runs just fine. I have no more brass to face.

I also installed an HRED. http://www.whitesounddefense.com/products/H.R.E.D.-9mm.html

I figured that Apex had simply not tested the extractor enough to stand behind it for the G26 yet.

Do you guys really thing these parts are different? I certainly may be wrong, but I have had no malfunctions so far. I will shoot it some more when I get back home.

I've been in contact with Apex, still waiting to hear some more specifics from them but I believe the apex FRE has caused some failure to feed and eject issues in some 26s which is why it isn't listed as a drop in part.

captdreifus
03-19-15, 00:24
My gen 3 G26 has the apex extractor, their plunger spring, and non-lci Spring load Bearing. No more brass to face.

PatrioticDisorder
03-19-15, 06:26
My gen 3 G26 has the apex extractor, their plunger spring, and non-lci Spring load Bearing. No more brass to face.

Good to hear, I ordered 2 apex extractors, 1 for the 19 & 26 (and non LCI SLB) so we shall see...

jck397
05-21-15, 01:21
I just e-mailed Apex asking for an update on their timeline for a G26-approved extractor.

Tonight I shot my G26 gen. 4 FDE (serial #YGExxx) for the first time and got one failure to extract and two BTF out of 200 rounds. The gun is in stock condition except for an Apex Ultimate Safety Plunger and Glock factory maritime spring cups. The gun was purchased new before shooting tonight, and was not cleaned, but field stripped and Slip 2000 EWG grease was liberally applied before shooting. The magazines used were the three that came with the gun, along with three other factory G26 magazines that are less than two years old, with minimal round count/time loaded. I was firing SHO (right hand) within the first 50 rounds with the gun canted at about 45 degrees when the malfunction occurred. The spent case was pulled about halfway out of the chamber, with the live round underneath. The slide was difficult to retract, and the spent case had to be shaken out of the chamber.

There is a fairly noticeable burr on the rim of the case, which seems to be separate from the extractor mark (for reference, the burr is below the second "M" and the space in "9mm LUGER" while the extractor mark seems to be at the edge of the leg in the "R," although admittedly I'm not a tool mark examiner. Also, interestingly enough, the case that malfunctioned came from a box of Super-X with brass cases, while the other three boxes that I shot tonight had nickel-plated cases. I had 2 BTF with the nickel cases (one SHO I believe, one two-handed). I also shot several other magazines SHO, and one magazine weak-handed, and other than the BTF (IIRC), there were no issues.

Between shooting SHO, the gun being new, the gun being lubed only without cleaning, and the burr on the case that might or might not have been there before I I'm not ready to go all chicken little about this particular pistol. That being said, I expect better performance out of a new pistol, particularly when using 147 gr. ammo. I have a lot of faith in the Apex extractors, and having one available for this pistol (combined with 500-1000 trouble-free rounds) would go a long way to earning my trust. Hopefully Randy Lee and crew will respond quickly.

I will update this forum if/when I hear back from the mad scientist geniuses from the PRK.

jck397
05-22-15, 12:51
I talked to the nice people at Apex today, and they told me that the issues with the Apex extractor in the G26 are cosmetic, not performance related--specifically the extractor sticks out of the slide a little bit. They said that it wasn't enough that it would affect fit in holsters. I went ahead and ordered a Gen. 4 extractor for my G26 and will see how the gun does then. If that doesn't fix the issue, they said they have a small number of extractors on hand that the could fit, but it would require slide modification.

PatrioticDisorder
05-22-15, 13:17
I talked to the nice people at Apex today, and they told me that the issues with the Apex extractor in the G26 are cosmetic, not performance related--specifically the extractor sticks out of the slide a little bit. They said that it wasn't enough that it would affect fit in holsters. I went ahead and ordered a Gen. 4 extractor for my G26 and will see how the gun does then. If that doesn't fix the issue, they said they have a small number of extractors on hand that the could fit, but it would require slide modification.

Sucks your pistol is giving you BTF with 147gr, mine has ran like a charm with anything outside weak 115gr. I tried Thr Apex and it made BTF worse in the G26 Gen4, it also didn't pass the 1911 extractor test. The Apex in my G19 Gen4 fixed the issue and did pass 1911 extractor test. YMMV but I'm pretty sure the difference with the G26 is more than cosmetic.

jck397
05-22-15, 13:22
Sucks your pistol is giving you BTF with 147gr, mine has ran like a charm with anything outside weak 115gr. I tried Thr Apex and it made BTF worse in the G26 Gen4, it also didn't pass the 1911 extractor test. The Apex in my G19 Gen4 fixed the issue and did pass 1911 extractor test. YMMV but I'm pretty sure the difference with the G26 is more than cosmetic.

I'm just going off what Apex told me directly when I called them today. I'll report on the new extractor once it comes and see how it does.

dc202
05-24-15, 18:16
Definitely the first time I have heard this and reason for me to be concerned. I installed a Apex FRE for the Gen 4 in my Gen 4 G26 more than a year ago and have fired hundreds of rounds through it with no problem. I carry this gun frequently so if there is a problem with the design, I need to worry.

teksid
05-24-15, 18:44
Which extractor do you have OP? 336 or 30274?

mattieb
05-25-15, 08:15
Which extractor do you have OP? 336 or 30274?

I'm pretty sure those are ejectors not extractors

teksid
05-25-15, 10:03
I'm pretty sure those are ejectors not extractors

Yes I know. I am just wondering if these guys have tried ejectors. I assume they have since this is what cured my Gen4 26 and 17 back in 2011. I just want to make sure that's ruled out.

mini14jac
05-27-15, 20:20
My Gen 4 G26 wasn't throwing brass to my face.
It was hardly "throwing" brass at all! :mad:
Brass was literally rolling off the back of my hand when shooting most target ammo.

I installed the Lone Wolf extractor for $16 and have been a happy camper ever since.

jck397
05-30-15, 03:25
Got the Apex Gen. 4 extractor today and installed it with the non-LCI SLB as recommended. It doesn't stick out of the slide at all like Apex warned it might--it seems to fit quite well. The extractor is angled very slightly inward towards the chamber when the pistol is unloaded:

However, the extractor is flush once a round is chambered:

It actually looks like it lines up a little more evenly with the slide cutout than the Apex extractor does in my Gen. 4 G19.

The chambered round kicked out pretty well when manually cycling the slide with no magazine in place, for what little that indicates. Unfortunately I won't have the chance to shoot it for another week or so, but I will update once I do.

jck397
07-07-15, 23:51
So here's the update...

Ran the gun with the Apex extractor installed and 147 gr. ammo. No malfunctions with the mag in place. Tried the 1911 extractor test, got a malfunction on the first round, with the spent case trapped inside the magwell below the feed ramp. Second shot with the 1911 extractor test fell out the mag well. At that point, saw a pattern forming, gave up on the test. I shot with the mag in for the rest of the session and had no malfunctions, but inconsistent ejection.

Played with the weapon at home. Extractor would hold actual cases, but AZooms with their thin rims would slide off. As a comparison, my 05 SIG 220 and my 06 G19 would hold the AZooms no problem. My reliable black G26 (albeit with inconsistent ejection) would let them slip off, but three guns would eject the AZooms out the ejection port with no mag inserted. The FDE 26 would not.

Fitted the extractor by filing the fit pad per Apex instructions. Took off quite a bit, and got to the point where the weapon would consistently eject live rounds out the ejection port, and would eject the AZooms about half the time.

Off to shooting. Picked up the weakest ammo I could find, as the gun was going to have to prove itself to me if I would ever trust it for carry. Tried the extractor text, got a failure to extract with the spent case stovepiping out the side of the ejection port. With the mag in the gun functioned, but ejection was inconsistent. Interestingly enough, the looser I held the gun, the further it would eject. Holding it tightly caused the cases to dribble out. Had another experienced shooter present, and he shot the gun with the same results.

Ended up selling the gun at a loss to the shooter who was with me. This is my third Glock 9mm with issues to the point where I couldn't trust it for carry. While I like a lot of things about the platform, I just don't have the time and money to chase problems rather than focusing on shooting. While I don't plan to get rid of my five vetted Glocks, I also don't plan to buy any more. I'm wringing out a P2000/P2000SK LEM combo for AIWB, and like that I can focus on learning the trigger and drawstroke, rather than focusing on whether or not the gun is doing what it's supposed to.

samuse
07-08-15, 07:36
There's no fixing those Glocks that run like that.

You'll be well served with the P2000. Imo it's an awesome pistol.

CAVDOC
07-08-15, 07:51
The 1911 extractor test is NOT applicable to glocks it proves nothing
Was not too long ago ( yes I am an old guy) that having any auto pistol function with any degree of reliability with hp ammo was a rare bird now we have people nit picking over ejection patterns- those old enough can see back and see how far pistols have come in two generations ! If your gun runs it runs leave it alone if it doesn't fix it.
Erratic ejection or brass to face may not be pleasant for some people but sometimes the best fix is just to keep shooting it and ignore where the brass goes.
I have had countless times at the range when practicing or shooting a match that once I was done I had numerous marks on my face forehead or hat from ejected brass ( especially shooting through windows and doors where brass bounces all over) and until someone points it out after the fact I would not have even noticed

jpmuscle
07-08-15, 08:02
Was not too long ago ( yes I am an old guy) that having any auto pistol function with any degree of reliability with hp ammo was a rare bird now we have people nit picking over ejection patterns- those old enough can see back and see how far pistols have come in two generations ! If your gun runs it runs leave it alone if it doesn't fix it.
Erratic ejection or brass to face may not be pleasant for some people but sometimes the best fix is just to keep shooting it and ignore where the brass goes.
I have had countless times at the range when practicing or shooting a match that once I was done I had numerous marks on my face forehead or hat from ejected brass ( especially shooting through windows and doors where brass bounces all over) and until someone points it out after the fact I would not have even noticed
Personally I'm inclined to agree with this, to a point. If the gun goes bang when you pull the trigger and you can make hits with it the rest superfluous. That being said it is beyond me how 4+ years of this BTF crap and Glock still hasn't addressed it. Hello?? The slides are out of spec so fix the damn tooling and stop cooking up Band-Aids.

jck397
07-22-15, 11:59
The way I see it is this: a Glock that does not pass the 1911 extractor test may function just fine under normal shooting conditions (many Glocks are like this); a Glock that does pass the test can pretty much be depended on to function fine. My decision to dump the gun was not the result of the 1911 extractor test (a test I don't even run with my other guns), but was instead because, after demonstrating unreliability in stock form and even with fitting the Apex extractor to the extremes of its recommended tolerances, the extractor tension was still far looser than 1) guns from other manufacturers that have proven reliable, and 2) other Glock 9mms that have proven reliable over high round counts.

Did the gun function under optimal conditions when used properly? Yes. Does that change the fact that the slide was either out-of-spec or at least at the extreme ends of the permissible tolerances? No. Did I personally trust the gun to function in less-than optimal conditions? No. And I wouldn't have until it performed reliably over a significant time period. However, I would rather focus my time, energy, and money into building skills, not trouble-shooting my equipment. So with the plethora of other weapons available that meet my needs and have a better history of reliability, I moved on.

The 1911 extractor test and the info about ejection patterns were mainly just data points that I felt might be of interest to this community--please feel free to use that information or disregard it as you see fit.

Mjolnir
08-06-15, 05:56
White Sound Defense has their HRED that should provide more spring tension if required.

I've not tried it; but I know of a few who have and they say it works wonderfully. Your mileage may vary.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Mjolnir
08-06-15, 05:57

Until brass hits you in the eye...

Of course, when competing, plinking and classes one will be wearing shooting glasses.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

GregP220
08-06-15, 08:48
I have 2 Gen4 17s (built in 2014 and 2015 respectively) and neither have produced BTF (or any other malfs) but one had the super weak ejection pattern where the brass was farting out and hitting my forearm with anything short of full house loads.

I actually found it distracting while shooting to see tumbling brass.

I ended up deciding the pistol was behaving like it was oversprung so I replaced the dual recoil spring assembly with an adapter and a stainless guide rod and a 15 pound ISMI recoil spring. (Stock is supposed to be 17 pounds and that is pretty stout for a 9 mm.) Ejection is now positive and the brass shoots out to the side and out of my field of vision when I'm trying to focus on the front sight.

Oddly, the other 17 ejects fine and the number on the RSA is the same as the one that was feeble.