PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce Mil-Dot vs. MIL-R reticles?

PatrioticDisorder
03-15-15, 16:09
For the 2.5-10, which is prefered and why?

sevenhelmet
03-15-15, 16:50
What type of targets and ranges?

Your reticule subtensions will vary with magnification since that is an SFP scope, so I would go with whichever reticule you like best. I personally think holdover/windage and range estimation is easier with a reticule like the MIL-R, but YMMV based on how you use the scope.

PatrioticDisorder
03-15-15, 16:54
It would be going on a SCAR 17s, longest range within an hours drive is 500 yards, for me to shoot out to 1,000 I'd have to drive 3 hours. Even then I don't think I'd shoot much past 600 yards anyway, maybe try my luck at 800 yards if I happen to make it out to that range.

sevenhelmet
03-15-15, 17:55
For those ranges, you will likely be using 10x a lot which would make the stadia lines accurate- so I'd choose the MIL-R. You may even want a scope with more magnification, but that's up to you- sounds like you have a solid rifle and scope picked out!

Onyx Z
03-16-15, 08:29
I don't have a NF, but I find MIL-R type reticles much cleaner to look at and easier to use.

samuse
03-16-15, 19:17
I's go with the MOAR reticle. I think in yards and MOA.

HD1911
03-16-15, 19:29
Mildot... Mil-R is too busy and too fine

PatrioticDisorder
03-20-15, 04:31
For those ranges, you will likely be using 10x a lot which would make the stadia lines accurate- so I'd choose the MIL-R. You may even want a scope with more magnification, but that's up to you- sounds like you have a solid rifle and scope picked out!

So I got to play with the x32 & x42 the other day, I liked the 42 a wee bit better except I couldn't figure out how to use the digillum button correctly? Is there some kind of super secret way of working it?

SavageBrew84
03-20-15, 14:02
It's kind of finicky, you have to hold it for about 5 seconds to switch between the green/red and then about 8 second hold for use with NVG's. Switching between brightness settings is a single push with 5 settings for each color and it will blink 3 times to tell you when it is at it's high/low setting. Usually it's about a 1-2 second hold to get it to turn off. I don't use the illumination too awful much as it's not daylight bright by any means. I have the Mil-R reticle and I'm pretty happy with it.

Singlestack Wonder
03-20-15, 15:15
On a recent build, I looked at the MIL-R in person but the the stadia (at least for my eyes) was too small and I stuck with the MIL-DOT (I have other Nightforce scopes with the MIL-DOT). Commonality is a good thing as well.

TehLlama
03-22-15, 14:58
I consider MLR to be slightly better as an FFP reticle, since it's usable at the reduced zoom, but does give up a touch at the top end (more ideal for the 3.5-15x IMO). For the 2.5-10x, hands down the Mil-Dot takes it.

PatrioticDisorder
03-23-15, 05:26
I consider MLR to be slightly better as an FFP reticle, since it's usable at the reduced zoom, but does give up a touch at the top end (more ideal for the 3.5-15x IMO). For the 2.5-10x, hands down the Mil-Dot takes it.

One more question, is the parallax adjustment useful on the x42 or is it not needed?

TehLlama
03-23-15, 08:57
It's a nice to have feature, but my NXS unit is the 3.5-15x50mm where that adjustment makes more sense. Transparent at the low end, but I've found I do a lot better working on groups at range having taken the time to dial that in. That said, now that I dink with mine, it's an SFP optic - but I have wished in the past that they'd offer it as an FFP option (since the hollow oversized stadia are still quite useful).

PatrioticDisorder
03-23-15, 11:31
It's a nice to have feature, but my NXS unit is the 3.5-15x50mm where that adjustment makes more sense. Transparent at the low end, but I've found I do a lot better working on groups at range having taken the time to dial that in. That said, now that I dink with mine, it's an SFP optic - but I have wished in the past that they'd offer it as an FFP option (since the hollow oversized stadia are still quite useful).

Thanks, based on your opinion I'm leaning towards the x32 mil/mil Mil dot model, I don't like the ilkumination button on the x42 anyway.

gamewarden
04-19-15, 11:57
I had the 32 with mil-dot...sold it...is limited past 800 due to poor ranging capabilities. For me the 42 with Mil-R is a vast improvement in my opinion in every aspect. I also prefer the illumination solely because it's harder for me to leave on and burn batteries...but that's probably just me.

PatrioticDisorder
04-19-15, 12:25
I picked up the Mil Dot, .mil adjustment x32 version. I think it will fit what I want it to do just fine. It will be going on my SCAR 17s once the SCAR Bobro QD mount is released (any day at this point). I only have relatively easy access to a 500 yard range. Closest 1,000 yard range is around 4 hours away and even if I take a trip there, besides not sure the role of the 17s is really to be a 1,000 yard rifle anyway...

l8apex
04-20-15, 17:06
Have both, prefer the Mil-R in the 2.5-10. Really depends on shooter preference. I also prefer finer lines for precision work. YMMV.

ccoker
04-22-15, 15:59
Have both, prefer the Mil-R in the 2.5-10. Really depends on shooter preference. I also prefer finer lines for precision work. YMMV.

I would agree, my only real issue with the Mil-R is it is a bit fine for hunting use..