PDA

View Full Version : 700P Vs. 700 SPS Tactical?

cctroupe11
03-15-15, 16:18
Looking for some firsthand experience on these two different models. I'm looking for a reasonably priced bolt gun to build on along and along.

What I've noticed from holding one is that the SPS Hogue stock is a little too gummy and flexy for my tastes, whereas the 700P's barrel is longer than I would like.

Anyone recommend one over the other? Or would I be better off just saving up twice as much and buying a 5R like I want?

CRT2
03-16-15, 06:06
I have a 700 SPS AAC. Sub-MOA with 168 gr A-MAX. Hogue stock had to be relieved to ensure barrel free float. Rifle configuration now: McMillan A3 stock, Timney 510 trigger, and Wilson Combat muzzle brake. Running NF 3.5-15 F1 LV.5 scope. I am happy with accuracy, reliability and it is pretty. Barrel length: shouldn't effect accuracy but may effect velocity and performance beyond 800 yards. As to which to choose - sounds like you want the 5R.

Eurodriver
03-16-15, 06:14
The 700P comes with an HS Precision stock. If you do not plan on upgrading the stock, it is a good rifle. I had one for quite a few years and it shot very well. I did cut the barrel down to 20" however, as 26" is kind of nuts.

Of course, I would never buy another Remington but some people get lucky.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/100_2654_zps90b5c596.jpg

cbx
03-16-15, 08:03
eurodriver, you mentioned in another thread that you had issues with that build. Do you mind telling us? If you don't want to say publicly, could you pm me. The reason I ask is I'm getting ready to do something similar. Thanks.

cctroupe11
03-16-15, 09:53
Euro driver - I didn't even think about cutting down the barrel. How much should I expect it cost to have it cut and re-crowned? Also, is the HS Precision stock floated and rigid enough not to flex and touch the barrel?

Dist. Expert 26
03-16-15, 11:45
My build started as a 700 SPS and I couldn't be happier with it. The Hogue stock was pretty worthless, but that was my only real complaint.

cctroupe11
03-16-15, 15:48
Just saw the 700P LTR...looks more along the lines of what I'm looking for. Anyone had experience with this?

Guns-up.50
03-16-15, 21:53
I have a pss just bought a bartlien for it, now I have a pss barrel sitting around, just buy a donor action and get a quality barrel for it. Save yourself on the parts not to mention its cheaper in the long run.

As far as your question my pss was shooting 175smk approx 200 fps faster than my friends sps 20 inch and grouped 3/4 moa. Since 175 is the heaviest i shoot the pss was a better choice for a stock gun.

Eurodriver
03-17-15, 05:53
eurodriver, you mentioned in another thread that you had issues with that build. Do you mind telling us? If you don't want to say publicly, could you pm me. The reason I ask is I'm getting ready to do something similar. Thanks.

I don't mind at all. If you look at the recent thread I made in this subforum you can read all the info yourself, but basically I bought an AAC-SD branded SPS and I couldn't even reliably hit an 18" Gong at 600 yards, or a baseball at 100. Terrible groups with every type of ammo I could find and three different optics.

After speaking with Remington, they won't even consider a barrel a defect unless it produces 4 MOA groups or larger. That's an unsat standard, IMHO, and there are much better options out there (like Tikka).

Euro driver - I didn't even think about cutting down the barrel. How much should I expect it cost to have it cut and re-crowned? Also, is the HS Precision stock floated and rigid enough not to flex and touch the barrel?

Looks like you're already considering the LTR, which I recommend, but I think ADCO did my work for about $140. That included threading. The HS Precision stock is an excellent stock and definitely rigid enough.

If you want a good out of the box gun, the Remington 700P series are good stuff (Assuming it shoots right. See above) However if you plan on building your own rifle, I'd go the Guns-up.50 route and just buy your own action. That way you don't have to worry about throwing stuff away or trying to sell used stuff that you originally paid for on the 700P. I would not even buy a 700P if I planned on swapping out the stock as you'll end up losing money over buying an SPS and buying your own stock.

Just saw the 700P LTR...looks more along the lines of what I'm looking for. Anyone had experience with this?

It's a standard Rem700 PSS with a 20" fluted barrel. That is the route I wish I went when I got my 26" PSS.

Guns-up.50
03-17-15, 09:32
Unfortunately this is the lesson I learned the hard way.

That way you don't have to worry about throwing stuff away or trying to sell used stuff that you originally paid for on the 700P. I would not even buy a 700P if I planned on swapping out the stock as you'll end up losing money over buying an SPS and buying your own stock.

cctroupe11
03-17-15, 12:10
I'm not planning on changing a lot of stuff such as barrel or stock, as long as they're good for me. The main things I want to do is add a DBM, larger bolt knob, etc.

CRT2
03-17-15, 16:15
I'm not planning on changing a lot of stuff such as barrel or stock, as long as they're good for me. The main things I want to do is add a DBM, larger bolt knob, etc.

For DBM, take a look at American Precision Arms. https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/triggerguards/redesigned-trigger-guard-rtg-sa-rtg-sa/

RegisteredTM
04-03-15, 17:57

Most likely you're gonna have to get some work done to a factory stock in order to put in a DBM unless there's one out there that works with the factory BDL inlet. I would suggest getting the less expensive SPS tactical and get a better aftermarket stock that has the proper inletting for the particular DBM that you want. Then, when you shoot the factory barrel out, upgrade to a nice Bartlein 5R or another one of the many fine barrels out there. I think the factory SPS barrel would serve you well until you shoot it out.