PDA

View Full Version : Walmart - any lights worth buying?

Scotter260
03-16-15, 00:26
I was bored while at Walmart today and was looking at the flashlights. Some were rated at some pretty high lumens.

Are there any of these that aren't total garbage and would be adequate for junk-drawer/storage room shelf duty?

Co-gnARR
03-16-15, 00:44
I "think" I once saw a polymer bodied Surefire light in one of the rotating gun cases at the main Wally here... can't remember if was ghetto mart or a military exchange- both give me the same here-jeebies sometimes. Your question would be a little easier to answer if you listed brands and/or lumen ratings or construction materials for the lights you ogled.

Scotter260
03-16-15, 12:16
The ones that stand out were Bushnell's with Kree bulbs. I think they ran from 100 to 1014 lumens.

There was also one brand - Ozark Mountains maybe - that were similar.

I think prices ran from several dollars to $40ish and IIRC most if not all came with batteries ranging from AA to CR123s.

Co-gnARR
03-16-15, 12:55
I think the Ozarks and any other brands that aren't "big name" will be fine for your purposes. You might also find great deals at HD or Lowes. I picked up a pair of LED lights on clearance at HD for $4 and they are plenty bright. They have a strobe feature, so I gave one to my wife to carry in her purse or car. The other is her bedside light for when we lose power. Also find a 3 pack of flexible clip lights at Costco for $10. These have a red light in addition to white, so I put one in the safe, and the other two on our nightstands. The red is great for preserving night vision, just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Co-gnARR
03-16-15, 13:00
Oh, forgot to mention- the one brand that really surprised me for failing to live up to my expectations was Nite-Ize (sic). This was the LED upgrade kit for Maglights, which were my go to lights before LEDs flooded the market. The tail click button was unreliable and the LED head was fussy about staying on if the light was moving, like when crawling around under something or working in a tight engine compartment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lobstradomus
03-16-15, 17:30
I find myself doing the same thing, although it's usually at Home Depot, but never see any general usage type lights worth the cost. Lights I can tear apart to use as a host for a specific project like a monster thrower however....

In my opinion for glove box, work bench, kitchen drawer lights I still find it hard to beat paying <$30 for a Solarforce host and whatever drop-in I think will fit my needs for the intended usage. To me there is something appealing about choosing the number of modes, the amount of light output, the beam tint and profile, etc.

samuse
03-16-15, 19:15
Hell the Wal-Marts around here have Surefire X300Us, Scouts and P Series handhelds.

Scotter260
03-16-15, 19:16
God Bless Texas!

Co-gnARR
03-16-15, 19:57
Hell the Wal-Marts around here have Surefire X300Us, Scouts and P Series handhelds.
Are they priced better than more traditional vendors?

nimdabew
03-16-15, 23:14
FLASH LIGHT (http://www.amazon.com/WAYLLSHINE-Flashlight-Adjustable-Camping-Activities/dp/B00828MZ3W/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1426565570&sr=8-13&keywords=led+flashlights) x 10. Seriously. I have 5 of them and wish I had 5 more. Who doesn't have dozens of AA batteries laying around? Who doesn't need a flash light for every room? They are bright with great flood. Don't expect surefire type lights as if you chucked them at the ground, they would probably stop working, but for $3.88, who cares?

MBtech
03-20-15, 22:07
I have a few of these I really like. http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=254
I didn't get it from Walmart, but I've seen Streamlights there before.

samuse
03-22-15, 15:05
Are they priced better than more traditional vendors?

Nope. They're at MSRP!

zombiescometh
03-22-15, 16:33
Depends on the Walmart I just got a surefire mini scout light for $150

Co-gnARR
03-22-15, 17:27
Nope. They're at MSRP!
Sweet. I guess I need to start sweeping through Wally a bit more.