PDA

View Full Version : Sig p320- could have been great

bear13
03-17-15, 15:18
Why did sig not build the p320 on a new platform? I understand saving money but if they would have built it on a new frame. They could have made a lot of money. The trigger is great, but the grip is so so. Why not a p226 e2 style grip? Or release a new lower with different grip style? It just bums me out that they could have made a really sweet gun but took the easy road. The vp9 was based off a gun that has a big following and has some of the best ergos so that makes more sense. But the p250 was terrible imo.

DBZ220
03-17-15, 16:55
Every report I've seen on the P320 has been great. A few departments have picked it up too. My samples have been flawless. In the end time will tell but so far so good IMO.

WickedWillis
03-17-15, 17:36
It's been an incredibly popular handgun for Sig and is selling very well. I am sure they would disagree with your statement. If you want a smaller P226 with E2's buy a P229.

JHC
03-17-15, 18:38
I think the 320 is an exceptional pistol. I think folks over think the grip stuff.

bear13
03-17-15, 18:39
A p229 is not a polymer striker gun. I did not say I wanted a smaller p226. Just that the e2 grips did a good job of picking up a lot of p226 detractors because of the grip size. I did not say it is a pos. I like it a lot. You do not think if they made it look a lot less p250 and have better ergos that more people would not get on board? Every detractor I have spoke to about it had the same reaction to seeing it. P250 with a striker. The p250 was not the second coming of christ. I believe they will sell a bunch of them. My point is they could have sold more. They took the easy way around, that is a fact.

bear13
03-17-15, 18:46
I think the 320 is an exceptional pistol. I think folks over think the grip stuff.

There is a lot to be said for a gun that is more than just functional. I do not like my yukon just cause it drives good. I like it cause it's lifted and loud. It is enjoyable because it serves two functions. Just like my pro street truck. I know I am not the only one who feels this way.

piedrarc
03-17-15, 19:02
To each his own. Some like it, some don't.

I happen to enjoy it and in my opinion it's better than the VP9. I personally can't find fault with the weapon.

El Cid
03-17-15, 19:30
Why did sig not build the p320 on a new platform? I understand saving money but if they would have built it on a new frame. They could have made a lot of money. The trigger is great, but the grip is so so. Why not a p226 e2 style grip? Or release a new lower with different grip style? It just bums me out that they could have made a really sweet gun but took the easy road. The vp9 was based off a gun that has a big following and has some of the best ergos so that makes more sense. But the p250 was terrible imo.

So you're complaining that Sig used an existing platform (P250) to build the 320. Then your suggestion is that they should have used the 226 E2 (an existing platform)?? You're entitled to your opinion but every person I know who has handled a P320 has only praises for it. I cannot say that about the E2 grip - like many I've seen post, I find the grip horrible and think the original 226 was superior.

Ever since getting my paws on a P320 at a local match I've said that if Sig has their QC issues under control, the P320 will be stealing LE contracts left and right. I'm sorry you feel they weren't innovative enough but it doesn't make sense to reinvent something that works. I think it will prove to be a great handgun and for the first time in a decade am impressed with a Sig product. They can't make everyone happy and no gun will fit everyone's hand. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But that doesn't mean they screwed up in any way.

t15
03-17-15, 20:04
I shot a friends recently and really liked everything about it right out of the box. The grip size, angle, and texture I thought were very nice. I like the P250 grip as well, so color me biased. The trigger was so good it had me rethinking my Glock addiction.

bear13
03-17-15, 20:37
So you're complaining that Sig used an existing platform (P250) to build the 320. Then your suggestion is that they should have used the 226 E2 (an existing platform)?? You're entitled to your opinion but every person I know who has handled a P320 has only praises for it. I cannot say that about the E2 grip - like many I've seen post, I find the grip horrible and think the original 226 was superior.

Ever since getting my paws on a P320 at a local match I've said that if Sig has their QC issues under control, the P320 will be stealing LE contracts left and right. I'm sorry you feel they weren't innovative enough but it doesn't make sense to reinvent something that works. I think it will prove to be a great handgun and for the first time in a decade am impressed with a Sig product. They can't make everyone happy and no gun will fit everyone's hand. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But that doesn't mean they screwed up in any way.

I am not saying they should build a striker p226. I should have phrased it better. The style of grip, the texture. A little more rounded. Something different. Same as the e2 grips when released. They were different than before. They caught new users attention. SOMETHING NEW. I'll say it again I like the p320, I simply wish they would have made it look like a new Sig. Yes my opinion. But there are a lot more like me. I am not saying do not buy it or it sucks.

Biggy
03-17-15, 22:54
I own a VP9 and a P320c . This might seem hard to believe, but I prefer the 320's grip over my VP9's grip. I like to use a high grip when shooting my pistols, but doing so with the VP9, my fingers are kind of crowded and slightly pinched by the finger grooves. I would have preferred if they would have just left the finger groove off. YMMV Also, I think Sig could have used a little more aggressive texture on the grip of the 320, and came up higher on the front strap with it. I think Sig has a lower profile take down lever in the works for the 320 also.

Surf
03-18-15, 00:01
The P320 grip module is ripe for modification, also cheap and easy to replace. New triggers, new takedown, new slide stops available / on the way. The grip module is also ripe for producing variations galore. I think this is a big step forward for Sig Sauer and a nice fit landing solid in the striker fired market. Just goes to show you can't please everyone and they will be sure to let everyone know about it.

Maiden3.16
03-18-15, 00:06
I agree with the OP here, and I own a 320. I think a newer looking grip would have been better than the exact grip from the 250. The fact it is called the 320 and not the P250s is only because of marketing. However, it is nice as an owner to know that there are already aftermarket accessories that fit the 320 only because it was based off the 250.

The cool thing is that the grip can still be changed to something newer pretty easily with it being unserialized. I believe the 250 grip went through a couple changes. I would be excited to see some aftermarket grips being made by companies like Magpul, Lone wolf, etc.

mrosamilia
03-18-15, 00:54
Becoming my favorite striker for carry. I have the medium C and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bear13
03-18-15, 06:37
I agree with the OP here, and I own a 320. I think a newer looking grip would have been better than the exact grip from the 250. The fact it is called the 320 and not the P250s is only because of marketing. However, it is nice as an owner to know that there are already aftermarket accessories that fit the 320 only because it was based off the 250.

The cool thing is that the grip can still be changed to something newer pretty easily with it being unserialized. I believe the 250 grip went through a couple changes. I would be excited to see some aftermarket grips being made by companies like Magpul, Lone wolf, etc.

Aftermarket grips would be great. I like the modular design and the trigger is really good. I think I am going to pick up the p320c to go with the vp9 and fns9. I am glad they stepped up and built a nice sfa.

falnovice
03-18-15, 19:55
I expect in the next couple years there will be a plethora of options for the P320. Dozens of different grips, maybe even taking different magazines. Taller, shorter, thicker, thinner. I expect some one at some point will offer a rough thick grip that people can carve down on their own. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if some inventive sort came out with an aluminium grip/frame designed to either match the feel of other legacy guns or allow the use of grip panels.
The first person that comes up with a frame that will allow the use of HK P30 grip panels will be rich.
Damn, I should have kept that idea to myself.

Thing is, those grips are incredibly cheap to make. And not technically complicated. Magpul should have a diverse line of them in no time, in many exciting flavors.

djegators
03-19-15, 07:19
The P320 grip module is ripe for modification, also cheap and easy to replace. New triggers, new takedown, new slide stops available / on the way. The grip module is also ripe for producing variations galore. I think this is a big step forward for Sig Sauer and a nice fit landing solid in the striker fired market. Just goes to show you can't please everyone and they will be sure to let everyone know about it.

This. As the 320 is really taking off with LEO, it will soon carry over to other markets and will really take in custom work.

Father of 3
03-19-15, 20:22
I remember holding a P250 compact about 2 years ago and thinking "This gun is the same size as a G19 with the same capacity but feels WAY better. If only they would make this in a striker fired this platform." Well here we are but some people like silver and some like gold, YMMV. It's all subjective.

I agree with what others have said. The fact that the removable trigger assembly is the serialized part and thus the firearm, this opens up the door to a whole new world of possibilities. Like an aftermarket frame that takes Glock mags for example. Or frames that have a more aggressive texture/stippling versus some that are smoother. This could be the new Lego of the handgun world.

MountainRaven
03-19-15, 20:45
I don't like the P320.

But that's just because I can't get over how much like a P250 it looks and feels.

Your mileage may vary.

Noodles
03-23-15, 11:59

Want to upvote.

SpecWired
03-23-15, 13:38
Logistically and cost wise it makes 100% sense to have commonality on the P320 and P250.

Figure the P250 was released in 2007, so at the very least, half of the R&D costs for the P320 have been spread over about a decade, which makes the pistol easier to sell affordably and support after the sale.

Noodles
03-23-15, 13:53
Logistically and cost wise it makes 100% sense to have commonality on the P320 and P250.

Figure the P250 was released in 2007, so at the very least, have of the R&D costs for the P320 have been spread over about a decade, which makes the pistol easier to sell affordably and support after the sale.

Yea. I've kicked around the idea that maybe I should have a least one hammer fired handgun... If I owned a P320, owning the 250 would be entirely obvious.

brickboy240
03-23-15, 14:06
Couldn't you texture the grip frame much like some do with Glocks?

If so...this would help greatly.

I did not like the stock P250 grip either. My brother bought one and I got to shoot it quite a bit. The trigger was terrible and that might have been why I disliked the P250 so much.

If you could texture the grip of the P320....and it looks like you can...it might feel better in the hand who knows?

Grips are a personal thing though. Some are bothered by one while others might love it.

With some super aggressive stippling in certain areas...I might like the P320's grip...who knows?

Maiden3.16
03-23-15, 14:59
Couldn't you texture the grip frame much like some do with Glocks?

If so...this would help greatly.

I did not like the stock P250 grip either. My brother bought one and I got to shoot it quite a bit. The trigger was terrible and that might have been why I disliked the P250 so much.

If you could texture the grip of the P320....and it looks like you can...it might feel better in the hand who knows?

Grips are a personal thing though. Some are bothered by one while others might love it.

With some super aggressive stippling in certain areas...I might like the P320's grip...who knows?

Sure can: http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah270/Maiden316/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspxy1c1m3.jpg (http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/Maiden316/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspxy1c1m3.jpg.html)
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah270/Maiden316/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpszem3syo3.jpg (http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/Maiden316/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpszem3syo3.jpg.html)

I think these are much easier to work on that glocks too, and less risky being that the frame is easily and cheaply replaceable.

djegators
03-23-15, 16:05
Sure can: http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah270/Maiden316/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspxy1c1m3.jpg (http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/Maiden316/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspxy1c1m3.jpg.html)
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah270/Maiden316/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpszem3syo3.jpg (http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/Maiden316/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpszem3syo3.jpg.html)

I think these are much easier to work on that glocks too, and less risky being that the frame is easily and cheaply replaceable.

You did the work? Looks good. My understanding is that the polymer is a bit harder than GLOCK's.

Maiden3.16
03-23-15, 16:14
Yeah that's mine, thanks. I have found that the 320 polymer is actually a bit softer than the glock frame.

dookie1481
03-23-15, 22:50
I don't like the P320.

But that's just because I can't get over how much like a P250 it looks and feels.

Your mileage may vary.

Just goes to show how prone people are to let their reptile brain overpower their logical brain.

dookie1481
03-23-15, 22:51
BTW, this thing is BEGGING for an aftermarket slide release.

Leftie
03-23-15, 23:00
It's also begging for a new frame that looks extremely similar to that of a 1911! Haven't shot one yet, but it bothered me that the bore axis is still so high when I got a chance to handle it.

Maiden3.16
03-23-15, 23:53

And takedown lever

Maiden3.16
03-23-15, 23:54

And takedown lever

brickboy240
03-24-15, 10:55
Wow...that frame looks grippy with the texturing.

That was my beef against the P250 (besides its terrible trigger) we that if you shoot where it is hot and humid...the P250 frame moves around in your hands on long shooting sessions and does not inspire confidence.

The P320 with some HK-grippy texturing might be something I should look at. They are sure prices right around here and if I screw up the stippling...the frames are pretty cheap and easy to replace.

FAB45
05-06-15, 19:53
I love my full size medium Sig P320. Zero issues so far using about 800 rounds standard Aguila 124 gr ammo.

RWH24
05-06-15, 21:56
There is a lot to be said for a gun that is more than just functional. I do not like my yukon just cause it drives good. I like it cause it's lifted and loud. It is enjoyable because it serves two functions. Just like my pro street truck. I know I am not the only one who feels this way.

Seems you like Chevy, Then if you don't like Sig's grip, buy a M&P or Glock, Maybe an H&K VP9 or Springfield.
I don't badmouth Glock just because it does not fit my hand and the grip angle sux.
Never liked the plow handle of Colt Revolvers including the DA like Pythons and Troopers and Lawman.
I shot S&W N frames.

There are many choices, try another instead of bashing a premier manufacture.

floridaBMW
05-07-15, 23:02
Hi folks I'm new to the forum but wanted to give my .02. I had recently purchased a 320C and absolutely love it. I'm a relatively new firearms owner, my only real experience came from the Marine Corps back in the 90's. As a new user I wanted a striker fired pistol and love the fact that I can easily pull the trigger group out and plop it into a new frame. No pins to mess with, easy peasy. It shoots great, the M grip fits comfortably enough and I recently purchased a frame on eBay for $40 shipped. The modularity was a big seller for me. I'm not saying ur opinion is wrong (OP), this is simply mine.

Ken

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/floridaaudi/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zps2658d91c.jpg

RWH24
05-07-15, 23:14
I love my full size medium Sig P320. Zero issues so far using about 800 rounds standard Aguila 124 gr ammo.

I have got to where I only order 124 gr FMJ for range use. I think most 9mm pistols run better on 124 gr.

brickboy240
05-08-15, 10:57
Are the P320s not running well with 115gr ammo?

I have not seen that complaint...most reviews I see on this gun are positive.

Might look into the mid sized 9mm later on this year.

About time SIG had another winner in its line up.

floridaBMW
05-08-15, 11:26
I've run mostly 115gr assorted fmj with zero issues. Also put my 124 JHP and not a hiccup either.

Ken

mbinky
05-08-15, 11:45
P320 compact here. So far I have shot 285 rounds. All were flawless.
100 Georgia Arms 124gr FMJ
100 IMI 115gr FMJ
50 Winchester Ranger 147gr JHP
35 Federal 124gr +P HST
The 124grs were the most accurate. And this pistol is accurate! The 147's shot a little high. Everything was 7-10 yards.

brickboy240
05-08-15, 11:57
Yep...the 147s also shoot high in my G19, G17 and P228.

124s and 115s are dead on with a 6 o'clock hold.

147s just seem to shoot high in most average 9mm pistol sights.

Maiden3.16
05-08-15, 17:11
After months with the P320, I don't think it beats out the glock 17/19. The trigger in the 320 is better, the looks are better, and the modularity is nice but the now $400 conversion kits kill it.

What tips the scales toward the glock for me is the bore axis. The P320 just feels bulky after shooting the glock. Also, the subcompact frame is only marginally smaller than the 19. I use the subcompact frame in a compact slide for carry. It works great, however, the 19 (with a longer barrel/sigh radius) carries as well with a very slightly longer grip.

I'm still a P320 fan. It's a hell of a gun. The potential is still not fully realized IMO. But for now, it is not the Glock killer I hoped it would be.

mbinky
05-08-15, 19:53
I don't see how the lack of conversion kits kill it. How many conversion kits does Glock sell? Wether it was in the marketing or not, the competition should be pistol to pistol. When I compare things, I compare equals, or at least things in the same class. When I buy a pistol, I don't want it to be something different. I do not buy on the hope of conversion. I do not have AR's that I can change like a transformer. I didn't buy my Glock 19 wishing I could change it to a Glock 17. Same goes for the P320.

As for high bore axis, what a myth...the one pistol I shoot the best, even after having more rounds down range with a Glock, is a Sig Pro SP2022. Oh no, it has a high bore axis! If anything a low bore axis masks a shooters fundamental flaws.

Is the P320C slightly larger than a Glock 19? Yup. Buy slightly. I have been trying for years to find a pistol to replace my G19 as my normal carry. Nothing has come close. But I am thinking the superior ergo's I feel on the Sig, plus the easier recoil for follow up shots (not to mention the better accuracy) might just make this Sig the Glock killer for me.

Maiden3.16
05-08-15, 20:11
I'm not saying the price of the conversion kits kill the gun in general, it just kills modularity as an advantage, at least until the price drops (hopefully.) It doesn't take away from the gun, but doesn't add to it as much as it should due to the price. But comparing equals the 19 carries the same amount of rounds with a shorter grip and a longer barrel and sight radius than the 320c. I disagree on the bore axis myth but that an argument for a different day. I can see why it may be a glock killer for you and like I said I think it's a great gun and I love mine. However, as of now after using and carrying the 320 for a few months I prefer the glocks. And I didn't want to. I may feel differently at some point because I don't think the full potential of the 320 has been realized yet.

bear13
05-08-15, 20:49
I like the gun. I never said I did not. I still feel they could have changed the frame up and gave it a little more flash. Or something less p250. I have a vp9, ergos are great and the trigger is good. I like the trigger on the p320 more. I liked the idea of being able to change the gun around given a need. If I get one it will be the p320c. So far that has felt the best to me. I am glad Sig is doing good with it. I have not had the same feel out of the p320 as my vp9. The vp9 for me is stupid accurate. Not saying the Sig is not. Just in my hands or anyone that picks up the HK they make good hits. I have not shot a p320c enough to make a judgement against the HK. But it sure does feel better in my hand than the fullsize.

FishTaco
05-11-15, 21:25
I think it's a pretty good looking gun. All business but with some angles that are actually quite nice.